Dolphins.jpg
We_refuse_to_go_on_stage.jpg
KongGif1a.gif.CROP.original-original.gif
King_kong_eat-300x225.jpg
PB230206.JPG
P2020007.JPG
P2020006.JPG
PA280139.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from Mike_J:

Bidding is now at 20k.
25k is not out of the realm of possibility.

It'll hit 25k and higher . . . there is a super collector out there that isn't going to let this game get out of reach, talk about a game that virtually never comes available.

#49 10 years ago

The bids suddenly dropped to $13,000 from $20,000. I wonder what happened? Someone bid the 20k with a dummy account just to see how high the person in front of them was bidding then withdrew it? Sneaky.

#51 10 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

i hope i get a fair chance to own this game
will take it to the Pinball shows for sure
instead of Hiding it from the world

Would be really great to see this game going to shows. I hope whoever is lucky enough to land it does bring it to some shows to be seen. Will probably win a few contests at the various shows it makes it to.

I see another poster in this thread says he has a verbal on the machine. If it goes through then big congrats on the amazing score!

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

l too, was hoping to bring it to shows, and let pinballers local and far play it. it's just too cool.

I hope it works out for you and the game makes it to many pinball events!!! Good luck.

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Who did they have to get the license from? Figured that was in the public domian by now....

Interestingly, back in the day, Nintendo wanted Donkey Kong to be named King Kong and they couldn't get the rights either . . . so King Kong became Donkey Kong. I'm sure it is staying out of the public domain the same way Mickey Mouse and all the other old copyrighted and trade marked characters stay out.

Here is an good on point review from an education article (that is expressly in the public domain):

Anything copyrighted prior to 1923 is in the public domain. (Practically speaking, this includes anything published prior to 1923, since publication without copyright put the work straight into the public domain. But note this possible exception in some western states for some 1909-1922 foreign works that were not published in the US before 1923.) Due to a 20-year copyright extension enacted in the US in 1998, copyrights from 1923 or later that are still in force will stay in effect through 2018 or longer.

Certain works copyrighted in 1923 or later may already have entered the public domain. In particular, works published in the US before 1989 without proper copyright notice, and works published in the US before 1964 whose copyrights were not renewed, may have entered the public domain. However, works from 1923 or later that were originally published in countries outside the US may still be copyrighted regardless of whether they were printed with proper notice or renewed. To research whether a book's copyright has been renewed, or needed to be renewed, see this article.

Works never published prior to 2003 (and never registered for copyright prior to 1978) are now in the public domain in the US if they are by authors who died more than 70 years before the most recent New Year's day. (For 2013, this means authors who died before 1943.) Although this new rule does not put any previously published material into the public domain, it may allow some long-lost manuscripts and collections of letters to be published online as "new" online books.

#101 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

You know the main reason copyright law in the US has continuously lengthened the copyright privileges to copyright holders throu legislation over the past half century without allowing things to go in public domain that should have under previous legislation? Micky Mouse.
I kid you not. Mickey Mouse made his appearance in The Steamboat Willie cartoon in 1928. Under original legislation, he would have been public domain in 2003. Disney wasn't going to let that cash cow go easily, so they lobbied hard and got a knight in shining armor in the form of senator Sonny Bono (hmmm..wonder why he cared about extending copyrights?) to go for boot and extend that legislation.
Won't be surprising at all if we see a problem arise again on Capitol Hill when the mouse is about to run out.
Not political here at all, just some interesting history on public domain. One of the few times my film degree and year of law school education could come in handy together ha!

Yea, that mouse is tough. I love how South Park portrays him in episodes he appears in. Anyone remember the episode where the Jonas brothers refused to go on stage? We_refuse_to_go_on_stage.jpgWe_refuse_to_go_on_stage.jpg

#103 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

So they made 9 machines BEFORE they secured the rights?? Can this be right?

While I am just speculating and trying to extrapolate from the data in this thread, it sounds like they made the 9 prototypes to show to the IP holders and (for whatever reason) getting the IP turned into a greater challenge than they thought it would be. Perhaps there were multiple people owning one facet of the IP and they had to deal with third parties they were not expecting to deal with.

During the pendancy of the deal, they got the rights to do back to the future and just re-themed most of the playfield to back to the future. Again, just speculation.

#104 10 years ago

Alright, so I did some quick research on the King Kong IP issue so I could stop speculating. This is interesting (and funny enough ties in with my comments on Donkey Kong earlier):

"Universal’s King Kong movie debuted in 1976, but it wasn’t an original story. Rather, the movie was a remake of a movie with the same title made in 1933 by RKO General. The 1976 remake came with its own round of litigation, with many parties claiming to have at least partial rights over the name, characters, and plot of the movie. Universal, however, argued that no one did, and that the characters and plot were in the public domain. In the subsequent litigation with Nintendo, the court noted this inconsistency, using it as part of the basis for finding that Nintendo’s Donkey Kong game did not infringe upon Universal’s rights (if any) over King Kong. Nintendo prevailed, and, when Universal appealed, the next court admonished Universal for its inconsistent legal logic.

Finally, Universal’s conduct amounted to an abuse of judicial processes, and in that sense caused a larger harm to the public as a whole. Depending on the commercial results, Universal alternatively argued to the courts, first, that King Kong was part of the public domain, and then second, that King Kong was not part of the public domain, and that Universal possessed exclusive trademark rights in it. Universal’s assertions in court were based not on any good faith belief in their truth, but on the mistaken belief that it could use the courts to turn a profit." - abovethelaw.com

#119 10 years ago

I sure hope this game makes it to a couple shows. Anyone want to do final price predictions?

My guess: $26,450 (I think there will be a couple super collectors vying for it at the end).

#132 10 years ago
Quoted from Quicksilver1:

Look how many people have found and bid on the auction without one mention of the word pinball in the title. Imagine what this pin might have actually gone for after the auction is over if the seller had actually taken the time to put "Data East" or god forbid, the word "Pinball" in his auction title to direct more eyes to it?

With still three days to go I would guess most of the people who have the means and desire to bid on an item like this will be made aware of it (if they are not all aware of it already).

The pinball world is small and for the uber collector that doesn't patron pinside they likely have friends that come here and have seen this thread and alerted them to the auction. I still think it ends a hair under 27k but as others have said I also wouldn't be surprised to see it go for over 30k.

#153 10 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

And this is why sales like this worry me. Espeically when it is museums that have to sell them because changes are this will be put in some rich person's collection and no body will get to play it, nor will it be brought to pinball shows.

There was a very nice gentlemen who brought his BBB to the TPF. I understand both BBB and King Pin make regular appearances at a show in California (not sure which one). Very cool when the rarer games make it to shows for everyone to enjoy.

Some collectors really enjoy showing off their collections. Hopefully this King Kong goes to one of those gentlemen's collections.

#174 10 years ago

This title has crossed the 20k threshold.

Seeing that backglass makes me curious, is there a good way to restore a backglass that has had flaking issues like that?

#225 10 years ago
Quoted from blondetall:

I sorta did the same thing with our JP last year. Then a year later we had 9... the sickness is strong. Can't have just one.

Jeez, I had no idea you went up to 9 . . . I remember when your thread when you got the JP. I bet you would have laughed had someone said a year later you would have nine!!!

1 month later
#240 10 years ago

6 hours to go, 25% lower price so far.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tigerlaw.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/king-kong-on-ebay?tu=tigerlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.