IMG_1802.JPG
IMG_1801.JPG
IMG_1800.JPG
IMG_1799.JPG
IMG_1797.JPG
IMG_1796.JPG
gtbtrans_KQ.jpg
#1 11 years ago

Received a '65 Kings and Queens. Hooked it up and had my daughter play the game.
Unplugged the 3-pronged (acutally had two; one broken) power cord from the wall. When I went back to plug it in, I think I plugged it in upside down accidentally; given the posts on the cords were similar inside and fit into my wall jack. Now the game won't light up at all. No hum, nothing.
Didn't see any blown fuses.

#2 11 years ago

First replace the cord with a proper 3 prong.

Second. Test your fuses with a DMM . Just looking doesnt always work

#3 11 years ago

I appreciate your response.
I'll check fuses with a DMM and look at replacing the cord.

Are there any other nuances? A game had just finished, I opened the coin door trying to add credits, then unplugged and plugged back in and got nothing to light up. Not sure if there are stuck switches, a stepper or something didn't re-set, or if there are any other things that might be preventing the game from powering up.

But I agree, let's look further with a DMM and see where the current stops flowing.
I'll report back what I find.

#4 11 years ago

Check your breaker box (gfi?) ive popped them already. Test for juice w/a meter at transformer. The meter dont lie!

#5 11 years ago

Another good thing to use is a non-contact electrical tester they work well.

#6 11 years ago

Make sure you have credits or its set to free play. Also try hitting the left flipper.

Ken

#7 11 years ago

Checked power, cord, transormer and all fuses.
Score reads 000, credit reads 1.
Checked coin door for obstructions.
Tried left flipper and the right as well.
Still no lights,hum, or anything from game.
Weird to see it die just from unplugging.
I don't think plugging it in wrong had anything to do with it since it's DC.

#8 11 years ago

So when plugged in the transformer has power?

#9 11 years ago

Yep.

#10 11 years ago

Didn't happen to fry all the gi bulbs maybe? That's normally a single circuit off a single fuse

Maybe fried the S relay?

#11 11 years ago

I doubt plugging it in upside down did anything to the machine. A lot of the 60s games I've had don't even have polarized plugs on them and even if you wire them backwards they still work.

Did you unplug the machine mid-game? I wonder if the score motor is at an in-between state. I recently shut my 1960 Jungle down while my grandson was playing and had the same issue upon trying to restart. I would turn your machine on and manually close the hold relay and see what happens. That's what worked for me.
Alex

#12 11 years ago

1. Check your slam switches 2.Adding credits to the game without using a coin, and bending the fragile coin switches together will send the game into a non-operational mode. 3. Manually set the player one score reels to anything other than zero. This allows you to see if the game is able to reset the score reels to zero. Remember if score reels cannot go to zero, the game will never do a full reset/start. Lift the playfield and manually spin the score motor a bit. Does the score motor turn on?

#13 11 years ago

Have you tried pushing the start button? I've got a Buckaroo that doesn't light up after being plugged in until you press the start button. This might seem obvious, but it threw me off the first time I plugged my Buckaroo in.

#14 11 years ago

Additionally check the zero position switch on the credit wheel, and make sure it is closed (telling the game that there ARE credits.) If this switch is dirty or mis-adjusted, regardless of the number of credits showing, the game won't start. QUOTE>>>>[email protected] (Clay Harrell), 01/05/12.

#15 11 years ago

Fuse holder?
with game in on position take a long cabinet makers screw driver with an insulated handle of course and press lightly at the fuse clamps - if the light flicker you have found the problem
hope this helps

#16 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

So when plugged in the transformer has power?

What voltage did you get? Is there voltage after the fuse?

#17 11 years ago

Got about 50 and 6 on ac off the tranformer lugs towards relays and gi.
All fuses have continuity. Looked over relays, seem good.
Can't get credits to reset. Have plays set to 3.

#18 11 years ago

Do you have a schematic for your machine?
Looking at my schematic, for a different machine, the coin door lights and the name lights on the back box should be on. The playfield lights need the TX or Q Re to be energized. The TX is the interlock on the Tilt RE and the Q is the game over RE.
If you are not getting any lights at all, you need to prove that you are getting power (6v) past the fuses. My schematic shows 2 ten amp fuses, but you may only have one. Once you have confirmed that you have power past the GI fuses, find the same colour wire on the Q RE and see if it is open or closed. See if the lights come on when you manual change the Relay. Check the Tilt Re is not jammed.

#19 11 years ago

I don't have a schematic for it, if anyone does, please post a link.
I will focus on the the relays you mention, and see if I get power past the General Illumination fuses. Thanks for the suggestions and all of you who have posted.

#20 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

First replace the cord with a proper 3 prong.
Second. Test your fuses with a DMM . Just looking doesnt always work

I agree with replace the cord. Did you ever think you could get hot (feed) but not the (return) neutral , that cord should be checked for continuity . Did you check that?

#21 11 years ago

Since the cord is old, going to put the cord issue to rest with the installation of new one.
Will also check for current beyond the Gi fuse, and check the relays you mentioned.

#22 11 years ago

Looks like the transformer. No voltage with probe on common plug and the other probe on the 6v, 25v, or 50v plugs. I was testing with probe on input lead incorrectly, initially.

#23 11 years ago

So new Trannie requried?

#24 11 years ago

:stop:Did you check power cord for neutral continuity?

Quoted from brobra:Looks like the transformer. No voltage with probe on common plug and the other probe on the 6v, 25v, or 50v plugs. I was testing with probe on input lead incorrectly, initially.

#25 11 years ago

I belive I have neutral continuity on the power cord (both the old and the new one).
I've uploaded a picture with a visual explanation of my previous post.

gtbtrans_KQ.jpggtbtrans_KQ.jpg

#26 11 years ago

Let`s try this: In the 1st pic this is the transformer i have. The 2nd pic is the button you will press to check your wiring. NOTE: this is all done without power. The 3rd is your meter connected to the plug NOT pressing the replay button. The 4th pic is with the replay button pressed on showing continuity Let me know what you get for a reading >>>>Oh yeah put credits manually on the pin 1st !

IMG_1796.JPGIMG_1796.JPG IMG_1797.JPGIMG_1797.JPG IMG_1799.JPGIMG_1799.JPG IMG_1800.JPGIMG_1800.JPG

#27 11 years ago

If that works for you then try this >>press your 115 volt coil lock with<(this controls everything) ,Plastic glass stick, popsicle stick,ect something insulated. As in Pic 1 > That should turn backbox lighting on >>> Pic 2> assuming bulbs are good

#28 11 years ago

1&2

IMG_1801.JPGIMG_1801.JPG IMG_1802.JPGIMG_1802.JPG

#29 11 years ago

BTW that should engage on it`s own once pressed.

#30 11 years ago

Thanks Pin-it. I gave it whirl, but got no continuity on that test.
Unplugged, put an EM probe on each of power cord... not continuity in Ohm setting, no change when pressed replay button on the coin door.

#31 11 years ago

Its gotta be a Bad cord or Fuse? Install a new cord because in your original post you said it worked until you plugged it in backwards ( sounds like the plug is the offender ) Just make sure when you rewire it you correctly polarize it. ( The narrow blade on your new plug is the hot which goes to the fuse and the wider one goes to the trans.ALSO noticed on your transformer someone hooked a wire on the high terminal you should hook that wire to normal terminal unless>>> http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0229.html This Too>> http://user.xmission.com/~daina/tips/pub/tip0326.html

#32 11 years ago

Pin-it, in pic 3 & 4, where is the yellow jumper connected? I see one end on the cord plug, but don't see where the other end is connected.

#33 11 years ago
Quoted from brobra:

Pin-it, in pic 3 & 4, where is the yellow jumper connected? I see one end on the cord plug, but don't see where the other end is connected.

The yellow gator clip is attached to my black lead to my meter ,just hard to hold a camera and keep the wires on it .

#34 11 years ago
Quoted from brobra:

I belive I have neutral continuity on the power cord (both the old and the new one).
I've uploaded a picture with a visual explanation of my previous post.

Sorry, you did say that you were not connected to the 50 v

#35 11 years ago

Ok. Yes, yeah, that's correct. I'm not connected to the 50v. Double checked my power cord with a continuity test to be sure. I have continuity through both wires. I can check fuses again.

#36 11 years ago

I've never seen a transformer go bad. I'd recheck the solder joint or power from the
cord

#37 11 years ago

After the power exits the main transformer, it goes to a "hold" or "lock" relay in the (I think it is on the front right side from playing position) bottom panel of your game. Do you see where it is? This relay usually has just one or two switches. If these contacts are dirty, no power will get to the rest of the game. Look for the most burnt relay in the bottom of the game cabinet, and that is probably the hold/lock relay. When this relay is activated the entire time game should have power. Clean the contacts.(file lightly with POWER OFF!) Then with the power on, manually activate the relay (it should lock in)as shown in my 2nd to last posted picture. If it locks in then go ahead and press your replay button and if does not work then most likely it is in that reset bank (rear left hand side from playing position)the one with wing nuts attached on the ends . This is where the fun starts! There is a s/start relay that needs to located? When found let me know i will get into it further. (1959 Gottlieb Sweet Sioux experience still active in my head ,must have had 16 broken solder joints + previous owners wire meddling in addition to what your going through ,but the majority of the battle was in that relay bank w/S start relay & that long metal reset bar ,lots of trial & error. In a wrap i got schooled ,but everything works as it should ,now onto cosmetics.

#38 11 years ago

BTW i could use some photos of the K&A easier to diagnose on my end,rather than >>>> http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1381&picno=54264

#40 11 years ago

Kinda looks blurry like this

IMG_0564.JPGIMG_0564.JPG

#41 11 years ago
Quoted from way2wyrd:

Oh common Pin-It Just Zoom in!!

Noted: but why strain the eye`s? (A better pic a better fix)

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kings-and-queens-wont-power-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.