(Topic ID: 249766)

Kingpin G relay resetting

By tscottn

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi, I drained my last post on this topic because the symptoms have now changed and I have found what I think is to be causing the issue but im not sure how to resolve it.

So in my last post I mentioned that the G relay ( 5000 pt sequence completed ) is randomly de-energizing during game play in 5 ball play only. I have now found the culprit to this.. Whenever both flipper buttons are held down, 90% of the time it will de-energize the G relay to the off state. Both flippers must be held down for it to do this and it happens almost all the time.

I checked the voltage to the transformer itself, and it is 28.4v, when I hold the flippers down it drops to about 28.1 or so but never less than 28.0v

This only happens in 5 ball play and also I have 4 yellow dot flipper coils installed, but this problem was happening when I first got the machine with the normal coils installed. The machine was set on high tap when I first got it as well, but now it is on normal. So I dont think its a voltage issue coming off the transformer as other things would probably be having issues. The machine is working solid otherwise as this is the one issue lingering. Any suggestions on where to look would be great.

Thank you

ps.. when set to 3 ball play the issue does not happen as the G relay power is hardwired in, however I can watch the G relay click a little in 3 ball setting when I hold both flippers in which tells me that it wants to reset even in 3 ball but cant for obvious reasons..

#2 4 years ago

What happens if you put an Alligator Clip Jumper across the G relay hold switch?

#3 4 years ago

I think it could be just a coincidence that your G Relay is letting loose because of Flipper vibration. Find the switch that locks in your G Relay on your schematic as it may be just barely engaging and needs to be cleaned/re-gaped.

#4 4 years ago

To completely rule out the power line circuit, maybe try placing a jumper wire with alligator clips to connect the red wire terminal of the 15A fuse (14-F on the schematic) to the RED-WH wire that exits the zero-pos switch on the ball count unit (9.5-I on the schematic). I know you already cleaned and adjusted those switches, but EM switches can be deceiving at times.

If the dropout still occurs (in a PF up-position test) with the jumper connected, than you can be pretty certain there is no voltage drop across those switches.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kingpin-g-relay-resetting and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.