Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

On my Kings & Queens, the "special" light between the middle bumper and the ace of spades never comes on. What does it take to light that special?

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from Scottflips:

On my Kings & Queens, the "special" light between the middle bumper and the ace of spades never comes on. What does it take to light that special?

The flier for Kings and Queens states something like, "Lights for Special Mystery Score".

#3 5 years ago

Pretty sure it’s a light that toggles on/off after completing the club suit. Similar to how the lights for the main specials work.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

Pretty sure it’s a light that toggles on/off after completing the club suit. Similar to how the lights for the main specials work.

yes, make sure your zero to 9 units is stepping properly. and then there is a lead daisy-chained thru the 4 club relays that should enable. Before Howard says it... do you want a post of the particular area of the cir diagram or would that do you any good?

#5 5 years ago

I will check the 1-9 stepper first, then check the schematic. I have never seen that light come on before, so I just assumed it was a sequence I never completed.

#6 5 years ago

Well, I have to ask, are you sure the bulb for it is good?

#7 5 years ago

Bulb is good. Didn't check the socket, though. I was just wondering if anyone who owns the game could tell me what sequence it takes to light that special. It looks like dropping a ball down the ace of spades rollover is all it takes to win the special once it's lit.

#8 5 years ago

Try complete the entire card sequence and see if it scores a replay through the top arch ace rollover.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from Vic_Camp:

Try complete the entire card sequence and see if it scores a replay through the top arch ace rollover.

yea complete the clubs then it will come on with a liberal/medium setting of the bumper control AND a certain location of the 0-9 stepper AND the score motor at 1 of 3 locations. They make it tough!

(ie one contact on each of the 4 clubs, contact on B, bumper control (0-9 stepper) then 3D)

#10 5 years ago

I have the game and will confirm that Pinhead52 has it exactly. He explains it in posts 4 and 9.

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

I have the game and will confirm that Pinhead52 has it exactly. He explains it in posts 4 and 9.

lee, bet you a dollar to a doughnut that ken has it right...
i did not cheat, and look at the print.

#12 5 years ago

That special lamp as well as the four hole special lamps have a large sand resistor wired in series with the lamp.
It could be that the resistor is open.
I've eliminated that problem by bypassing the resistor and installing a 24V lamp in the socket (number of the lamp escapes me).
As was mentioned above, that special is enabled by completing the clubs suit sequence, but lights only intermittently and it's frequency is controlled by the 0-9 unit.

1 week later
#13 5 years ago

If the special goes through the 0-9 unit, it definitely has a 1 of those 10 watt sand resistors in series to the lite. Finding bad resistors is not uncommon at all.

2 weeks later
#14 5 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

That special lamp as well as the four hole special lamps have a large sand resistor wired in series with the lamp.
It could be that the resistor is open.
I've eliminated that problem by bypassing the resistor and installing a 24V lamp in the socket (number of the lamp escapes me).
As was mentioned above, that special is enabled by completing the clubs suit sequence, but lights only intermittently and it's frequency is controlled by the 0-9 unit.

So I got to tinkering with Kings & Queens today. The 1-9 stepper relay is working properly. I took it apart, cleaned the contacts and adjusted it so it steps properly and lights the bumpers and lights the Ace and Queen holes for a special (when all of the lights are lit).

What the game doesn't do is light the Jacks and Kings holes or light the Special When Lit light. The game does award specials randomly when you hit the Ace of Spades rollover and all four club-suited cards are made. I suspect that I have bad resistors.

I'm pretty good at troubleshooting, adjusting and cleaning games, but I'm not good with reading a schematic or testing with a voltmeter to check continuity. Can I just go buy any old 75 ohm resistors and solder them in, or do I need to buy something special (the game has very large, flat resistors protected with a rough coating on the outside. I suspect they are the original resistors.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from Scottflips:

So I got to tinkering with Kings & Queens today. The 1-9 stepper relay is working properly. I took it apart, cleaned the contacts and adjusted it so it steps properly and lights the bumpers and lights the Ace and Queen holes for a special (when all of the lights are lit).
What the game doesn't do is light the Jacks and Kings holes or light the Special When Lit light. The game does award specials randomly when you hit the Ace of Spades rollover and all four club-suited cards are made. I suspect that I have bad resistors.
I'm pretty good at troubleshooting, adjusting and cleaning games, but I'm not good with reading a schematic or testing with a voltmeter to check continuity. Can I just go buy any old 75 ohm resistors and solder them in, or do I need to buy something special (the game has very large, flat resistors protected with a rough coating on the outside. I suspect they are the original resistors.

They are the original 75 ohm, 10 watt resistors, and they often fail. There are replacements available. Check with the Pinball Resource. It's possible that the lamp sockets are faulty. It's a common problem as well. Sometimes wiggling or twisting the socket will make it work again, but that's usually only temporary. Hard soldering the socket base to the bracket and soldering the wire directly to the center pin will usually fix bad sockets. Otherwise, replace them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Murrells Inlet, SC
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kings-amp-queens-special?hl=runbikeskilee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.