Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by rumble555
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

When I press the start button, the scores reset but the flippers don't work and the ball doesn't eject. There is a loud buzzing coming from the coil that controls the ball count. It appears to be stuck on and I'm not sure why. I can manually rotate the back of the unit to game over. If it's related, the alternating light function was not working well before this happened. The lights would briefly alternate but then go back to the right outhole lit position. Everything else was working correctly. I don't have a schematic.

#2 10 years ago

It's broken
Sell it , I buy it !!

#3 10 years ago

Calm down Robert, I think it's the EM.

#4 10 years ago

Check the ball trough switch under the playfield and see if it's stuck closed, or if the back tabs are shorted together.

If that checks out OK, if you take the ball out of the outhole, does the ball count unit still stick on?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

Sell it , I buy it !!

Shipping would be a killer!

Quoted from o-din:

Yeah, it's a '73 Gottlieb King Pin.

Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Check the ball trough switch under the playfield and see if it's stuck closed, or if the back abs are shorted together.

If that checks out OK, if you take the ball out of the outhole, does the ball count unit still stick on?

Thank you, I think you're right about the ball trough switch. The ball was actually getting stuck in the trough (I thought I'd forgotten to put the ball back and put another ball in which ejected the first ball) When I cleared the trough, no more buzzing. I appreciate your help. Do you know what might be causing the alternating light issue? The alternating relay appears fine, I was thinking it's the mini stepper in the backbox.

#6 10 years ago

Do you have the schematic for your machine? All so don't allow the coil to get to hot. Is the ball count unit resetting to zero?

#7 10 years ago

I was going to ask if it was the older Williams version, but I guess that is manual lifter, so never mind!
(Odin, like your new avatar!)

#8 10 years ago

You're welcome.

The right/left outhole lights are controlled by a make/break switch on the Alternating Relay (Q). The Q relay is directly controlled by a switch on the 00-90 unit (F), which I think is one of those mini steppers with a switch that rides on the cam.

So, need to check if Q is activating/deactivating at all first. If it is, then check the make/break switch there. If Q doesn't change at all, then check the mini stepper and see if it's moving, and check the switch that rides on the cam. That's what opens/closes the switch. Just like normal steppers, the mini steppers work best if they've been rebuilt/cleaned, little bit of SuperLube on the wipers, etc.

The schematic is a fine tool to have available with any EM game though.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Chrisbee:

Do you have the schematic for your machine? All so don't allow the coil to get to hot. Is the ball count unit resetting to zero?

No, I don't have a schematic. The ball count's working fine now...just have to fine tune that mini stepper to get the alternating feature right.

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

So, need to check if Q is activating/deactivating at all first. If it is, then check the make/break switch there. If Q doesn't change at all, then check the mini stepper and see if it's moving, and check the switch that rides on the cam. That's what opens/closes the switch. Just like normal steppers, the mini steppers work best if they've been rebuilt/cleaned, little bit of SuperLube on the wipers, etc.

The alternating lights function some of the time, so I'll try adjusting the mini stepper. Q seems to be activating.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Dang it , got excited immediately
THE King pin is on my wish list
If only pigs could fly !

2 months later
#12 10 years ago

Hi. I'm working on a recreation of this pin for a virtual pinball program called Visual Pinball. I've seen a couple of videos of the 5 ball per play (wich is the one I want to recreate) gameplay at youtube and tried to underdstand how the pop bumpers, kickerholes, drain lanes and rounded targets lights alternates and I couldn't realize a logical pattern.

I know they switch between two different positions. One would be when the bumpers are lighted then the right kicker hole and the left drain lane are turned on too. The other is when the bupmpers lights are off, then the rounded targets lights, the left kicker hole and the right drain lane lights are on. But I couldn't tell if they switch for each x score, for hittin or passing by certain parts of the table or a combination of both things. Maybe it could be a random system and I'm screwing my head in vain.

I've been searching all the web for an answer with no success. I stumbled with this topic and I tought it should be a good place to solve my doubts. I hope that I came not too late to ask and someone could help me.

Thanks in advance.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/king-pin-ball-count-buzzing and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.