• Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_1453.JPG
100_1452.JPG
#1 10 years ago

The alternating "O" relay gets stuck on when I start a game on my '73 Gottlieb King Pin .
It only locks on when the first ball enters the shooter lane, before that, the lights for the upper outhole is on but then it goes out. It stays locked on throughout the game. Any help would be appreciated.

#2 10 years ago

I actually have a 1973 Gottlieb Hot Shot that encountered

an issue with it's alternating relay and also had me going

back to the relay that turns the alternating relay on and off

to accomadate for the alternation of the lights. Do you

have a schematic in the game? If so, look for the "10-90"

relay. The issue could consist in there... Ill send a picture

right after i upload this post, but the 10-90 unit is actually

a stepper unit, and is a very small one too. For me, when

ever 10 points is scored or the pop bumper is hit the step

per will activate and move a notch. This "notching" actvity

Also moves a small "reel" part, that is designed to close a

switch every other "notch" done in the relay, which when

that switch is closed, the alternating relay will turn on and

alternate the lights. Check to make sure that the switch is

able to close and open. This is probably most likely the

reason why it keeps getting stuck, due to that switch

alwas being closed. Ill send a picture so you know

where you are getting at...

#3 10 years ago

Here are two pictures. the first one is just showing what the relay looks like,

the second one is showing the little silver switch in between the two little

discs. Behind that switch is the reel part I was talking about...

100_1452.JPG100_1452.JPG 100_1453.JPG100_1453.JPG

#4 10 years ago

sorry I had to edit this one so it doesn't look like I spam... but really

pinside does not work great on internet explorer...

Post edited by JohnC78 : internet explorer...

#5 10 years ago

In your second picture there is a switch that follows a black cam on the spindle of the 00-90 match relay. Make sure your match unit is moving freely and that the cam is not stuck at a high spot keeping the alternating switch closed.

Mike O.
Team-EM

#6 10 years ago

yep that can be another cause as well ^

mine got jammed for a bit i had to clean out some gunky spots now it works perfectly

#7 10 years ago

Thanks John and Mike. I'll check that mini stepper relay...I'll have to research how to adjust it as it looks tricky. The alternating relay is starting to look a bit crispy and gets quite hot too.

It could have something to do with the match unit because at the end of the game, it doesn't display any 'match' numbers. It only displays 'game over'.

It might not be relevant but it also doesn't award the 'special when lit' when you drop the 10 targets 3 times.

#8 10 years ago

Those mini-stepper units are quite finicky. You need to watch the operation as it steps (manually hit a ten point switch with glass off)If this is a game just out of storage, odds are it's a bit gummed up and could use a cleaning/adjustment. Special issue is not related, I would check that full circuit on your schematic.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from JohnC78:

Check to make sure that the switch is

able to close and open. This is probably most likely the

reason why it keeps getting stuck, due to that switch

alwas being closed.

Thanks heaps JohnC78, you were right about that mini stepper. I de-gunked it and the alternating relay problem is fixed and I now get a match number at the end of the game!

Quoted from stashyboy:

Special issue is not related, I would check that full circuit on your schematic.

I don't have a schematic; they're a bit hard for me to work out. I usually just search for loose wires and other obvious problems. Any thoughts where I should look for the drop target special not working?

#10 10 years ago

oh you're welcome glad I helped!

4 months later
#11 10 years ago

Hi. I'm working on a recreation of this pin for a virtual pinball program called Visual Pinball. I've seen a couple of videos of the 5 ball per play (wich is the one I want to recreate) gameplay at youtube and tried to underdstand how the pop bumpers, kickerholes, drain lanes and rounded targets lights alternates and I couldn't realize a logical pattern.

I know they switch between two different positions. One would be when the bumpers are lighted then the right kicker hole and the left drain lane are turned on too. The other is when the bupmpers lights are off, then the rounded targets lights, the left kicker hole and the right drain lane lights are on. But I couldn't tell if they switch for each x score, for hittin or passing by certain parts of the table or a combination of both things. Maybe it could be a random system and I'm screwing my head in vain.

I've been searching all the web for an answer with no success. I stumbled with this topic and I tought I should be a good place to solve my doubts. I hope that I came not too late to ask and someone could help me.

Thanks in advance.

#12 10 years ago

It is a bit odd how it controls it. I no longer have mine set up so I am not 100% sure of everything. And I don't have a schematic to look at just now. What I do know is: The star roll over on the center of the playfield will advance the spot 1 position. Hitting a drop target, which when unlit, scores 500 points, will move the spot 5 places. But, during this scoring, the spot lamp is turned off until the score motor settles. I am pretty sure the spot moves from left to right. But I don't remember if other things that score 100 points will also cause the spot to move. I think some of the lit lanes don't light until you have completed 1 rack of targets and then, they alternate like the top holes, drain lanes. But some things are left or right, and some things are all lit, none lit (like the bumpers and 1000 spot targets as I recall). Sorry its not yet a definitive answer. But at least someone can chime in and correct me now!

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from stashyboy:

Those mini-stepper units are quite finicky. You need to watch the operation as it steps (manually hit a ten point switch with glass off)If this is a game just out of storage, odds are it's a bit gummed up and could use a cleaning/adjustment. Special issue is not related, I would check that full circuit on your schematic.

I had an issue with that AS relay on my Top Card. It wouldn't always alternate the specials. On mine, the spring on the armature plate was too strong and it wouldn't pull in far enough to ratchet the switch open and closed. The spring just needs to be strong enough to return the armature plate to its resting position. Once I corrected that issue, it works perfectly.

AS relays like that are extremely touchy. Everything has to be lined up perfectly or you get all sorts of funky stuff. On Big Indian, I was getting two match lights lit up at a time because those little wipers were just a touch out of line.

#14 10 years ago

Okay, from the schematic:

Alternator "Q" Relay is controlled by the cam switch on the 00-90 relay (so, every other time).

The 00-90 unit (Relay is advanced with every energizing of the hundreds score relay but it is fed via the Hundreds unit run out switch so it may not advance when the 100's score reel is at 0. So, sometimes scoring 500 points will only advance it 4 times.

So, anything that scores 100 can advance the spot and alternate the features in the groupings you list above.

If you want your virtual simulation to be 100% true to the original, you will also have to increment the 00-90 unit one step for every step that the 100's reel has to advance to get back to zero upon resetting a new game.

#15 10 years ago

Thank you. That explains why couldn't find out a logical pattern by looking at the videos.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 3.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/king-pin-alternating-relay-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.