• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20201025_185837 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Ok so first and foremost I’m far from a genius when it comes to working on a new stern so this could be something simple and I’m just missing it.

The ramp diverter on my kiss does not engage when you go for love gun Multi ball. The magnet will carry the ball and drop it if I manually drop the diverter but the diverter will not go down. It also will not engage in test mode either. I replaced the coil cause I was ordering parts for a shop and though ehhhh why not. Still nothing. I am thinking probably a node board but I hate to just buy one and that not be it cause they sure aren’t giving them away. I don’t care to buy the board if that’s the problem just don’t wanna be shotgunning $200 parts. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Ok so first and foremost I’m far from a genius when it comes to working on a new stern so this could be something simple and I’m just missing it.
The ramp diverter on my kiss does not engage when you go for love gun Multi ball. The magnet will carry the ball and drop it if I manually drop the diverter but the diverter will not go down. It also will not engage in test mode either. I replaced the coil cause I was ordering parts for a shop and though ehhhh why not. Still nothing. I am thinking probably a node board but I hate to just buy one and that not be it cause they sure aren’t giving them away. I don’t care to buy the board if that’s the problem just don’t wanna be shotgunning $200 parts. Any help would be appreciated.

A node board test in the service menu should help you determine if its the board. Id check all the wiring and solder joints. Some Sterns are notorious for half assed soldering. Hopefully you used the Exact same coil when replacing it.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

A node board test in the service menu should help you determine if its the board. Id check all the wiring and solder joints. Some Sterns are notorious for half assed soldering. Hopefully you used the Exact same coil when replacing it.

I made sure to used the exact replacement coil for the part. Should I be looking on the node board itself? I will run a test on node boards in the service menu this evening. Thanks

#4 3 years ago

try reloading code again, that is basically the "did you unplug it and plug it back in" fix for Sterns now these days. You got your Star Child protector too right?

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

try reloading code again, that is basically the "did you unplug it and plug it back in" fix for Sterns now these days. You got your Star Child protector too right?

Yes I got the protector. Thanks. I will try to reload the code this evening.

#6 3 years ago

I got to mess around with the kiss a little last night. I reloaded the code with no luck. I did the full update this time.

I went into diagnostics and ran the test for the node boards. The bus test ran through and said no errors on all the boards. The board test I’m not real sure I did right. It doesn’t do anything when I hit the start button over the board. But they all say 0.28.0 under them. Am I doing this right lol

I am going to pull the board and check for solder this week

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago

If one of those boards was bad you'd know it. Pretty sure you'd get an error on bootup as well. Maybe the coil lug wires were not installed in the same position?

#8 3 years ago

I really thought it would give an error too if it was bad. It also says no errors in test. I think the wires are on correctly but I will snap a picture this evening when I get home. It worked at one point In its life cause there is a ball mark across the backboard plastic. But the original coil wasn’t working when I got it. I replaced the original coil with an exact replacement. Is there a fuse specific to just that coil maybe?

I really appreciate the help guys

#9 3 years ago

can someone verify his correct node board dips? I am not in front of mine at the moment and can not verify his

#10 3 years ago

According to the manual his dips are correct.
Just a thought...are you sure you loaded the correct code (Pre/LE)for your machine? The Pro code does not support the diverter.

#11 3 years ago

I just double checked the code to make sure it was LE.

#12 3 years ago

I’m going to check the node board for cold solder in a little bit. And check continuity on the wiring just to make sure

1 week later
#13 3 years ago

I can’t see anything wrong visibly with the board. Can the node board be bad and not show an error?

#14 3 years ago

Anyone got any other ideas outside of just replacing the node board?

#15 3 years ago

Did you try calling Stern?

#16 3 years ago

Did you try calling Stern?

I did not. I have not had many new machines. Do they have just like a tech line or something to call?

#17 3 years ago

1-800-kickers unless its not active anymore.

#18 3 years ago

Awesome thanks. I’ll give them a call and See if I can get some direction on it.

#19 3 years ago

Please let us know if you find a solution.

#20 3 years ago

I left a message with stern and they are supposed to get back with me about it. I’ll post when I hear from them.

1 week later
#21 3 years ago

So I’ve gotten no response from anyone at stern. I went ahead and tried a new node board cause I figured why not at this point. Still no diverter. Any ideas?

#22 3 years ago

Ok so with the new node board the diverter does not work in test mode but will drop when searching for a ball. It still doesn’t engage when you shoot the ramp to start love gun multi ball though

#23 3 years ago

Reloading the code just in case. This game is driving me nuts lol

1 week later
#25 3 years ago

Any ideas? Diverter drops when it’s supposed to both when the star targets are hit lighting LG multiball and when the ball is plunged with LG multiball lit. But it won’t hold. It’s got a new coil and new node board. It wouldn’t drop at all until the new node board was installed. Also it still does nothing in test mode

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from jmountjoy111:

Any ideas? Diverter drops when it’s supposed to both when the star targets are hit lighting LG multiball and when the ball is plunged with LG multiball lit. But it won’t hold. It’s got a new coil and new node board. It wouldn’t drop at all until the new node board was installed. Also it still does nothing in test mode

Hard to tell, but is it getting hung up on your plastic? Maybe loosen bolts and screws and readjust for clearance.

#27 3 years ago

What diverter coil test are you using? The one you should be testing is #25 Diverter Main. It should go down when you test and automatically go back up. Test #13 Diverter Hold I would assume is what keeps the diverter in the down position. Maybe that is the key. One thing I don't understand is while looking at the manual on page 33. There are parts listed as high as 25 but the description list only goes up to 17...wtf? Has Stern been able to help you? I know Chas' passing was unexpected but to be selling $10,000 machines with no tech support is completely unacceptable. I took a pic of my coil lug wiring. 1 appears to be yellow/brown 2 appears red/brown and 3 looks gray. It looks like 1 and 2 could be mixed up easily when changing the coil.

20201025_185837 (resized).jpg20201025_185837 (resized).jpg
#28 3 years ago

I sent Patrick an email at stern and then he replied and gave me a number to call. But I’ve called it three times and got voice mail each time. I left him my cell to get back to me but I haven’t heard from him yet.

The diverter doesn’t appear to drop all the way but it’s is completely clear. I can try to adjust it

As for the test I have tried both main and hold. It doesn’t move in the test in either test.

I wired the new coil exactly as the one that was on it. It appeared original but very well may have been changed at some point. I will check that out and see if that could be the culprit. Thank you for the picture.

This thing is driving me nuts but at least it’s moving now even if not fully functioning yet so I have to be going in the right direction lol. I really appreciate the help

#29 3 years ago

Anytime. Please keep us informed. Maybe the previous node failed and the owner changed the coil thinking that was the culprit and messed up the wiring. I'm sure stranger things have happened.

#30 3 years ago

I don't know if Kiss has an interlock switch on the coin door. If it does make sure to pull it out when testing coils, as the coil power is "cut-off" as a safety measure when the coin door is open.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from MRG:

I don't know if Kiss has an interlock switch on the coin door. If it does make sure to pull it out when testing coils, as the coil power is "cut-off" as a safety measure when the coin door is open.

That is a good point. It certainly does have one. I tested it with the coin door closed by navigating the menu with the flippers and firing the coil with the start button. The other coils worked.

#32 3 years ago

Anytime. Please keep us informed. Maybe the previous node failed and the owner changed the coil thinking that was the culprit and messed up the wiring. I'm sure stranger things have happened.

That is a great possibility. I’ll try to get that checked out tonight if I can

#33 3 years ago

I checked the wires and it looks exactly the same on mine. Anyway you’d be willing to check the resistance on the coil? I replaced the coil before the node board. Is it possible the old node board damaged this coil like it did the old coil? I am getting 142 ohm between the outside lugs but I don’t know what the actual specs should be.

#34 3 years ago

Unfortunately I don't own a meter and have little experience using one. Hopefully someone who can will check their values.

#35 3 years ago

Anyone care to check the reading on that coil for me?

#36 3 years ago

Bumping this up to see if someone can tell me the readings on the diverter coil

#37 3 years ago

Someone posted in another thread that 140 ohms across the coil is correct so that rules that one put I guess. I’m still stuck with a diverter that won’t hold and kind of lost on where to go next. Anyone got any ideas? It would be nice if someone at stern would answer the phone or return a call at the least lol

3 weeks later
#38 3 years ago

SOLVED= On the Diverter assembly the Nylon spacer # 12 was on the wrong side of piece # 8 c clip

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-le-diverter-not-working- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.