Topic Stats

• 8 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by djblouw
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 3 years ago

I'll preface this by stating that I am not capable of doing any of the coding. But there are now some potential options for getting this done.

In a thread related to Flash Gordon code re-write, it's been brought up that Kings of Steel could use a code update:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/flash-gordon-2021-re-imagined-code-for-bally-flash-gordon-1981#post-6167235

And since KoS is affectionately referenced as Kings of Right Target, here's the chance to get some ideas together

#2 3 years ago

My first suggestion was to make the right target (3's cards) not lit (maybe worth 1000 points per hit) at the start of the game.

Once you complete the first card (drop target), which is the 10 card, the right target lights for 20k (the first green light). You can collect this, then the 20k light turns off. To re-light it, you need to complete the next set of cards (Jacks).

Right target would only be worth 20K until you complete the suite, and move to the next one. The the right target gets lit for 40k. And so on.

The center target could still function the same for each hit to the right target (regardless if it's lit or not).

What other thoughts are out there?

#3 3 years ago

So currently, the 3's target is worth 20k at the start of the game?

#4 3 years ago

I only wish I had time to do it. I have a Kings Of Steel that I plan to restore. And even though I like the simplicity of the right target, it does have issues. Maybe I'll get lucky and by the time I get around to working on it, someone else would have done the programming work on it.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from slochar:

So currently, the 3's target is worth 20k at the start of the game?

Yes, I believe so. I'll need to double check. EDIT: Yes, starts at 20k

Every time you hit the target it increase the value 20k/40/k, etch, up to special & extra ball.

(I should be able to get an updated program tested, but will have to use a friends rom burner)

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from DaveH:

And even though I like the simplicity of the right target, it does have issues

I agree. And when I play it, I don't spam the right target (so I'm not playing for score). I always try to work my way through the suits

#7 3 years ago

Okay, so here's another crazy concept:

The ball has to go into the saucer to qualify a mode. Hitting the right target starts a mode. Hitting pop bumpers cycles between which mode is ready.

Ace card
First mode: Drop target frenzy (timed mode)
Right target raises all the drop targets
You have a set amount of time (15 seconds?) to hit as many DT's as you can. When you hit one down, it then comes back up.
After the time has expired all drop targets go down, end of mode

Club card
Second mode: Jackpot builder (risk vs reward mode)
Top left stand up targets (2's cards) are hit to build jackpot. This can be done as many times as you want
To collect jackpot hit the center target, end of mode

Diamond card
Third mode: Count up (skill mode)
Drop target are sequenced like in the original code (10's, then Jacks, then Queens, then Kings, then aces)
[saucer and inlane switches would drop a DT, like original code]
Once all cards have been cleared, right target lights for extra ball/special/points, end of mode

Spade card
Fourth mode: Kings of right target
Right outlane gate opens at start of mode
First hit to right target awards 20k, then each hit after would be 1000pts
Going over any of the in-lane or out-lane switches light the right target for 40k
Once 40k collected, each hit after would be 2000pts
Continue this trend until the 80k is completed, end of mode

Wizard mode
All four modes must be played
Right target starts the wizard mode
All lights associated with switches in the game must be hit (all top roll over nubs, saucer, 2's targets, all drop target, all switches behind drop targets, center target)
Once all are lit, the right target must be hit 6 times (once for each light leading to the target). Some ridiculous amount of points are awarded that make the score roll over.

end game.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from djblouw:

Okay, so here's another crazy concept:
The ball has to go into the saucer to qualify a mode. Hitting the right target starts a mode. Hitting pop bumpers cycles between which mode is ready.
Ace card
First mode: Drop target frenzy (timed mode)
Right target raises all the drop targets
You have a set amount of time (15 seconds?) to hit as many DT's as you can. When you hit one down, it then comes back up.
After the time has expired all drop targets go down, end of mode
Club card
Second mode: Jackpot builder (risk vs reward mode)
Top left stand up targets (2's cards) are hit to build jackpot. This can be done as many times as you want
To collect jackpot hit the center target, end of mode
Diamond card
Third mode: Count up (skill mode)
Drop target are sequenced like in the original code (10's, then Jacks, then Queens, then Kings, then aces)
[saucer and inlane switches would drop a DT, like original code]
Once all cards have been cleared, right target lights for extra ball/special/points, end of mode
Spade card
Fourth mode: Kings of right target
Right outlane gate opens at start of mode
First hit to right target awards 20k, then each hit after would be 1000pts
Going over any of the in-lane or out-lane switches light the right target for 40k
Once 40k collected, each hit after would be 2000pts
Continue this trend until the 80k is completed, end of mode
Wizard mode
All four modes must be played
Right target starts the wizard mode
All lights associated with switches in the game must be hit (all top roll over nubs, saucer, 2's targets, all drop target, all switches behind drop targets, center target)
Once all are lit, the right target must be hit 6 times (once for each light leading to the target). Some ridiculous amount of points are awarded that make the score roll over.
end game.

To add to this:

If a mode is completed/finished, a bonus is added (2x, then 3x, then 4x, then 5x). The bonus carries over from ball-to-ball.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 199.95
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 85.00
$ 10.00
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 45.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 10.00
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 45.00
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kings-of-steel-code-re-write and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.