Topic Stats

• 551 posts
  • 133 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Pizza-Bob
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 34 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image_(resized).jpg
z06_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpeg
image_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-03-05_at_8.51.41_AM_(resized).png
IMG_3177_(resized).JPG
image_(resized).jpg
49622656_(resized).jpg
update_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpeg
Screen_Shot_2016-01-04_at_9.59.18_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-01-03_at_2.37.47_PM_(resized).png
gENE_(resized).JPG
Screen_Shot_2016-01-01_at_9.47.55_PM_(resized).png
image_(resized).jpg
image_(resized).jpg

There are 551 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.
#101 4 years ago

How did you change it?

#102 4 years ago

pinball browser

#103 4 years ago

IMG_2781 2.JPGIMG_2782.JPGIMG_2783.JPG
I love tweaking stuff - Im working on the DMD animations now - changing the game to KISS & FRIENDS

#104 4 years ago

I think I may just have to mess around with the browser a bit since I'm not a huge KISS fan. Is it more difficult on Spike or the same?

#105 4 years ago

Me either - it's surprisingly easy - about a 2 minute learning curve - songs and text are simple to swap out.....compiling the new code takes 10 or 15min, then just load the new image on your flash drive & update the pin.... I know there's a good thread about it here somewhere... will look

#106 4 years ago
Quoted from T-800:

People keep bitching about the code on this game, but I don't see the major road blocks. When I look at other games that have become favorites like IM and compare the games, KISS is on par or better - at least it actually has modes and depth to the multiballs. It's all about if the game is fun. If you find it fun, then great, if not move on, you're probably not going to have your opinion changed by a bunch of keyboard commando's anyway.
In any case, I'd like to shed a positive light on the state of the game :
1. There are a lot of modes to be able to play through which is an essential part of the game. Each mode is very different, if you don't see that then maybe you aren't paying attention. I pick and choose which mode I want based on where I'm at in the game. For instance on ball start I usually pick Deuce because it's worth a lot, the mode has one or two specific shots at a time and it's not as advantageous to stack with multiball. Also as you start completing shots the mode gets harder and harder with the shots moving and getting more difficult - this is fun and satisfying when you finally time your shot to hit a moving target. I love it. Compare that with Detroit Rock City where everything is lit, you'd stack this with multiball, etc. In regards to the other modes - Black Diamond is awesome in how hard it is, Hotter than Hell and the others with specific shots you have to make in order to light other ones, etc. there is plenty of evidence to show the modes are very different from each other - I'd take a closer look the next time you play.
2. Multiballs - each multiball has it's own set of unique jackpot rules and method to get to the super jackpot. each one is different and challenging in it's own aspect - learning what to do and then actually making the shots that matter is part of the fun.
3. The instruments - I friggin love this mini game. Do I shoot for the difficult right ramp to build up towards my extra ball or not??? I love that they made a challenging shot on the game build towards an extra ball, it's a great balance of risk and reward.
4. Kiss Hurry-Up - this is the one hurry up I never, ever, ever go for. It's just too damn hard. maybe if I owned the game I'd try to get better at it.
5. Army Hurry-Up - love this hurry-up, easy to light, and you have the option to get with either flipper. Always available - during modes or multiballs and there's a great audio bit to tell you it's lit without having to look for it when in a frenzy. plus as you keep redeeming them they build in value nicely.
6. Scoop - why keep chopping wood at the scoop? I hit this shot when it's lit and convenient. no reason to make it a priority. In fact, most times it's better not to make it a priority - save it for multiball and cash in on it when you are draining your second to last ball for add-a-ball.
7. Love-Gun multiball - ok, getting there is kind of lame, and a little arbitrary. the little pop section with targets doesn't do a lot for me. however I do find the shot to get it in there challenging and it feels good when you do make that shot. I also like how it's one more area you can send a ball in multiball to try and keep it out of the way while you try to capitalize with the rest of the balls.
8. Wizard modes - ok, so it seems they really only have 1. big deal. most games only have 1 anyway. 99% of players cant even get to kiss army anyway.
I guess my rambling point is to whomever is reading this, if you want a truly deep game then don't think about Kiss. Get a TWD (with it's half dozen multiballs, numerous wizard modes), LOTR, etc. If you want a game with a really fun, fast layout and you like the KISS theme, then buy a KISS. As a side note, I really like KISS music, I just absolutely can't stand anything else about them. Personally I think the game is an eye-sore. Glad they attempted hand drawn art for a pin, but just think they missed the mark big time. If it was a different theme like Iron Maiden that fit in line with my tastes, I'd buy an LE in a heart-beat even if the rules never got any deeper. I just think it's a fun game to play. I'd love to re-theme one some day.

Yes the code is "ok" but should it be a little better than ok. .And given Ropp is spear heading the coding team I don't see it getting much better than "ok"

#107 4 years ago
Quoted from mountaingamer:

I love tweaking stuff - Im working on the DMD animations now - changing the game to KISS & FRIENDS

Funny you should mention that.
Take a look at our AC/DC backglass from our last tournament. lol
IMG_0757.jpg

#108 4 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Ropp is spear heading the coding team I don't see it getting much better than "ok"

I really hope he proves you wrong! Him & Waison came through on XM in the end & I'm hoping they can on this one as well.

#109 4 years ago

Black Diamond REALLY needs to be dropped. Replace with Do You Love Me. Def replace Dr Love with God of Thunder..

#110 4 years ago

Just in case if some people haven't seen this tutorial yet, I'll repost here.
The video was reprocessed so there is no more "seizure" effect happening with the video. YouTube kept trying to "enhance" the video.
*A big part of this game that no one really has talked about is the aspect of really trying to double the value of your shots.

#111 4 years ago

The video might have been good if the KISS machines sound was turned down, so you could hear the instructions better. I tried to watch it, but could not because of the overpowering sound from the machine.

#112 4 years ago

I sold my Kiss today.
The software is horrible !!!

#113 4 years ago

I'm keeping mine, software is fine

#114 4 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

I sold my Kiss today.
The software is horrible !!!

I tried to sell my MetLE in the depths of its code crisis, and couldn't. Lucky. I'm trying to remember back and decide whether Met was better or worse with its crappy code than KISS is now. I think the Kiss layout might have it as slightly better. I'm hanging on for the code drop.

#115 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I tried to sell my MetLE in the depths of its code crisis, and couldn't. Lucky. I'm trying to remember back and decide whether Met was better or worse with its crappy code than KISS is now. I think the Kiss layout might have it as slightly better. I'm hanging on for the code drop.

I've been playing it more lately and the layout & lighting are just awesome. Code is coming together it's not as bad as some are making it out to be. Sure it needs work but they are working on it. Hope the next big update comes out before Christmas and takes the pin over the top. Please hit this one out of the park for us pinball addicts software team!

#116 4 years ago

What difference does the code make with the STDM Gene head shot?? Worse thing Ive ever seen on a game.

#117 4 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

What difference does the code make with the STDM Gene head shot?? Worse thing Ive ever seen on a game.

Ball save kicks in on latest code.

#118 4 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Because it doesn't if it's set up right, or you add time in the menu.
This is all I heard aboot TWD at first too, then I never heard people complaining anymore.

#119 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

Kiss doesn't have Lyman.

#120 4 years ago

The ball save doesn't help on the multi-ball. that's how pretty much all of my multi-balls end with a Gene STDM. just awful. I have taken the head off and adjusted everything that can be adjusted including feet and eject settings. Absolutely ruins the game. Would trade a simpler code to get rid of that awful game killing feature.

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

I have taken the head off and adjusted everything that can be adjusted including feet and eject settings. Absolutely ruins the game.

Hmm, I'm not sure what to suggest. I did the initial adjustment in the first week, and the SDTM from Gene went to about 1 in 100.

#122 4 years ago

Mine has never shot SDTM from Gene's head, but it did have a bitch of a time with the VUK to load his head up until the last code update. Something I've noticed the odd time is that although it predominantly fires at the left flipper tip, sometimes it fires at the right flipper. I haven't taken the mech apart to inspect how it works, but is it possible it can be a random firing unit??

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

The ball save doesn't help on the multi-ball. that's how pretty much all of my multi-balls end with a Gene STDM. just awful. I have taken the head off and adjusted everything that can be adjusted including feet and eject settings. Absolutely ruins the game. Would trade a simpler code to get rid of that awful game killing feature.

Have you contacted Stern to see what they suggest tweaking to help this? Is your machine level from left to right? Just takes a digital level and put in lower playfield to see if it is level from side to side. Some pinheads forget to level left to right and just focus on pitch level that is a big mistake.

Since setting up mine level it hasn't had any SDTM drains from there thank goodness.

#124 4 years ago

Mine is always a bullet STDM. Adjusted everything possible.

#125 4 years ago

Does the ball actually touch the tongue sculpt? If so maybe try a different Gene head. At sterns expense of course.

#126 4 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Still is worth contacting Stern hopefully they could help you figure it out or send out new hardware to fix the issue.

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

stern sent me sd card. not the fix. ill keep you posted just to document and maybe help somebody else, waiting for stern to get back to me. thanks

hello to all and anxiously awaiting kiss code update. my le is finally fixed. it was the cpu. the new one i received is the same part number as the original and no revision. i cant believe this board drives the entire game. i hope somebody will make replacement boards someday i dont see these lasting very long. image.jpg

#129 4 years ago

I get the SDTM shot too... I set mine up level with a little crack over bubble .. I tried a few things but still get STDM shots to often . may stick a rubber pad to the right side to try and have ball come out to the side more

#130 4 years ago

I've had maybe a dozen SDTM shots from Gene after 6 months of ownership. No tweaking out of the box, so I guess I'm lucky.

#131 4 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I've had maybe a dozen SDTM shots from Gene after 6 months of ownership. No tweaking out of the box, so I guess I'm lucky.

Same with me. Probably 4-5 STDM shots in 6 months of ownership. I would be frustrated if it were as often as some describe here.

#132 4 years ago

The Gene head is all over the place. The others Ive played are OK. Mine is just awful. just kills the game. Obviously no QC at Stern.

#133 4 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Obviously no QC at Stern.

QC exists on a scale. Of course there is QC at Stern. Just not make-100%-sure-every-Gene-head-shoots-right type QC.

#134 4 years ago

Bought mine NIB. Gene is 100% perfect STDM. On Demon multi ball all 3 go STDM EVERY TIME. One of the outlane switches weren't working and the opto for the starchild enter has never worked. My machine had 3 problems right out of the box. QC cant be much. Was dated less than 3 weeks earlier when I opened it.

#135 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

QC exists on a scale. Of course there is QC at Stern. Just not make-100%-sure-every-Gene-head-shoots-right type QC.

Or several other things, decals anyone?

Have not turned kiss on since this thread was started. Waiting for code.............

#136 4 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Have you tried this? Mine was same as yours .... my fix described below was the answer:
Gene's "Demon Head" was a major issue with delivering STDMs just about 99% of the time. With just ONE game adjustment, this has been reduced to just 10%! Make this adjustment in the "Adjustments" menu area, the "KISS" sub-menu area. Find the "Demon Lockup Power" I set it to 22. Factory setting is 32. When set at factory, I got STDM almost every single time. The other setting is called "Demon Eject Power". The factory setting is 32 and that is what I have mine set to. I know this reads like I have it backwards, trust me - I don't (you can always set this back if you don't like the result).

#137 4 years ago
Quoted from joekiss:

Bought mine NIB. Gene is 100% perfect STDM. On Demon multi ball all 3 go STDM EVERY TIME. One of the outlane switches weren't working and the opto for the starchild enter has never worked. My machine had 3 problems right out of the box. QC cant be much. Was dated less than 3 weeks earlier when I opened it.

I'd first try and adjust power as described in the above post. If that doesn't work you may want to try what I did. I slightly bent the guide in the picture to the left. So far it has worked like a charm. Don't go in and bend it hella hard but try to get it in a bit like seen in picture.

Kind of funny I never had any issue since set up but I finally got around to making sure it was totally level left to right and pitched perfectly. After I set it up perfectly level I started to get the occasional SDTM. I wanted to play the pin with it leveled correctly so that is why I decided to try and make some adjustments. I'm glad it worked.
image.jpeg

#138 4 years ago

I'm waiting for the GB reveal to decide if I buy KISS or GB.

If I decide on KISS it will be after its complete of course. But... if Gene is SDTM then code resolves nothing. Joe if you try Dudes fix & it works please let us know.

If I decide on GB odds are I will have to wait until 2018 for it to be complete

#139 4 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I'd first try and adjust power as described in the above post. If that doesn't work you may want to try what I did. I slightly bent the guide in the picture to the left. So far it has worked like a charm. Don't go in and bend it hella hard but try to get it in a bit like seen in picture.
image.jpeg

dr pinball using the curved mayo scissors. glad mine worked when i lowered the lockup power to 22.

#140 4 years ago

I have helped plenty of guys resolve their STDM issues from demon head. If anyone sells their game because of this issue or uses this excuse not to buy the pin, then there is another reason why they don't want to buy it. The kissue can be fixed one way or another and is not a permanent interruption. Anyone who can not fix it on their own is welcome to pm me and I will be glad to call them and walk them through the many fixes I have documented to correct the issue.

#141 4 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

Kind of funny I never had any issue since set up but I finally got around to making sure it was totally level left to right and pitched perfectly. After I set it up perfectly level I started to get the occasional SDTM. I wanted to play the pin with it leveled correctly so that is why I decided to try and make some adjustments. I'm glad it worked.
image.jpeg

The Dude's a dentist! Who knew?

#142 4 years ago

Layout is fantastic just needs more stuff in it and the mballs are very uninspired and boring; love the layout

#143 4 years ago

Lowering lockup power to 22 as suggested makes the ball eject boring - its the difference between Gene spitting out fire vs. Gene spitting when he talks by accident - so while that will stop SDTM - it's a weak solution to the problem.

#144 4 years ago

But Derek I thought Stern knocked it out of the park with Kiss?

#145 4 years ago

I love the game just thought they would do more with the code but no new stuff since game release; I sure hope they finish it off the way it deserves to be

#146 4 years ago
Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

Lowering lockup power to 22 as suggested makes the ball eject boring - its the difference between Gene spitting out fire vs. Gene spitting when he talks by accident - so while that will stop SDTM - it's a weak solution to the problem.

My power is on the default setting with the fix I did above. Forgot to note that.

#147 4 years ago
Quoted from ScottinSGFNY:

Scott is correct about this fix - slows the ball waaay down and some may not like it as it changes the need to respond the same way

#148 4 years ago

Waiting........

Hoping Stern put code out by Wednesday.

#149 4 years ago

I've been checking their Facebook page fairly regularly for any updates. They posted some Kiss Christmas Gift ideas and gave the usual 'Stay tuned.' If new code isn't released before Christmas I'll be disappointed.

#150 4 years ago

Many were hoping for a Halloween release.

My disappointment will turn to self loathing for getting sucked into buying a beta pin if there isnt a xmas release.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
There are 551 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 12.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside