(Topic ID: 93742)

Kiss hasn't been relevant in over 3 decades.

By Collin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 263 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by katoskave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hall.jpg
    th-1-698.jpeg
    post2.jpg
    kisstix.jpg
    100_0983.JPG
    ICP Stern.jpg
    Kiss+-+Kiss+My+Ass-Double+Platinum+-+DOUBLE+CD-429254.jpg
    my kiss.JPG
    Rainier-Demon1.jpg
    th-1-123.jpeg
    Arcada_Theater_Building_(St._Charles,_IL)_02.JPG
    runaway-spider-bots.jpg
    kiss.jpg
    geico.jpg
    images fire suit..jpg
    kii.jpg

There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.
    #151 9 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Wow! That hurts coming from someone who lives in Minnesota. I thought my forum would be the 2nd most boring place on Earth, right after your house.

Quoted from kid_ego:

Wow! That hurts coming from someone who lives in Minnesota. I thought my forum would be the 2nd most boring place on Earth, right after your house.

I'm sure Harvard, IL is a meca for...well...everything at a whopping under 10k population. And when you make to the big city you have to pray not to get shot walking down the street. Sounds like a ton of fun.

#152 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Hawkwind.
    Or, ya know, BLACK SABBATH!

Sabbath. #1 album too.

Poor Kiss has NEVER had a number 1.

#153 9 years ago
    Quoted from Homertv:

I bet more people are buying tickets to see Def Leppard then Kiss

Kiss is still fun to see live and stage show. Still sounds good compared to Def Leppard when Joe Elliot can't hit a single note. I am not the biggest Kiss fan besides the hits but show is fun and better than going to a boring movies made today.yes ticket prices are out of control. But I am a concet fan and hate movies or don't go to movies so concerts are my thing when they come up. All the great bands will be gone soon. Take advantage and see them for whatever it's worth to you.

#154 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Lemmy FTW!

th-1-123.jpeg 11 KB

Motörhead every other year puts out an album. They deserve a pin and Lemmy wants one as well. Too bad it will never happen but at least not my favorite song The Ace of Spades is in Mustang. That's worth somthing? Curious if te band is aware or how approval went for the song. Wish I liked the game more but maybe it will grow on me.

#155 9 years ago

Just came back to this thread. Nice edit of your initial post there OP.

Gotta love pinside! If you get too many thumbs down because you were trolling, just change what you wrote. Maybe no one will notice. And now Ill get thumbs up. B.S. you are a ____! For doing that. And I'm calling you on it!

#156 9 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Kind of, but not really . I've went to shows to see opening acts and then left before the headliner .I suppose in this case it's a toss up on who is opening for who , But I would guess that the Hearing Impaired Leopards are opening for Kiss .

No reason to leave until full show is over. Regardless of if dislike. You will regret it.

#157 9 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Gotta love pinside! If you get too many thumbs down because you were trolling, just change what you wrote. Maybe no one will notice. And now Ill get thumbs up. B.S. you are a ___! For doing that. And I'm calling you on it!

Ill come back and edit this tomorrow.

#158 9 years ago
    Quoted from karmalord:

Man I hope it plays better than the two at the show I was at cause that wouldn't be saying much for the rest of the pins there. They both played like two slow moving turds. Long and agonizing

That is my point. All the machines at Modern are probably the best playing machines you will find on location period and yet The KISS machine ( Which plays perfectly but still slow and simple as compared to modern pins) gets played consistently even over other machines Metallica , STLE, ACDC LE etc.

#159 9 years ago

Puppet Show and KISS....

#160 9 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Gotta love pinside! If you get too many thumbs down because you were trolling, just change what you wrote. Maybe no one will notice. And now Ill get thumbs up. B.S. you are a ___! For doing that. And I'm calling you on it!

Yeah, the original post just said "deal with it." The edit reflects the actual reasons most people don't care about Kiss, and haven't for years.

What of it?

#161 9 years ago

I suppose "ever" is technically "over three decades."

Well, their relevance was right up there with the Bay City Rollers' "Saturday Night", I'll give them that. (add smilies as needed.)

I didn't have much (read: any) enthusiasm for AC/DC either, until it turned out to be a kick ass game, so I can't say I'd never buy a new KISS game.

#162 9 years ago
    Quoted from gearheaddropping:

Puppet Show and KISS....

well-played!

#163 9 years ago

I didnt listen to Kiss much in my youth but did go to a few of their concerts. Still like to to rock and roll all night but prefer to sleep all day. I'm an old cranky bastard - no one wants to hear my opinion on a new Kiss pin.

#164 9 years ago

Going to their show at the end of the month. Won't miss it even if I have to play hooky!

#165 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Yeah, the original post just said "deal with it." The edit reflects the actual reasons most people don't care about Kiss, and haven't for years.
    What of it?

Your new post says that these bands you aparantly like or think are still relivant. Along with the ones I posted. So you took my post and edited your initial post. To still try and make your point. Yet you flip flopped on your initial post due to all the thumbs downs.

But basically you stole my post. Lol

I dislike kiss. Their music etc. But I also dislike metallica and ACDC.

But out of the three if I had to pick a pinball machine based on them, it would be kiss.

How is this not relivant? THATS WHAT OF IT?

Counting the 1978 solo albums, Kiss has been awarded 28 gold albums to date, the most of any American rock band.[2] The band has sold more than 40 million albums in the United States, of which 24 million have been certified by the RIAA[3] and their worldwide sales exceeds 100 million records, making them one of the world’s best-selling bands of all time.

#166 9 years ago

How many mainsteam bands really have been relevant in the last 30 years? They've all been out there on greatest hits tours for the most part. For the last 15 years, no one has been able to sell a record thanks to Napster and the beginning of illegal downloads. The only bands who are financially viable are the ones that are grandfathered in, so to speak, and were popular before MP3's. Sure the Stones can sell out arenas, McCartney can sell out arenas, U2 can sell out arenas. After that the list starts to get pretty thin. AC/DC can sell out arenas because they have been in one record/one tour every 8-9 years for the past 20 years or so, so they have pent up demand.

To get back to the original assertion that Kiss hasn't been relevant in over 3 decades is a bit of a stretch. The reality is that they haven't been relevant since the reunion tours of the late 90's. So, I would go with around 15 years. But for me, I love their back catalog and they have plenty of great songs to fill the needs of a pin. They also have plenty of great themes and gimmicks for a pin. I definitely picture a toy that spits blood in some sort of acrylic case, where it just sort of cycles through so that it can happen over and over again. I definitely picture a smoking Ace Frehley guitar for the match sequence.

#167 9 years ago

Repost-- Sorry.

#168 9 years ago
    Quoted from usandthem:

How many mainsteam bands really have been relevant in the last 30 years? They've all been out there on greatest hits tours for the most part. For the last 15 years, no one has been able to sell a record thanks to Napster and the beginning of illegal downloads.

Ehh....make them work for their money, like every other entertainer.

#169 9 years ago

If Borg is the designer (I believe he is a KISS fan) and Lyman is on the rules (I believe he can save almost any pin/layout) then the pinball machine will be good. Other designers at Stern could do a good job on it as well because they are professionals, but I would want the designer who was the biggest KISS fan to get the job. If it is not John then I stand corrected, pass the game along to the designer who is.

I think there is tons of potential for the game, and also tons of potential to disappoint the fans. I'm hoping Stern and KISS do this one right. Gene has said a lot of things, but one of the things he has said many times is *give the fans what they want*. I hope this holds true for this game and we don't have to suffer through any *actual* photos of the band and it stays character based.

Scott

#170 9 years ago

Just a useless post

#171 9 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

It was September 1, 2006. I thought it was more recent. I called my friend Ron who owns the theater. They sold tickets for as low as $25. 800 people showed up. I was way off on the timeframe, but not off on the fact that they have faded in last 20 years. Give me Zep, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rush, Aerosmith or a dozen others before Kiss. Just one man's opinion who grew up loving Kiss and the affair has taken its course.

100% untrue, unrealistic, and impossible. In 1996, the original 4 members reunited for the 96-97 Worldwide Reunion Tour. They sold out 40K+ seats at old Tiger Stadium in less than 45 minutes for opening night , June 28,1996. On September 1, 2006 Kiss played to a sold out house at the Spokane Coliseum in WA. 4 days later they did the Under The Brooklyn Bridge concert for a live performance on the MTV video awards.

Someone is full of it.

A Kiss TRIBUTE band, most likely Mr.Speed, played the Arcada Theater on that date. KISS has NEVER played the Arcada.

my kiss.JPGmy kiss.JPG
    #172 9 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

It's a discussion forum, I don't like cheerios either.

Now I'm offended

#173 9 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

A Kiss TRIBUTE band, most likely Mr.Speed, played the Arcada Theater on that date. KISS has NEVER played the Arcada.

http://www.kissonline.com/news/article/id/4821

#174 9 years ago

a concert film and televised short set of Paul Stanley is not exactly a Kiss concert at the arcada

#176 9 years ago

Ok so maybe a little musical lesson is in order. First lets talk about Bon Jovi (though I cant stand his music), he still sells out stadiums, is still current, and on March 12, 2013, Bon Jovi released their 12th studio album. Thats 12 albums that sold quite well world wide.

Ok so not 40 years but still going strong at 33 Loudness. They are still selling out venues. As long as Akira Takasaki keeps playing those killer riffs I will continue to listen. The Sun Will Rise Again was released recently (april) and is awesome!

Chilli Peppers seem to be doing well 31 years later. They are working on a new album right now as we speak.

2016 will be 40 years for U2. They are still relevant and sell out world wide. Awesome musicians and some great songs that will be remembered for a long time to come.

Kiss must still be relevant or else you wouldn't have brought them up. I am not a fan of the band personally but do like some of their songs. I remember the days when we waited in anticipation for our favorite artists to get back in the studio after a long tour and write some more songs and crank out that new album. Now days when it comes to artists it seems like they tour for 6 months while someone else writes their new albums for them. Lay down the vocals and voila another tour for another BS album.

If you want to get deep into the relevance of some of the artists of yesteryear how about Aldo Nova? Most of you remember him for his song Fantasy. What you most likely didn't know is that he has written hit songs for Celine Dion, Clay Aiken, and many others. He wrote the guitar riff for Bon Jovi's song Blaze Of Glory too!

Now even though they have gone through a few lead singer changes, Journey still sells out concert venues to this day. I can't stand Don't Stop Believin' that song really doesn't showcase who they are as a band. Obviously there is only one Steve Perry however Jeff Scott Soto did an awesome job filling in. Steve Augeri did a rather amazing job too. I do like Arnel Pineda however I just don't seem him having the staying power of either of the latter. Either way, ROCK ON JOURNEY!

So many artists have done great things off of the radar and are presumed no longer relevant. I disagree. Being in the spot light doesn't make you relevant, its your body of work both past and present that make you relevant. I don't much care one way or another (take them or leave them) about KISS however they do show a lot of support for our military and also help several charities out a lot. Eric Singer gets a huge thanks from me personally for donating some things via me to the American Cancer Society.

If artists like Lil Wayne, Rhianna, Nicki Minaj, Nickelback, and some of the other garbage I hear on my radio stay mainstream then I believe music as we know it will continue to suck. I remember when songs stood for something, head heart, and were actually written by the artists themselves. Stop all of this so called "popular music", same as the next guy shit and be original.

I have been involved with music for over 20 years of my life but what do I know? I am just an aspiring musician, producer, song writer, and probably never will be with a passion for killer riffs, pinball, and fast cars (or in my current case El Caminos) lol.

#177 9 years ago

Well put Katoskave! A lot of people don't know the huge influence and contributions of Aldo Nova.

#178 9 years ago
    Quoted from katoskave:

Ok so maybe a little musical lesson is in order.

Bon Jovi, Aldo Nova, Journey, lol. Thank's for the lessen. You forgot to mention Gregg Rolie. After he left, Journey became just another circus act. He handled the vocals just fine with or without Steve Perry.

#179 9 years ago

Might not be relivant but here are the FACTS:

Counting the 1978 solo albums, Kiss has been awarded 28 gold albums to date, the most of any American rock band.[2] The band has sold more than 40 million albums in the United States, of which 24 million have been certified by the RIAA[3] and their worldwide sales exceeds 100 million records, making them one of the world’s best-selling bands of all time.

#180 9 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Shhhhh....don't get them angry with a bunch of facts.

#181 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

Shhhhh....don't get them angry with a bunch of facts.

I can get where the OP is coming from. While KISS has indeed sold a ton of records, they're not exactly relevant in the sense that nobody under 50 knows much about them. I'm 36 and I couldn't tell you the name of a single album of theirs. I know a few songs, I guess. "I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night", "Calling Dr. Love", "Detroit Rock City" and the bodacious tune at the end of Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey.

Now, I feel like I'm coming in late to the conversation here, but I haven't actually seen an announcement for any kind of KISS-themed pin. So it's time for UvulaBob's Rampant Speculation! I spent some time chatting with Steve Ritchie at the Tacoma pinball show, and he seems to love rock music as a general pinball theme. He spoke really highly of the theme AC/DC and Metallica pins. And the thing that both pins bring to the table is less about "The Music Of" and more about "The Image Of".

In that vein, I think a KISS pin is just fine for a theme. Everyone knows that KISS exists. Everyone knows that they had this crazy-ass makeup and played to huge arenas. Play it up as an over-the-top tribute to the idea of KISS, rather than trying to generate a new generation of KISS fans, and I think you've got a fine pin as long as it plays well.

I wouldn't buy one (even if I could afford it) but I think I can see where Stern is coming from if they are indeed planning on a KISS pin.

#182 9 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

That doesn't change the fact that ever since the late 70s they suck....big-time. Their last decent album was released in 1977. Everything after that is pretty-much a joke.

#183 9 years ago

That was a great year. Kiss were a very popular act. But with the solo albums it looked like the end was near. I think the follow up song Love Gun was pretty cool, but I don't remember if that album had too much else to offer. 1978 was a long time ago. But it was a great year.

#184 9 years ago

Maybe stern could just do Insane Clown Posse instead. It would be like almost the same thing...

#185 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blairally:

Maybe stern could just do Insane Clown Posse instead. It would be like almost the same thing...

ICP does have the look and the branding , but in their 20 years they have only sold 9 million albums.

Most people over 20 years of age can name 5 KISS songs, but most people on Pinside can't name 5 ICP songs

ICP Stern.jpgICP Stern.jpg

#186 9 years ago
    Quoted from Iceman5000:

Well put Katoskave! A lot of people don't know the huge influence and contributions of Aldo Nova.

99% of all people can only name one Aldo Nova song. I love his work. Blood On The Bricks and Subject Aldo Nova are very great works of music. Most of the songs that are played on the radio today aren't nearly as good as the rest of the artists album. Take a look at Kip Winger for instance. Most people don't even know he was in the Alice Cooper Band. He also wrote the musical score for a play. Pure music is rare these days. People might make fun of me for this but I am really into Duncan Sheik. His words paired with his voice really move me.

Quoted from vid1900:

ICP does have the look and the branding , but in their 20 years they have only sold 9 million albums.
    Most people over 20 years of age can name 5 KISS songs, but most people on Pinside can't name 5 ICP songs

Maybe its because nobody would call most of their works "talent" or for that matter even "real music". It sounds like a bunch of vulgar noise to me.

Iceman, you ever hear of a guy named Kim Mitchell? He did some pretty groovy guitar work on some old Max Webster records. Drive And Desire comes to mind!

#187 9 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

ICP Stern.jpg 152 KB

I was soooo joking.

"fuckin magnets how do they work?!"

#188 9 years ago

Now, GWAR? That... would be a hell of a pin.

#189 9 years ago
    Quoted from Blairally:

I was soooo joking.

Clearly, but ICP would make a good theme (for about 100 fans).

#190 9 years ago
    Quoted from UvulaBob:

Now, GWAR? That... would be a hell of a pin.

YES!
    So many options,
    Bring back the bomb multiball restart, slave pit, crack jokes, re use the toilet from sp or ap for this toilet earth.
    Anything from planet Scumdog wins in my book.
    RIP Oderus.

#191 9 years ago

"kiss-hasnt-been-relevant-in-over-3-decades"

I have to agree. Same as Springsteen. The same 15,000 55 year olds in each city go to the same old concert year after year and look around thinking how popular the band still is and how cool they are to be there with their pot belly and 3/4 bald head with a pony tail. Meanwhile 99.999% of the population don't give a rat's ass and can't name a single song they sing.

#192 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

The same 15,000 55 year olds in each city go to the same old concert year after year and look around thinking how popular the band still is and how cool they are to be there with their pot belly and 3/4 bald head with a pony tail.

Show some goddamn respect dude; it's called a "Skullet."

#193 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

The same 15,000 55 year olds in each city ... 99.999% of the population don't give a rat's ass.

Ahem, .001% of 318 million is only 3180 people.

99.9%, maybe; .1% could fill 21 15000-seat concerts.

#194 9 years ago

Glad some are excited and that the theme does not appeal to me as I won't be able to add the next release anyways. Win win

#195 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

That was a great year. Kiss were a very popular act. But with the solo albums it looked like the end was near. I think the follow up song Love Gun was pretty cool, but I don't remember if that album had too much else to offer. 1978 was a long time ago. But it was a great year.

The solo albums came after the album Love Gun (and after KISS Alive II [side 4 being all new studio songs] and after Double Platinum [featuring Strutter '78, a remix of their classic]). Still, by the solo albums it was obvious even to teenagers (and younger) that KISS was running out of gas (and tearing apart at the seams). There have been a few bright spots since then; Creatures of the Night and Revenge (to a lesser extent) come to mind.

Personally, I am fond of *some* of Unmasked and *some* of Psycho Circus, but I think that's mostly just me.

9 out of 10 songs they have recorded since the album Love Gun pretty much suck, but I still consider myself a huge KISS fan. Yes, like most, my love of all things KISS is 90% nostalgia based.

Still, that leaves me in the waiting line for a second KISS pin (I already own the first).

Scott

#196 9 years ago
    Quoted from shakethatmachine:

The solo albums came after the album Love Gun (and after KISS Alive II [side 4 being all new studio songs] and after Double Platinum [featuring Strutter '78, a remix of their classic]).

Thanks for helping to clear that up. Some of the late 70s were kind of a blur. It was a great time to be a teenager living in So Cal though.

#198 9 years ago
    Quoted from John_I:

Same as Springsteen. The same 15,000 55 year olds in each city go to the same old concert year after year and look around thinking how popular the band still is and how cool they are to be there with their pot belly and 3/4 bald head with a pony tail.

So now that Kiss along with other ancient rock acts are now the core themes for brand new state of the art pinball machines, I'm surprised no one is shouting out for a Styx pin yet. Come sail away, come sail away, come sail away with meeeeeeeee........

#199 9 years ago

having music pins based on specific types of music would be cool. rock, metal, punk, pop... whatever and have multiple bands music installed.

#200 9 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

It's Sterns way of telling us that pinball is no longer relevant. If it was they would go with current music themes. Seems they are just playing out the string.

Sadly I think you've hit the nail on the head. I guess you can't blame them for catering to their market but I wish it was different. At least they are making new pins at all I suppose. I always get depressed when I have guests over and they act as if pinball machines are invisible or something.

There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-hasnt-been-relevant-in-over-3-decades/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.