KISS Balls have Black Scuffs from Spinning Disc - Normal?

(Topic ID: 130536)

KISS Balls have Black Scuffs from Spinning Disc - Normal?

By Nuclear_Waste

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by Jeffabc1
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 10 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Troncleardiscrubber2.jpg
Troncleardiscrubber1.jpg
image-532.jpg
image.jpg
image-554.jpg
image.jpg
SAM_3152.JPG
SAM_3077.JPG
SAM_3070.JPG
20150614_235918.jpg

There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Come on people, are we seriously going to blame the rubbers

well, a couple hundred plays on the one on route (black disc still in the game, but all main black rubbers have been changed out with translucent) and all is good. Changed one variable and the symptom went away. Granted n = 1 so we probably need a few more to start making any real conclusions.

#52 3 years ago
Quoted from gawcol:

No one here that can give me the diameter of the spinning disc?

Here are a set of the clear Tron replacement Disc rubber I ordered from Pinballcenter.eu.

Troncleardiscrubber1.JPG

The main disc appears to be about 2 13/16" (inches) for the outer diameter. The smaller inner ring Outer Diameter looks to be 1 9/16" (inches). The thickness of the rubber is approximately 1/16" (Inch).

Troncleardiscrubber2.JPG

#53 3 years ago

Thanks but I think the diameter from Kiss is different than Tron.

#54 3 years ago

Any of you KISS Pro owners seeing anything odd with your playfield? I'm starting to notice some what appears to be either bubbles or dimples on the playfield on mine.... Right in the center near The band art. I tried to take a pic of it but the pictures just won't capture what I see. The light from the LEDs needs to hit them just right and you kind of have to look at a low angle to see them. At first I thought they were maybe small air bubbles somehow underneath the thin Mylar or somehom in the clear... But after closer inspection I think they might actually be inset dimples... Maybe from ball strikes?

Anyone else seeing this?

#55 3 years ago

Forgot to mention that it's much easier to see them in areas of black colored art on the playfield.. They show up in other areas also but the light reflects from them more obviously in darker areas like right around the CatMans head.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from Stretchbaldy:

after closer inspection I think they might actually be inset dimples... Maybe from ball strikes?

That's exactly what it is and it's normal...after a while there will be so many that you won't notice them at all...after the pf wood is "compressed" everywhere it will look smooth again.

#57 3 years ago

For real? Wow. I had no idea. Safe to assume that all brand new pins go through this period?

#58 3 years ago

For real? Wow. I had no idea. Safe to assume that all brand new pins go through this period?

Yes, the ball is harder than wood.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from ZippyThePinhead:

That's exactly what it is and it's normal...after a while there will be so many that you won't notice them at all...after the pf wood is "compressed" everywhere it will look smooth again.

Very interesting to us new NIB owners. Thanks for the insight.

#60 3 years ago

only the last few years. Before quality was better and pins didn't have this problem.
I've not seen games that look smooth again... but you get used to it...

#61 3 years ago

Put some polishing pads on there and they will get polished all the time!

3 weeks later
#62 3 years ago

Sorry for the bump, but it seemed an appropriate thread. Does anyone have pictures of the ephemeral spinning disc? I've played the machine, but I haven't seen the disc or really had its effects demonstrated.

Brad

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from bsnelson:

Sorry for the bump, but it seemed an appropriate thread. Does anyone have pictures of the ephemeral spinning disc? I've played the machine, but I haven't seen the disc or really had its effects demonstrated.
Brad

good call brad. In June I played 3 kiss games in the Milwaukee area. Obviously all brand new machines and the Black stuff is destroying them immediately. I guess stern didn't test gene's mouth at the factory.

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from cavalier88z24:

Obviously all brand new machines and the Black stuff is destroying them immediately.

Over a month on location now, no more black stuff. It stopped after roughly a week of play. Not destroyed at all Literally 3 minute wipe down cleaned up the black.

#65 3 years ago

I must be one of the lucky ones lol I have a brand new pro maybe 200 games and zero black stuff you guys speak of

#66 3 years ago

Same here... No black streaks yet but do have some dimples from ball strikes on the playfield from the ball exiting Gene's mouth.

#67 3 years ago

Same here... No black streaks yet but do have some dimples from ball strikes on the playfield from the ball exiting Gene's mouth.

Yes have plenty of dimples on PF in the black area but to be expected I suppose

#68 3 years ago

maybe I don't play enough

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

How the hell did Stern not catch this??? It was a huge issue with tron

Because it's freaking Stern.

#70 3 years ago

I'm curious how the spinning disc would behave with a clear disc pad like the ones we are replacing on TRON.
I bet the ball would fire from under his head in wild swirls! Anyone trying it? It looks like the KISS spinning disc is a little smaller, but not much so the disc rubber might need to be trimmed. It sure would make the game cleaner as the clear rubber doesn't rub off in black dust...

2 years later
#71 4 months ago

Hello sorry to bring up this old post but maybe there is some new advise here? I am Charlie. Brand new to pinball and a new KISS LE owner. My first game. I have the same black scuffing issues appearing on my pinballs and playfield. Does anyone have some advise? Seems many have had the same issue. Hoping since the issue is a couple years old now, a good fix has been discovered?
Any help or advise is much appreciated.
Thank you.
Charlie.

#72 4 months ago
Quoted from Jeffabc1:

Hello sorry to bring up this old post but maybe there is some new advise here? I am Charlie. Brand new to pinball and a new KISS LE owner. My first game. I have the same black scuffing issues appearing on my pinballs and playfield. Does anyone have some advise? Seems many have had the same issue. Hoping since the issue is a couple years old now, a good fix has been discovered?
Any help or advise is much appreciated.
Thank you.
Charlie.

The Black scuffs come off. Use a cloth And you can use a little novus 2 or 1. The scuffs should wipe right up on both the playfield and the balls. If they don’t come off the balls, buy new ones.
I put a small coat of blitz wax on the playfield once clean as well.

#73 4 months ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

The Black scuffs come off. Use a cloth And you can use a little novus 2 or 1. The scuffs should wipe right up on both the playfield and the balls. If they don’t come off the balls, buy new ones.
I put a small coat of blitz wax on the playfield once clean as well.

Thank you. I have been cleaning it off with some Novus 1. I am just trying to find the fix for the spinning disk that is causing the marks. Thanks much!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 9.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 170.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Mods
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Grand Rapids, MI
$ 24.95
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside