20240224_201733 (resized).jpg
20240223_160702 (resized).jpg
20240223_162014 (resized).jpg
20240223_140330 (resized).jpg
20240223_140318 (resized).jpg
20240223_112843 (resized).jpg
20240223_112847 (resized).jpg
20240223_111140 (resized).jpg
There are 317 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.
#151 2 years ago

Dumb question but sound rom is supposed to play two song tunes. One is obvious on game startup.
When is the other one played and what is it?

I ask because I could have sworn there were two but played one recently and didn’t notice it.

#152 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Dumb question but sound rom is supposed to play two song tunes. One is obvious on game startup.
When is the other one played and what is it?
I ask because I could have sworn there were two but played one recently and didn’t notice it.

It plays a tune at power on, start of game, and end of game.

#153 2 years ago

On starting a game it plays Rock N Roll All Night. When the game over it plays Shout it out Loud.

#154 2 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

On starting a game it plays Rock N Roll All Night. When the game over it plays Shout it out Loud.

Interesting, I didn’t hear that when I played it. Maybe it wasn’t working properly

#155 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Interesting, I didn’t hear that when I played it. Maybe it wasn’t working properly

Probably working fine, but the game over tune doesn't really sound like shout it out loud, even though it is supposed to. You can kinda hear it, if you try. They did what they could with the tones they had lol.

#156 2 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

Probably working fine, but the game over tune doesn't really sound like shout it out loud, even though it is supposed to. You can kinda hear it, if you try. They did what they could with the tones they had lol.

I was thinking of putting a NBII in my KISS to get some real music in it. But, I think it might be better served in Rolling Stones.

#157 2 years ago

Who sells the nbii?

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

I was thinking of putting a NBII in my KISS to get some real music in it. But, I think it might be better served in Rolling Stones.

Has anyone been successful at modifying the sounds in NBII for the KISS machine? Or any of the -32 or -50 chime/tune sound card machines.

#160 2 years ago

I have thought about adding real music to mine but then Stern came out with Kiss so I haven’t bothered with it. My plan was to just to use an MP3 trigger and add switches where needed. Easy enough to do. Very easy to set up songs/ call outs etc. any way you want them.

#161 2 years ago

Anyone thinking about selling?

#162 2 years ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

Has anyone been successful at modifying the sounds in NBII for the KISS machine? Or any of the -32 or -50 chime/tune sound card machines.

I haven't done it, but did research some. So the way KISS operates the sounds, all of the notes in a song are individual. You have a couple options on how to do it:

Replace just the first note in the sequence with the song clip you want. But you have to make sure that note isn't used anywhere else. If it is, find another note that isn't used, and so on. The note that was used, just needs to be deleted (well just no sound). There would be a bit of work involved with this, but still doable, since there aren't that many songs it plays.

Other option would be to use the jukebox setting on the NBII board. Turn it to play the songs when the game is started. Then, it will just cycle through the songs you'd load onto it when you play the game.

When looking at Rolling Stones sounds, the music it plays are all in clips. So you can just replace the entire sound with the music you want.

#163 2 years ago
Quoted from Psw757:

Anyone thinking about selling?

Absolutely. As long as I get to name my own price

#164 2 years ago

I've just started (like two weeks ago) designing a -32/-50 custom sound board. I've borrowed a Bally Star Trek from @packkie1 and got the initial concept mostly working this weekend. See the video below. This board will hopefully be available in a few months. These are custom boards only intended to work in one machine (unlike my other custom sound boards which can be moved to other machines). I'm planning on doing a Bally KISS version next. I need to get a machine or borrow one. If anyone is willing to lend me their machine before I get one, they'd get a board free and support. Let me know if you are in the Wisconsin/Illinois area.

This video was recorded after only after about 6 hours of programming. The volumes of some of the individual sounds need adjustment - along with their timing. I need to support all the different chime, noise, tune versions from the two MPU DIP switches related to sound.

I would expect KISS to be similar to Star Trek. I can replace the stock tunes with short sounds/voices (start game, end game, bonus, coin up, tilt). I can replace the sounds on the pop-bumpers and sling shots. I can add a repeating background sound(s). As well as adding attract sounds. The tricky part is seeing if I can turn off the stock sounds completely and run only on the extra sounds.

All the sounds are WAV files on the MicroSD card. There will be a printed manual which goes into detail on which files do what. There will be the ability to add sounds to all the solenoid fires (not just the pop bumpers and sling shots). There are 4 sound banks on the card to choose from (DIP switches), so you can collect sound sets from other machine owners - and switch them on the fly.

#165 2 years ago

This is extremely exciting!!

#166 2 years ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

I have the board in Fathom. I bought it for Medusa, but it’s installed in Fathom while Medusa is getting restored.

Anyway, it’s awesome. Totally plug and play and replaces the sound board and MPU. Swapping sounds is a breeze, and playing music during gameplay is super easy.

I’m jamming to the soundtrack score of Clash of the Titans, 300, God of War, Assassins Creed Odyssey, etc. Couldn’t be easier, highly recommended.

1 week later
#167 2 years ago

quick question for all the Kiss owners. Most Bally's of this era had a splatter paint in the base color- does Kiss? and if it does what color is the splatter? gold?

#168 2 years ago

No splatter on Kiss

#169 2 years ago
Quoted from Doot77:

No splatter on Kiss

thanks!

1 week later
#170 2 years ago

geeteoh Ive done something kind of similar with my KISS using custom ROMs to modify the sound output from the MPU board, and completely replaced the sound board with an arduino and a WAV trigger board. I believe I’ve got something like 35 songs that’ll randomly play in the background, individual K-I-S-S call outs, drum sound for the pops and still use some of the stock sounds to keep things “vintage”.

I had it at MGC and got some good feedback.

My implementation isn’t as professional looking as yours, but it works pretty well.

My buddy, who’s more of a kiss fan than a pinball fan said “you actually made this game fun to play”. I took it as a compliment.

Jeff

#171 2 years ago
Quoted from Grangeomatic:

geeteoh Ive done something kind of similar with my KISS using custom ROMs to modify the sound output from the MPU board, and completely replaced the sound board with an arduino and a WAV trigger board. I believe I’ve got something like 35 songs that’ll randomly play in the background, individual K-I-S-S call outs, drum sound for the pops and still use some of the stock sounds to keep things “vintage”.
I had it at MGC and got some good feedback.
My implementation isn’t as professional looking as yours, but it works pretty well.
My buddy, who’s more of a kiss fan than a pinball fan said “you actually made this game fun to play”. I took it as a compliment.
Jeff

I bet it sounds really good. Might take some of those ideas of drums for the pops. I'm going to start looking for a machine.

#172 2 years ago

finishing up a scratch build of kiss now including adding music and callouts with a wav trigger board. Fingers crossed it all works once i finish assembling it.

1 week later
#173 2 years ago

Hi all,anyone else have any tips on getting the flippers to stay put? I cranked the two hex screws holding the flipper shaft as hard as is possible without snapping the wrench but one still breaks loose on game play. Thanks.

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from glpinball:

Hi all,anyone else have any tips on getting the flippers to stay put? I cranked the two hex screws holding the flipper shaft as hard as is possible without snapping the wrench but one still breaks loose on game play. Thanks.

Make sure the shaft is smooth. Over the years, the screws will bit into the metal and cause the shaft to slip when you flip. If there are any gouges, I'd recommend new flipper bats/shafts.

#175 2 years ago

You need to get these things scary tight.

2 weeks later
#176 2 years ago

In case you missed it: CPR is now reproducing the plastics (the full set). On the screen the colors look good. I'd love to see a set in person for a tur review.

#177 2 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

In case you missed it: CPR is now reproducing the plastics (the full set). On the screen the colors look good. I'd love to see a set in person for a tur review.

Where do you see them "on the screen". The CPR site only has the artwork (drawing)! To your point, seeing in person is the key! Often CPR's work looks good from the picture but it's a different story when in person. Hopefully not the case here!

#178 2 years ago
Quoted from meSz:

The CPR site only has the artwork (drawing)

Yes, that's what I mean. Color look right in the art. Need to see the real thing.

So if someone here buys a set, we'd love to set it.

#179 2 years ago

Bally KISS is begging for new sounds. I'd be interested in this mod. I was 13 when KISS was new in 1979, so I'm used to the primitive sounds. But I would love to be able to customize it easily. Some songs would be great.

#180 2 years ago

I have a set I bought from CPR years ago that were probably produced from the same films. I can take pix/video if you like.

Shawn

#181 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

I have a set I bought from CPR years ago that were probably produced from the same films. I can take pix/video if you like.
Shawn

Be interesting to see them. And then someone that buys the new ones can post as well.

#182 2 years ago
Quoted from Mk1Mod0:

Shawn

I don't think CPR manufactured them if they were from "years ago". I remember a few years ago I asked CPR if they were planning to make Kiss plastics sets and they said they were waiting for the existing IPB sets to be used up first.

I still have an IPB Kiss playfield, backglass, and plastics set.

#183 2 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

I don't think CPR manufactured them

Yup. You made me think about it. Pretty sure I picked them up on BAA at some point along with the center display board and pop caps. I probably still have the receipt and could confirm this. (I'm one of those guys...) I'll get them out this weekend and see.

Shawn

#184 2 years ago

I've got my Kiss on location and the owner says it is making a very loud humming sound and shut it off. It has a cap kit, any of you guys have this happen before? Guessing either volume pots or a chip needs to be re-seated / maybe a cruddy socket.

2 weeks later
#185 2 years ago

Hi Folks

A buddy of mine with a
79 KISS wants to change out the displays to the newer style with color

1 color per member of the band as he likes the look and when plays in a group they can be their favorite member

Who would be my best supplier to update his pin

Appreciate your help

1 week later
#186 2 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Hi Folks
A buddy of mine with a
79 KISS wants to change out the displays to the newer style with color
1 color per member of the band as he likes the look and when plays in a group they can be their favorite member
Who would be my best supplier to update his pin
Appreciate your help

Depends if you want to DIY or have them built.

LISY has full diy
https://lisy.dev/bally-7digit.html

wolfpac tech - All bom just solder
https://www.wolffpactech.com/6-digit-display-kits

assembled
https://www.pinballsolutions.eu/product-category/bally/

pintech
https://www.pinitech.com/products/ballystern_display_traditional.php

xpin
http://bigdaddy-enterprises.com/ProductPages/XPINBallyDisplayBoards.html

#187 2 years ago

The kiss left inlane guide wire fell out of its hole. Is there a "good" procedure for putting this back in and letting it not fall out again? Didn't know if there was a correct way, like glue or epoxy, or just jam it down and hope it doesn't come out again.

IMG_1542 (resized).jpegIMG_1542 (resized).jpeg
3 months later
#189 1 year ago

On my Bally KISS one of the original coin acceptance switches is bad and not registering a credit. I cannot find an exact replacement coin switch and am somewhat confused what coin switch to purchase.

The only one that I find that I assume would indeed work in the machine is this one from Marco. Will this one work in the machine? and if not, could someone point me to one that works as a replacement?

ROTARY MICROSWITCH BALLY
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/E-108-92

Thank you,
Eric

large (resized).jpeglarge (resized).jpeg
Added 22 months ago:

Answer found.

2 months later
#190 1 year ago

It is the dawn of a new day for Bally Kiss owners. This is going to be a tremendous option for your game to breathe some new life into the experience.

#191 1 year ago
Quoted from Ballypalooza:

It is the dawn of a new day for Bally Kiss owners. This is going to be a tremendous option for your game to breathe some new life into the experience.

Thanks for the shout out and for the use of your awesome machine!!!!

#192 1 year ago

Oh ya, I’d be down for that custom sound board!

3 weeks later
#193 1 year ago

I have more progress on the KISS custom plug-and-play AS-2518-50 sound board. I have .... machine power up sounds, game start sounds, game end sounds, different songs can be played for each ball, sounds for the pop-bumpers, and sounds for the sling-shots. The sounds for the pop-bumpers and sling-shot suppress the stock scoring sounds - so they sound better. Lots' more to do - sounds for the KISS bonus, colossal bonus, tilt, ball eject, and possibly for the target reset and coin-up.

#194 1 year ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

I have more progress on the KISS custom plug-and-play AS-2518-50 sound board. I have .... machine power up sounds, game start sounds, game end sounds, different songs can be played for each ball, sounds for the pop-bumpers, and sounds for the sling-shots. The sounds for the pop-bumpers and sling-shot suppress the stock scoring sounds - so they sound better. Lots' more to do - sounds for the KISS bonus, colossal bonus, tilt, ball eject, and possibly for the target reset and coin-up.

I've been watching your videos on these boards. Very cool. Do you sell them? You site has alot of info, but I didn't see a way to buy one. Probably user error on my part.

#195 1 year ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I've been watching your videos on these boards. Very cool. Do you sell them? You site has alot of info, but I didn't see a way to buy one. Probably user error on my part.

It’s not for sale yet.

#196 1 year ago

It’s going to be very popular

#197 1 year ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

It’s not for sale yet.

When it is, shoot me a pm. It sounds amazing so far. Fantastic work!

2 weeks later
#198 1 year ago
Quoted from geeteoh:

It’s not for sale yet.

Still excited to buy your sound board!
Side note: just realized you’re from Peoria.
I go down there once every couple months because my son goes to Bradley University!

#199 1 year ago
Quoted from kklank:

Still excited to buy your sound board!
Side note: just realized you’re from Peoria.
I go down there once every couple months because my son goes to Bradley University!

The board is turning out better than I expected. I've just gotten new boards this week with a 2-pin header so that a person can remotely mount a push button somewhere on the front of the cabinet to change songs (when in Single background mode). I've made it so it changes between 15 different songs now. When the board is in Multi-background mode, it automatically changes songs with each ball.

I spent all last weekend getting the final sound effects. I've been testing the attract mode. It plays one of 15 different sounds every 3 minutes between games. I have these as 10-15 seconds of song parts. Just last night, I finally got the call-out for the Colossal bonus working. Now I have everything functional. I just have a couple of software bugs and I need to test out all four of the MPU sound setting combinations with the s8 and s32 switches.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 17.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.98
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 317 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-bally-1979-fan-club-cmon-love-me/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.