• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0468 (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

I'm almost done the work on my KING KOOL! Took 11 months, so far.

The last work is minor tweaking, particularly in the bonus-target in the center of the playfield and the two lights below it: ping/gate and red/bonus.

When the ball drains and the countdown begins, what is supposed to happen with those two lights?

On mine, it seems intermittent, with the pink and red lighting up every so often, kind of randomly, sometimes blinking.

Both lights work fine when the game is in play. Are they supposed to be going alternate red-pink-red-pink during the drain countdown??

What would I need to address to get this working properly, if so?

IMG_0468 (resized).jpegIMG_0468 (resized).jpeg
#2 2 years ago

Both those lights turn on only at certain bonus values, so them turning on and off as the bonus counts down makes sense

#3 2 years ago

Yeah, I'm just curious if there is a specific sequence it goes through, and what part or relay would handle it (I assume dirty switches somewhere).

Game still functions properly in terms of scoring and counting, etc.

#4 2 years ago

It's run directly off the bonus unit, through the adjustment and motor contacts, but, again, why would you think there's dirty switches somewhere? It's operating normally

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#5 2 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

It's run directly off the bonus unit, through the adjustment and motor contacts, but, again, why would you think there's dirty switches somewhere? It's operating normally
[quoted image]

I'm curious how the lights would function when the score counts down after drain. Though score functions properly, the light display might not, but I have no properly attuned machine to check against.

The pink and red lights flicker intermittently during countdown, sometimes on, sometimes skipping 4 or 5 1k lights, etc. I'm assuming the "BONUS UNIT" alternates both lights as it goes from 10 to 0, but the lights don't alternate, and come on and off willy-nilly.

Does anyone know where the bonus unit is? Under the playfield or down on the board.... in the backbox?

#6 2 years ago
Quoted from Gott72:

Does anyone know where the bonus unit is?

I'm pretty sure it's hanging off the playfield above the transformer. But check wire colors to make sure.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I'm pretty sure it's hanging off the playfield above the transformer. But check wire colors to make sure.

Thanks! FOUND IT!

I'm curious how it works, though. I mean, obviously a coil keeps it rotating until it hits a point where it stops, but there are 2 sets of two spring loaded plungers connecting top to bottom, two concentric rows of brass dots to connect to the plungers....

Do you have any idea which circle goes to what? The schematic seems a little confusing due to the plungers and circles. Maybe I should just nuke everything with cleaning alcohol or sandpaper??

#8 2 years ago

I only see one set of two spring loaded snowshoes (or as you said "plungers") on the schematic: at 3A.

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

I only see one set of two spring loaded snowshoes (or as you said "plungers") on the schematic: at 3A.

Yes, two--one on either side of the wheel containing two spring loaded pins with a jumper outside the back of the plate. So it's really just a fancy connector that jumps two connections on the other bakelite disk.... rather complete for something that could be far more simple, but it works.

I scrubbed and cleaned, and the PINK light now does alternate blinking on almost all the run until the 4k mark and lower. The RED light only blinks twice around 15-12K and then stops. I scrubbed and scrubbed to get it there and there is more and more black dust soaking into alcohol q-tips. I'm giving up for tonight and will try to do more tomorrow. Then I have to get onto the ASTRO add-a-ball problem and uncover those switches so I can paper them.

#10 2 years ago

BTW, I get the schematic now.

The red light NEVER alternates completely!

It's dependent on where the lib/con plug is placed and it only blinks TWICE per 10k sweep. This changes things. I probably only have a few contacts to clear to make this work as intended.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/king-kool-rock-light-sequences-during-bonus-reset-calculation and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.