(Topic ID: 130536)

KISS Balls have Black Scuffs from Spinning Disc - Normal?

By Nuclear_Waste

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 73 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Jeffabc1
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Troncleardiscrubber2.jpg
Troncleardiscrubber1.jpg
image-532.jpg
image.jpg
image-554.jpg
image.jpg
SAM_3152.JPG
SAM_3077.JPG
SAM_3070.JPG
20150614_235918.jpg
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 8 years ago

Balls out of my KISS after 10 games. They're sitting a on a white cloth, so all dark spots you see are rubbery scuffs from the disc.

Is this normal for Stern discs? Does it get better over time? Easy to clean, but a PITA.

20150614_235918.jpg20150614_235918.jpg

#2 8 years ago

I was out at the pyramid scheme tonight playing kiss and we could not believe how gummed up/dirty the playfield was. It had really bad ball trails in the inlanes and had a ton of black spots all over the playfiled. When we looked at the balls they had black scuff marks all over them like yours. We were trying to figure out what it was from as we couldn't believe how bad a game that was on location for a week looked.
I would try to keep those as clean as possible cause it will get all over your playfield. I wonder what someone could do to prevent this. I wish I would have taken a picture of the game because it really looked like a game on route for over a year without ever being cleaned.

#3 8 years ago

What the heck? I have a Pro on order. This isn't good to hear.

#4 8 years ago

This was a big issue on Tron, which led to the evolution of the clear rubber disc replacement. Maybe a candidate for here as well.

#5 8 years ago

Welcome to the joy of the black spinning disc club, come pull up a chair next to the Tron section.

#6 8 years ago

So they didn't learn from Tron. Trouble is, clear rubber discs tend to shred after a while - just not strong enough. Time for modders to come up with some thing better. Some regularly clean the rubber with alcohol - maybe a possibility but not that easy to get to.

#7 8 years ago

Is it possible to remove the rubber and use something different on the disc?

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Nuclear_Waste:

Balls out of my KISS after 10 games. Theyr'e sitting a on a white cloth, so all dark spots you see are rubbery scuffs from the disc.
Is this normal for Stern discs? Does it get better over time? Easy to clean, but a PITA.

20150614_235918.jpg

We played one in location that was starting to do the same thing and had probably less than 20 plays on it. Has anyone said anything to Stern? With their open communication now days, maybe they would attempt a new material on the disc?

Brian

#9 8 years ago

I wish super bands just made a disc. I just spent $30 to get a blue disc and a white disc from pinballcenter.eu to try for my Tron.

But yeah, this seems to be what happens with a black rubber spinning disc. Have some novus and carnuba on hand, maybe wax up the disc some? It'll reduce the throw, but it will also reduce the rate of discoloration of the play field.

#10 8 years ago

With all the materials available in the market today, there must be several good alternatives available to fix the problem.

#11 8 years ago

I've had a Tron since day one and I don't ever remember seeing it as bad as this Kiss was. Maybe that's just me though. My memory sucks!!

Brian

#12 8 years ago
Quoted from 320Gigabytes:

I wish super bands just made a disc.

so maybe the rubber must be replaced with silicone

#13 8 years ago

How the hell did Stern not catch this??? It was a huge issue with tron

#14 8 years ago

I predict this will be even worse than tron since that disc shot is always open on Kiss

#15 8 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

I was out at the pyramid scheme tonight playing kiss and we could not believe how gummed up/dirty the playfield was. It had really bad ball trails in the inlanes and had a ton of black spots all over the playfiled. When we looked at the balls they had black scuff marks all over them like yours. We were trying to figure out what it was from as we couldn't believe how bad a game that was on location for a week looked.
I would try to keep those as clean as possible cause it will get all over your playfield. I wonder what someone could do to prevent this. I wish I would have taken a picture of the game because it really looked like a game on route for over a year without ever being cleaned.

Not even a week - that was unboxed mid-day Friday.

But yeah, Tron...

#16 8 years ago

Has anybody tried using Plati-Dip spray on the discs? That could seal in the black but also leave the disc with some grip. I believe Harbor freight sells it.

#17 8 years ago

Reset problems on Acdc, then TWD, now Kiss too even in code infancy? The black dust from the spinner is likely excess material from the disc manufacturing process being worn off from ball friction. As others said the dust will go away in time.

Look towards playing the game with more complete code this weekend.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from wontwa:

Not even a week - that was unboxed mid-day Friday.
But yeah, Tron...

Wow!! That's insane. That game was so filthy and it only took 3 days to get that way! !

If you happen to be back there take a pic and post here, I think people will be shocked at how bad that playfield got

#19 8 years ago

I had to clean my Tron 2-3 times in 3 months, excess was gone .

#20 8 years ago
Quoted from tmontana:

Wow!! That's insane. That game was so filthy and it only took 3 days to get that way! !
If you happen to be back there take a pic and post here, I think people will be shocked at how bad that playfield got

I'll be there tomorrow night (Melvins!) & Friday (KISS launch party). PS is really good about staying on top of keeping the games in nice shape so I'd be surprised if it stays that way long, but sounds like it'll be a task. From my Tron experience the disk issue became less as it went on, hopefully KISS is the same.

#21 8 years ago

It must be the new disc that Stern is using. I had an early run of the Tron Pro and had no issues at all. I played a Kiss in Minneapolis and the black streaks were real prevalent.

#22 8 years ago

Another issue that may be missed...

THROW THE BALLS THAT COME WITH YOUR STERN GAME AWAY!

Before even playing 1 game with them.

They are garbage, pitted and like sandpaper for your playfield right out of the box.

I Can guarantee that if you put quality pinballs in your new game, that not only will the game play better/faster. But the rubber disc will last longer, transfer less rubber.

The game and balls will collect less dirt. And the playfield will look cleaner longer

The wireform ramps coating will last longer, the plastic ramps will get less scratched.

And also Change out the balls every year if its HUO or sooner if it gets tons of game play.

#23 8 years ago

Anyone post this on sterns fb yet?

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Can someone give me a tip on the best place to buy high quality balls? I have a KISS Pro on order and it is supposed to ship next week.

#25 8 years ago

Pinball Life super shiny pinballs are the best I have found.

#26 8 years ago
Quoted from Minneapolispin:

Can someone give me a tip on the best place to buy high quality balls? I have a KISS Pro on order and it is supposed to ship next week.

Go to www.pinballlife.com and order the shiny balls for $1.50 a piece. Order 30 of them so you'll have plenty in reserve.

#27 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

Another issue that may be missed...

The balls that come with the new Sterns look like crap, but if you clean them with rubbing alcohol, and then wax them they shine like new PBL balls. They come with some sort of oil or something on them that makes them look bad.

#28 8 years ago

Agreed, it's all I use. Change them out annually when I change the batteries.

#29 8 years ago

Do the Premium & LE models have the spinning disc?
Also 6 balls for Kiss?? Can you a get a 6 ball multiball?

#31 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlieNY:

Do the Premium & LE models have the spinning disc?
Also 6 balls for Kiss?? Can you a get a 6 ball multiball?

Yep, they do have a spinning disc.

The game does hold 6 balls. Must be a mode somewhere that uses them--but I haven't seen it yet.

#32 8 years ago

Anyone know anything about these aftermarket discs for TRON? Do they not wear off, or do they just mark the balls with blue scuffs? (I bet this looks bad-ass on a TRON!)

http://www.pinballcenter.eu/catalog/disc-rubber-set-blue-tron-legacy-p-6834.html?language=english

#33 8 years ago

I hope someone comes up with a fix for this spinning disc problem with getting the playfield and balls so dirty.....

#34 8 years ago

Someone should private message stern on their facebook page. They reply back within 5 minutes they say..

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlieNY:

I hope someone comes up with a fix for this spinning disc problem with getting the playfield and balls so dirty.....

Buy WNBJM instead! ha ha, much better game IMO.

#36 8 years ago

Just asked the? On Facebook I am sure they will answer with their resolution

#37 8 years ago

better use silicone instead of rubber

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from erak:

I Can guarantee that if you put quality pinballs in your new game, that not only will the game play better/faster. But the rubber disc will last longer, transfer less rubber.

The one I played had all new aftermarket balls in it and the playfield looks like someone took black rubber to a cheese grater all over the playfield.

#39 8 years ago

I have to say that I am pretty sure the disc has little to do with the black rubber.

We have a game on route and had the launch party yesterday. The game now has a couple hundred plays on it with NO black marking at all.

What is different about our game compared to others? Well, the first thing we always do now before even playing the first game is we remove all the CRAPPY black rubbers that come on the game and install translucent/ clear rubbers from PBL or now from Titan. We do this on the bottom half of the pf at minimum and for sure the flips, slings, and main posts.

We have NO black streaking after many plays so I have to think changing the other rubbers in the game are more important than anything.

#40 8 years ago

As a tron owner I replaced it with the clear disc for two reasons one the black funk and it lost grip really fast. After I 3med the clear on it never shred again. But it's really fast so it might change game play in a bad way. The other theory about the black rubber posts is a good one as well . After 700 plays the funk went way down

#41 8 years ago

It is the disc. Mine looks trashed after the first couple of days

image.jpgimage.jpg image-554.jpgimage-554.jpg
#43 8 years ago

Regardless of where you buy your balls, make sure to inspect each one before using. When buying standard balls, I've found that ~7 out of 10 have pits.

I bought the Premium Ultra Gloss balls from Pinball Life, only to find that 7 of the 10 had pits on them also. Maybe I just had bad luck, but I was pretty disappointed, considering that I bought them specifically because I was frustrated with the quality of standard balls and had heard so many people lauding the quality of the PBL Ultra Gloss.

The only balls I've found, that I'd consider excellent quality, are the SilverJets. Of course, they're more expensive and can become magnetized, which causes problems feeding from the ball trough. I believe this can be solved with the Anti-Mag Trough Shim though.

#44 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

It is the disc. Mine looks trashed after the first couple of days

did you switch out all the other game rubbers from black to something better?

Ours looks super clean still. Granted you probably already have 3 or 4x the number of plays on yours because we do not have the player based you do, but still that looks really bad.

#45 8 years ago
Quoted from Chrizg:

image.jpg image.jpg

This is exactly what the one I played yesterday looks like.

#46 8 years ago

Anyone has a list with the rubbers used on kiss? I'd like to order, but don't find it on the site yet.
And for the ones that replaced the rubbers. It looks better with black, white or transparant silicone rubbers?

#47 8 years ago

In support of Vids recommendation of rubber changing, If you take a good rubber cleaner, PBL as an example, to a NIB Stern, like Kiss, I have found it pulled nothing but Black Off, and lots of it.

Perhaps Gene Needs his Rubber Cleaned well before Play?
......along with everything else in Black rubber.

Maybe it will help until replacement rubber, and or disc rubber get made.

#48 8 years ago

I cleaned the disc with rubbing alcohol with 2 towels until they were both black. Other new Stern games(ST, TWD, MET) I have out on location have factory rubber and do not have the black mess all over the PF and balls so I don't think it is the standard PF rubber. I will probably pull the rubber off the disc next time I am there.

1 week later
#49 8 years ago

No one here that can give me the diameter of the spinning disc?

#50 8 years ago

Come on people, are we seriously going to blame the rubbers, it's the disk.....End of discussion. Now can someone get "gawcol" the measurement he needs to come up with a fix?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

$ 29.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 73 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kiss-balls-have-black-scuffs-from-spinning-disc-normal/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.