• Latest reply 4 years ago by finnflash
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20170609_183115 (resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

When i hold the left flipper down to catch the ball, it fires 4 times very fast then goes dead until i let go of the button. It does this everytime i use that flipper and not sure what to check.
PLEASE HELP!!

#2 4 years ago

I'm guessing this will be a faulty node board if you have a KISS (Pro) If it's possible to swap the flipper buttons and see if the problem moves that might be worth trying. I can't tell from the manual what sort of configuration the buttons and boards have.

#3 4 years ago

Yes its a pro. I will try switching buttons.

#4 4 years ago

I'm not even sure which board is running the flippers.
Buttons did nothing.

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I'm not even sure which board is running the flippers.
Buttons did nothing.

I think it's Node board 8. If you have another dmd Spike game you can try switching Node boards and see what happens.

#6 4 years ago

I looked at my GB and the board is slightly different, can i still use that one or do i need the same one?

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

I looked at my GB and the board is slightly different, can i still use that one or do i need the same one?

Pretty sure it needs to be an exact match. Do u have any other dmd Spikes to compare?

#8 4 years ago

No, but i guess im going to use another board from the same game to check it.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Good luck!

#10 4 years ago

Is this the board that would run the flippers? It seemed like the wires were going into it.

20170609_183115 (resized).jpg

#11 4 years ago

Why aint Sten responding on this thread Westin my pants off, i derelicte them balls, why, why does not Stern respond on Pinside .? We should get amswers from all pinball manufacterd like jjp, Stern, HP, DP and so on....... Good luck on that all us semi efterblivna

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Is this the board that would run the flippers? It seemed like the wires were going into it.

Yes that is the correct board.

#13 4 years ago

Well i switched it with another board in the game and its still having the same issue. Now i dont know where to look?

#14 4 years ago

Have you checked your switch gap on the left flipper? Clean the contacts possibly? Try running a switch test.

#15 4 years ago

Yep. The flipper works correctly in coil test.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from finnflash:

Did you switch the Node 8 board with another board from the same game you're having the flipper issue with?

#18 4 years ago

Did you set the dip switches to their proper positions on the new board?

#19 4 years ago

Yes, i didnt realize that was there til i talked to someone at stern

#20 4 years ago

Do you have a schematic? The Stern manuals online don't have them anymore.

The point of swapping buttons was to eliminate the switch as a source of the problem. If you somehow swapped only the button and not the switch that activates the flipper then it could be your switch acting up. But since it works in test I think that's unlikely.

I still think it's a board problem. Without schematics I can't suggest where. I can't think of a component failure that would cause it to flip four times, then die.

#21 4 years ago

I have checked everything, the only thing left is swap the flipper button switches to see if thats it. This makes no sense

#22 4 years ago

Swapped flipper button switches, and still have the same issue with the left flipper. Maybe the coil, or the node board?

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Do you have a schematic? The Stern manuals online don't have them anymore.
The point of swapping buttons was to eliminate the switch as a source of the problem. If you somehow swapped only the button and not the switch that activates the flipper then it could be your switch acting up. But since it works in test I think that's unlikely.
I still think it's a board problem. Without schematics I can't suggest where. I can't think of a component failure that would cause it to flip four times, then die.

No schematics come with spike machines, one way of stern saving money and making money on the back end selling whole node boards.

Quoted from finnflash:

I have checked everything, the only thing left is swap the flipper button switches to see if thats it. This makes no sense

If the coil fires properly during a coil test and not during game when you be using the flipper buttons it's most likely a switch input problem on the node board, unfortunately youll likley be calling stern.

#24 4 years ago

I´m not a SPIKE expert, but I encountered this kind of behavior on several solid state pinball machines.
Normally the coil winding for flipper hold is not working correctly in these cases. Kiss Pro seems to have a dual wound coil (Power/Hold with three wires) for the flippers. The power coil winding fires the flipper up then the EOS-switch turns power transistor off. Since hold coil winding is not working the flipper won´t stay up and EOS will trigger power winding again. After some attempts the CPU ends this machine gun cycle to prevent damage. Maybe you should check with a multimeter if hold winding is powered correctly. If you´re lucky is only a bad solder connection on a coil lug.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from RichterMC:

I´m not a SPIKE expert, but I encountered this kind of behavior on several solid state pinball machines.
Normally the coil winding for flipper hold is not working correctly in these cases. Kiss Pro seems to have a dual wound coil (Power/Hold with three wires) for the flippers. The power coil winding fires the flipper up then the EOS-switch turns power transistor off. Since hold coil winding is not working the flipper won´t stay up and EOS will trigger power winding again. After some attempts the CPU ends this machine gun cycle to prevent damage. Maybe you should check with a multimeter if hold winding is powered correctly. If you´re lucky is only a bad solder connection on a coil lug.

This sounds like you might have nailed this for me. So are you saying to just resolder the wires going to the coil? I hope this works, thanks for the tip.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from RichterMC:

check with a multimeter if hold winding is powered correctly. If you´re lucky is only a bad solder connection on a coil lug.

Quoted from finnflash:

are you saying to just resolder the wires going to the coil?

He's saying check the resistance on both the hold winding and the high power winding. It should be close to the one you're not having a problem with. If you're lucky, the resistance is good but one of the solder joints is cracked.

Good luck.

#27 4 years ago

First I would check hold winding in solenoid test to verify my assumption with a failing hold circuit.
Hold winding for left flipper should be solenoid 20 in test. Keep in mind that the hold winding will not fire the flipper up,
you may see the bat barely move. You should at least hear when it´s activating.
Compare it with the working right flipper which is solenoid 21 in test menu.

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from RichterMC:

Sonofa, i didnt realize they went back to three lug coils. But there it is in the picture! Figured it was two lug and mosfet driven.

#29 4 years ago

Changed the flipper coil out (thanks Brian B) and all is right in the Kiss universe! Has anyone noticed that Stern's flipper coil is $50?? Why?
Thanks everyone that helped out!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 84.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 74.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 349.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 6.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
$ 6.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!