New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 135038)

Kiss LE - Where the hell is the power button to turn it on?

By Barakawins1

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 271 posts
  • 96 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Pinzzz
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 32 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

FullSizeRender.jpeg
ziggypiggy.png
IMG_1153.jpg
FuggolegesVideo-StarWarsSkinnyEdition.jpg
21.jpg
00295535-016668_500.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-08-09_at_12.42.06_AM.png
Leather_.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Put_the_belt_in_the_bucket_sir.jpg
IMG_1493.jpg
image.jpg
butt.png
King-Size_Homer.png
KISS-GENE-SIMMONS-DEMON-INFLATABLE-TONGUE.jpg

There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
#1 5 years ago

Crazy enough.... I don't have a rocker switch to turn this game on? How do you turn it on?

#2 5 years ago

Isn't it under the right corner of the backbox ?

LTG : )™

#3 5 years ago

Its on the Head. Plunger side by the heads hinge.

#4 5 years ago

Time again to re-invent the wheel.

#5 5 years ago

Use The Clapper

#6 5 years ago

Isn't it voice activation?

#7 5 years ago

new mod opportunity here guys........

#8 5 years ago

Have you tried "Hello Pinball Machine"?

15yhl5.gif

#9 5 years ago

On the head?? What an amazingly bone headed design change...

Must have saved them $2. Wow.

#10 5 years ago

If I recall, it because the switch is mounted on the PS, and in a Spike system that PS is located in the head.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

On the head?? What an amazingly bone headed design change...
Must have saved them $2. Wow.

I completely agree on this. This is over the top gone cheap. I like Stern but this for me is too far. A serious cluge of a design and having the cord wrap on the back with plastic ties and screws. Really, really bad engineering.

#12 5 years ago

Omg they moved the power switch. Big deal instead if bending over to turn it in you have to lean forward a lil bit.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Omg they moved the power switch. Big deal instead if bending over to turn it in you have to mean forward a lil bit.

Well it is not that simple. They have added plastic ties with screws to the back of the game. If it was engineered correctly and the power cord could not get smashed then I get it but especially as an operator they have no "lock" on the cord and no way to control the power into the game. It truely is uncontrolled in an open environment (coin op). Also one other note. If you have games side by side and you are short that is also a problem. Again like you said it is only power...yea but extremely poor design.

I buy alot of new stern's. This one set me back some.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Patofnaud:

If I recall, it because the switch is mounted on the PS, and in a Spike system that PS is located in the head.

Not mounted on the power supply, but very close to it. You might want to suggest that idea as I'm betting they could save another 2.0372 cents it they reduced that 3 inches of wire.

IMG_1490.jpg

#15 5 years ago

My pins are sometimes crammed together, with pingulps blocking what little space there is, so it can be a hassle to get to the backbox.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Omg they moved the power switch. Big deal instead if bending over to turn it in you have to lean forward a lil bit.

You are clueless. Have you ever seen a lineup? If not, I've included a photo of what my Stern pinball lineup looks like. My lineup has 3-4" between head units...some have less, some have more.

With the bozo change of placing the on/off on the back box, I will have to crawl under my machine and reach (very awkward) or physically move the machine out until I can reach around the back box (very, very awkward...might have to actually unplug the machine). CRAZY!

Caveat: It's entirely possible I'm overreacting. When my KISS arrives on Friday, I'll get to experience this first hand. Nevertheless, based on the description, it sounds like a classic bad decision that may simplify manufacturing and save a few bucks, but hurts the consumer. Since many of these machines are going into the home and space is at a premium, it's just hard to imagine why they would move the on/off button to an arguably awkward place. If you aren't tall with long arms (like many kids), you have to crawl under or move the machine if it's in a fairly tight lineup. Brilliant move!

IMG_3854.JPG

#17 5 years ago

Two five foot pieces of wire and re-locating the switch under the cabinet sounds easy enough but I think they should have gone old school where hitting the left flipper button turns it on and smacking the bottom of the cabinet turns it off.

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

You are clueless. Have you ever seen a lineup? If not, I've included a photo of what my Stern pinball lineup looks like. My lineup has 3-4" between head units...some have less, some have more.
With the bozo change of placing the on/off on the back box, I will have to crawl under my machine and reach (very awkward) or physically move the machine out until I can reach around the back box (very, very awkward...might have to actually unplug the machine). CRAZY!
IMG_3854.JPG

I think you are misunderstanding the location of the power switch. It isn't behind the back box. Basically if you can touch the bottom right corner on the front of the backbox....you can at least tip toe and get to the switch just under there. It doesn't really matter if there is 0 room between games.

I'm 5' 9" and it would be a barely noticeable inconvenience at worst. The bad part is really that it's an inconvenience at all...just to save a $1 or so on a shorter wire run.

#19 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Two five foot pieces of wire and re-locating the switch under the cabinet sounds easy enough but I think they should have gone old school where hitting the left flipper button turns it on and smacking the bottom of the cabinet turns it off.

I'd hit it.

#20 5 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

I think you are misunderstanding the location of the power switch. It isn't behind the back box. Basically if you can touch the bottom right corner on the front of the backbox....you can at least tip toe and get to the switch just under there. It doesn't really matter if there is 0 room between games.
I'm 5' 9" and it would be a barely noticeable inconvenience at worst. The bad part is really that it's an inconvenience at all...just to save a $1 or so on a shorter wire run.

I see. Yes, I misinterpreted an earlier post and thought it was on the back. I'm only 5'7", and it isn't reachable without moving a pin in some fashion (just checked). I can obviously try and add more space to accommodate KISS.

Nevertheless, pins are in tight lineups and this type of change is stupid. What if you have a younger son/daughter that wants to turn the machine on? Guess they have to crawl. Many people store stuff under the pins, and crawling may not be simple.

Decisions like this just make me shake my head. Says a lot about the product culture @ Stern. WOW.

#21 5 years ago

OMG they forgot to mention the power switch is an extre cost! LOL , I have 3 with the switch in in its new location,
no big deal.

#22 5 years ago

Yesterday I bought the first game that had a power switch. Williams Jolly Roger from 1967. How revolutionary that was.

#23 5 years ago

At least we know where the power switch is..

Try messing with vids for a bit. Sheesh, lower back corner, top of the cab, top back of the cab, pick a spot.

For what it is worth non of my machines ever get turned off by the power switch. All are turned off at the wall via remote control. And I am sure most large places turn off at the breaker/cutoff.

#24 5 years ago

GOT is moving the power switch to in the middle of the top of the head box.

#25 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Yesterday I bought the first game that had a power switch. Williams Jolly Roger from 1967. How revolutionary that was.

1967? I had a Bally Trio 1961 that had a power switch in the usual area easily reachable. Maybe you were joking....

Honestly, I hope they admit this was a dumb idea and move the power switch back to where its been for 50 years.

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

1967? I had a Bally Trio 1961 that had a power switch in the usual area easily reachable. Maybe you were joking....

I wasnt joking. Some older machines had power buttons added later. I'm not sure if Bally made an exception but the way you turned off Williams and Gottliebs before 1967 was hitting the bottom of the cabinet and a tilt switch did the rest. I still have several like that. Turning them on was as simple as pushing the left flipper or start button or dropping a coin in.

#27 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I wasnt joking. Some older machines had power buttons added. I'm not sure if Bally made an exception but the way you turned off Williams and Gottliebs before 1967 was hitting the bottom of the cabinet and a tilt switch did the rest. I still have several like that. Turning them on was as simple as pushing the left flipper or start button.

Very cool. That would be tasteful and could be automatically enabled when the machine is on "free play".

#28 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I see. Yes, I misinterpreted an earlier post and thought it was on the back. I'm only 5'7", and it isn't reachable without moving a pin in some fashion (just checked). I can obviously try and add more space to accommodate KISS.
Nevertheless, pins are in tight lineups and this type of change is stupid. What if you have a younger son/daughter that wants to turn the machine on? Guess they have to crawl. Many people store stuff under the pins, and crawling may not be simple.
Decisions like this just make me shake my head. Says a lot about the product culture @ Stern. WOW.

Yes if I were you I would never buy another stern as a protest. Those bastards!!! Or maybe buy a surge strip and use that to turn it off n on?

Better yet maybe if you make 30-40 threads about how it is such a cluster F of a design they will change it for you and others that can't reach the bottom corner of the back box.

Maybe your selfie stick can reach?

#29 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yes if I were you I would never buy another stern as a protest. Those bastards!!! Or maybe buy a surge strip and use that to turn it off n on?
Better yet maybe if you make 30-40 threads about how it is such a cluster F of a design they will change it for you and others that can't reach the bottom corner of the back box.
Maybe your selfie stick can reach?

Your an impressive thinker! Very creative suggestions...

Stern is SO lucky to have customers with such amazingly low expectations. Keep on defending stupidity...

#30 5 years ago

The op hasn't yet responded...wonder if he is still looking ...Hey!! OP!!! You ok there mate??!!

#31 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Very cool. That would be tasteful and could be automatically enabled when the machine is on "free play".

Sounds like it might be easier than the current setup for some.

#32 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

Caveat: It's entirely possible I'm overreacting. When my KISS arrives on Friday, I'll get to experience this first hand. Nevertheless, based on the description, it sounds like a classic bad decision that may simplify manufacturing and save a few bucks, but hurts the consumer. Since many of these machines are going into the home and space is at a premium, it's just hard to imagine why they would move the on/off button to an arguably awkward place. If you aren't tall with long arms (like many kids), you have to crawl under or move the machine if it's in a fairly tight lineup. Brilliant move!
IMG_3854.JPG

Don't worry, buddy! It's reachable from standing in front of the game, even for short guys. Unless you're a midget, you'll have no trouble.

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from NorCalRealtor:

Don't worry, buddy! It's reachable from standing in front of the game, even for short guys. Unless you're a midget, you'll have no trouble.

That would be great. Just tried to reach the lower/right back box on my current Sterns and couldn't. I'm 5'7".

Even if I can't reach, I'll just add some spacing between KISS and the pin to the right of it. Might also decide to move it to the rightmost pin.

I understand these are "first world" problems, but considering the size/mass of pinball machines...yada, yada, ...

#34 5 years ago

I found it but its' really disappointing to reach in and turn on from under the head box. Big downer on this one. Should be under the right
front as all other pins. Bad move on Stern's part.

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

hitting the left flipper button turns it on and smacking the bottom of the cabinet turns it off.

Fonzie style
fonz.jpg

#36 5 years ago

Maybe they don't want my grandkids to turn it on. I do think it's dumb, no ownership interest yet.

#37 5 years ago

I found a bigger pain in the adss with the new power switch setup is that they covered the hinge bolts. Also on the left side are some coils for the speakers over the left hinge bolts. I have a lot of customers that do custom powder coated armor and this adds extra time to remove other stuff to get to the hinge bolts, plus now I need to add a 7/16" box wrench to my already full toolbox

#38 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Sounds like it might be easier than the current setup for some.

Yep. On a related note, it would be really cool if the machine automatically powered down after being idle for some period of time (again, only when on "free play" in a home environment). I've accidentally left my machines on many times over night...

#39 5 years ago

OMG I thought I was the only one who had this issue. I swear it took me 10 minutes to find it and I felt like a complete idiot!!

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

I found a bigger pain in the adss with the new power switch setup is that they covered the hinge bolts. Also on the left side are some coils for the speakers over the left hinge bolts. I have a lot of customers that do custom powder coated armor and this adds extra time to remove other stuff to get to the hinge bolts, plus now I need to add a 7/16" box wrench to my already full toolbox

If it's full, it should already have a 7/16" box wrench.

#41 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

That would be great. Just tried to reach the lower/right back box on my current Sterns and couldn't. I'm 5'7".
Even if I can't reach, I'll just add some spacing between KISS and the pin to the right of it. Might also decide to move it to the rightmost pin.
I understand these are "first world" problems, but considering the size/mass of pinball machines...yada, yada, ...

Bummer. My buddy was able to reach it at CAX. I think he's 5'8" or 5'9".

Have you considered this method?

dwarfa.jpg

#42 5 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

Yes if I were you I would never buy another stern as a protest.

I thought we all stopped buying Sterns when they put the AMC logo on TWD?

#43 5 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I've accidentally left my machines on many times over night...

I've actually left my whole house on all night...with all the doors and windows open.. etc..etc.. etc..

#44 5 years ago

Sounds like you have to put KISS on a remote control switch like I do with my machines. Just leave the machines' switches on all the time, and turn the outlet on remotely.

#45 5 years ago
Quoted from Wyopinball:

If it's full, it should already have a 7/16" box wrench.

What other nuts on a pinball machine needs a 7/16". I already had a 7/16" nut driver for cabinet hardware (hinge bolts, coin door bolts, head brackets). Never need a 7/16" for the playfield.

#46 5 years ago
Quoted from Classic_Stern:

Well it is not that simple. They have added plastic ties with screws to the back of the game. If it was engineered correctly and the power cord could not get smashed then I get it but especially as an operator they have no "lock" on the cord and no way to control the power into the game.

I want to see a picture of the back of the game and power cord. Are you saying the cord is NOT removable and has to be coiled on the back of the machine?

#47 5 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I want to see a picture of the back of the game and power cord. Are you saying the cord is NOT removable and has to be coiled on the back of the machine?

The cord is removable from the rear of the head. Just like a computer power cord.

#48 5 years ago

That's what I said.

#49 5 years ago

I'm in for first mod.

I call it the "Switch Stick." $10 + shipping. Ad in Marketplace.

Compatible with all new Sterns and misbehaving cats.

image.jpg

#50 5 years ago

Somebody killed a Hobbit to get that mod.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 139.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
There are 271 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside