(Topic ID: 131188)

KISS issues at Rock Fantasy Launch Party!

By Eddie

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by Eddie
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
48.jpg
51.jpg
50.jpg
45.jpg
43.jpg
#1 8 years ago

While attending the KISS launch party issues were encountered with the VUK

First issue was the ball catching the back wall of the VUK and peening it.

Here you can see where the ball had been catching the VUK.With the bad camera its hard to see.

43.jpg43.jpg

In this pic you can see the shiny "Peened" area

45.jpg45.jpg

What causes this?

My first guess was the misalignment of VUK and its Popper unit but it goes further that that.

I believe its due to no ball aligning cup on the plunger. There is a fair amount of distance from the plunger tip to the VUK Shaft giving the ball plenty of room to move around on its upward travel.

A ball cup would keep the ball in line all the way to the VUK Shaft.

48.jpg48.jpg

Issue two the ball would not register as being in the VUK Kickout hole

The switch simply stopped registering in switch test but was working fine with a DMM

50.jpg50.jpg

[att=2527362,527541 caption="51.jpg

Issue three ball would eject weakly in gameplay but very strong in test mode.

Possible coding issue causes that?

#2 8 years ago

I'd say you got a factory defective installation job there and as you stated a missing ball aligning cup in the vuk. Should be easily fixed by your distributor I'd think.

#3 8 years ago

I don't believe there is a "Missing" Ball cup I think it was designed this way.

I think it should have a Ball cup or the least the plunger tip should be contoured to the ball or cupped.

#4 8 years ago

I'll be watching this issue......

#5 8 years ago

they had to finish the tournament on the old kiss. just crazy!!!

#6 8 years ago

The VUK shaft is all metal? It should at least have a nylon end like any other ball-kicking coil shaft has in the world.

Rob

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The VUK shaft is all metal? It should at least have a nylon end like any other ball-kicking coil shaft has in the world.
Rob

Yes just as you see it in the pic.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

I don't believe there is a "Missing" Ball cup I think it was designed this way.
I think it should have a Ball cup or the least the plunger tip should be contoured to the ball or cupped.

Left a message on Stern FB and they said to call Stern tech at: 1-800-KICKERS

#10 8 years ago

Gene's tongue got stuck?

#11 8 years ago

My KISS Pro was supposed to ship today, but I just got a note that they are having problems with the playfield wood and it wasn't known how many completed games are coming off the line. I'm really wishing I had waited 6 months to buy mine, so it would get the kinks worked out and have solid code.

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from GravitaR:

Left a message on Stern FB and they said to call Stern tech at: 1-800-KICKERS

The machine is not mine but Steve Keelers the owner of Rock Fantasy.

He was holding a launch that I attended and me being his friend and Head tech at Modern Pinball NYC he asked if I could have a look as to what was causing the problem of the ball not kicking out.

I am fully aware of Sterns tech support but thanks for posting for others that are new to Pinball ownership.

#13 8 years ago

I hope all the problems are resolved before the American LEs are built. I'm not a fan of them building all 600 at once. The 2 current LEs in my lineup are built at later dates, which I prefer, so the kinks are worked out.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

My KISS Pro was supposed to ship today, but I just got a note that they are having problems with the playfield wood and it wasn't known how many completed games are coming off the line. I'm really wishing I had waited 6 months to buy mine, so it would get the kinks worked out and have solid code.

I would like to hear more about what the specific issue is?

Already have one on route and would like to know what I should keep and eye out for.

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I would like to hear more about what the specific issue is?
Already have one on route and would like to know what I should keep and eye out for.

The ball did not kick out of the mouth for various reasons.

VUK ball alignment

VUK switch not registering (software?)

Weak kickout from coding

#16 8 years ago

Does the ball sits on the solenoid shaft or is there a gap?

Rob

#17 8 years ago

Happy to wait for a late run Premium at this stage (Since im not a die hard KISS fan anyway and LE doesnt mean anything to me). Case in point: early ACDC le's and the latest ACDC Premiums.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Does the ball sits on the solenoid shaft or is there a gap?
Rob

Didnt investigate that well, was in the middle of a tournament.

We finished the tournament on a Bally Kiss.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I for one, was glad the LEs were being made after a batch of Pros. I didn't want the same quality issues with my KISSLE as I had with my METLE. I'd even be okay with Stern producing a batch of KISS premiums before the LEs. Just like anything being produced for the first time, there almost always will be bugs that need worked out. But when someone spends the kind of money Stern is asking for an LE with very little difference between it and a premium, the least they could do is eliminate all of the major bugs and quality control issues before they put the LEs into production...period!

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

I for one, was glad the LEs were being made after a batch of Pros. I didn't want the same quality issues with my KISSLE as I had with my METLE. I'd even be okay with Stern producing a batch of KISS premiums before the LEs. Just like anything being produced for the first time, there almost always will be bugs that need worked out. But when someone spends the kind of money Stern is asking for an LE with very little difference between it and a premium, the least they could do is eliminate all of the major bugs and quality control issues before they put the LEs into production...period!

In theory, that should be the way its done. I guess the logic in the past was that the LE owners deserved the first deliveries. I guess at least they have some Pros off the line and that should be ironing out many of the early problems. Where did I read that the LE production is on hold for QC reasons? Must have been another thread. That's a positive.

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from Eddie:

We finished the tournament on a Bally Kiss.

Ouch.....that should be embarrassing for Stern.

#22 8 years ago

I'm going to wait it out this week. If the game isn't ready to ship by Friday, I'm going to cancel and wait a few months to re-order.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

Ouch.....that should be embarrassing for Stern.

Knockout punch in the Bally vs Stern argument! 36 yo Bally Kiss still playing better than 2 week old Stern Kiss.

(It's a joke before anyone gets too upset- I will gladly order a Stern Kiss soon.....and I really really don't want a Bally Kiss)

#24 8 years ago

I just had to pay for my kiss le today- I am very worried as I have seen some bad qc. gene head with horrible paint job, tables with dirt under the artwork,skid marks on the balls, now the issue on this pro this past Saturday. I will gladly wait till things get worked out.

#25 8 years ago

Gawd. settle down, people. Played one in Ohio Saturday. Played well all day long. Constant play.

#26 8 years ago

I wouldnt be worried about the new Kiss as the problem is nothing major and could be solved with a few minor adjustments.

The issue may also be an anomaly with this particular unit.

I found it to be fun, even with the first code rendition.

We will be getting one at Modern pinball soon and if there are any more issues they will reveal themselves in due time..

#27 8 years ago

image.jpgimage.jpg

Quoted from Eddie:The issue may also be an anomaly with this particular unit.

You said anomaly
Great album

1 week later
#28 8 years ago

Was just in contact with Steve Keeler owner of RF and asked the status of the machine and he says that after I adjusted some things the machine has played fine.

I chalk it up to a QC issue and not a machine issue.

So anomaly was a fitting term.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-issues-at-rock-fantasy-launch-party and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.