image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).jpeg
#1 8 years ago

Bought Kiss pro brand new in box and coinbox decal was all bubbles. Stern was great and sent me a new one. Two months later and the side decals are failing and Stern was only willing to send me side armor plates to cover the bad decals and not replacements. I went to install the covers and when I lowered the back box to install them the decals are failing there too. Sent pictures and awaiting a response from Stern. Very frustrated with customer support at this time. The waves in the decals are growing as time goes by and Stern offered to cover the spots with the plates only. Curious to the responce from them with my latest bubbles. Very frustrating to spend $5000 and be dealt with issues.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#2 8 years ago

Total botch job on a lot of these.

#3 8 years ago

Where are you located? I was under the impression this was only an issue in some particular export batches?

#5 8 years ago

I am in eastern part of United States. Stern told me they had a issue with glue thickness on a run of decals. i believe the person whom installed them did a bad job. I had to argue with stern about them and as I posted they were not willing to send me decals only plates to cover flipper button areas. I had no idea that Sterns warranty is so bad. Read your manual and they cover boards for 2 months, dmd for 9 and nothing else is covered as its expressly written. That really suprised me.

#6 8 years ago

My Distro got a replacement decal for the coin door panel. I'm now going to chase him on the lollipop armour.

#7 8 years ago

My machine has a production of Aug 1 2015. The coinbox picture is hard to take photo. But the whole decal was bad right out of the box.

#8 8 years ago

Wow, they are awful.

Another reason I hate stupid decals /stickers and would love screen printed cabs again.

I had to stick down one of my TWD decals - beyond rubbish.

A shame as the games are fantastic to play but wrinkled decals or peeling off is poor.

#9 8 years ago

That's unreal. After spending 5k I would be so pissed.

#10 8 years ago

Not failing, piss poorly installed. Seems someone new was on the line for some of the KISS run.

#11 8 years ago

It's like paint falling off your brand new car. No excuse.

#12 8 years ago

Try bitching at your distributor instead of stern...they can usually get what you need

#13 8 years ago

Show your seller this.

#14 8 years ago

how long have you had your machine?

#15 8 years ago

Mine is doing the same thing. Thought there would be no way to get lollipop side armor.. Guess I have to get with my distributor.

#16 8 years ago
Quoted from Duff:

Mine is doing the same thing. Thought there would be no way to get lollipop side armor.. Guess I have to get with my distributor.

I think those are just add ons, not connected to the actual side rail.... Edit-----Ah, maybe those are the full lollipops, I saw the lockdown bar ridge and thought that was a ridge from the sidereal....

Yeah, thats a bummer.....Id try to heat them up with a heat gun gently and smooth down with a credit card or whatever and see how that pans out.

#17 8 years ago

If I had a KISS Id splurge on these and not worry much about the flipper button area.

http://www.pinballmetal.com/products/7509278-2/

Kiss_Right_Detail_(resized).jpgKiss_Right_Detail_(resized).jpg

#18 8 years ago

Mustang premium stock had these. I wish all Stern premiums had these. Another cost cut....

image-4_(resized).jpgimage-4_(resized).jpg

2 weeks later
#19 8 years ago

It seems fixable. Here's what I'd do in your shoes:

1. Remove flipper buttons
2. Heat the decal with a hairdryer
3. Rub toward the hole, using a microfiber cloth
4. Put flipper buttons back in.

Or use the lollipop rails. Not the end of the world.

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Or use the lollipop rails. Not the end of the world.

Agreed.. these are not falling off from gravity, they were just installed wrong. Don't over tighten when installing flipper buttons/bolts and you should be GTG

#21 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

If I had a KISS Id splurge on these and not worry much about the flipper button area.
Kiss_Right_Detail_(resized).jpg

That's badass!! First I've seen those

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

I tried this and it won't help

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I tried this and it won't help

What happened? It sucks that this is happening to multiple people.

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from centerflank:

Kiss_Right_Detail_(resized).jpg

I have a set of the Axe armor I never used. Brand new and uninstalled if someone wants to buy it, PM me

#25 8 years ago

that sucks.

#26 8 years ago

This makes me kinda scared about ordering a NIB Ghostbusters......

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Yea you should back out.

#28 8 years ago
Quoted from playernumber4:

Don't do it.

Even if 1 in 100 games develop a bubble or wrinkle in the decal, that is way too much damage !!!!!

Wait a few years and buy a used one who's decals have proven themselves.

#29 8 years ago

The wrinkels came back after 30 minutes...

#30 8 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

The wrinkels came back after 30 minutes...

Let's see some pics so we can see what you are dealing with.

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Let's see some pics so we can see what you are dealing with.

these are the before pictures: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/unhappy-with-my-kiss-decals
I don't have "after" pictures and I don't have my kiss anymore. my distributor gave me a new one, and I sold it a few months ago to get a GOT...

#32 8 years ago

Kiss decals are so awesome their promo video even has them in perfect condition

kissdecals_(resized).jpgkissdecals_(resized).jpg

#33 8 years ago

@gary
COME ON STERN serious??? WTF is this the way you want to run bussiness?...

bring your shit up to quality and help this people!!!
if not i will never buy from you
and will tell others not to do so
i would be realy pissed if this happened

#34 8 years ago

Sterns decals are bad and they refused to fix my machine and only send me side rail armor plates to cover it up. Last new in box stern I will ever purchase. Complained to Stern and my distributor made no difference. Take armor or nothing at all was my option. Posted a complaint about sterns warranty and it was sad how many remarks were against my experience. I drained it.

#35 8 years ago

Those decals don't look too bad. Seems fixable with a credit card and needle. Score on the free armor. You should be thrilled.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from jorro:

@gary
COME ON STERN serious??? WTF is this the way you want to run bussiness?...
bring your shit up to quality and help this people!!!
if not i will never buy from you
and will tell others not to do so
i would be realy pissed if this happened

Decal flaws are unfortunate, I know I wouldn't be happy but hit up your distributor for decal replacements or the lollipop rails like markmon mentioned.

Breathe deep and man up, your game still is probably playing very well which is much more important than some cab decal issues.

#37 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinballbuyer:

Sterns decals are bad and they refused to fix my machine and only send me side rail armor plates to cover it up. Last new in box stern I will ever purchase. Complained to Stern and my distributor made no difference. Take armor or nothing at all was my option. Posted a complaint about sterns warranty and it was sad how many remarks were against my experience. I drained it.

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

Although they sent you a new coin box decal upon your opening, correct? Then time passed and you had the wrinkle issues, worst offending spots are covered by the hinges when the back box is vertical and the flipper button wrinkling, covered by the free lollipop rails they gave you.

You got shafted a bit on the poor decals, no doubt, but they did some things for you right? If you feel you want a new machine, who was your distributor and what did they say?

You've mentioned this a few times now in various threads.

Who is your distributor?????

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Those decals don't look too bad. Seems fixable with a credit card and needle. Score on the free armor. You should be thrilled.

it's not fixable...it tried it...

#39 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

These are luxury items and issues such as decals wrinkling should not be a concern / issue when buying a game. The occasional playfield screw up and Stern replaces it with a populated playfield, ok. Decals though? Did Stern change to a cheaper adhesive or thinner decal material that saves them $.10 a game?

Prices of NIB games have doubled over the past 10 years, far outpacing the rate of inflation. For the price of today's NIB games these types of issues should not be occurring. Ridiculous.

#40 8 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Mustang premium stock had these. I wish all Stern premiums had these. Another cost cut....

image-4_(resized).jpg

Yup, should be on every game by default, including the pro's. That extra piece of metal probably cost Stern a few bucks per game.

#41 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Did Stern change to a cheaper adhesive or thinner decal material that saves them $.10 a game?

I'm sure they tried to. There were many decal issues the last couple years that I think they addressed. Took delivery of my KISS Pre in September 2015. There was added adhesive around all the decals edges. It's still sticky 7 mths later.

#42 8 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

These are luxury items and issues such as decals wrinkling should not be a concern / issue when buying a game.

I didn't say that though. I said it seems fixable and the lollipop rails for free is a great solution.

#43 8 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

I didn't say that though. I said it seems fixable and the lollipop rails for free is a great solution.

Im guessing if you bought a brand new luxury car that had a scratch down the side and the manufacturer covered it with a sticker, that this would be a great solution.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Toads:

Im guessing if you bought a brand new luxury car that had a scratch down the side and the manufacturer covered it with a sticker, that this would be a great solution.

What does pinball have to do with a car?

If the sticker you're referring to is a commonly sought after mod that everyone prefers, then it probably would be a great solution. Lollipop side rails is nothing like a sticker though.

#45 8 years ago

I recently noticed my KISS decals are wrinkling around the flipper buttons as well. Bummer.

Not all "luxury" items come with the same fit-and-finish. If Stern's fit-and-finish doesn't thrill you, there are plenty of other options. I agree it sucks that the quality seems to go down with every release, however Stern isn't changing. All you can do is change the way you deal with it. Markmon already gave you a potential solution and it's cool Stern threw you some side rails for your pain and suffering

#46 8 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I recently noticed my KISS decals are wrinkling around the flipper buttons as well. Bummer.

Take the button off, warm decal with hair dryer and smooth back down, reinstall button (do not over-tighten).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-decals-failing?hl=mnpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.