Dolphins.jpg
We_refuse_to_go_on_stage.jpg
KongGif1a.gif.CROP.original-original.gif
King_kong_eat-300x225.jpg
PB230206.JPG
P2020007.JPG
P2020006.JPG
PA280139.JPG
There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.
#51 10 years ago
Quoted from rvdv:

i hope i get a fair chance to own this game
will take it to the Pinball shows for sure
instead of Hiding it from the world

Would be really great to see this game going to shows. I hope whoever is lucky enough to land it does bring it to some shows to be seen. Will probably win a few contests at the various shows it makes it to.

I see another poster in this thread says he has a verbal on the machine. If it goes through then big congrats on the amazing score!

#52 10 years ago

lt will be good faith, luck and his word if it does go through. Stranger things have happened. lf not, it wasn't meant to be and more power to the next if it falls through.

l too, was hoping to bring it to shows, and let pinballers local and far play it. it's just too cool.

#53 10 years ago
Quoted from shacklersrevenge:

l too, was hoping to bring it to shows, and let pinballers local and far play it. it's just too cool.

I hope it works out for you and the game makes it to many pinball events!!! Good luck.

#54 10 years ago

yeah john and you prolly got yours for $500 with the owner not knowing any better. you lucky hustlin dog you.

#55 10 years ago

Those long flippers are funkeee, but the artwork and the theme are beyond description. This machine deserves whatever it can get. Congrats to the buyer. You're going to get a real nice piece of Americana.

#56 10 years ago

lol, love the bid retractions - "oops, better ask the wife if spending twenty-thousand dollars on a pinball machine is okay...dammit [retracts bid]"

#57 10 years ago

$17,200 at the moment.

It seems to be on its way back to 20k.

#58 10 years ago
Quoted from High_End_Pins:

This is a game I really like because even though it was a small run it had a lot of potential in terms of the art etc.
I am currently restoring #9
http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album275
It is the second one I have done so I am pretty familiar with it.
Christopher Hutchins

Hey Chris, What makes you think you have number 9 ? Thats the number on my tag on my game. Hmmm......?

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#59 10 years ago
Quoted from silver_spinner:

yeah john and you prolly got yours for $500 with the owner not knowing any better. you lucky hustlin dog you.

Not true at all. Believe me, there is a loooonng history of what it took for me to actually get one of these games. I had to let the first one go, and it took another year after that even to secure this one. But at the time I paid the going price and trust me, the owner knew what he had.

John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

#60 10 years ago

I don't understand why people get all bent out of shape over a rare game fetching big money. I like old cars, don't get all upset when a hemi cuda convertible sells for $5,000,000.00! What's with pinheads and their jealousy? What's even worse is some of them mention not liking the games! Shouldn't that be a positive? Sorry, I just don't get it and happens everytime something hits $10k.

I hope someone on here gets it. It looks cool.

#61 10 years ago

There was/is no listed reserve, so the $12,000.00 Buy It Now (BIN) was gone immediately after the first bid was placed on the machine.

Brad

#62 10 years ago
Quoted from jellikit:

There was/is no listed reserve, so the $12,000.00 Buy It Now (BIN) was gone immediately after the first bid was placed on the machine.
Brad

That's the first BIN price on Ebay I have ever seen that was way under priced...

Why don't all bidders just retract their bids and then the BIN price of $12,000 will return!

#63 10 years ago

Every time I read this thread I cannot help but sing this theme song in my head...

#64 10 years ago

Beautiful art on this machine IMO, especially the cabinet.

#65 10 years ago

I remember playing King Kong at Expo around ten years ago. It looked like a cool game, but I don't recall it being too much fun to play. Like a lot of rare games, there is usually a good business reason the game didn't get placed into production.

#66 10 years ago

I'm shocked the game had a BIN price of $12K. That would have been the steal of the century in today's market. It's not often that a person who owns such a rare game like this is so oblivious to its value.

#67 10 years ago

If someone told you that you could give them $12,000, and they would give you a giant beautiful wooden box that at ANY time in the future you could trade again easily for $22,000 or more: would you do it?

#68 10 years ago

If the guy seriously is having financial problems then I wouldn't blame him a bit for taking all he can get. Who knows it may be the difference between the Pinball Museum going away or staying open.

#69 10 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Hey Chris, What makes you think you have number 9 ? Thats the number on my tag on my game. Hmmm......?
John P. Dayhuff
Battle Creek, Mi.
269-979-3836

The label is what I was going by but now that you mentioned and I see your tags I decided to check the pics of the other one I did back in 2006 .
What I found is it has a later date of early May 1990 .

http://christopherhutchins.com/gallery/album354

What I think is the later version pictured in that gallery has the hinges on the face of the head not the sides,no hole port in the floor,large chocking for the transformer and probably more..It looks more like a dedicated game than the one I am doing now or perhaps others that have blue paint under the black on the cabinet.

The one I am doing now has everything hand written in terms of the serial #s etc so it is probably one of the first actually not the last.

#70 10 years ago

Wow $17200, everyone should of bought it at the buy now price of $12000.........I think it will go at $22000 by the end, let's start a mini guessing comp......winner gets nothing but bragging rights.

#71 10 years ago

If you snooze you looze with Buy it Now on ebay. When a good deal comes up you have to be quick before other people bid and remove the option. When I got one of my rare games it was setup the same was as this auction and I had to be quick. I am sure people who say they were interested wanted to talk to the seller and ask questions before using buy it now and that is understandable because so would I, however you really don't have time for that. Your best bet it to just use buy it now so it's yours and then you can talk to the seller afterwards. Worst case if it's not what you expected you can always back out and he can re-list. Yes, I know when you use buy it now it's a contract and he could try to force you to buy it, however he likely has many other interested parties and will just sell it to someone else outside of ebay or re-list. I know a lot of people are ani-ebay and against it so guess they can chalk it up as a lesson learned. It sucks a lot of people missed out but I highly doubt he will honor his 12K buy it now price with it's current price. I know many people on here say he should and it's the ethical thing to do, but how many of you give away 10K+ on a daily basis?

#72 10 years ago
Quoted from BoJo:

If you snooze you looze with Buy it Now on ebay. When a good deal comes up you have to be quick before other people bid and remove the option. When I got one of my rare games it was setup the same was as this auction and I had to be quick. I am sure people who say they were interested wanted to talk to the seller and ask questions before using buy it now and that is understandable because so would I, however you really don't have time for that. Your best bet it to just use buy it now so it's yours and then you can talk to the seller afterwards. Worst case if it's not what you expected you can always back out and he can re-list. Yes, I know when you use buy it now it's a contract and he could try to force you to buy it, however he likely has many other interested parties and will just sell it to someone else outside of ebay or re-list. I know a lot of people are ani-ebay and against it so guess they can chalk it up as a lesson learned. It sucks a lot of people missed out but I highly doubt he will honor his 12K buy it now price with it's current price. I know many people on here say he should and it's the ethical thing to do, but how many of you give away 10K+ on a daily basis?

True true, $10k is a lot to throw away.

#73 10 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

...the artwork and the theme are beyond description.

+1.

#74 10 years ago

folks, it wasnt a question of beating around the bush on the buy it now price. lt was, that he listed it for low starting bid with a buy it now. Within seconds, a ''dink'' bid was placed for the opener, eliminating the buy it now. The seller thought the buy it now was still on all day, he said that was the first item he ever sold on ebay=noob seller.
With that said, l was first to call and l told him i'd take it. Called him twice actually. He was confused about the listing, and why the buy it now wasnt available, and decided to look into that further before commiting to anything else.
He told me he has 600 pins, one of the first 14 bbb, and that WAS his Kingpin. He has many other rare games, they are all for sale (they are going to be auction housed)

So, in short, l gave it a shot, didn't work out so far. Oh well. The stories he told me about the King Kong were more than worth the time.
l'm excited about aquiring Metallica pro nib, so all is good

#75 10 years ago

He told me he has 600 pins, one of the first 14 bbb, and that WAS his Kingpin. He has many other rare games, they are all for sale (they are going to be auction housed)

So, I'm guessing this definitely means no more National Pinball Museum return

#76 10 years ago

He told me he needed to sell them all, it was time to move on, that he'd been doing this for a long time.
Sounds like an impressive collection. I wish him luck.

#77 10 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

So, I'm guessing this definitely means no more National Pinball Museum return

It's a bummer. I would support a kick starter for a more sustainable pinball venue in the area ... If anyone buys up a bunch locally.

#78 10 years ago

Dave will probably be selling a few items as he was heavily in debt from opening the museum in DC and having to move the museum to Baltimore. He sold the King Pin in the museum when he moved to the Inner Harbor. He worked his ass off to try and make the museum happen but had a lot of bad luck. The main tech that did work to keep the pins in good shape for the DC location couldnt work in the Baltimore. Volunteers did the work in Baltimore and a lot of the machines suffered.

#79 10 years ago

Ya I'm the guy who bought David's kingpin last year.. It's now in another private collection as of a few weeks ago

#80 10 years ago

folks, it wasnt a question of beating around the bush on the buy it now price. lt was, that he listed it for low starting bid with a buy it now. Within seconds, a ''dink'' bid was placed for the opener, eliminating the buy it now. The seller thought the buy it now was still on all day, he said that was the first item he ever sold on ebay=noob seller.

Not buying that. How does a noob at EBay have 588 feedback?

At any rate, sorry to those who did not get it for the 12K, but good luck to the seller.

Chris

#81 10 years ago

Yep. Total noob mistake. There is no point to a BIN if you have a super low opening bid. I still don't understand why the BIN was so cheap, though. The guy is clearly very entrenched in the hobby. You would think he would have checked with some of his buddies first before listing such a rare item.

#82 10 years ago
Quoted from SilverUnicorn:

Not buying that. How does a noob at EBay have 588 feedback?
At any rate, sorry to those who did not get it for the 12K, but good luck to the seller.
Chris

He has 1 feedback as a seller to Mike Pacak 5 years ago..... Definitely a rookie when it comes to selling on Ebay.

Either way, he will do quite well with this auction.

#83 10 years ago

I love that King Kong backglass! Does anyone know if there are any extras floating around?

#84 10 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

I love that King Kong backglass!

I do to! I'm glad they weren't doing big ole LCD's back then...

Quoted from jkdblaze:

Does anyone know if there are any extras floating around?

I really doubt it but if there's one guy that might know it would probably be Mike Pacak...

#85 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

You would think he would have checked with some of his buddies first before listing such a rare item.

That assumes his buddies would know what it's worth. I personally would have no idea how to price something like this. The bigger question is why have a BIN price to begin with.

#86 10 years ago

$17k? 6 days left? Sounds like BIN disappearing was a blessing!

#87 10 years ago
Quoted from teekee:

I really doubt it but if there's one guy that might know it would probably be Mike Pacak...

If there are any, maybe they will pop up on eBay now based on the success of this auction.

#88 10 years ago
Quoted from jkdblaze:

I love that King Kong backglass! Does anyone know if there are any extras floating around?

My buddy bought one from one of the game designers last year in Chicago (along with a lot of other rare stuff). I don't *think* it is for sale but you never know until you ask. I won't post his name on here, but if you are interested, I can certainly PM you his info.

#89 10 years ago
Quoted from ralphwiggum:

He has 1 feedback as a seller to Mike Pacak 5 years ago..... Definitely a rookie when it comes to selling on Ebay.
Either way, he will do quite well with this auction.

ooooh, ok. My apologies!

Chris

#90 10 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

Ya I'm the guy who bought David's Kingpin last year.. It's now in another private collection as of a few weeks ago

Congratulations. Ever thought of opening a Museum, or some type of public pay to play?

#91 10 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That assumes his buddies would know what it's worth. I personally would have no idea how to price something like this. The bigger question is why have a BIN price to begin with.

When you are dealing with such a rare item like this, and it's difficult to gauge what it's worth, your best bet is to list it with a low starting bid and a very high reserve. If it was me, it would have had a $25K reserve on it. Sure, it may not hit the reserve, but at least it will give you an accurate reflection of its value. All it costs you are some fees. Then, you either re-list it, or sell it to the highest bidder.

#92 10 years ago

What's the story with why it never went into production? it looks like fun.

#93 10 years ago

Data East put together 9 proto King Kongs. Each one is a little different, but mostly the same. They kept trying to aquire the license for it, but couldn't finalize it. They then aquired Back to the future, which is why half the playfield (middle to left side) is much like Back to the Future.

#94 10 years ago

Data East put together 9 proto King Kongs. Each one is a little different, but mostly the same. They kept trying to aquire the license for it, but couldn't finalize it. They then aquired Back to the Future, which is why half the playfield (middle to left side) is much like Back to the Future.

Who did they have to get the license from? Figured that was in the public domian by now....

#95 10 years ago

With all of the rare games I've come across in 30 years, this one seems to get flipped the most.

For all of those that missed out, just be paitient for another one to surface. They always come back.

Try to be more vigilant next time too.

#96 10 years ago

Will there be a donation to Pinside if the machine is sold to a Pinsider because of this post?

Brad

#97 10 years ago

it would be great if someone here could post a youtube video of game play of a King Kong purely out of interest.

what do you think Dayhuff?

#98 10 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Who did they have to get the license from? Figured that was in the public domian by now....

Interestingly, back in the day, Nintendo wanted Donkey Kong to be named King Kong and they couldn't get the rights either . . . so King Kong became Donkey Kong. I'm sure it is staying out of the public domain the same way Mickey Mouse and all the other old copyrighted and trade marked characters stay out.

Here is an good on point review from an education article (that is expressly in the public domain):

Anything copyrighted prior to 1923 is in the public domain. (Practically speaking, this includes anything published prior to 1923, since publication without copyright put the work straight into the public domain. But note this possible exception in some western states for some 1909-1922 foreign works that were not published in the US before 1923.) Due to a 20-year copyright extension enacted in the US in 1998, copyrights from 1923 or later that are still in force will stay in effect through 2018 or longer.

Certain works copyrighted in 1923 or later may already have entered the public domain. In particular, works published in the US before 1989 without proper copyright notice, and works published in the US before 1964 whose copyrights were not renewed, may have entered the public domain. However, works from 1923 or later that were originally published in countries outside the US may still be copyrighted regardless of whether they were printed with proper notice or renewed. To research whether a book's copyright has been renewed, or needed to be renewed, see this article.

Works never published prior to 2003 (and never registered for copyright prior to 1978) are now in the public domain in the US if they are by authors who died more than 70 years before the most recent New Year's day. (For 2013, this means authors who died before 1943.) Although this new rule does not put any previously published material into the public domain, it may allow some long-lost manuscripts and collections of letters to be published online as "new" online books.

#99 10 years ago

this one looks like it could use a HEP restoration as well, it has some pretty significant problems on the playfield. I think it would certainly be worth it after spending that kind of cash to acquire it.

#100 10 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Interestingly, back in the day, Nintendo wanted Donkey Kong to be named King Kong and they couldn't get the rights either . . . so King Kong became Donkey Kong. I'm sure it is staying out of the public domain the same way Mickey Mouse and all the other old copyrighted and trade marked characters stay out.
Here is an good on point review from an education article (that is expressly in the public domain):
Anything copyrighted prior to 1923 is in the public domain. (Practically speaking, this includes anything published prior to 1923, since publication without copyright put the work straight into the public domain. But note this possible exception in some western states for some 1909-1922 foreign works that were not published in the US before 1923.) Due to a 20-year copyright extension enacted in the US in 1998, copyrights from 1923 or later that are still in force will stay in effect through 2018 or longer.
Certain works copyrighted in 1923 or later may already have entered the public domain. In particular, works published in the US before 1989 without proper copyright notice, and works published in the US before 1964 whose copyrights were not renewed, may have entered the public domain. However, works from 1923 or later that were originally published in countries outside the US may still be copyrighted regardless of whether they were printed with proper notice or renewed. To research whether a book's copyright has been renewed, or needed to be renewed, see this article.
Works never published prior to 2003 (and never registered for copyright prior to 1978) are now in the public domain in the US if they are by authors who died more than 70 years before the most recent New Year's day. (For 2013, this means authors who died before 1943.) Although this new rule does not put any previously published material into the public domain, it may allow some long-lost manuscripts and collections of letters to be published online as "new" online books.

You know the main reason copyright law in the US has continuously lengthened the copyright privileges to copyright holders throu legislation over the past half century without allowing things to go in public domain that should have under previous legislation? Micky Mouse.

I kid you not. Mickey Mouse made his appearance in The Steamboat Willie cartoon in 1928. Under original legislation, he would have been public domain in 2003. Disney wasn't going to let that cash cow go easily, so they lobbied hard and got a knight in shining armor in the form of senator Sonny Bono (hmmm..wonder why he cared about extending copyrights?) to go for boot and extend that legislation.

Won't be surprising at all if we see a problem arise again on Capitol Hill when the mouse is about to run out.

Not political here at all, just some interesting history on public domain. One of the few times my film degree and year of law school education could come in handy together ha!

There are 240 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 5.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/king-kong-on-ebay/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.