(Topic ID: 93742)

Kiss hasn't been relevant in over 3 decades.

By Collin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 263 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by katoskave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hall.jpg
    th-1-698.jpeg
    post2.jpg
    kisstix.jpg
    100_0983.JPG
    ICP Stern.jpg
    Kiss+-+Kiss+My+Ass-Double+Platinum+-+DOUBLE+CD-429254.jpg
    my kiss.JPG
    Rainier-Demon1.jpg
    th-1-123.jpeg
    Arcada_Theater_Building_(St._Charles,_IL)_02.JPG
    runaway-spider-bots.jpg
    kiss.jpg
    geico.jpg
    images fire suit..jpg
    kii.jpg

There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.
    #101 9 years ago
    Quoted from krupa:

Hell, just Gene alone makes them a big target.

runaway-spider-bots.jpgrunaway-spider-bots.jpg

#102 9 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

I did the same thing, thinking I'd finally see them for the nostalgia of it.

Yeah, the cheapest "good" seat was $317!.....$1,200 for the Meet & Greet!

#103 9 years ago

I've seen them 3 times. Once back in the late 70's, and twice on their 'farewell' tours with Peter and Ace. Not the biggest fan, but I don't regret for a second having gone to see them. Awesome shows.

#104 9 years ago

Never been a huge fan. But "Strutter", "Deuce", and "Cold Gin" are solid-gold rock- n-roll.

#105 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

Remember Stern makes multiple titles. Not every title has to "draw in a younger crowd". There are already plenty of younger crowd Stern machines available new and used. Avengers, X-Men, Transformers, Shrek, Spider-Man, etc. If/when Kiss goes into production, there will probably also be a "family" title on the line as well. If they do make a Kiss machine, it's to sell it to Kiss fans....just like Metallica sold to Metallica fans. If the game is good, it'll sell to non-fans on its own merits....and, as AC/DC and Metallica have proven - "music experts and snobs" have no bearing on whether these games appeal to people or not. No one cared that Bon Scott wasn't featured on AC/DC. No one cared that Cliff wasn't featured on Met. No one will care which version of Kiss is featured in Kiss. Kiss fans will be interested & buy it. Plenty of people actually like Kiss' music.
    The best "younger crowd" theme would be Adventure Time ...iron is still hot & teens/adults love it too! Big animated movies that appeal to kids/adults would be good, too - Despicable Me, Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs, something by Pixar (Toy Story, Incredibles, etc)

Kiss and Metallica are 20 years apart, and one is actually selling out stadiums to this day. I predict it will be a failed machine, and they'll cancel after a limited run, and then in the future, people will say they have an awesome rare game, that actually just is rare because it sucks.

#106 9 years ago
    Quoted from Matt_Rasmussen:

Kiss and Metallica are 20 years apart

Not quite. Half that.

#107 9 years ago
    Quoted from Eddie:

Kiss may be irrelevant however as odd as it may seem the 79 Bally KISS at Modern Pinball NYC is one of, if not the most, played machines.
    Maybe its the nostalgia factor maybe it the simplicity of the rules?
    Whatever it is a new KISS machine might fare well amongst a new audience.

Man I hope it plays better than the two at the show I was at cause that wouldn't be saying much for the rest of the pins there. They both played like two slow moving turds. Long and agonizing. I think Kiss deserves a much better pin than the one they got 35 years ago. Put Gene in front of the old Kiss machine and then in front of a new Metallica LE with leds and it would be a no brainer for him I'm sure.

#108 9 years ago

Kiss and Metallica are 20 years apart, and one is actually selling out stadiums to this day. I predict it will be a failed machine, and they'll cancel after a limited run, and then in the future, people will say they have an awesome rare game, that actually just is rare because it sucks.

LOL...OK. They'll sell every LE quickly to the Kiss Army. Pros/Premiums are gravy. It's just one title...if you don't want it, you'll survive. If every title appealed to all of us, we'd be broke and out of room. Stern wants to reach outside of the "usual suspects" for sales.

I'm totally neutral to Kiss... I like "I wanna rock n roll all night" - the Kiss hate seems really extreme and kinda Jr. High, honestly. I like music themes, so if it's cool I'd be interested....I'm wouldn't rush out to get one like I would with, well...RUSH!

#109 9 years ago

I doubt I'll get a KISS pin, but not because of theme.

Well, actually, that's not completely true. I have a small lineup, and I don't want all my pins to be "band" or "music" pins. If they knocked it out of the park from a play perspective, I'd consider it.

Don't understand the negativity of some, though. If it's not a theme you like, pass on it, ignore the threads discussing it, and wait for something more your taste.

No need to piss in everyone's Cheerios.

#110 9 years ago

I love all the hate on KISS and this machine. Call me a KISS-tard all you want. I don't care what the price is. I'll be buying the Premium LE edition, new in box, the first day it's available. Stern knows there are 40-something-year-old guys like me with money to burn, who will buy anything with a KISS logo on it. I'll sit back now and wait to be bashed and made fun of it... I love it.

#111 9 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

I doubt I'll get a KISS pin, but not because of theme.
    Well, actually, that's not completely true. I have a small lineup, and I don't want all my pins to be "band" or "music" pins. If they knocked it out of the park from a play perspective, I'd consider it.
    Don't understand the negativity of some, though. If it's not a theme you like, pass on it, ignore the threads discussing it, and wait for something more your taste.
    No need to piss in everyone's Cheerios.

It's a discussion forum, I don't like cheerios either.

#112 9 years ago

If I were Stern on this one I would re-skin ACDC as Kiss. Nearly all of the modes and inserts are generic enough that they would work for either band, ie Album, tour, band, jam mb, etc. I'd put a molded Gene Simmons face with the tongue sticking out in place of the bell and a "Love Gun" in place of the cannon. Maybe a Detroit Rock City underplayfield instead of Hell? As it stands the weak spot for ACDC is the artwork. I have a feeling that the KISS artwork would be awesome and combined with the rules and layout of ACDC would be a big hit!

#113 9 years ago

It's a discussion forum, I don't like cheerios either.

Even after dumping 2-3 teaspoons of sugar on them?!?

I get that one should expect to have...umm...discussions on a discussion forum.

But more might participate in said discussion if they didn't feel there were always people who spoke in such absolutes waiting to ambush them.

Even if I thought KISS was the worst band in the world, I wouldn't go out of my way to throw it in the face of their devotees in a forum or make guarantees that a yet-to-even-be-designed pin will automatically suck and not sell.

But that's just me.

#114 9 years ago
    Quoted from MikeS:

If I were Stern on this one I would re-skin ACDC as Kiss. Nearly all of the modes and inserts are generic enough that they would work for either band, ie Album, tour, band, jam mb, etc. I'd put a molded Gene Simmons face with the tongue sticking out in place of the bell and a "Love Gun" in place of the cannon. Maybe a Detroit Rock City underplayfield instead of Hell? As it stands the weak spot for ACDC is the artwork. I have a feeling that the KISS artwork would be awesome and combined with the rules and layout of ACDC would be a big hit!

Then no one with an AC/DC would buy one. Stern doesn't need to re-theme anymore...they have 3 full time designers in house.

#115 9 years ago
    Quoted from Minneapolispin:

KISS put out a new album a year and a half ago and are selling out arenas all over the country this summer, even with the $100-200 ticket price. Name 5 other bands that have been around for 40 years that can say that. Seriously. Try to do it.

Bob Dylan
    Paul McCartney
    The Rolling Stones
    Elton John
    ... I could say AC-DC, but that would be too easy, so I'll go with Joni Mitchell. She may not sell out arenas, but she sells out shows, and puts out new music.

#116 9 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

I think you're on to something...
    Beer - The Pinball Machine
    The LE edition could have a built-in kegerator!

Funny I have always thought a brewery themed pin could work as a non licensed theme with the home brew/craft beer geeks. It would be for me unless it was a Bud, Miller/Coors product.

#117 9 years ago
    Quoted from LOTR_breath:

Whatever with KISS. So you are saying ACDC only had one good song? Retard...........

I'm saying their songs all sounds so similar, it's like they only ever wrote one song. No need for the hostility, sweetheart.

#118 9 years ago

...and put out a new album in the last 18 months (not counting a Greatest Hits compilation or Live album).

#119 9 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Even after dumping 2-3 teaspoons of sugar on them?!?
    I get that one should expect to have...umm...discussions on a discussion forum.
    But more might participate in said discussion if they didn't feel there were always people who spoke in such absolutes waiting to ambush them.
    Even if I thought KISS was the worst band in the world, I wouldn't go out of my way to throw it in the face of their devotees in a forum or make guarantees that a yet-to-even-be-designed pin will automatically suck and not sell.
    But that's just me.

Please don't start a forum, it would be the singular most boring place on earth. No one could post opinions on anything.

#120 9 years ago

...and put out a new album in the last 18 months (not counting a Greatest Hits compilation or Live album).

From my list: Paul McCartney & The Boss & Kiss...unless you meant the last 12 months then Kiss is not on that list.
    But ok you seem like a real stickler for the very specific paramiters you have set up (that aren't correct either).

But anyway...using other people's suggestions...

1. McCartney 2. The Boss 3. Aerosmith 4.Elton John 5. Cher 6. Tom Petty
    EDIT: Dylan, Beach Boys & Rush came close with albums just out of reach of your very specific paramiters.

Damn dude...you really got us there.

#121 9 years ago

They barely sold out The Arcada Theater in St. Charles, IL last year. I would hardly call this a major worldwide tour stop. Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc... would not perform here. I agree that they are not very relevant.

Arcada_Theater_Building_(St._Charles,_IL)_02.JPGArcada_Theater_Building_(St._Charles,_IL)_02.JPG
    #122 9 years ago

Okay, Kiss' last album was 2012. I can't be bothered to check specific months that albums were released, but since we're being anal...
    Elton John (Yes, I know what I did there.)
    Aerosmith
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sir Paul
    Bob.

#123 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Okay, Kiss' last album was 2012. I can't be bothered to check specific months that albums were released, but since we're being anal...
    Elton John (Yes, I know what I did there.)
    Aerosmith
    Bruce Springsteen
    Sir Paul
    Bob.

You damn fool. Dylans album was released September 10, 2012...that's more than 18 months.

But hey look...Aerosmith's album was November 6, 2012...I think that just makes it under the guidlines. Phew...I'll update the big board.

EDIT: AND Elton John...oh the excitement...we're getting close! Can we seriously name 5?!?

#124 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

AND Elton John...oh the excitement...we're getting close! Can we seriously name 5?!?

Cher!

#125 9 years ago

Newman, you magnificent bastard, you did it! Cher puts us over dreaded 4 mark, comparible to the 4 minute mile decades ago, proving, once and for all, and most seriously, that there are 5 other bands that can sell out tours, and have released an album with the last 18 months.

#126 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

You damn fool. Dylans album was released September 10, 2012...that's more than 18 months.
    But hey look...Aerosmith's album was November 6, 2012...I think that just makes it under the guidlines. Phew...I'll update the big board.
    EDIT: AND Elton John...oh the excitement...we're getting close! Can we seriously name 5?!?

Hawkwind.

Or, ya know, BLACK SABBATH!

#127 9 years ago
    Quoted from Rarehero:

I'm totally neutral to Kiss... I like "I wanna rock n roll all night" - the Kiss hate seems really extreme and kinda Jr. High, honestly. I like music themes, so if it's cool I'd be interested....I'm wouldn't rush out to get one like I would with, well...RUSH!

I don't care for Kiss at all. Rush is one of my favorite bands of all time, and I'd LOVE to have a Rush themed pin.

That said, I wonder which theme would sell more pins? I'd personally love to believe that Rush would, but I'm certainly not sure if that's the case, and in fact I'd have to admit that Kiss would probably have the broader appeal. Sad as that might be.

#128 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

I don't care for Kiss at all. Rush is one of my favorite bands of all time, and I'd LOVE to have a Rush themed pin.
    That said, I wonder which theme would sell more pins? I'd personally love to believe that Rush would, but I'm certainly not sure if that's the case, and in fact I'd have to admit that Kiss would probably have the broader appeal. Sad as that might be.

Could be about even, give or take. Like Metallica, they're both bands that have fans that consider them "a way of life" ...those are the fans that would buy pinball machines. Their music is also mainstream enough to appeal to people who aren't really even that aware of the bands.

#129 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

Bob Dylan
    Paul McCartney
    The Rolling Stones
    Elton John
    ... I could say AC-DC, but that would be too easy, so I'll go with Joni Mitchell. She may not sell out arenas, but she sells out shows, and puts out new music.

Joni Mitchell hasn't put out an album since 2007.
    And hasn't had an album go gold in the US since the late 70's.

#130 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

Good call! I actually considered using Rush on my list, but couldn't recall if their last album was '11, or '12. Apparently it was '12, though over 18 months ago.

#131 9 years ago

Some of you got ST or Mustang I will play them but not my kind of themes

Kiss is right in my theme pin ...

Bunch of cry baby's !

#132 9 years ago

So you can say Kiss has been irrelevant in the past decades but without Kiss a lot of your bands such as Motley Crüe, Van Halen, etc would not even exist. Bash em am you want but they are rock & roll legends. This pin will be sick and I'm looking forward to playing it.

#134 9 years ago

Beth I see you're texting. But I can't come home right now.

#135 9 years ago

Lemmy FTW!
    th-1-123.jpegth-1-123.jpeg

#136 9 years ago
    Quoted from krupa:

Ha! I agree with your sentiment if not your taste in music.
    I still don't understand why some think their personal opinions reflect the market. If I remember correctly AC/DC, WOZ, and Metallica all got hammered for having terrible themes. All three seem to be solid choices in retrospect.

Completely agree. I couldn't care less about zombies, The Walking Dead, etc but I think it would be stupid for a company not to make a pinball machine based off of these themes. Of course that is finally happening, but it still seems strange to me that it took this long.

Same thing with Kiss and ACDC. I don't like either of these bands, but they both have loyal fan followings that are in the right age group to have the disposable income available to buy pins based on them. It would be silly not to make these pins.

I won't buy them, but plenty of other people will. Well... The ACDC pin is good enough that I could be tempted to buy it in spite of the theme for the right price.

#137 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

Newman, you magnificent bastard, you did it! Cher puts us over dreaded 4 mark, comparible to the 4 minute mile decades ago, proving, once and for all, and most seriously, that there are 5 other bands that can sell out tours, and have released an album with the last 18 months.

Just thought of this guy, Eric Clapton. Had a new album last year.

#138 9 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

Imagine beer 30 multiball madness mode. You have to chug from a tapper without losing the balls.

#139 9 years ago
    Quoted from BillySastard:

Had a new album last year.

Think it will be disallowed as it only had 2 new songs on it.

#140 9 years ago
    Quoted from katoskave:

Imagine beer 30 multiball madness mode. You have to chug from a tapper without losing the balls.

Personally, I'd like to see some Wild Rainiers as playfield toys, but that's kind of a northwestern thing...

Rainier-Demon1.jpgRainier-Demon1.jpg

#141 9 years ago
    Quoted from BackFlipper:

They barely sold out The Arcada Theater in St. Charles, IL last year. I would hardly call this a major worldwide tour stop. Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, etc... would not perform here. I agree that they are not very relevant.

Arcada_Theater_Building_(St._Cha... 259 KB

I hope you are not trying to claim that KISS played at the Arcada Theater last year?

#142 9 years ago
    Quoted from TheLaw:

From my list: Paul McCartney & The Boss & Kiss...unless you meant the last 12 months then Kiss is not on that list.
    But ok you seem like a real stickler for the very specific paramiters you have set up (that aren't correct either).
    But anyway...using other people's suggestions...
    1. McCartney 2. The Boss 3. Aerosmith 4.Elton John 5. Cher 6. Tom Petty

FYI, John Trudeau wanted to do a Beatles pin BADLY when he was at WMS. He had repeatedly asked to get the rights for it, but was refused every time. Listen to the TOPcast interview for more. It would've been awesome, given JT's unique design style. Just imagine if it happened?

http://www.pinrepair.com/topcast/topcast_10.mp3

#143 9 years ago

Word on the street is Lawlor has jumped on board immediately after hearing Stern acquired the rights.

Said Pat, "One head was good (Rudy). Two heads (Red/Ted)... better. But my original concept was always four heads. Sadly that dream never came true once I came to terms that Agnetha, Benny, Björn and Anni-Frid would never get back together. But now, now that dream has been rekindled ... it's going to come true."

Asked if there was any truth to the rumour that Gene's tongue would play a prominent pin-mation role, Pat replied, "The concept game had it, but we had a difficult time with all the saliva and blood on the playfield. Too messy so we cut it out once it hits production".

#144 9 years ago

My thoughts on this topic.

Kiss+-+Kiss+My+Ass-Double+Platinum+-+DOUBLE+CD-429254.jpgKiss+-+Kiss+My+Ass-Double+Platinum+-+DOUBLE+CD-429254.jpg

#145 9 years ago

Please don't start a forum, it would be the singular most boring place on earth. No one could post opinions on anything.

Wow! That hurts coming from someone who lives in Minnesota. I thought my forum would be the 2nd most boring place on Earth, right after your house.

#146 9 years ago
    Quoted from vdojaq:

I hope you are not trying to claim that KISS played at the Arcada Theater last year?

It was September 1, 2006. I thought it was more recent. I called my friend Ron who owns the theater. They sold tickets for as low as $25. 800 people showed up. I was way off on the timeframe, but not off on the fact that they have faded in last 20 years. Give me Zep, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Rush, Aerosmith or a dozen others before Kiss. Just one man's opinion who grew up loving Kiss and the affair has taken its course.

#147 9 years ago
    Quoted from kid_ego:

lmfao. Id rather have one that dispenses beer!

I already built this ,and I'm currently building 2 more .
    Kid_ego you are nto too far from me come check it out some time .

#148 9 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

KISS would without a doubt. I just don't see Rush's music really integrating well with a pinball machine, plus the KISS army of fans. Kind of like the Rolling Stones, I like the Rolling Stones better than KISS but I think KISS's music is much more applicable to a pinball machine for the most part as it's more upbeat and 'fun' rather then filled with deeper meaning and complex chords of other bands.

#149 9 years ago
    Quoted from Homertv:

I bet more people are buying tickets to see Def Leppard then Kiss

Depends which band is opening, no?

#150 9 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

Depends which band is opening, no?

Kind of, but not really . I've went to shows to see opening acts and then left before the headliner .I suppose in this case it's a toss up on who is opening for who , But I would guess that the Hearing Impaired Leopards are opening for Kiss .

There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-hasnt-been-relevant-in-over-3-decades/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.