(Topic ID: 315970)

King of Diamonds - Sell as project, light restore or full on?

By newmantjn

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by pinhead52
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0367 (resized).JPG
IMG_0310 (resized).JPG
IMG_8192 (resized).jpg
IMG_8184 (resized).jpg
IMG_8190 (resized).jpg
IMG_8188 (resized).jpg
IMG_8183 (resized).jpg
IMG_8189 (resized).jpg
#1 1 year ago

Next up in my queue is a pair of King of Diamonds. This machine had been on my "want" list for a bit. I found one that was a bit of a project, so I bought it. Of course within a few months another, significantly better one popped up, so of course I bought that one too. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with the second one.

I figure that I could just unload it as is? Not sure what I would get for it.

I could get it running and dialed in. Rebuild all the mechs clean it up, re-rubber it, replace all broken plastics etc. and sell it. In general terms, no paint, no touchups etc.

A full on restore. Touch up and Auto Clear the PF, maybe repaint the cabinet etc.

Obviously, it would depend on the market rate for all of the above, so I would like opinions on that as well. I enjoy the hobby and doing the restores, but I have another 40 or so games in my hoard, so I won't be running out of projects any time soon.

Opinions please? Pictures below.

IMG_8183 (resized).jpgIMG_8183 (resized).jpgIMG_8184 (resized).jpgIMG_8184 (resized).jpgIMG_8188 (resized).jpgIMG_8188 (resized).jpgIMG_8189 (resized).jpgIMG_8189 (resized).jpgIMG_8190 (resized).jpgIMG_8190 (resized).jpgIMG_8192 (resized).jpgIMG_8192 (resized).jpg
#2 1 year ago

Seems much more sellable cleaned up and working.
Full on restore probably doesn't return your effort in increased sales price.

#3 1 year ago

Release the hoard.

Lots of people out there would love the opportunity.

You do great work too!

#4 1 year ago

Yea I have pieces of a game, bottom board, head board, pf, no cab. It deep on the queue. The pf is actually with a restorer for work. My pf is at a better starting place then yours... Still a nicely done KoD fetches $3500.

Here's a restore I did 15 years ago.

IMG_0310 (resized).JPGIMG_0310 (resized).JPGIMG_0367 (resized).JPGIMG_0367 (resized).JPG
#5 1 year ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

My pf is at a better starting place then yours...

Your machine looks wonderful, and is sort of inspiring me to go full on. I prefer original, if I can do it, so my keeper is still the other game.

In my experience, PFs either require a full on restore or they are more or less good with a few minor touch-ups. The difference in work between one that is a little ugly and one that is a lot ugly isn't that much, once you break out the airbrush and frisket.

I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind:
1. In my experience, every KOD needs some of the cards in the backbox replaced. How did you do this? Did you buy new armatures or repair what you had.

2. I assume you used stickers from PBR for the roto and backbox. Backbox stickers are NLA. Did you run into that? If so, what did you do?

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Release the hoard.

Target Alpha was paroled last weekend. I'm probably going to cut a few more loose this year. I'm not buying, mostly because there is little available generally and nothing that I have any interest in at the moment.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from pinhead52:

Here's a restore I did 15 years ago.

Also, your webbing is very nice. Usually, it is too heavy handed. How did you do yours?

#8 1 year ago

You have a nicer KoD to keep and 40 other projects? I would unload it with extreme prejudice.

#9 1 year ago

I don't think there is a middle road for this title. It's desirable enough that many would be happy to take the chance to restore it as you did. If it is just 'working' most people buying would want a full restore anyway.. I say list it, and move it back a slot or two in the queue and see what happens?

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Target Alpha was paroled last weekend. I'm probably going to cut a few more loose this year. I'm not buying, mostly because there is little available generally and nothing that I have any interest in at the moment.

And I hope the buyer appreciates the time and effort you put into it considering your asking price.

Yours is a passion for restoring pinballs as an enjoyable and challenging hobby vs those that do it to make a buck.

But that’s not the hoard I was referring to. How about releasing a few projects into the wild? I love working on them as well. Have an extra Old Chicago laying around?

#11 1 year ago
Quoted from Garrett:

Have an extra Old Chicago laying around

Sorry, I don't even have one. I mostly concentrate on Gottliebs. It makes my life easier.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

Your machine looks wonderful, and is sort of inspiring me to go full on. I prefer original, if I can do it, so my keeper is still the other game.
In my experience, PFs either require a full on restore or they are more or less good with a few minor touch-ups. The difference in work between one that is a little ugly and one that is a lot ugly isn't that much, once you break out the airbrush and frisket.
I have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind:
1. In my experience, every KOD needs some of the cards in the backbox replaced. How did you do this? Did you buy new armatures or repair what you had.
2. I assume you used stickers from PBR for the roto and backbox. Backbox stickers are NLA. Did you run into that? If so, what did you do?

Yea, I bought arms from PBR, will replace the 3 or 4 broken.

And I had these arm stickers reproduced. If you need a set I can fix you up.

in the restoration forum section search for homebrew webbing, quite a long thread on how to do it. Modeling glue, lac thinner and enamel paint. I use a mix of silver and black to lighten the look.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Staunton, VA

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/king-of-diamonds-sell-as-project-light-restore-or-full-on- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.