923.JPG
kong_head_shot.jpg
58.JPG
KK 3 b4.jpg
57.JPG
KK 2 b4.jpg
1.JPG
kk 1 b4.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider high_end_pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 10 years ago

Finished King Kong #2 up this week.With plenty of help from our recently added Stern/ Data East expert John Lundy.
King Kong # 3 will be coming up shortly.

Here is the restore link
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album275

kk 1 b4.jpgkk 1 b4.jpg

Here is the finished game link
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album533

1.JPG1.JPG

Christopher Hutchins

#2 10 years ago

Playfield before and after.

KK 2 b4.jpgKK 2 b4.jpg

57.JPG57.JPG

#3 10 years ago

Interior before and after

KK 3 b4.jpgKK 3 b4.jpg

58.JPG58.JPG

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from noahpdavis:

Are there any gameplay videos of King Kong in action?

I think I can make one soon.I actually had started to make a series on it when the project kicked off that did capture the game play but there was too much stuff going on at the time to follow through. .

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Didn't one just sell on Ebay? Forgot the selling price...
(there was a Thread here about it)

That is this one I call #3 it came in a couple weeks ago.You can see the weird inserts in the cabinet.
Will likely make a video series on the restore of that one.

923.JPG923.JPG 926.JPG926.JPG
#26 10 years ago
Quoted from boo32:

Is the WOZ in for a tune up? What are your impressions?

Not really.That is my game.I am not much of a collector but was impressed with some of the innovation and the build quality so I thought I would get one.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

Chris can you verify this?? At first glance It looks like you almost airbrushed / touched up the whole PF but if it was just the clear that brought out those colors i'd be very surprised. Either way, excellent work!

The restore link shows the process pretty well.It is a combination of the work done and the lighting conditions from one spot to the next.
Playfield restore on this game is very tricky definitely worth taking a look at the process if you have a chance..

#42 10 years ago

I have a game play video loading .It will be a bit long since I ended up having a decent game on it but should give a decent feel for the game itself and what it does as you get into it.
Will post the link shortly.

Christopher Hutchins

#43 10 years ago

Here is the game play video and overview.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from Schusler:

Thanks for that overview video Chris!
This is sorta OT... Did you ever do a Gottlieb Krull when you had that in your restoration queue?

I did not get a chance to capture the Krull game play video.It took quite a while to work all the bugs out of the game so by the time I had it working properly I had moved on to other things.

#60 10 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Thanks for the video Chris. I notice the entire background sound is different then mine and some of the other sounds too. Your's sounds a bit more rock and roll'ish where as mine is a bit more jungle theme music. Also the plastic ramp on mine is white with decals applied to it. Also noticed that your cannon shot several times during the end of the game, even if there was no ball in the cannon but like you were saying probably just a tweak thing. I would have liked to seen the radar shot made during a regular play time to hear how that reacted, mine can get caught in a sound loop until some other certain shots are made... Last thing I noticed was that yours must be set up different for the ball lock as it seemed way to easy to lock all three balls in compared to mine. On mine you have to shoot the three center targets and then the ball has to make it all the way through that right return in order to light the lock, not sure if your balls did all that or not. Does your's have the helicopter plastic just in front of the cannon?
Thanks again,
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836
KK owner #009

I think the ease of the lock is adjustable in settings.This game is set to light the lock one at a time as you complete the three target bank although I anticipate the one that is upcoming will be the purest of them all since it has a drop bank and the code/setting reference that .It also references the VUK of which this one,the one I did previously and yours have the steep steel ramp.
The cannon switch was more sensitive than it should have been at the time so as the game progresses it starts to random fire.The adjustment was made along with some other expected tweaks on any game that starts to settle back in after being gutted and rebuilt.
No helicopter plastics on this one nor ramp decals but I think the first one I did had both.

#62 10 years ago

Due to the interest in these a new video series is in the works on the restoration of the third King Kong as winter project.
Took the rare opportunity to capture the outgoing and incoming side by side today.A video was made to highlight the differences and will be made public soon.
038.JPG038.JPG

#70 10 years ago

Here is the direct link to the playlist of the incoming King Kong project.This series will cover the restoration of the game which looks to include full Mylar removal,insert repair,cabinet repair and painting,parts fabrication and much more.
Probably going to be a slow mover through here as these types of projects normally are but worthy of the effort and documentation.The set up is more timed to the outgoing King Kong than this games arrival but in the interest of comparing the two makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAssdv2pYixAaqZjvM36ZBsnT6Pr6xV0B

#71 10 years ago

Here is the comparison video between the two games.

2 years later
#84 8 years ago

I am going to try and get my old videos sorted out and back up there.
They are just private now and my YouTube account is under a long dead email account I had so I don't get any mail from it.
There is some good stuff in there I just don't have the time or ability to make it as nice as I would like.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider high_end_pins.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/king-kong-restoration-finished-hep?tu=high_end_pins and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.