3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
#1 3 years ago

Hi, I have a 1973 Gottlieb King Pin. Today it was playing fine and I shut it off. When I turned it back on, the start button worked but it would not kick the ball out. I turned it off again and turned it back on and this time the playfield was dead. The start button does not work and I have no playfield lights. Will NOT start a game.

The backglass is lit up and I have a tilt light on. But cannot get the game to do anything. If I manually actuate the start relay it will turn I believe 1/3 of a turn but that’s it. Where to begin?

For what it’s worth (May or may not be related), the other day I noticed the ball-count lights, game over light, and match lights were not working). Not sure if that has anything to do with us as some sort of progressively worse problem.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from goldenboy232:

The start button does not work

If the Replay Button doesn't activate the Start Relay (S), Inspect and diagnose this circuit with Alligator clip jumper wires
http://www.planetimming.com/Pinball/troubleshooting/EM%20Troubleshooting.pdf
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#features
Example of a pinsider actually doing this https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/red-baron-tech-question#post-5858156

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#3 3 years ago

Thanks Howard. Before I diagnose the whole circuit, I wanted to add this bit of information: occasionally the start button will work, and all it does is move the score motor may be 1/3 of a turn and then the game does nothing else. No play field lights or anything else. I just didn’t know if that bit of information (sporadic power going from the start button to the start relay) gives you a better sense on where to focus.

Also, if you would be able to let me text you directly, maybe starting tomorrow, it would make this go a lot faster. But let me know.

#4 3 years ago

Check the anti-cheat and bounce switches, one is on the coin door and the other is on the bottom board. From the symptoms you are describing, you may possibly have intermittent contact on one or both of these switches.

Both of these switches need to be making good solid contact all the time or the game won't start, and it also won't function. That's because both the S relay and the the R (hold) relay are powered via these switches. Even if you manage to start a game, as soon one of these switches loses contact, the R relay will drop open and the game will go into tilt.

If the switches are good, check the jones plug and socket connection between the bottom board and the front door, because the anti-cheat switch wiring on the front door goes through this connector.

- TimMe

#5 3 years ago

One other issue related to my previous post is that the R relay coil itself may have failed. This coil is on all the time, it runs very hot, and it is known to burn out after decades of use. So you'll want to check your R relay coil and confirm that it is OK, if you haven't already.

- TimMe

#6 3 years ago

If you'd like to try a phone call, send me your cellphone number in a private message and I'll make a first reply with a text message.

#7 3 years ago

Check the fuse holders .
Raff

#8 3 years ago

Thanks guys - I’ll start checking all of RBI’s after work and will let you know. Howard I’ll send my phone number if I get stuck - thank you.

Tim, good to hear from you! (This is Mark, formerly in Gig Harbor).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/king-pin-help-needed and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.