(Topic ID: 93742)

Kiss hasn't been relevant in over 3 decades.

By Collin

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 263 posts
  • 101 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by katoskave
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

hall.jpg
    th-1-698.jpeg
    post2.jpg
    kisstix.jpg
    100_0983.JPG
    ICP Stern.jpg
    Kiss+-+Kiss+My+Ass-Double+Platinum+-+DOUBLE+CD-429254.jpg
    my kiss.JPG
    Rainier-Demon1.jpg
    th-1-123.jpeg
    Arcada_Theater_Building_(St._Charles,_IL)_02.JPG
    runaway-spider-bots.jpg
    kiss.jpg
    geico.jpg
    images fire suit..jpg
    kii.jpg

There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.
    #1 9 years ago

Metallica - several great and influential songs that're still well known.

Rolling Stones - at least a dozen great and influential songs that're still well known.

ACDC - One great song that they played over and over, but it had a good riff.

Kiss - Puts on a good show, which is the same show they've been putting on for four decades now. That's about it.

#2 9 years ago

Oh, and I can only imagine how this will go, so I'll grab my
    rooster.jpgrooster.jpg
    and
    popcorn.jpgpopcorn.jpg

#3 9 years ago

Relevant enough for huge world tours, tv shows, books, and one of the most frequently tributed band around the globe. Oh yeah, and relevant enough for a new Stern pinball.

#4 9 years ago

Its the show not the music its about the$$$$$ there music is a joke !!!

#5 9 years ago

Starting an argumentative topic are we.

#6 9 years ago

TrilogyBeer's favorite song of all time is.....

#7 9 years ago

He is just upset that Stern ignored his e-mails for a Barbie pinball lmfao.

#8 9 years ago

Not going to feed this thread but... neither has any band that was popular in the '70's. Yet their music is still popular, is still played on the radio and tv.

I hate Kiss as a band and as a pinball machine even less. But AC/DC, ROLLING STONES, LED ZEPPELIN, PINK FLOYD, ALICE COOPER and more are all super popular still to this day. And they all have huge fan bases Its called classic rock for a reason.

Technically Nirvana, Pearl Jam, NIN, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden etc. have not been relevant in nearly 2 decades.
    Does that mean they dont still have fans and continue to get new ones?

Same goes with any music. Deal with it.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from katoskave:

How do you know they ignored them? Never know what Stern might release next.

They could do a Corvette pin featuring Barbie and her pink...Corvette...you sickos.

(Hopefully not a Barbie/Walking Dead mash-up though. That would just be creepy.)

#10 9 years ago

.kii.jpgkii.jpg

#11 9 years ago

You will need one of these at the next pinball show or KISS concert you go to.
    images fire suit..jpgimages fire suit..jpg

#12 9 years ago

Lol Maybe next they will make a cookie monster redemption pinball machine. When you complete modes it gives you a chocolate chip cookie and cookie monster says "Me love cookies, NOM NOM NOM!"

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

TrilogyBeer's favorite song of all time is.....

Kiss is playing Alpine Valley this summer with my other favorite band the Hearing Impaired Leopards , Want to go check them out ?

#14 9 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

Kiss is playing Alpine Valley this summer with my other favorite band the Hearing Impaired Leopards , Want to go check them out ?

August 15? Lets do it! Trophy is pumped up already! Unlike the interceptor tires...

#15 9 years ago

Look at it this way, You just saved a lot of money by switching your insurance to Geico and not buying this pin.

geico.jpggeico.jpg
    #16 9 years ago

Kiss does pretty much suck. They do have a huge fan base though, I'm not really sure how but they are popular and are known even after all these years.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from centerflank:

August 15? Lets do it! Trophy is pumped up already!

Just checked my calender , I've already got something much more fun planned for that night . Darn

#18 9 years ago

You wanted the best you got the best.....the hottest pinball in the world.....KISS!!!!!

Ken

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from katoskave:

Hey! It was the My Little Pony pin I was requesting. Get it right, you sonuva....

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Not going to feed this thread but... neither has any band that was popular in the '70's. Yet their music is still popular, is still played on the radio and tv.
    I hate Kiss as a band and as a pinball machine even less. But AC/DC, Rolling Stones, LED ZEPPELIN, PINK FLOYD, ALICE COOPER and more are all super popular still to this day. And they all have huge fan bases Its called classic rock for a reason.
    Technically Nirvana, Pearl Jam, NIN, Alice in Chains, Soundgarden etc. have not been relevant in nearly 2 decades.
    Does that mean they dont still have fans and continue to get new ones?
    Same goes with any music. Deal with it.

The difference is that most of the other bands you named are still influential on modern music. Kiss was and is a butt-rock band that puts on a good show.

#21 9 years ago

everyone loves ac/dc as a game and said the same thing when that was announced.
    it's the best playing game in years I can ignore the bad music as many happy owners have said.
    just like everyone does on roadshow, fishtales, the stupid pop noise on BSD, it goes on and on.
    people hate metallica and are praising the game.
    I'm not a Kiss fan, I would much rather see slayer, king diamond, or iron maiden.

But yeah I agree BOO KISS!
    I want to work all night and make money everyday

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

The difference is that most of the other bands you named are still influential on modern music. Kiss was and is a butt-rock band that puts on a good show.

So you're expecting to like every theme thy put out? Well aren't you a huckleberry. Nobody is going to like every game theme released. That is why there are so many different spots on the spectrum.

#23 9 years ago
    Quoted from DaveH:

So you're expecting to like every theme thy put out? Well aren't you a huckleberry. Nobody is going to like every game theme released. That is why there are so many different spots on the spectrum.

No, but you'd think they would try to get their games into new markets. Marvel movies make for games that a kid is way more likely to walk up to and play than a bunch of 60-year-old dudes in makeup.

#24 9 years ago

Grew up with Kiss,Loved them beetween 10 to 14 years old then Metallica,Motorhead,DRI....

Great memories and love the fun music and the visual is awesome....

D'ont give a Crap about some people hate,If Lyman is on the Code i will Pull the Trigger
    on The LE !

#25 9 years ago

No theme will make everyone happy. Over the last five years the only themes I have been blown away by is Tron, XMen, and Metallica (AC/DC and Avengers were decent themes in my view).

#26 9 years ago

Put Steve Ritchie on design, let him load it up with toys (and not just cabinet flash), and Lyman on code, and this pin will sell on gameplay alone.

Crappy designed games with crappy code haven't been relevant in 30 years.

#27 9 years ago

I've never understood the kiss obsession some people have. Their music isn't really that good, maybe for the time it was.

I guess it's all about the gameplay on this one. There's been some terrible themes but the game plays good so I guess we will see. Tough luck for jpop though, that proto looked sweet.

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Collin:

No, but you'd think they would try to get their games into new markets. Marvel movies make for games that a kid is way more likely to walk up to and play than a bunch of 60-year-old dudes in makeup.

Well lately they seem to be attempting to hit their target market. Middle aged guys with disposable income that can afford to buy the LE models. Kids aren't really interested in pinball. Put a kid in front of a pinball machine and a redemption game that spits out tickets, and the big spinning wheel that spits the tickets will get the kids tokens. Not pinball.

#29 9 years ago

It's Sterns way of telling us that pinball is no longer relevant. If it was they would go with current music themes. Seems they are just playing out the string.

#30 9 years ago

When they make Iron Maiden pin it will sell more than Kiss. Just my guess if it happens.

#31 9 years ago

KISS was good at playing "da big stoopit", it was simplistic metal-rock very easily taken live and loud. same can be said for early Black Sabbath but I appreciated them more, they were less pop-bubblegummy. I dont get why they've done a G-n-R machine but not a Motley Crue, or Metallica over Megadeth, or AC-DC over AeroSmith, to me it just makes the concept of rock band pinball themes kinda stale and bland. why not "Monsters of Metal" machines with several bands and modes to persue, it might be more interesting-satisfying gameplay: like "hey I scored up the Motley Crue multiball and its playing Wild Side!", or a different route to a couple Def Leppard selections, then tougher modes getting into harder heavier metal from Megadeth, Slayer, Pantera, Kittie, etc etc.

a machine that about announces when a player is kickin its butt for it playing harder faster metal could call people to watch and try the challenges themselves, THAT wouldnt be stale-bland like one machine about only one band IMHO. .. where a player can try to chase a goal to get it to play songs they like from more than one rock group. capture a ball and hold it long enough to hear a song through if they can or go after something else immediately?
    meanwhile, how many times can ya hear "I wanna rock and roll all night"? it just aint special anymore..

#32 9 years ago

Kiss was never relevant to me.

#33 9 years ago
    Quoted from katoskave:

My daughters would love a Barbie pinball table. Keep up with the emails!

#34 9 years ago
    Quoted from PEN:

Kiss was never relevant to me.

Yeah, but I guess being popular is what it's all about, versus influential....how about "The Clash"? Yeah never going to happen.

#35 9 years ago

lmfao. Id rather have one that dispenses beer!

#36 9 years ago

Funny, a lot of people I talk to also think pinball hasn't been relevant in 30 years? I wonder why people always go back to the past? hmmm.

Just a ridiculous post.

#37 9 years ago

I've been thinking about this and...........
    I want to rock and roll all night, and party every day.

If you prefer not to, that's up to you.

#38 9 years ago

I couldn't look past those two themes but I've never bought nib, anyhow.

#39 9 years ago
    Quoted from katoskave:

lmfao. Id rather have one that dispenses beer!

I think you're on to something...

Beer - The Pinball Machine

The LE edition could have a built-in kegerator!

#40 9 years ago

Note: I noticed that Collin edited his first post to be far less inflammatory and to include actual information. The first few follow-up posts might not make a whole lot of sense now.

#41 9 years ago
    Quoted from erak:

Not going to feed this thread but...

...too late...

#42 9 years ago

Why is everyone accepting this as fact already? Ive seen 5+ threads talking about it but I still havent seen any links or any real source.

#43 9 years ago

Although i really am not interested in a kiss pin at this time...i must say that WOZ has not been relevant for longer than kiss but.i do enjoy playing it...

#44 9 years ago
    Quoted from renodakota:

the stupid pop noise on BSD, it goes on and on.

Madness, that's the best pop sound ever imo.

Ping ping ping ping ping urrrrrghh! ping ping pong pong urrrrrrghh!

You hear that from 50 meters away, it draws me in every time.

#45 9 years ago

Pinball hasn't been relevant since the early 1990s yet we keep buying and playing them.

#46 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Pinball hasn't been relevant since the early 1990s yet we keep buying and playing them.

Note quite--arcades haven't been relevant since the 90s. They haven't been all that profitable since console and computer gaming entered the picture. The games themselves are completely relevant, otherwise they wouldn't have the following that they still do now.

#47 9 years ago
    Quoted from ForceFlow:

Note quite--arcades haven't been relevant since the 90s. They haven't been all that profitable since console and computer gaming entered the picture. The games themselves are completely relevant, otherwise they wouldn't have the following that they still do now.

So, KISS still turns a profit, and people still attend their crappy shows and a few even buy their terrible new records.

Does that mean they are still relevant?

#48 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So, KISS still turns a (Huge) profit, and (lots of) people still attend their crappy shows and a (lot) even buy their terrible new records.

Fixed it for you. And the answer to all the above is: yes.

#49 9 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So, KISS still turns a profit, and people still attend their crappy shows and a few even buy their terrible new records.

Are they as relevant as other big-name A-list bands? Maybe not. But you can't deny their look isn't instantly recognizable by a lot of people--even folks who haven't heard their music. That alone I'd probably consider them to be a relevant part of our culture.

For years, I avoided KISS because I thought their look was "too weird". However, once I heard some of their stuff on the radio without knowing beforehand who the artist was, I actually found that I enjoyed it. For instance, I find this one pretty catchy:

Lots of artists actually never turned much of a profit throughout their careers, thanks to music labels taking their cut. However--that doesn't make them any less relevant.

As for arcades, it wasn't so much the lack of profits that did them in--that was just a result. It was home gaming that led to the downfall of arcades. Look at how popular some of the virtual pinball table apps are--millions of installations (for example, the android app of pinball arcade is in the 5-10 million slot). How about all the shows, tournaments, and conventions? How about the skyrocketing prices of pins? This forum? All relevant, IMHO.

#50 9 years ago

Never been to a Kiss show, but I do enjoy their first few albums. Could be a fun theme for a pin. Kiss has always been about stunts and gimmicks that could play out well in a pin if the designer has the imagination to see it.
    I'll give it a chance and be very curious to see what they come up with.

There are 263 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 6.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-hasnt-been-relevant-in-over-3-decades and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.