(Topic ID: 116219)

KISS is up next, followed by Game of Thrones.

By Minneapolispin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Do you believe it?”

• Yes 123 votes
      42%
    • No 167 votes
      58%

(290 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Gwar-featured-image1.jpg
    th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    37.jpg
    11407256_10153345088929244_3755698981527677691_n.jpg
    11391494_10153345089019244_4406029722343800663_n.jpg
    11150461_10153345088869244_1154285658241870044_n.jpg
    11407095_10153345087904244_1292106491951471556_n.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 4.45.14 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 4.45.27 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 4.45.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-05-05 at 4.45.53 PM.png
    image.jpg
    wnbjm .jpg
    11218510_1004168309593664_912719494762115184_n.jpg
    KISS.jpg
    There are 432 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.
    #301 9 years ago

This doesn't really count IMO. Most looking to buy new pins want a modern layout not an EM type game. I'm assuming Stern will see the truth in this when the analyze the sales for the Melons. Most clamoring for an original theme are talking about a modern style pin with original theme.

#302 9 years ago

How about a Bad Religion pinball machine. They're old but still relevant

#303 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

After listening to a lot of the great "modern" bands that played at Coachella this weekend including a shredding set by Jack White Saturday night, it makes me curious why so many would want another new machine based on a band that was in their prime in the mid 70s instead of something new and fresh.

5 years down the road no one will even know the names of those teeny bop bands. If by chance one of them does withstand the test of time, then they might get a pinball machine.

#304 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I guess I'll just keep on playing my old machines and listening to my modern music

Kiss got their pin when they were 5 years old.

Nugent got his pin 3 years into his solo career.

Zombie, White Stripes and Eminem are all going on 20 years old; give us a "new" band that would sell some pins today.......

#305 9 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

They rocked the house at Coachella as well this weekend. How bout Coachella the pinball experience? Even old farts like AC/DC were there. Must have been a helluva weekend!

#306 9 years ago

I would instantly quit the hobby.

#307 9 years ago
    Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Most looking to buy new pins want a modern layout not an EM type game. I'm assuming Stern will see the truth in this when the analyze the sales for the Melons. Most clamoring for an original theme are talking about a modern style pin with original theme.

Like Gary always says, everybody asks for for an original theme, but the European distributors only order a few of them and that's it.

Licensed themes sell container loads.

With 1/2 of Stern's sales going overseas, they are only going to build what the market will buy.

#308 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Like Gary always says, everybody asks for for an original theme, but the European distributors only order a few of them and that's it.
    Licensed themes sell container loads.
    With 1/2 of Stern's sales going overseas, they are only going to build what the market will buy.

Gary has been wrong plenty of times before. If he had an original theme with a modern layout it would sell like hotcakes in the US and would make up for loss of sales overseas. They only build what they 'think' the market will buy. IMO he is wrong about this and I think my proof will be the sales of the original theme coming from JJP in a year.

#309 9 years ago

This doesn't really count IMO. Most looking to buy new pins want a modern layout not an EM type game. I'm assuming Stern will see the truth in this when the analyze the sales for the Melons. Most clamoring for an original theme are talking about a modern style pin with original theme.

This is what I was thinking, I know about the Melons game but not really in the same class of machines as the new stern dmds.

#310 9 years ago

Gary has been wrong plenty of times before.

Of course he has, who hasn't been?

They only build what they 'think' the market will buy.

Of course they do.

It would not make sense to build what they "think" would not sell.

#311 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

give us a "new" band that would sell some pins today.......

Not exactly new, but I think they might be able sell some.

th.jpegth.jpeg

#312 9 years ago

I'd be hard pressed to not buy a Metalocalypse pin. If it was designed by people who at all got the show it could be brilliant.

#313 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

If it was designed by people who at all got the show it could be brilliant.

And for those that don't get it...

th.jpegth.jpeg

#314 9 years ago

Gary has been wrong plenty of times before. If he had an original theme with a modern layout it would sell like hotcakes in the US and would make up for loss of sales overseas. They only build what they 'think' the market will buy. IMO he is wrong about this and I think my proof will be the sales of the original theme coming from JJP in a year.

People need to give up on the original themes thing...

It is not going to happen -- and Gary is a smart businessman not to.

A good licensed theme has a built-in audience that you basically get for free minus the minimal licensing fees. These fees are basically free when you consider the time-saved on not having to come up with an original theme, idea, concept, art, etc.

#315 9 years ago

Here's an original theme, with all kinds of modern stuff:

On the line right now, would love to see it sell like hotcakes!

Thing is, people say they want "an original theme" but what they really mean is "my pet theme". Just being "original" isn't enough. They want something that feels like it's just right for them. "Oh, I didn't mean motor cycle racing" or whatever. I have lots of ideas for original themes that would be incredibly appealing to me. And maybe some other people too! But I kinda doubt it would be easy to just sell them. Like it or not a license brings a ton to the table.

Hey, let's see how Full Throttle does once it's shipping. They're on the line now, I'd imagine we'll see games ship out in a few weeks or so (not involved in that, so just guessing based on what Andrew has said publicly) and once there are some unboxings and people get a real sense for it that's the test for how it will do.

Because if nothing else a license is great for attracting people before they've even played a game yet.

#316 9 years ago

Get that game in my house!! : )

#317 9 years ago

If he had an original theme with a modern layout it would sell like hotcakes in the US and would make up for loss of sales overseas.

I couldn't disagree with this more. Why do people keep saying this when it is so blatantly false?

Quoted from Aurich:

Sure, Stern just did Woah Nellie. Heighway has Full Throttle on the line right now. Spooky is shipping America's Most Haunted.
    Original themes aren't dead. But let's be honest, people don't line up to support them the way they do licensed titles.

This is the truth. Add to these Lexy for the P3, that I love, but most people don't seem to be talking about either. Honest question, will all three/four of these put together total the amount sold of the worst selling Stern in the last 5 years?

Everyone romaticizes the general concept of original theme, until it comes out to crickets. Look at the list above: tits, racing, campy horror, and sci fi. Couldn't have much more diverse of a list. At least one of those themes should resonate with just about everyone, but they just don't seem to. Licenses draw on a nostalgia and connection with people that original themes can't.

Now, I'm buying 2 of the games on the above list, but I'm guessing I'm in the minority there.

#318 9 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

I couldn't disagree with this more. Why do people keep saying this when it is so blatantly false?

This is the truth. Add to these Lexy for the P3, that I love, but most people don't seem to be talking about either. Honest question, will all three/four of these put together total the amount sold of the worst selling Stern in the last 5 years?
    Everyone romaticizes the general concept of original theme, until it comes out to crickets. Look at the list above: tits, racing, campy horror, and sci fi. Couldn't have much more diverse of a list. At least one of those themes should resonate with just about everyone, but they just don't seem to. Licenses draw on a nostalgia and connection with people that original themes can't.
    Now, I'm buying 2 of the games on the above list, but I'm guessing I'm in the minority there.

I have 3 on the list. I am a huge fan of original themes and try to support them all. Heck, I sent Wes and Vonnie $100.

#319 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

» YouTube video
    On the line right now, would love to see it sell like hotcakes!
    Thing is, people say they want "an original theme" but what they really mean is "my pet theme". Just being "original" isn't enough. They want something that feels like it's just right for them. "Oh, I didn't mean motor cycle racing" or whatever. I have lots of ideas for original themes that would be incredibly appealing to me. And maybe some other people too! But I kinda doubt it would be easy to just sell them. Like it or not a license brings a ton to the table.
    Hey, let's see how Full Throttle does once it's shipping. They're on the line now, I'd imagine we'll see games ship out in a few weeks or so (not involved in that, so just guessing based on what Andrew has said publicly) and once there are some unboxings and people get a real sense for it that's the test for how it will do.
    Because if nothing else a license is great for attracting people before they've even played a game yet.

So I know nothing about full throttle is it not based on the game? I could totally see that as a phenomenal pinball machine.

#320 9 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

“KISS is the next pin that will be announced later this Spring (designed by Borg). Then Game of Thrones from Steve will follow late in the year. Take that to the bank”.

Looks like I'll have enough cash in the bank once Star Wars hits, might even afford an LE! Praise the source (force?) if the above statement is true.

#321 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blu:

So I know nothing about full throttle is it not based on the game? I could totally see that as a phenomenal pinball machine.

No, original game. Not connected to anything else with the same name. First ones are being built in the factory right now.

#322 9 years ago

Attack From Mars & Medieval Madness two of the most well loved pins on the market today. A good original theme will sell can't wait for Lawlor to prove that. Full Throttle looks cool so guess we will see on that one as well. I think an original theme would of sold better then Mustang & WWE. I respect all views even though I may not agree with them.

Even if Stern sticks to no original theme rule I sure am glad Heighway and JJP are around to bring some original themes to the table.

#323 9 years ago

GoT is a good show, wife and I just finished season 4, Viper vs. the Mountain, wow. What a fight!

But as a pin theme, I'm just not feeling the love.

#324 9 years ago

Attack from Mars & Medieval Madness two of the most well loved pins on the market today. A good original theme will sell can't wait for Lawlor to prove that. Full Throttle looks cool so guess we will see on that one as well. I think an original theme would of sold better then Mustang & WWE. I respect all views even though I may not agree with them.
    Even if Stern sticks to no original theme rule I sure am GLWT Heighway and JJP are around to bring some original themes to the table.

I love the idea of a well executed original theme. I don't think we've seen anything with the care and depth of AFM or MM in a long time in that arena. I'm definitely not ready to rule them out, it could happen again.

But it's hard, and risky, and licenses provide a lot of insurance. There's no question there's more buzz and excitement for Alien than Full Throttle.

But Full Throttle hasn't gotten into people's hands yet. There's a lot of cool ideas in Heighway's pins, I'm looking forward to the first impressions for sure.

#325 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

But Full Throttle hasn't gotten into people's hands yet. There's a lot of cool ideas in Heighway's pins, I'm looking forward to the first impressions for sure.

On that subject. Are you bringing one to PAGG?

#326 9 years ago
    Quoted from dri:

Be a great opportunity to strike a nerve with a big NIB buying area. Hope to see it there!

#327 9 years ago
    Quoted from Cheeks:

This is the truth. Add to these Lexy for the P3, that I love, but most people don't seem to be talking about either. *snip*
    Everyone romaticizes the general concept of original theme, until it comes out to crickets. *snip*
    Licenses draw on a nostalgia and connection with people that original themes can't.

You got it...everyone romanticizes...but the truth is an original theme is still a theme! That theme has to be executed well enough to get you interested. I can't tell you how many people see my Road Show and go "Feh! Road construction...what a stupid theme". I had zero interest in fishing, but eventually bought Fish Tales despite its theme because the price is right. That's why NEW original themes don't do well. No one wants to spend $6-8k on something they don't have any connection to. If I find an old B/W game with an original theme for less than $2k, I'll take a shot on it...but NIB prices? It has to have a "cool factor" built in already.

While I applaud anyone trying to make original themed games, no one's made one yet I would spend NIB money on:
    AMH - cool idea, mediocre art, horrible voicework. Pass.
    Melons - I don't do EMs, especially at that price. Pass.
    Full Throttle - I don't care about racing...don't like their original character racer guy toy. Pass.
    Lexi - Love P3, *hate* Lexi. Character, concept, art and animation are terrible. Pass.

Lebowski? Like you said - nostalgia and connection. I already love Lebowski, so I'm predisposed to being interested in the game. *IN!* Even themes I wasn't interested in (Lord of the Rings, for example) provides the game designer with so much art/music/story to draw from...there's a level of professionalism that can draw you in. I fell in love with LOTR thru the pin...THEN watched the movies!

#328 9 years ago
    Quoted from dri:

Well I'm sure not, I don't have one! I'm just working on Alien, I don't speak for Heighway or anything.

I'm looking forward to people playing Full Throttle, because it will be a bit of a preview of Alien in some ways, like how the screen feels in the playfield, the cabinet and inductive switches and all that, and a little taste of the full RGB lighting system. But I'm not at all involved in the game.

#329 9 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I love the idea of a well executed original theme. I don't think we've seen anything with the care and depth of AFM or MM in a long time in that arena. I'm definitely not ready to rule them out, it could happen again.
    But it's hard, and risky, and licenses provide a lot of insurance. There's no question there's more buzz and excitement for Alien than Full Throttle.

I think it takes a good design probably by a proven designer & a theme that people are attracted to. Not so sure full throttle is the right type of original theme to entice the masses. That said it does look cool and innovative. I think AMH came up with a cool theme and executed it pretty well. Not sure on the number sold but I'm glad a pin like this is out there.

I can see why an original title takes more thought and ingenuity then a licsensed one. Having a mix of liscenced & original for buyers to choose from would be awesome. Unsure why some would prefer only liscenced pins but guess we all have our own tastes.

Quoted from Cheeks:

Well...That's just like your opinion maan. We'd all like our opinions to be facts but that's not usually how it works. I've been wrong plenty of times in my life and don't think my opinions on this are 100% correct. I see your emphatic on your opinion on original themes I just don't agree. Not a big deal.

2 weeks later
    #330 8 years ago

I can almost hear it.... "You wanted the best, you got the best, the hottest pin in the world.....KISS!!!"

#331 8 years ago

I think you are all wrong. The next game is not kiss and not game of thrones.

#332 8 years ago

What is it then?

#333 8 years ago

I really wish Stern would rerun Seawitch, Stargazer and Quicksilver.

#334 8 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

Yes please!

#335 8 years ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

Just watched this again, looks fun. I really like the left outlane arrangement, I hope one makes it out on location in my area.

#336 8 years ago

I heard this pretty firmly.

Kiss, GOT, and then Jurassic Park.

#337 8 years ago

Borg is up next. I personally highly doubt that he'd be attached to Kiss.

I would believe Fast and the Furious, GOT and then I'm not sure what for Trudeau's game.

#338 8 years ago
    Quoted from turbo20lbs:

I heard this pretty firmly.
    Kiss, GOT, and then Jurassic Park.

Isn't Jurassic Park (the movie) coming out in June?

How has Stern typically lined up with movie releases on movie themes? A modern JP has some good potential, especially if there was an LCD involved.

#339 8 years ago

Attack from Mars & Medieval Madness two of the most well loved pins on the market today. A good original theme will sell can't wait for Lawlor to prove that. Full Throttle looks cool so guess we will see on that one as well. I think an original theme would of sold better then Mustang & WWE. I respect all views even though I may not agree with them.
    Even if Stern sticks to no original theme rule I sure am glad Heighway and JJP are around to bring some original themes to the table.

And don't forget earlier games like a High Speed, Pinbot and Whirlwind.

A license doesn't make a pin successful - the game play does. A license just helps initial sales.

#340 8 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

I can almost hear it.... "You wanted the best, you got the best, the hottest pin in the world.....KISS!!!"

"You wanted the best, you got Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer! All over this pinball machine! And you get an entire soundtrack of songs that aren't the originals, but the 2010 re-recordings!!!"

Doesn't have the same ring to it but if this game happens I think this will ring true.

#341 8 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

"Today's" top artists are not exactly what 50 year old pin buyers are likely to be interested in:
    Ariana Grande
    One Direction
    Rihanna
    Taylor Swift
    Katy Perry
    Pharrell Williams
    Justin Bieber
    Bruno Mars
    Jay Z
    Lady Gaga
    Chris Brown
    Beyonce
    Michael Buble
    Drake
    Nicki Minaj

Wow thats sad and a testament to the lamest generation yet encountered. Very happy I grew up in the 80's and went through my late teens and early 20's in the 90's.

#342 8 years ago
    Quoted from Allibaster:

How has Stern typically lined up with movie releases on movie themes?

They simply don't line up. Pinball always after movie.

#343 8 years ago

Hmmm, don't know if we really need another KISS pin, but these guys might make interesting subject matter...

Gwar-featured-image1.jpgGwar-featured-image1.jpg
    #344 8 years ago
    Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I think you are all wrong. The next game is not kiss and not game of thrones.

I just put a $2K deposit down on a Kiss LE so..........

#345 8 years ago
    Quoted from Breadfan:

I just put a $2K deposit down on a Kiss LE so..........

#346 8 years ago

I got outside info it will be The Muppets.

#347 8 years ago

"But Full Throttle hasn't gotten into people's hands yet. There's a lot of cool ideas in Heighway's pins, I'm looking forward to the first impressions for"

Even with Full a Throttle (which I am seriously considering picking up), there is no denying that had it been paired with the MotoGP license it would guaranteed sell like a bat out of hell in Europe. Licenses just bring with them a built in audience that instantly connects....be it purchasing a home pin or plugging in quarters on a route. Pinball is still much more niche than it was in the 1990s and earlier, hence less ability to experiment. It's all subjective though, and with a handful of new pins coming out each year, it stings a little for individual collectors when none of the machines connect theme wise, regardless if they are original or licensed.

#348 8 years ago
    Quoted from jfh:

And don't forget earlier games like a High Speed, Pinbot and Whirlwind.
    A license doesn't make a pin successful - the game play does. A license just helps initial sales.

Thanks all great additional examples. I love me some Whirlwind. I agree a license helps with initial sales which are important for sure. So I can see why a manufacturer would be hesitant.

An original theme just allows for more creative leeway and if done right can end up being one of the community's favorite pins. I think Pinball has gained enough popularity to go back to making some original themes. Sorry for getting off topic I'll shut up about this now.

#349 8 years ago

I don't see Stern making any original theme pins. License themes are so much easier in that you already have artwork, callouts, music, and other material to work with. Original themes need everything from scratch which probably costs more in the long run. Stern doesn't take many risks and follow the same formula while trimming costs everywhere they can. I don't blame them since it's a lot easier to gauge excitement over licensed themes than original. If you can get a license for a popular tv show or movie, you are pretty much guaranteed some success whether the game is good or not.

#350 8 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

I don't see Stern making any original theme pins. License themes are so much easier in that you already have artwork, callouts, music, and other material to work with. Original themes need everything from scratch which probably costs more in the long run. Stern doesn't take many risks and follow the same formula while trimming costs everywhere they can. I don't blame them since it's a lot easier to gauge excitement over licensed themes than original. If you can get a license for a popular tv show or movie, you are pretty much guaranteed some success whether the game is good or not.

Agree 100%.

The ONLY thing that I think could change this is a WILDLY successful game from Lawlor/JJP (which, btw, I'm praying for)!

But, damn, even if that happened, Stern could likely keep their factory humming with "safe bets":
    PPS remakes
    VE's
    rock band/movie/tv show/rinse-n-repeat themes

There are 432 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-is-up-next-followed-by-game-of-thrones/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.