Dolphins.jpg
We_refuse_to_go_on_stage.jpg
KongGif1a.gif.CROP.original-original.gif
King_kong_eat-300x225.jpg
PB230206.JPG
P2020007.JPG
P2020006.JPG
PA280139.JPG
There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.
#151 10 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Look it up, it was on Ebay awhile back.
LTG : )

WOW...it sold for over $20K!

#152 10 years ago
Quoted from blimpey:

From the seller's eBay description: "There is no perceptible wear on the play-field."
The seller must have taken pictures of the wrong King Kong then.
It gets better (not really) when he writes: "The photos and description are completely accurate and honest".
The left ramp insert is so worn it is unreadable, and the super jackpot insert is pretty bad too.

True, but does that count as wear to the playfield OR wear to the insert?

If you're paying $20k for a game that is not physically in front of you, I'm assuming you combed over the photos dutifully or you just don't give a crap and want the game no matter what.

Nice eye, though!

#153 10 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

And this is why sales like this worry me. Espeically when it is museums that have to sell them because changes are this will be put in some rich person's collection and no body will get to play it, nor will it be brought to pinball shows.

There was a very nice gentlemen who brought his BBB to the TPF. I understand both BBB and King Pin make regular appearances at a show in California (not sure which one). Very cool when the rarer games make it to shows for everyone to enjoy.

Some collectors really enjoy showing off their collections. Hopefully this King Kong goes to one of those gentlemen's collections.

#154 10 years ago

I sold that to DAvid years ago.. I have had 4 of them Never thought they would go this crazy SOld DAyhuff his for like 7500 ... oh well

#155 10 years ago
Quoted from mikepin:

I sold that to DAvid years ago.. I have had 4 of them Never thought they would go this crazy SOld DAyhuff his for like 7500 ... oh well

Thanks Mike. And to set the record straight, it was $6500. The going rate at that time. And it was the most I'd ever paid for a game at that point.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
259-979-3836

#156 10 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I believe one is in a private collection in Germany. I always thought there was only 2?

I had spare play fields and spare molded parts for pinball circus. Not enough to make a full game but 4 of the multiteerd play fields the clown the elephant, the wooden back board both girls the clown hands.. They now are in a another collectors hands and are the only know to exist not in one of the two games made

#157 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

I had spare play fields and spare molded parts for Pinball Circus. Not enough to make a full game but 4 of the multiteerd play fields the clown the elephant, the wooden back board both girls the clown hands.. They now are in a another collectors hands and are the only know to exist not in one of the two games made

Gene had a whole pile of ringmaster bodies for Pinball Circus, and I always wondered why he dragged them around as no one could ever use them. Novelty, I guess.

#158 10 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

And it was the most I'd ever paid for a game at that point.

Oh how times have changed! You probably thought you were crazy at the time.

#159 10 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

Oh how times have changed! You probably thought you were crazy at the time.

Yes thats exactly true. But at the time it was do or die. I already let one slip through my hands a year earlier and I figured this would be my last chance to get one. So it was put up the cash or forget it forever. Only nine made sure, but how many are left today ?

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#160 10 years ago

Its kind of a scary thing for me anyway, to own a super rare game. Sure probably nothing would ever happen, but if it did I would not want to be the guy who took a one of a kind or few left and be known as the (insert Pinball.) destroyer. All the best to the people who are custodians of such rare treasures.

#161 10 years ago

holy crud, an entire ramp is missing! I wonder if the bidders noticed this, and wonder if this part is possible to get, and how will the winner feel getting a game that is basically unplayable. Also unless it's the picture notice all the mylar peeling away at the bottom of the playfield.

#162 10 years ago
Quoted from aberdeentp:

holy crud, an entire ramp is missing! I wonder if the bidders noticed this, and wonder if this part is possible to get, and how will the winner feel getting a game that is basically unplayable. Also unless it's the picture notice all the mylar peeling away at the bottom of the playfield.

I dont think there is a ramp missing, its been replaced by a vertical upkicker instead. All the games were a little bit different in there own way. I do like mine with the metal ramp instead of that VUK though.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#163 10 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I dont think there is a ramp missing, its been replaced by a vertical upkicker instead. All the games were a little bit different in there own way. I do like mine with the metal ramp instead of that VUK though.

I was just about to question this as it looked like an upkicker rather than missing ramp to me from the pics. Thanks for clarifying.

#164 10 years ago

ah I see, so that hole in the back isn't used, just a hole in the wall, you look at the end of the ramp at the top and there looks like there is a connector though, wondering if you rigged it if the programming is there for it to go up in there? For the KK with the metal ramp what's in that spot where the vuk is on this one?

It definitely looks like the ramp that leads nowhere. I mean where does the ball go when it's hit up the ramp from the upper flipper? Just around and out on the right onto the pop bumpers? Is there a switch anywhere that records a hit? Then you can have the odd shot that doesn't quite get to the end of the ramp but falls out on the hole in the ramp at the top, then does it get stuck there over the vuk? Then look at the ramp at the bottom entrance where the super jackpot is, it looks like a lip there and would shoot the ball in the air. I don't see any switches and looks impossible to shoot it up and around the ramp to get the super jackpot if the switch is there, a very interesting ramp. And again I have to wonder how playable it actually is? It is definitely a more drastic ramp than the one on Batman Forever where the upper flipper shot can easily cause airballs. Maybe the consequences of entering the lower section of the ramp explains the insert wear.

#165 10 years ago

I think there is cannon there at the end. I play a king king at expo and flipper where too weak to get to the end of the ramp and the ball lock kicked balls out to the outline as well.

#166 10 years ago

Check out the nice KK on this site

http://ipdb.org/search.pl?any=king+kong&search=Search+Database&searchtype=quick#3194

It looks as if a ball is shot up a ramp under the black ramp to shoot into the million shot.
The hole in the back is probably where the ball goes after that shot is made.

#167 10 years ago

ok I have NOS backglass make some UNREASONABLE offer I will sell or put on ebay

#168 10 years ago
Quoted from mikepin:

ok I have NOS backglass make some UNREASONABLE offer I will sell or put on ebay

"Might as well, can't dance."

#169 10 years ago

ah that's just plum gorgeous, he is a magician isn't he? I see the cannon now as it's really clear on these pictures. You shoot it up the side ramp, it goes into the cannon and the cannon shoots it through the folding fence plastics for your jackpotarooni. That is very cool. It looks like the top of the plastic ramp isn't used at all. If this was the one on ebay I would be calling in the troops and try to snag it. But if I may and don't sound too stupid, he does look like he modified it a bit, as one flap looks like it covers the inserts where you lock balls so did he change the software so it's a virtual lock? Then the lower ramp the flap is up, so it appears you can't do a ramp shot from the bottom flippers, and wondering where the ball goes, a loop shot? Maybe it's just an illusion but it looks like the flap is up there? Most likely this was just the prototype he was working with and that's how it was, then perhaps without any multiball. Those aren't pusscake flippers. But the ramp shots are different with the one on ebay, as the bottom ramp flap is down and you would get serious airballs. And the side ramp looks like it goes around the top plastic ramp and maybe it drops into the cannon from there.

#170 10 years ago

I'm sorry, looking again it looks like it locks balls on the ramp itself like Time Machine, and the decal on the lower ramp shows it to be a loop shot. Just beautiful.

#171 10 years ago

Yes the one Chris H restored is the one that is worthy of 20k and counting.
The only thing going for the one on ebay is the extra sound roms that the other 8 don't have.
I also like the ramp rather than the Back to the Future VUK.

#172 10 years ago

didn't even know this title existed

#173 10 years ago

The big end-of-bidding show starts in 6.5 hours!

#174 10 years ago

This title has crossed the 20k threshold.

Seeing that backglass makes me curious, is there a good way to restore a backglass that has had flaking issues like that?

#175 10 years ago

A few years ago when I was seeking out rarer games, I had the chance to purchase a King Kong for 8,000 that was in a lot better shape than the one on eBay. I ended up passing on it because at the time 8k was way above what I was willing to pay. A year later I would've paid that for it, but decided that I'd rather have a CC and AFM instead. Until this current auction came up, I still considered my decision to have been a good one. I don't care much for the gameplay on KK, but the theme (I have KK poster on the wall) and rarity was what I was looking for. I would've bought Loch Ness back when it was changing hands, but I was told that after it went for 25k that the buyer would never let it change hands again. Looking at the going rates for a less-rare KK, I'm not so sure that an owner wouldn't consider testing the waters now. The others I was shooting for back then were Krull (which was unobtanium then) and Goin' Nuts (which was too high for flakey broken examples). After the one I had the best shot at went for 12k, I took my collection in a different direction. I'd still like some of John Trudeau's rarer machines (I do still have QQ and Spirit), but the market right now would require me to trade or sell too many of my current games to hit the targets. I'll settle for adding nice examples of better playing games. Maybe once my second kid gets through college in a few years something will change. Time will tell.

#176 10 years ago

Has this been ported over to Visual Pinball or other vitual pin? Its always nice to be able to at least get idea how the game played. Thats probably the only way I'll ever get to play a King Pin or MM

#178 10 years ago

Thats definitely not HUO.

#179 10 years ago
Quoted from Barron:

Here's another King Kong on eBay:
Ebay link

Ah, but can you name the pin in the photos?

I know what it is

Chris

#180 10 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

So they made 9 machines BEFORE they secured the rights?? Can this be right?

And its not like they couldn't change the art if they failed to get the rights and wanted to make the game anyway. Remember they used to make the play fields then tell the art department to make it look good.

#181 10 years ago

You would think they could have just changed a few things slightly and still came out with it. (like that Beatles game?)

#182 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Seeing that backglass makes me curious, is there a good way to restore a backglass that has had flaking issues like that?

Not flaking. It is reflections from outside.

LTG : )

#183 10 years ago

36 mins to go. I feel like it's New Year's Eve or Super Bowl Sunday

#184 10 years ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Has this been ported over to Visual Pinball or other vitual pin? Its always nice to be able to at least get idea how the game played. Thats probably the only way I'll ever get to play a King Pin or MM

Nope. None of the owners are pulling their roms out and dumping them.

(And, I can't say that I blame them. I've pulled off HUNDREDS of chips, but I'd probably be terrified to go after something that rare. One busted leg and its the end of the world).

Pete

#185 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Ah, but can you name the pin in the photos?
I know what it is
Chris

Black Pyramid

#186 10 years ago
Quoted from aberdeentp:

ah that's just plum gorgeous, he is a magician isn't he? I see the cannon now as it's really clear on these pictures. You shoot it up the side ramp, it goes into the cannon and the cannon shoots it through the folding fence plastics for your jackpotarooni. That is very cool.

On my game you can enter the left ramp from two different places, one is worth more then the other if I remember right. Getting the ball into the cannon makes the lights on the back board (the ones just above the cannon) scroll from left to right, but only two times. If you fail to use your flippers to fire the cannon before the scrolling effect times out it will automatically fire the ball out and across the playfield into the door on the right side of the playfield , and then the ball comes back out through the hole in the back board where it delivers into the pop bumpers. ** Hidden hint, the scrolling lights only go up to 125K. If you wait until the second time the lights scroll across and hit the flipper buttons just after the 125K is lit and then fire the cannon its worth one million points.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#187 10 years ago

A little over 10min left...

$20,100 as of now still

Any last minute guesses as to what it will end at?

I'm guessing 23k

#191 10 years ago

Don't really use eBay, but following this...is the rest of the bidding all done by bots in the last quarter-second?

#192 10 years ago

I will go Price is Right style and say it ends exactly where it is now ("1 dollar Bob")...$20,100..... Usually last minute bidding is for lower dollar items...Who knows, it's anyone's guess...

#193 10 years ago

$25,019

#194 10 years ago

$20,100 with 3 minutes to go. I'm gonna go with $27500

#195 10 years ago

Less than 4 minutes....Almost sniper time

Sniper.jpgSniper.jpg

#196 10 years ago

I'm betting $28K+. Those last second snipers will make a big difference.

#197 10 years ago

Going, going...

#198 10 years ago

Sold. $20,100.00.

#199 10 years ago

who won the guess??

#200 10 years ago

Hammer price: $20,100 no snipers!

There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/king-kong-on-ebay/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.