update_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
Screen_Shot_2016-01-04_at_9.59.18_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-01-03_at_2.37.47_PM_(resized).png
gENE_(resized).JPG
Screen_Shot_2016-01-01_at_9.47.55_PM_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hank527.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 8 years ago

Title says it all. I have not turned on my Kiss in about 6 weeks. I like the shot layout and got bored to death of the code.

Can someone chime in and tell me why Kiss has good code. My opinion is the code is flat and uninspired.

It's to a point that I will not be buying games Lonnie codes, unless Dwight or Lyman are part of the team.

I'm asking some of you to convince me I'm wrong on this.

#4 8 years ago
Quoted from ejg10532626:

How deep into the game are you getting?
Code needs help, no argument, but there is still a lot to do.
For now..
Scoop--early--often.
Get your early, dull mysteries out of the way, like super ramp, super spinner, 2,000,000, super Gene Simmons list of chick conquests -- and the mysteries improve vastly. Fast scoring, Duece hurryup, Double Scoring (get this with Kiss Army multiball--and much changes).
Try to close out all 8 songs, as is. Very Hard--plenty challenging.
Go for the complete bonus board.
I believe the 2x bonus comes up automatically with your next mystery once you do this, but I'm not positive.
This is also plenty hard to accomplish, especially the instruments.

Scoop feels like chopping wood. Same old, Same Old. Modes all feel all the same.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from musketd:

It definitely is not as good as got or twd code and has had no significant changes since release which is ashame with some solid updates it could be a great game, but game definitely feels like chopping wood and the multiballs are very blah

I'm thinking the update is not going to change much. Is it stale or can it be saved?

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

If Lyman, Dwight, or Mr Ritchie aren't apart of the code; I wouldn't expect more than a dozen lines of changes in the upcoming update. I lived this headache when I decided to buy TFLE, Avengers & STLE instead of TRON, ACDC, & MET. Luckily, Dwight Sullivan was brought on board to work with Steve Ritchie and save STLE.
But my first real big pin purchase was TFLE, it was goin to be sterns most expensive pin to date. I thought for sure they'd support it with a passion considering $ amount, plus the theme was a top notch winner. What happened? I sat there playing my TFLE with practically the same code it had since release and just sat there watching update after update after update after update roll in with acdc. Lines and lines of code and changes for acdc. Then, TFLE update comes in and it's like 8 lines of code adding super pops and super spinner but nothing addressing any of the issues we owners wanted. We raised hell; meanwhile acdc got more updates. Then we were finally promised a XMAS POWERPACK! Woo hoo! ....and then 3 mos AFTER Xmas they finally dropped an update with 4 or 5 lines of code. Too little too late.
Then theres Avengers; and the hulk! It would be their most expensive LE released to that date. For certain they would not let another TFLE disaster happen, and this is gomez's final pin, for sure he'd want to go out on a bang and support this pin, right? Nope again. How's that Thor flasher bug going stern? Lol
Bottom line; learn the team that is developing a pin you want. And after that research is done, it's still best to wait until you see the code is at a satisfactory point for your desire. And If it's a pin you must have early, then research and find if it'll have the team that did TFLE, xmen, Avengers, ST (before Dwight), KISS; if so, you may want to wait. Also, it's always always best to wait even if it is Lyman - if a pin is good, and coded good, it'll sell. And sales = production. TWD is a prime example; it was a turd out of the gates but Lyman was on it so people didn't worry - then Lyman got yanked and the game was abandoned. Then, Lyman literally locked himself in his basement for months so that sterns injustice to our community could be reconciled, and today - TWD is amazing, sought after, and going back into production because of LYMAN!

This is so true. If Lonnie works with Lyman, the games are great. Lyman alone and games are great. Lonnie without Lyman or Dwight = not very good.

Mustang is the only exception to the above formula.

#23 8 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

It will be interesting to see if Lonnie finishes KISS. What has he 'finished' in the past 2 (or more) years? Anything?
Rob

Mustang, though he had a full team with Jack and Tanio.

Avengers got 2 updates and it was done, same as transformers. WWE got zero major updates. Star Trek was okay and Dwight saved it. Transformers was a great layout, with fair code.

Kiss right now is very okay. I doubt the next update is going to change things much.

#32 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I just keep working those hurry ups. All this time that we're waiting for the awesome code is time you should be getting better at playing the layout and basic stuff. There are monster points available if you get the modes right and nail the KISS hurry up properly. Really quite a lot to do even without a great song jackpot or CIU type of mode setup. And I still VERY rarely get four instruments, so there is plenty of room to simply get better at it. And all the while you get to do your pinball homework on such a great looking and sounding package!
If LOTR didn't have TABA or Valinor, there would still be a lot of time necessary to invest in the basic stuff and getting DTR before you even see the really great stuff. On the games with the killer code, I doubt most players in most games are seeing a lot of it anyway.

I think this is the frustration. Borg designed a good game layout wise. I'm playing a lot of IM, TWD and TFTC lately. The thing with KISS is nothing brings me back to want to play it.

On IM my goal is DO or DIE, or Jercho.

On TWD is almost everything as the game has a ton to do.

On TFTC, I installed a pinsound board and Rom version 4, so I'm enjoying something new.

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

The drops are too close to the top of the L sling to make them worthwhile intentional shots. The shot through the bumpers is tight and satisfying. The scoop should have been a subway and is a BITCH to stick when a Cliffy is installed. The middle ramp is like the R TRS ramp: throw a hotdog down a hallway. The Gene head is badly painted, badly engineered and isn't the slightest bit satisfying. The R lock target is so close to the R ramp that it seems only a matter of time before the side of that ramp gets scuffed/cracked. The R ramp is a nice, tight shot. LG multi on the LE/Prem should have had a longer travel path; the coolness factor evaporated almost completely when the PF was fully populated. Paul Stanley should have been more like the Elvis figure--his movement is limited and laughable. The R loop is easy, but somewhat satisfying if shot comes fast on the fly.
The callouts are ABOMINABLE and CHEESY. The music is okay, but who the hell put "Deuce" in there and what the fk does it mean in that context? "You know your man is workin' hard--he's worth a deuce." Both main multiballs are nearly devoid of interesting rules--THAT can be improved upon.
As goes the poster above who scoffed at my comparison to IJ4--it's kind of funny that he knew precisely what on IJ4 to compare to on Kiss. The boring wide center ramp addition is the main difference. YMMV. I hope everybody who has one enjoys it. But if you haven't bought one yet, don't bother. It will probably be tough to sell.

Nice review. I've seen KISS several times. I like the theme, I hate the code. I want to want to keep it. Maybe I should just part with it. Just hoping code will make it better. This is what makes it so difficult.

In the future, I'll wait on Lonnie games, if I buy them at all.

#48 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Lol if you think it compares to IJ4 you should just let it go. IMO it plays or is built nothing like IJ4 or any of the other games mentioned above. You can rank on the code right now I'd agree. However, the layout art and lights are awesome and the potential to be great is there.

You not liking the pin is fine. But to tell others to assume they won't like it either is presumptuous. We all like different things sounds like your saying definitively that all that get it will not like it. That simply is not true.

I did not link kiss to ij4.

Quoted from Trekkie1978:

The real question is, why is Lonnie so bad at code? What does he do all day at work?

He is in charge of the coding department. No idea what he does or why his games pale in comparison to Lyman. Seems he does just enough and its done.

#57 8 years ago
Quoted from pinlawyer:

Lonnie isn't lazy; he's formulaic. "Fast scoring." That's on every Ropp game since IM. His multiball rules are almost always the same. Modes, too. He's simply predictable. Lyman, Keith and Dwight are the only rule designers I trust to make a pin.

He recycles the same old, over and over. Mustang is different. Everything else is the same, super ramps (wow), fast scoring, super pops and hurry ups.

#59 8 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

Frozen dmd is not a code thing, you either have a bad upload of code from usb drive, messed up sd card or hardware issue. I have played extensively with current and previous code with no issues. Check the above mentioned trouble shooting tips to resolve your KISSUE.

Not all the code transferred to the SD card is my guess

#69 8 years ago

Well a little birdie told me that a huge KISS update is coming before Xmas. Fingers crossed this update makes me eat crow.

#101 8 years ago

How did you change it?

1 week later
#135 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

QC exists on a scale. Of course there is QC at Stern. Just not make-100%-sure-every-Gene-head-shoots-right type QC.

Or several other things, decals anyone?

Have not turned kiss on since this thread was started. Waiting for code.............

#148 8 years ago

Waiting........

Hoping Stern put code out by Wednesday.

#153 8 years ago

Waiting.....Hoping.........Waiting.

#169 8 years ago

Will Stern deliver the update today?

If yes I buy another Lonnie game, if no, I'm done with Lonnie.

#176 8 years ago
Quoted from Iceman5000:

It's being tested as we speak.

They alluded to Xmas updates.

#182 8 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

I thought I had updates for Christmas (kiss, wwe, avenger,,,).
Stern said "stay connected" on facebook
Result: nothing

Hoping it's today...

Merry Xmas everyone

#185 8 years ago

I would think it would be out if they were releasing today...

#187 8 years ago

Wow!!!

WWLE code is showing tilt. Hoping they are updating now

#188 8 years ago

Officially, too drunk to care anymore......

Lonnie is not worth a deuce!!!!

#190 8 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

we got scrooged!!

It's coming, but will it be epic or just polish of what's there.

#194 8 years ago
Quoted from Iceman5000:

It is a large update, a lot more than polish.

So people have it?

#197 8 years ago
Quoted from DCfoodfreak:

I hope if it came down to the wire they walked away and chose to spend this time with their families . Come back after the holiday and bang it out !

Finish the job!!!

Take care of your customers and they will take care of you.

#200 8 years ago

Does it need a skill shot?

#205 8 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I believe someone was told by Ritchie on Facebook that it's coming soon. Dwight will take care of everyone, not worried about that.

Yes. We trust Dwight and Lyman.

I can't figure Waison out as his games have been horrid. Lonnie games never seem to be great. They get stuck at "what if"

If Lyman coded Transformers it would be a top 5.

#207 8 years ago

Any chance on code today? My guess is Thursday before new year.

#213 8 years ago
Quoted from Metalthrashinmad:

I have had this game since the day it Arrived in Australia. The only code update since I got it is for the topper control. The topper is still not in the country. Game is featureless and boring. Has not been switched on in over a month. Got played a bit when I got it and in around 50 games the playfield was filthy from the rubber on the spinner. Genes head eject is too random, SDTM out of the box, adjusted the angle a bit, was perfect for a while then SDTM again. Very frustrating and very disappointing for a HU game. Way too long on a developed code, this game has a BETA code at best, just testing the shots. I do remember how disappointed I was when I got Metallica out of the box also, and it has grown into what is one of my favorites. Hope Kiss will be similar. There are lights on the playfield that are still not used and I can't find any significance to selecting the city at the start. Stern Surprise me, I will be doing a minor strip of the playfield over the Christmas break to clean it so it looks like a new game when a decent code is released. If next code is as boring as this one, I will have an LE for sale.

Hoping the code drops now.

#216 8 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

If you haven't already change out the black rubber and put a decal over the spinner disc. I have about 350 games on mine and the playfield still looks new.

Mine was covered in Mylar by the factory as they had a ton of of issues.

#218 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Wait a week or two. If there isn't a "holy shit!" Code drop by mid January, I think you'll start seeing a bunch of lightly used KISS pins on the market.

I think we are getting a new years update.

#224 8 years ago
Quoted from bdaley6509:

This year, or next?

TBD

#227 8 years ago

I guess next year then...... Hoping they release it tomorrow.

#230 8 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Are you going to come here everyday and post your hope?

Probably until it drops or I sell the game. I like Kiss and currently hate the pin.

#236 8 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

Keep coming and posting Hank - Since you can't post on Sterns Facebook without getting banned this is about the only voice owners have. Hell its your post - hope away........ heres hoping it's a game changer!

It's been two months since I turned Kiss on. Just wanting to play the game again... right now I play got and twd. I would like to want to play Kiss.

#244 8 years ago

In the initial 4 months of MET, stern released FIVE Code updates that included meaningful feature/playable enhancements. KISS, at best, has had TWO.
Nobody is bitching that code is incomplete...Buy within 12 months of release and you expect that.
People are bitching about the time between (sorely needed) code releases for KISS.
Sell incomplete products, expect bitchy customers....Blaming the customer is simply a diversion.

Here, here! There have been zero significant updates to kiss in 6 months. This certainly warrants complaints.

Will we get code today?

#250 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I agree. I do think we are well overdue for an update. Come on guys throw your buyers a bone to show you care about us... Plenty of us bought KISS many indicated it sold well not sure why other pins are getting regular updates while we kinda twist in the wind...

I heard people were beta testing last week. Kiss has me wanting to be done with Stern. Instead of being done, I have promised myself to stay far away from Lonnie games. No code today means zero future NIB Lonnie games. History has proven Lonnie games do not get completely finished. It's no longer worth my frustration.

Off to play AMH.

#258 8 years ago

<edited> pathetic to have to choose pins based on who is coding but alas, that's where stern has led us.
They should be embarrassed.
I know I am.

It's true though. Lonnie and Waison have all but failed on code.

Dwight is showing he is great and fairly fast.

Lyman is the man, but slow.

Maybe Lyman can save kiss after he tries to save WWE.

#260 8 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

KISS right now is better than Metallica was at the same time. I feel you guys dumping your machines here as I tried to sell my Met at the same point in the cycle. Obviously glad I didn't. Code will come. Play some other games in the meantime. Don't give in to anger. It will be ok.

It's been 8 months since release. Metallica was further along and we were voting on two extra songs.

#262 8 years ago

To put an end to the code argument. Let's look at facts

Metallica
Code updates
June 6, 2013
June 10
June 28
July 31
August 13

March 6
March 17
June 5
September 2

April 23

That's 5 updates in 3 months after initial release. 10 total updates

Let's compare this with Lonnie games

Avengers
Nov 30
Dec 4
Dec 12
Feb

That's 5 total updates with actual code In 3 months

Now Kiss
July
August

Two updates that had actual code added or changed.

Transformers had 5 game rules updates

The Walking Dead 11 significant updates
AC/DC 8 significant updates

Oh and GOT has had over 10 updates in three months

#268 8 years ago

HA HA! Whoever manages Gene Simmons page on Facebook seems to be aware of the code issue. Betcha if every inside member sent Gene a message about it, he would give Gary a call. Gene is all about the profit and if his fans are not happy his wallet gets lighter.

Wow, do you have the link?

#274 8 years ago

Just cut and paste what I wrote or Barakawins1 wrote, or even write up something yourself guys, see link below to his page
https://www.facebook.com/officialgenesimmons/?fref=ts
"Hey Gene could you please give the guys at STERN a call about your new pinball machine. KISS fans are getting very upset that they have not released the new game code for the pinball yet. It has been over 8 months and people are starting to dump the new KISS machine because Stern looks like they have abandoned it."

Screen_Shot_2016-01-01_at_9.47.55_PM_(resized).png

Awesome.

#284 8 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I think we've gotten away from the OP's original point... What's good in the current code?
To me, it's not an unplayable mess (i.e. XM's original code issues). Kiss right now is more akin to an early SS game where the goal is multipliers, jackpots, extra ball, etc. No real cohesion, which IMO is the biggest thing missing. There's nothing to tie the game together.
I'd like to see the cities incorporated, I'd like to see more fleshed out modes, I'd like another attainable multiball or two, and the list goes on.
The code right now is mediocre, which is okay for an early game, but I think we're long overdue for a quality update.

Someone convince me it's good. It's like a system 11 say pool sharks. It just gets boring quickly as we expect more

#287 8 years ago

PM me as well. It would give me a reason to turn the game on.

#293 8 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Kiss has so much potential and I love the layout, music, art...mine isn't going anywhere. I'm used to slow code updates, I've been buying sterns for a while now!! Seems like every time I give up on a game, Stern ends up making it better and i regret selling it. Not doing it with this one!
Go ahead and fire sell your machine, there's a good chance you'll regret it once the code gets updated.
And for those looking to buy and can get it for a good price, go for it!!

Here lies the issue. Lonnie games have all been coded ASAP in the past and done.

I fully expect the next KISS update will be the last.

#298 8 years ago

Just sayin
Screen_Shot_2016-01-03_at_2.37.47_PM_(resized).png

That's funny

#304 8 years ago
Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

Buy a Spiderman VE and get a free KISS code update. Could be a new marketing idea.

This wait is pathetic.

#307 8 years ago

I may be confusing you with someone else but haven't you been saying a big update is coming soon? Was that based on 'inside info' or just your 'hope'?

Based on info from others.

#311 8 years ago
Quoted from Jodester:

Agreed. The art package alone is just awesome.
As with Met, good things come to those who wait.

Lonnie games do not have the same track record as Lyman.

#327 8 years ago

Another week and no code. Really sad

Just heard next game is DMD as well. WTF?

#329 8 years ago

Where'd you hear that? Same place you heard a 'big update' was coming before Christmas?

Stern said about the update before Christmas in a podcast. I believe Jody said that one and its public.

No I heard it from a reliable source. Said Lyman gets the first LCD game.

#336 8 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

it would be good to have a deadline (not the day but for example the month "example:.. January: update avenger, February kiss,,,)

Or even within the next two months

#337 8 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

Exactly.
I thought I had a wwe update for Christmas, for New Year after the IFPA contest and nothing.
Stay connected, soon, blah blah blah.
It is shameful.
Kiss, wwe,,,, avengers.
I will sell wwe.
I think it's over for him.
WWE is worse than others. No rules, bugs,,,,

Lyman is trying to fix WWE. I'd hold it for a bit.

#339 8 years ago
Quoted from sebseb12:

official source?
A release date for wwe?

Source came from Stern. They said an update was coming. Others heard Lyman was on the code.

Other rumors are Avengers code soon and GOT update soon. No mention of Kiss from this source just WWE, Avengers and GOT.

I hope someone is hearing something about KISS.

#344 8 years ago

I ditched BD for Psycho Circus. HTH for Heavens On Fire. Dr. Love is now War Machine. I'm considering adding Strutter for Deuce. Gotta love pinball browser!

Strutter needs to be in the game!

I was hoping they would add two new songs ala Metallica.

#346 8 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Will doing that void the warranty? Can it be put back to factory?

Shouldn't void anything. Very easy to set it back.

#359 8 years ago

Game OF Thrones got another code update, but there are complaints about it already. I guess Stern is trying to figure out a code fix for the saucer eject issue but can not figure out a fix using code. I wonder what a poll would like if it were to ask if Kiss owners feel like their pin was abandoned?

It was out. Think they pulled it.

#367 8 years ago
Quoted from Foo:

No time frame given, but Stern's FB page said tonight that Kiss code is coming... Fingers crossed.

update_(resized).jpg

Finally

#383 8 years ago

Avengers just got updated. Hope Kiss is next!

#392 8 years ago

Using a probability calculator, prediction is another 3 weeks.

#395 8 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

Going by the Avengers update, it'd be more like 2.5 years away.
Hope it's soon ... I'd like to add a KISS to my line up.
rd

Nah, Lonnie isn't up for a bit

Dwight on GB
Lyman on WWE then Aerosmith

#399 8 years ago

When I saw the DMD animations for GOT I was really impressed. KISS' animations are pretty amateurish if you compare the two.

Yep.

#405 8 years ago
Quoted from Duff:

Especially when Steven Tyler is focused on Nashville. I'm with ya and really like Aerosmith. Iron Maiden should be next.

Plus 100 for Maiden. Aerosmith is not very relevant.

1 week later
#415 8 years ago

Where is the kiss code? Any Rumors?

#419 8 years ago
Quoted from Shastings:

Just played a Kiss Premium on location after a bit of a break from it. I find it such a deeply unsatisfying game. Whether I had a 10m or 100m game, I walked away feeling totally bored. Next to it is The Walking Dead, where I will either want to put my fist through the machine or high-five the bar staff after a game. There is a sense of mission with that game, and many ways to approach it with risk/reward balances to consider. With Kiss, it's hit the flashing arrow and have Gene Simmons yell at you, while all the time the awful music drones away in the background.
I'm not sure improved code can rescue Kiss, but we will see.

It can be great.

3 weeks later
#420 8 years ago

Hearing March 9 for miss code. Ghostbusters reveal on the 10th

2 weeks later
#438 8 years ago

Rumor is they started coding 8 weeks ago. It's apparent, kiss code has not been a priority

#445 8 years ago

I got info from a reliable source. Same source said LCD and Aerosmith is next. Then vault Batman (adam west)

I think kiss has been an incomplete nightmare that sold well. It is the last Lonnie game I will ever buy.

#449 8 years ago
Quoted from BeaglePuss:

If it's the same source that told you that a major update was coming before Christmas, and again on March 9th, you need to find yourself a new source.
Vid has mentioned that the code is being tested by a number of players and is on its way to being released. He can't say too much due to an NDA (or at least that's how it sounds). He also alluded to some new tunes. The code is supposed to be less of an update and more of an overhaul.
That's a reliable source IMO. No hard dates, just that it's coming. There's nothing to do but be patient at this point.

I hope your right. Next game is aerosmith.

#496 8 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

METLE sold out crazy fast and it's code sucked for what seemed like forever. ST also sold well and it's code took forever to get done. TWD sucked for 9 months before it started to come to life. Seeing a trend?

Trend = Lonnie games take forever and are fair. Lyman games take forever and are great.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.95
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Brighton, CO
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider hank527.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-code-someone-convince-me-its-good?tu=hank527 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.