• Rocks! 65 votes
    86%
  • Rolls! 4 votes
    5%
  • Me Quick! 7 votes
    9%

(76 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 197 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

b27d07a9872545f302035c872b7427418077bca6 (resized).jpg
Screensho_2 (resized).jpg
KISS Disc motor mylar decal (resized).jpg
E447667E-24B6-4119-B4B4-83ED0E150D77 (resized).jpeg
BB4DC7A1-7334-4988-8E6D-4F0561387573 (resized).jpeg
64FC27C1-E0D3-46E1-85BE-7FD5190B1165 (resized).jpeg
112DC3E7-6D69-4039-AC5F-F1AB93C314BB (resized).jpeg
IMG_3197 (resized).JPG
E61F1158-ADC1-48F2-AFEB-501ADCC54A69 (resized).jpeg
7676997e0056624a751164352c14a8024c1e428f (resized).jpg
IMG_0439 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0443 (resized).jpeg
20180118_122038 (resized).jpg
20191011_134836 (resized).jpg
20191011_134815 (resized).jpg
_2261567 (resized).JPG

There are 1115 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 23.
#151 4 years ago

Spinning disc decal? What's the deal with that?

#152 4 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

I have cover decal to install on spinner disc.

I got one of those, but for the life of me I can't see why I'd bother installing it now that I have the game..you can't see the disc at all!!

#153 4 years ago
Quoted from TimeBandit:

I got one of those, but for the life of me I can't see why I'd bother installing it now that I have the game..you can't see the disc at all!!

I use the decal on mine to keep the rubber disc from crapping black on the playfield. Works like a charm.

#154 4 years ago
Quoted from thundergod76:

I use the decal on mine to keep the rubber disc from crapping black on the playfield. Works like a charm.

True, there is that. Funny, I'd forgotten about the crap off the disc issue. Stern must have addressed it before mine got made..not a single piece of crud has come off my disc.

#155 4 years ago

I know for a fact that Stern upgraded the rubber discs to a higher quality on the Premiums and LEs.

#156 4 years ago
Quoted from Kramer:

You don't have to remove genes head to put the spinning disc decal on. The whole assembly will unplug and un screw from below the play field. I installed one myself back in the summer and I have never taken the gene head apart since I have had the game. Dave

what he said

#157 4 years ago

I know for a fact that Stern upgraded the rubber discs to a higher quality on the Premiums and LEs.

True fact!

#158 4 years ago

I never had that problem on my pro. Maybe some of stuff people used on their playfields caused the rubber to break down?

Rob

#159 4 years ago

Thanks for quick answers. Totally enjoying this pin! It's great all around.

#160 4 years ago

KISS Premium Review (Short version ... I love it!)

LONG Version:
Put a few hundred games on our new Stern KISS Premium and thought it was time to share my thoughts on the game.
First, some background. Over 50 years old, grew up with Kiss as a teenager. My sister was the KISS fan in the house. I was mildly interested. Friends loved them too and when they would blast it on their stereos I would enjoy it but not love it. More interested at the time in Neil Young, Thin Lizzy, Boston, etc. Anyway … fast forward 30+ years and my wife is a KISS fan. When I suggested we get the new Stern, she did not object. Ordered and received it quickly from Trent at Tilt (thank you sir). So what is it like?

The MUSIC:
Well let's start by saying that I actually love the KISS music on the pin. None of the songs are new to me but I really do truly enjoy them fully for the first time. Several reasons. They might be remakes of the originals BUT they sound so good! I'm an audio snob that has spent a fortune on equipment over the years. I care deeply about the sound quality of everything. With that said, everything is a comparison and this pin is no Macintosh amp or Krell or Mark Levinson BUT for a pin - it's amazing! Full disclosure, I added the Pinnovators subwoofer and headphone/volume control output device along with a Polk SW10 sub. The sub is a must have. So … the sound is amazing, the volume level you can take it up to is deafening (it will literally drown out all the other pins in my room except maybe WOZ)

The LOOK:
Just drop dead artwork on this pin. No other way to say it. Kevin O'Conner just nailed the design. Of course the muscles are "over-the-top" but so what, it's hand drawn art and it's supposed to be fantasy! The back box is beautiful but beware that it is BRIGHT and without PDI glass, you will get significant playfield reflections. I added a DMD glare guard (Comet Pinball) and that completely eliminates the DMD as an issue.

The playfield is simply stunning from a finish perspective. The clearcoat is as deep and clean as the one I did personally to my BOP. It looks like glass and is impressive. Of course the thicker the coat, the deeper the dimples. You get plenty of them in this game and they are simply unavoidable. Given the fact that the ball "drops" out of Gene's mouth, dimples are going to be there and they will be slightly more pronounced. Put 3,000 games on it and you'll never notice them

The ability of the playfield to change GI colors for each major multiball mode is really nice. Purple for Love Gun and Red for Demon multiball. Really adds to the gameplay

The FUNCTION:
The controlled inserts are placed perfectly. Right in between the slings and easy to see your status in descending order of: KISS drop targets, KISS army, band members and then finally the Instruments . The Spike system has the benefit of what seems to be improved sound, but also has some negatives. One is the LOUD fan noise from the system. When playing the game this is NOT an issue. When idling it IS an issue. I'll walk into my game-room and wonder "what is that noise?" only to remind myself that the new Spike system has a fan (so does my WOZ but not as loud).

The center metal lane guide in the left in-lanes cause a fair number of left drains - particularly when the ball is moving left and hits the top of it (instead of a nice bounce "up", you will get more of a "skid/bounce" left to the drain).

The flashers at the slings are "weak" compared to others (they are surface mounted SMDs on a small circuit board) but not so terrible that it takes away from the game. The games lighting after all is one of its strong qualities

The Paul Stanley figure above the Starchild bullpen is animated but don’t expect much - he barely moves (this is a disappointment). The spotlight that is aimed at him does not do a great job due to its location. Others have moved it and the results are much improved.

Gene's "Demon Head" was a major issue with delivering STDMs just about 99% of the time. With just ONE game adjustment, this has been reduced to just 10%! Make this adjustment in the "Adjustments" menu area, the "KISS" sub-menu area. Find the "Demon Lockup Power" I set it to 22. Factory setting is 32. When set at factory, I got STDM almost every single time. The other setting is called "Demon Eject Power". The factory setting is 32 and that is what I have mine set to. I know this reads like I have it backwards, trust me - I don't (you can always set this back if you don't like the result).

The only other problem I had with mine was the SD card. Had sound cut-outs/skipping from game one. I copied/cloned the SD card to another (higher quality class 10) card and replaced it - fixed it perfectly, no more issues since. The game has been rock solid from an electronics perspective - no lock-ups and no freezes, etc. Running code v1.05 at this moment

The PLAY:
OK, the most important part … how is it as a pinball machine? Killer fast and crazy fun! Fastest machine I have for sure and before that I would have said Star Trek Premium was - but no more. KISS gives you NO rest. It is literally non-stop action. The only breather you get is the center ramp (and any you create for yourself by flipper cradles, etc.). The speed in the game is reflected in ALL aspects, including ball save, where the next ball is served up so quickly that you had better not take your eyes of the game. Scoring is quick too. Whereas my Star Trek Premiums processor can "get behind" what the ball is doing on the table, the KISS Spike system is crazy fast. The combination of the speed along with the music makes you feel like you're actually at a concert and there are times when I lose focus on the game and shift to the music - weird I know, but true. When it happens, I'll usually make a dumb move and drain. Honestly one of the best games I've had to date (around 90MM) was when I was dancing, singing and generally acting like a kid at a concert while playing. I can easily say, it is the most fun I have when playing any of my pins - that's saying a lot!

The pin does a nice job of calling out the "next shot" via the arrow inserts. Easy to see them and they are color coordinated based on what mode you are working. This is important as each shot is both critical and challenging due to the tight posts and sharp angles of the most difficult shots. With the speed of this game, you need to look quickly and understand "what's next" - the game does a nice job of this.

The hardest shots are the Starchild "bullpen" area and of course the right ramp. I find the spinner shot to be a little easier and is one of the most satisfying on the table. Another VERY satisfying shot is the Peter Criss drum shot up through the pop bumpers. Nice double bass drum call-out as you pass the switch!

Cradling is very easy on the game for either flipper. Post passes are a challenge but can be done. Bounce passing from flipper to flipper is incredibly easy and helpful and this is a "target" style game with very specific and difficult to hit targets. Rolling passes from the in-lanes are easy. Cradling the ball on the right flipper is a sure way to drive the ball into the Demon head, a slight flick and its 100% intro Genes head every time.

The left and right drains are the biggest risk and for the most part will not be caused by the player - they are either random or forcible from the pop bumpers action. Because of the table design, drains down the middle are actually the least frequent. The only almost guaranteed drain down the middle is if you hit a weak shot up the center ramp that does not make it - watch out it's coming back!

KISS drop targets are challenging to hit from the right flipper but they need to be and this is a good challenge. Same goes for the ARMY targets on the other side of the playfield.

The Gene spinning disc introduces just the right amount of randomness to the play. There are times when the eject puts a crazy amount of spin on the ball. It's your job to coral and control it again. Once in great while this will produce a drain but it's rare and not annoying at all.

The levitating ball initiated by the Starchild bullpen is a cool feature and although it appears simple, the work that the team at Stern did to incorporate Paul's callouts, the DMD animation and music really do a nice job making it "more than it really is" - simple but still cool.

The MODS:
There are not as many mods available as for other games but there are some that are awesome and really add to the game. These are the ones that I did:
• Yellow fluorescent plastic protectors (slings and lanes)
• Polk SW10 Subwoofer & Pinnovators Spike sub-output
• KISS letter separator (Mezel Mods)
• Shaker motor (Spike system version)
• Mantis scoop protector (fits from underside)
• Pingraffix inside cab artwork (Ordered the LE version)

#161 4 years ago

Sweet write-up MT45, I'm loving my premium! I'm bone stock setting wise and have had zero sdtm with Gene's Demon head so happy with that. I swapped out a few songs & graphics with pinball browser & looking forward to how things develop.

#162 4 years ago

Joined the club this week with a pro and am loving it! Great flow, shots, and art, if this thing gets the code it deserves it'll be a classic.

Quick question: where can I get a spinning disc protector? Only seeing the smallest amount of black gunk right now, but would like to take care of it sooner rather than later.

#163 4 years ago

How do you go about updating the code?

#164 4 years ago

image.jpeg

image_1.jpeg

#165 4 years ago

Great post MT45!! Couldn't have made a better one. I'm curious what people's opinions are on the pop bumpers? The more I play it the more irritated I get with them. Those are the biggest delay in game play for me. It takes no skill whatsoever to hit them. I actually try shooting a skill shot and try to avoid them because I'm tired of all the random drains I get. I've considered removing the center post to give the ball another exit but haven't done so yet. Moving the Paul flasher makes a huge difference and I highly recommend it. And yes that right ramp is a VERY difficult shot. I still haven't found the sweet spot on the left flipper to make that shot consistently. The Starchild area is actually much easier for me to hit. I can nail it about 60% of the time.

#166 4 years ago
Quoted from Fast-Ed:

How do you go about updating the code?

PINBALL GAME SOFTWARE UPDATE INSTRUCTIONS

1) Download the latest code for your game by visiting
http://www.sternpinball.com/game-code
and following the links to the software update
file for your specific game model.
2) Place game software update file (GAMENAME-VERSION.spv)
into the root directory of a blank FAT32-formatted USB flash drive.
Do not place more than one .spv files at a time in the root directory
of the USB flash drive.
3) Use backbox power switch to turn off game.
4) Plug the USB flash drive into a CPU board USB connector at CN20 or CN21.
5) Turn the game on.
6) The game will automatically begin the software update and the following
message will be displayed: "APPLYING UPDATE PLEASE WAIT".
IMPORTANT: DO NOT turn the pinball machine off while this message
is displayed. This message may remain on the screen a long period of time.
7) When the display indicates "UPDATE COMPLETE", turn the game off.
8) Remove the USB flash drive from the CPU board.
9) Turn the game on to play pinball!

#167 4 years ago

Cool thanks. Ed

#168 4 years ago

I am a huge Kiss fan and I still do not own this game!!! It bothers me, but it seems like Stern left this code for dead......the Walking Dead!

#169 4 years ago

Great write up, MT45! I'm still loving my premium. In the spirit of the thread title and my first post, I have no regrets and will not bitch about the code, BUT.. I will calmly point out that the code is waaaaay off complete. I am lucky I have a big enough collection that if I want good code I have plenty of other options.

So for now, KISS is a great place to settle in for a fun bash around on a FANTASTIC looking and sounding machine. Mastering the hurry ups is fun, and that right ramp alone is going to make you a better player.

#170 4 years ago

Yup.... ditto.

#171 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

I am a huge Kiss fan and I still do not own this game!!! It bothers me, but it seems like Stern left this code for dead......a Walking Dead!

If you're a huge fan, you will simply love this game! I would expect a code update soon ...

#172 4 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

If you're a huge fan, you will simply love this game! I would expect a code update soon ...

It happened with ST, TWD and now probably KISS. How on earth can the game go so unfinished for 6+ months if the programmer is not working on it full time? Is this going to be another ST where another programmer has to bail LR out for not finishing a game he started?

Rob

#173 4 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

How on earth can the game go so unfinished for 6+ months if the programmer is not working on it full time?

I agree especially for a pin that sold so well. The code right now is way too basic and needs an update big time. Not sure whats going on either. Hope to see a big update soon.

#174 4 years ago

I think a big update is just around the corner. Someone from Stern watches these boards and knows us KISS owners are moderately pissed at the lack of updates.

#175 4 years ago

I think a big update is just around the corner. Someone from Stern watches these boards and knows us KISS owners are moderately pissed at the lack of updates.

Stern is missing out on sales because I refuse to buy a pin that is not finished.

#176 4 years ago

Stern is missing out on sales because I refuse to buy a pin that is not finished.

I absolutely concur. In a bigger collection it might not be so bad, but if this was someones only game, I could imagine them getting quite frustrated.

Rob

#177 4 years ago

I still can't believe that they allowed Ace and Peter to be all over the pin. They are on the pops, the translite, and the solo art on the cabinet. Speaking of the solo art, I wish Gene and Paul left theirs as is. Theirs is new and they actually look much older than Ace and Peters. The solo album art is very good, it still stands up all these years later.

#178 4 years ago

I thought the translite and playfield looked more like Eric and Tommy. Especially Eric on the translite. Maybe it's just me though.

#179 4 years ago

I absolutely love my LE. With that being said, it took me MONTHS to get it where it is right now, not so much with the mods, but with repairs, defects and assembly line screw ups with this pin. Anyone who has remotely glanced at my thread on KISS LE #151 would concur that if an average joe or first time buyer received my pin, they would have had to send it back. I do not know of any other pin with so many KISSUES than this one. HECK, when Stern tech support references my threads here on pin side on how to fix a known issue with its game and does nothing to resolve it, the very least would be to stay on top of the code issue. I can understand why people are buying those "Where's The Code Stern" shirts. I apologize, I do not mean to come off as a whiner or bashing Stern, I am just getting a little tired of having to resolve so many KISSUES of late. PLEASE! DO NOT STOP PINSIDE! Continue to message me about all your KISSUES and I will do my best to assist anyone with their KISSUES RESOLVED. I am here to help out anyway I can. I have no doubt, once I receive my GOT LE I will be assisting there as well. No worries KISS owners, when the code update arrives I will be more than glad to assist anyone with future KISSUES. I just wish Stern would throw me a friggin bone with an early code update....LOL!

b53817e42aef8f05141a4018527babfd1733384ced33fb9f97a8a6378c3318ac.jpg

#180 4 years ago

What pisses me off the most is we got the laziest programmer of all time on Kiss, Lonnie!! Why couldn't we have gotten Lyman!!! He would have made the game with a special Gene Simmons wizard mode, "Groupie Bang." Where you collect kiss groupies from all around the world by making shots......red heads, blondes, brunettes, Asians, Italians.......

#181 4 years ago

[Lyman] would have made the game with a special Gene Simmons wizard mode, "Groupie Bang." Where you collect kiss groupies from all around the world by making shots......red heads, blondes, brunettes, Asians, Italians.......

Maybe that is why there are cities in the game Perhaps this goes along with the "colossal" bonus... and make it a multiball where where each ramp or other special shots collects or lights a city and then hitting gene gives the "polaroid snapshot"

Has anyone collected all the code suggestions (for making the game deeper) in one place?

I'd love to see something related to collecting all the status lights in the center of the playfield (another multiball)...

I also like the idea of stacking... but don't think starchild and demon should stack so not many options there... But maybe during a multiball you could spell KISS or ARMY to multiply jackpots?

And what about the ability to light the status lights white the first time, then another color the second time through, etc... so that they somehow build within a ball (like spelling KISS one x makes KISS Combo 1x, but spelling a 2nd time on same ball makes 3x, and 3rd time makes 5x... - same for ARMY). Note: This is already implemented for pop bumpers but indicated via changing pop bumper color and score IIRC so that would only need to be implemented on status lights...

And perhaps some "super combo" like getting the 4 band member shots all in a row with no other switch hits...
(which now that I've typed that seems impossible since the pop bumpers and the star area are random exit areas... though perhaps a timer from exiting those areas could be used to compensate. For example: Right Orbit to center ramp to right ramp to star child area...

#182 4 years ago

I have the faith that the code will catch up. The layout is just so good and the game seems to have sold really well.

#183 4 years ago

Need help.

The DEMON jackpot. How do I increase that?

#184 4 years ago
Quoted from capguntrooper:

I absolutely love my LE. With that being said, it took me MONTHS to get it where it is right now, not so much with the mods, but with repairs, defects and assembly line screw ups with this pin. Anyone who has remotely glanced at my thread on KISS LE #151 would concur that if an average joe or first time buyer received my pin, they would have had to send it back. I do not know of any other pin with so many KISSUES than this one. HECK, when Stern tech support references my threads here on pin side on how to fix a known issue with its game and does nothing to resolve it, the very least would be to stay on top of the code issue. I can understand why people are buying those "Where's The Code Stern" shirts. I apologize, I do not mean to come off as a whiner or bashing Stern, I am just getting a little tired of having to resolve so many KISSUES of late. PLEASE! DO NOT STOP PINSIDE! Continue to message me about all your KISSUES and I will do my best to assist anyone with their KISSUES RESOLVED. I am here to help out anyway I can. I have no doubt, once I receive my GOT LE I will be assisting there as well. No worries KISS owners, when the code update arrives I will be more than glad to assist anyone with future KISSUES. I just wish Stern would throw me a friggin bone with an early code update....LOL!

b53817e42aef8f05141a4018527babfd1733384ced33fb9f97a8a6378c3318ac.jpg

after 5 months of walking dead pin down, now my kiss le is down. 2 weeks now, I was sent a new memory card, that did not work waiting for a fix. the game is frozen only shows stern on the display. my pin kiss le has also had numerous issues I have had to repair. it should have never shipped imho. I cant see how it passed "inspection".
hope to get a code update, the game was getting very stale before it broke.

#185 4 years ago
Quoted from robotron:

after 5 months of Walking Dead pin down, now my kiss le is down. 2 weeks now, I was sent a new memory card, that did not work waiting for a fix. the game is frozen only shows stern on the display. my pin kiss le has also had numerous issues I have had to repair. it should have never shipped imho. I cant see how it passed "inspection".
hope to get a code update, the game was getting very stale before it broke.

Make them send you a new spike board, I wonder if wwe has this many issues

#186 4 years ago

Still dealing with my spinning disc motor problem even though they sent another. I refuse to accept one with the first run rubber disc that shits all over the playfield. Mine came with an upgraded disc and that's what I should get. Been 6 weeks and Stern's emails have stopped. Don't usually like taking issues public but if you're gonna jerk me around I'll tell everyone I know.

#187 4 years ago

Two quick questions:

1) My disk spins but the ball just kind of dribbles out of there...Is it supposed to or should it be firing out with some speed?

2) Got the Mezelmods KISS backglass mod...AWESOME. But, it is very choppy as it fades out since its LED...Any way to make the fade smoother?

Thanks

#188 4 years ago

The disc is kind of a letdown. Mine mostly just puts a spin on the ball. A disc protector doesn't make much difference. It's still kinda dribbles out like you said.

#189 4 years ago

Still dealing with my spinning disc motor problem even though they sent another. I refuse to accept one with the first run rubber disc that shits all over the playfield. Mine came with an upgraded disc and that's what I should get. Been 6 weeks and Stern's emails have stopped. Don't usually like taking issues public but if you're gonna jerk me around I'll tell everyone I know.

Contact Chas as he has been a big help with me.

Quoted from Pinfactory2000:

Two quick questions:
1) My disk spins but the ball just kind of dribbles out of there...Is it supposed to or should it be firing out with some speed?
2) Got the Mezelmods KISS backglass mod...AWESOME. But, it is very choppy as it fades out since its LED...Any way to make the fade smoother?
Thanks

Might be the brand of LED Mez uses, not sure how you would make a fade option since the lighting is either power on or off. How is it choppy? My version is not choppy at all

#190 4 years ago

Maybe OP should change title to "NO RAGRETS" again, love my LE, but this pin made me work to get it bullet proof.

b4d39b2962f7e7ac23159684cd651356.jpg

#191 4 years ago

I made a video tutorial about a month ago. Maybe some of you might enjoy this.
Cheers.

#192 4 years ago

Contact Chas as he has been a big help with me.

Might be the brand of LED Mez uses, not sure how you would make a fade option since the lighting is either power on or off. How is it choppy? My version is not choppy at all

As the backbox KISS 'fade' out it isnt super smooth...Its choppy...Kind of like a strobe. LED Strips can have different intensity levels making it appear to fade out. I assume thats what they did.

Do you have the MEZ version?

#193 4 years ago

Contact Chas as he has been a big help with me

I've been working with Chas. Hes been fine up til the point I insisted there's different disc quality on their machines.

#194 4 years ago

Our LE has been pretty solid. Only that one ball hang up in gene's head so far. I need to pull the audit to see how many plays, but the playfield is definitely getting black marks all over it.

#195 4 years ago

Are u using a disc protector on your demon spinner?

#196 4 years ago

Give us some more code Stern haven't played mine for weeks.

#197 4 years ago

Nope. Machine is bone stock.

#198 4 years ago

Hey thundergod76. I've unplugged and removed the disc mech., (4 screws pretty easy), then cleaned my original disc, with alcohol, three times so far. I did the exact same thing when I got my TRON many moons ago and the black marks were a problem there too. Every time I do this, the rubber residue left on the balls has decreased dramatically. I think if I do this once more I should be saying goodbye to the black marks on the playfield, which are pretty much a non issue at the moment anyway. I have a first run LE with the original disc material I would presume.

As an added bonus, a well cleaned rubber disc does shoot the ball out with more action, especially on TRON!
Give it a shot?

#199 4 years ago

Glad to hear it! Stern did say the mess would subside after a break in period. The first run messy discs have a sticky gel like material on them. They attract dirt like a magnet. My hands were getting dirty just handling it. The upgraded discs seem to be of a much harder material...but they don't seem to throw the ball as well.

#200 4 years ago

I'm wondering if putting something on there with more 'bite' (whirlwind decal??) would help? The dribble out is so lame.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 21.00
$ 35.00
$ 16.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Davie, FL
There are 1115 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 23.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside