(Topic ID: 135038)

Kiss LE - Where the hell is the power button to turn it on?

By Barakawins1

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 271 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Pinzzz
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

FullSizeRender.jpeg
ziggypiggy.png
IMG_1153.jpg
FuggolegesVideo-StarWarsSkinnyEdition.jpg
21.jpg
00295535-016668_500.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-08-09_at_12.42.06_AM.png
Leather_.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Put_the_belt_in_the_bucket_sir.jpg
IMG_1493.jpg
image.jpg
butt.png
King-Size_Homer.png
KISS-GENE-SIMMONS-DEMON-INFLATABLE-TONGUE.jpg

There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
#101 8 years ago

Wow, is it April 1st?

#102 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Fortunately my pinball outlet is controlled by a wall swich.

I like that from a distance, you can tell when he's turned on.

437333-i.jpg437333-i.jpg

#103 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I like that from a distance, you can tell when he's turned on.

437333-i.jpg

Needs to be marked unsafe for a certain crew.

#104 8 years ago

I had the same problem when I first bought a SWEP1

#105 8 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Omg they moved the power switch. Big deal instead if bending over to turn it in you have to lean forward a lil bit.

Shoo away little one. I'm looking at the schedule in California and it's one of your two days to shower.

#106 8 years ago
Quoted from wizard_mode:

Strange that some are so fired up about this switch location and how Stern supposedly doesn't give a crap about their customers' feelings in their pursuit to reduce costs. My 2 cents is that for that length of wire the cost savings is only $1 or less per machine. I don't know how many they plan to produce but even if its 5k that's only a $5k piece cost reduction. Very unlikely that Stern is that hard up for ca$h.

Likely this particular decision was not entirely due to cost savings, but this is the same company that decided to use pegs instead of service rails in the Pro models, so let's not assume too much.

#107 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Needs to be marked unsafe for a certain crew.

Relax. No matter what your beliefs it's only a wall switch.

wallswitch.jpgwallswitch.jpg

#108 8 years ago
Quoted from inhomearcades:

This was a ul listed requirement and by no means a cost saving one. Many people should inquire about the change rather than give their opinion on what they "think" happened and why.

Keep_Calm.pngKeep_Calm.png

#109 8 years ago

So I take it that because wwe is spike the switch is in the same place?

#110 8 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Relax. No matter what your beliefs it's only a wall switch.
wallswitch.jpg

Dear Lord !

#111 8 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

So I take it that because wwe is spike the switch is in the same place?

Yes.

LTG : )™

#112 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

Shoo away little one. I'm looking at the schedule in California and it's one of your two days to shower.

Good old egg head. Took you a couple days to come up with that one?

#113 8 years ago

I don't always wear my KISS boots, but when I do, it's so I can reach the power switch on my new KISS pinball.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#114 8 years ago

Not having and AC power in the main cabinet saved more that $2. Remember there is not transformer or anything to do with AC power in the cabinet any more. There was some other reason having to do with the type of electrical device that it needs to be rated/certified for.

Don't worry though, I know of multiple people working on cheap and innovative mods to fix this "issue" (I'm 6'2" inches so it is not an issue in the least bit to me).

#115 8 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes.
LTG : )™

Thanks! So remove power switch. Buy same gauge wire. Splice wire with wire nuts. Extend wire into cabinet. Drill hole where switch should be. Fasten switch. Reconnect wires. Problem solved?

#116 8 years ago

If you were Gene Simmons, you could flick the power switch with your tongue!

gene-simmons-large-msg-117242941825.jpggene-simmons-large-msg-117242941825.jpg

For everyone else...

KISS-GENE-SIMMONS-DEMON-INFLATABLE-TONGUE.jpgKISS-GENE-SIMMONS-DEMON-INFLATABLE-TONGUE.jpg

#117 8 years ago

solution
King-Size_Homer.pngKing-Size_Homer.png

#118 8 years ago

Seems ironic that moving the switch to a "safer" position for UL/FCC approval would result in people having to mod their electrical system and increase the risk of electrical issues if they didn't do it correctly.

#119 8 years ago

I have had an acdc prototype running spike for about 2 years now. I speaking with the developer of the system while he was out servicing the machine I asked him why in the world they put it in such a terrible location. His response was that they hate it just as much but UL required them to place it there.
Of course all the experts here want to immediately jump on stern and call it a cost savings move. I just don't understand the extent that people want to continually bash the one company actually producing games. Criticism and discussion sure but at what point do people here finally realize that their wild, out of the blue, theories provide nothing to this hobby but bad information. It's like everyone here either wants to make a personal attack to another member or they want to come up with a smart ass comment that makes people laugh. The problem is everyone continues to try and one up the previous post or comment and this place gets filled with useless bs.

Since other companies seem to be coming out with new pins that have a normal on/off location it's hard to understand why Stern is required to put switch in a particular location. It's been in one location for a very long time can you or anyone else explain why this was/is a requirement? Doesn't take an 'expert' to know its not the best location and that is what others and myself were referring to.

#121 8 years ago

butt.pngbutt.png

#122 8 years ago

You have to have sex with Gene before it turns on. Sorry to tell ya.

#123 8 years ago

I installed one of these on mine and doubled the income. Think smarter people!

image.jpgimage.jpg

#124 8 years ago

What this thread needs is pics of hot women in miniskirts leaning over the machine to turn it on.

#125 8 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Not having and AC power in the main cabinet saved more that $2. Remember there is not transformer or anything to do with AC power in the cabinet any more. There was some other reason having to do with the type of electrical device that it needs to be rated/certified for.
Don't worry though, I know of multiple people working on cheap and innovative mods to fix this "issue" (I'm 6'2" inches so it is not an issue in the least bit to me).

Hi John, I know your a Paragon fan. Paragon doesn't have a power supply or transformer in the cabinet either (yet it has a traditional on/off switch in the usual spot).

This was a Stern engineering decision. I have no problem with consolidating the components within the back box, however they could/should have retained the traditional on/off switch (at a trivial cost). I don't believe any rating agency or certification forced them to place the switch on the back box...

Glad to hear someone is working on a cheap mod to fix for those who care.

Quoted from Khabbi:

What this thread needs is pics of hot women in miniskirts leaning over the machine to turn it on.

I'm going to work on this for you We have some models that I've been meaning to schedule for a photo shoot with my lineup (and KISS arrives today).

#126 8 years ago

Reach for it baby.

#128 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Since other companies seem to be coming out with new pins that have a normal on/off location it's hard to understand why Stern is required to put switch in a particular location. It's been in one location for a very long time can you or anyone else explain why this was/is a requirement? Doesn't take an 'expert' to know its not the best location and that is what others and myself were referring to.

It was a ul/fcc requirement, another pinsider in this thread who didn't believe that contacted Gomez directly and got the same response. Scroll through this thread you will see where he posted what he heard back from George.

#129 8 years ago

Tourney button location. Easy to put switch right there as a mod

#130 8 years ago

It was a ul/fcc requirement, another pinsider in this thread who didn't believe that contacted Gomez directly and got the same response. Scroll through this thread you will see where he posted what he heard back from George.

Please don't spread misinformation. This move was not a ul/fcc requirement. I'm not going to rehash what I've already posted.

#131 8 years ago

Do we really need a switch?

#132 8 years ago
Quoted from eggbert52:

In Florida you can take a shower anytime. Just walk outside in that sauna you call outdoors with a bar of soap and lather up with all that humidity. I visited Florida once in my life....once.

#133 8 years ago

This has got to be one of the dumbest moves Stern has made yet. Its bad enough that Williams did it with the Revenge game but now Stern as well....ugh.
Just so happens about two weeks ago I brought the Revenge into the shop and rewired it and drilled and cut a new hole in the bottom of the cabinet to reinstall the on/off switch to where it should be. Took about 3-4 hours but it needed to be done because at my house I'd have to crawl underneath the game each time to turn it on and off since the games are so tight together.
Way to go Stern !!

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#134 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Now kids can no longer turn machines on by themselves

Could it be that some operators lobbied Stern to move the power switch,
so pesky little kids at arcades could not reach the power switch, to randomly turn games on/off?
Not that I have ever seen a pinball at a "Chucky Cheese" lately.

#135 8 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Please don't spread misinformation. This move was not a ul/fcc requirement. I'm not going to rehash what I've already posted.

Wow really? . OK so everybody can make the call themselves ... is "(UL safety, FCC approval)" and " a ul/fcc requirement" really that different?? does it really matter??

Quoted for reference:

Quoted from snaroff:

He said there are engineering/manufacturing benefits (UL safety, FCC approval) to having all of the AC in a small contained & shielded area. He did not mention cost, but it's hard to imagine that cost wasn't a factor (it's not like UL safety and FCC approval have been problematic for past pinball architectures).
I respect George and the team @ Stern. That said, I still think it's an unfortunate change.

UL has been creating standards for safety for over a century. In order to receive UL certification you must pass the standard. The certification is optional but meeting the actual standard isn't, so calling a change a "requirement" isn't really wrong. I can't speak to specific UL standards but I deal in regulations everyday and sometimes they are written as "must" meaning required and other times it is "shall" meaning preferred but not required.

#136 8 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Dude what are you talking About? Ridiculous, no wonder we don't agree on anything, you can't seem to agree with what you say from post to post.

Pinworthy thanks for saving me the time to quote both of us.

#137 8 years ago

Dude what are you talking About? Ridiculous, no wonder we don't agree on anything, you can't seem to agree with what you say from post to post.
Pinworthy thanks for saving me the time to quote both of us.

I said "benefit" NOT "requirement". Please learn how to read.

#138 8 years ago

OMG are people really so old that they can't handle a super small change like moving of a power switch because it makes more sense for it to be in its new location? I mean who cares where the thing is at? Not everything is about cutting costs. Sometimes it's about moving forward.

#139 8 years ago

I have to admit it took me 5 minutes to find the power switch on my pro. The right side was up against another game and it was a true "WTF?!?" moment.

#140 8 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

This has got to be one of the dumbest moves Stern has made yet. Its bad enough that Williams did it with the Revenge game but now Stern as well....ugh.
Just so happens about two weeks ago I brought the Revenge into the shop and rewired it and drilled and cut a new hole in the bottom of the cabinet to reinstall the on/off switch to where it should be. Took about 3-4 hours but it needed to be done because at my house I'd have to crawl underneath the game each time to turn it on and off since the games are so tight together.
Way to go Stern !!
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

Hey Mr. D, I applaud your work in doing this and understand why you did it as well.

However, if you ever sell the machine, be prepared to one day see this work picture posted by some crybaby here blasting it as a "Hack of the week". Even though we both know it is not.

Bruce

#141 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

OMG are people really so old that they can't handle a super small change like moving of a power switch because it makes more sense for it to be in its new location? I mean who cares where the thing is at? Not everything is about cutting costs. Sometimes it's about moving forward.

People who can't reach the new switch care. It's really that simple. I got my machine yesterday and I'm at least 6" from reaching it. Since this is my only Spike machine, I just decided to add another 6" of space on the right side and now I can squeeze in-between the machines to reach the switch. More space equals less machines. Not interested in adding remote switches at this time. Anyone who thinks this is "moving forward" is drinking the koolaid. I've wasted enough time on this thread...signing out!

#142 8 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

I have one of those pics but I don't want to get banned from the forum ! LOL

#143 8 years ago

I played the game last night and the switch being there is a royal pain in the ass. Whether it was from Stern cheeping out, I would put money on that, or whatever it sucks. This game was at Joystix and only gets played hard 2 days a month but it looked beat to shit for its age. Didn't get to play it much though, the lights blew out right after I got there so I got my money back and left.

#144 8 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

People who can't reach the new switch care. It's really that simple. I got my machine yesterday and I'm at least 6" from reaching it. Since this is my only Spike machine, I just decided to add another 6" of space on the right side and now I can squeeze in-between the machines to reach the switch. More space equals less machines. Not interested in adding remote switches at this time. Anyone who thinks this is "moving forward" is drinking the koolaid. I've wasted enough time on this thread...signing out!

I totally understand why the change is an issue for you and don't think you are wrong to complain.
The arguments over WHY it was done are ridiculous ... who really cares why? You want to justify your anger at the change by pushing the argument that at the core it is cost savings. Sorry but lowering production costs isn't always about screwing over the customer. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it isn't moving forward or a valid change for a majority of users. If it ISN"T moving forward it was still a choice that Stern made ... OK you don't like it then good don't buy any more Stern products or get the message out to them and maybe they will change it back.

I think everybody who has an issue with the switch should write to tell Stern and complain then we will see if Pinside really is as important to Stern as some people seem to think it is.

#145 8 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

I played the game last night and the switch being there is a royal pain in the ass. Whether it was from Stern cheeping out, I would put money on that, or whatever it sucks. This game was at Joystix and only gets played hard 2 days a month but it looked beat to shit for its age. Didn't get to play it much though, the lights blew out right after I got there so I got my money back and left.

Are you saying you played on location and personally had to turn the machine on to play it?

#146 8 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Yep. Of course make a statement like "drinking the koolaid" then say you're signing out. "Drinking the koolaid" requires someone to be serving the "koolaid". It's not like I was educated by stern marketing and bought into it all. I haven't talked to anyone or read anything by stern. There's no koolaid. Instead, it's simple common sense. If you're redesigning a system perhaps you should question some things such as "do we really need a power switch up front since all the control is in the head?" Doing things "because that's how we always have done it" is stupid.

Anyways, I'm 5'8" and can lean over the machine and turn it on no problem. I'm surprised anyone has an issue reaching it.

Anyways, I expect you won't be responding since you have signed out of this thread. It's a bummer you can't reach the switch. That's a valid complaint. I don't think it was a means of cost cutting though.

For about $15 at Home Depot, you can get a wireless switch that you plug into the wall and plug the machine into. Then the switch can be double sided taped anywhere you want such as the bottom of the machine. I'm sure you won't like this idea. Some people don't like simple solutions and just want to vent.

#147 8 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Not interested in adding remote switches at this time.

You've got every right to be angry about the change since it impacts you, but don't make your life difficult just to spite Stern. Spend the $15 and get a remote controlled outlet and make your life easier.

http://www.amazon.com/Etekcity%C2%AE-Wireless-Controlled-Electrical-Included/dp/B0087EIDRS/ref=sr_1_2

Quoted from markmon:

Anyways, I'm 5'8" and can lean over the machine and turn it on no problem. I'm surprised anyone has an issue reaching it.

I'm 5'9" and very rotund. I can reach the backbox, but I can see how my 6 year old can't, how disabled people couldn't, or how shorter people couldn't either. With pingulps on the side of the legs it's even harder to get between the machines.

#148 8 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Hey Mr. D, I applaud your work in doing this and understand why you did it as well.
However, if you ever sell the machine, be prepared to one day see this work picture posted by some crybaby here blasting it as a "Hack of the week". Even though we both know it is not.
Bruce

Don't bring me dooown,...Bruce !

#149 8 years ago

If reaching it is an issue, would plugging into a surge protector that can be reached solve the problem? Switch the protector on/off as needed?

#150 8 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I can reach the backbox, but I can see how my 6 year old can't,

Sounds like another plus to me

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-le-where-the-hell-is-the-power-button-to-turn-it-on/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.