Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 89 posts
  • 61 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Plumonium
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2763 (resized).JPG
    20151209_171202.jpg
    kids.jpg
    1433347889785147151845.jpg
    emiliapinball.jpg
    Fun.JPG
    pinreach.jpg
    atticus-300x260.jpg
    IMG_20150516_200029816.jpg
    20150425_175111_zpsk45vsohf.JPG
    20140922_074431_zpsttgzh4pp.JPG
    20140922_161955_zpspfwhttqi.JPG
    20130922_144233_zpscc6f805e.JPG
    IMG_20140713_121010_765.jpg
    IMG_1573.JPG
    Marcs phone pics 3 7 2013 054.jpg
    There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 8 years ago

Do you feel there is minimum age (or understanding) to let kids to play pinball?

When friends and kids come over there are fascinated and want to play but they do not care about the ball or the rules. All they do is hitting both flippers constantly as long as the ball is live.

I feel it's just putting wear in the machine and they are just too young to play yet. They are like 3-4 years old.

What you guys think?

#2 8 years ago

my grandson started on my superman machine when he was that age....burnt up one set of flipper coils playing like kids do.....but now at 9 yrs old he holds the high score on half of my pins....i feal that if i had not let him play while younger that he would not like to play now and i would really miss that connection to him.

#3 8 years ago

My four-year old is crazy about pinball, but he really plays the game carefully rather than mashing flippers. I think it's fair to disallow young kids from playing on your pinball machine if they're just mashing buttons - as a corollary, I wouldn't let young kids mess around with a $4000 guitar unless they were being thoughtful and careful.

#4 8 years ago

Sounds fair. I believe pinball machines are games not toys.

#5 8 years ago

I let them them have it, if they burn something out so be it. Hasn't happened yet. My grandson is pretty good started at 4 now 5. My Granddaughter age 3 is horrible just hits the flippers non stop. They have a short attention span maybe one game here or there.

I like to set up Mustang for mustang multiball so if my grandson plays he has a good chance at achieving.

#6 8 years ago
    Quoted from Plumonium:

Sounds fair. I believe pinball machines are games not toys.

I completely disagree with this. They are nothing more than commercial grade toys.

If they can reach the flipper buttons they are old enough to play in my house.

#7 8 years ago

My son has been playing since age 3. I have higher end machines and I'm sure it puts wear on the flippers, but these machines were built for rough play and rebuilding flippers is cheap.

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from Radagast:

I wouldn't let young kids mess around with a $4000 guitar unless they were being thoughtful and careful.

Neither would I, but a 4,000 dollar guitar is completely different than a 4,000 pinball machine. There is nothing harmful that a young kid can do to a pinball machine. There are plenty of things a kid can do to mess up a guitar. These are not the same in any way outside of price.

#9 8 years ago

When I've had groups of young children visit, I've gritted my teeth while I watch them machine gun both flippers and repeat to myself over and over that these are commercial grade machines meant to be used and abused.

There is no damage they could permanently inflict, and I'd rather they have some fun with them than have it be a museum of look but no touch.

#10 8 years ago

My three year old girl mashes the flippers, but not always, and usually only when the ball is kind of near or on the flipper. I try and get after her for it and she'll do a few nicely hit shots. I've also aside from the two I have also have a mini-pin that Tomy Astro Shooter, she just mashes the crap out of it so I stopped letting her play because she doesn't understand it's not powered so her going nuts puts no power into the shots so it just never scores. She's learning, and it's not like i play them every single day for a bunch of quarters so I don't see her wearing the stuff out considering they're meant for public beatings.

#11 8 years ago

My niece and nephew started at 3 and definitely needed help with flippers but they still had a blast. Now they are almost 6 and my nephew is probably better than his Dad
    I went to their house last week and was greeted at the door with: can we go to your house and play pinball

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from LJH:

I went to their house last week and was greeted at the door with: can we go to your house and play pinball

This is what it is all about in my opinion.

#13 8 years ago

My 2, soon to be 3 year old son plays my game just fine. Doesn't smash the flippers all the time, know how to capture the ball in the flipper.

I say let them play! Bashing the flippers is usually the least of our concerns.

#14 8 years ago

Monkey flipping is OK, its what they're going to do before understanding. I've also seen a few 30+ year old kids do it, which is painful to watch. lol

Using shooter rod as jungle gym is not OK. This is a real problem with the joysticks on arcade games too, even though they survived it in the wild.

#15 8 years ago

How dare these kids use yuor games for fun!!
    I'd ban them from playing your games
    Pinball is a serious business, if you dont know the full ruleset then you shouldnot be playing

#16 8 years ago

Too young is them not being able to reach both flipper buttons. After have at it. One of the better players in the Seattle area is 5 years old and ranked 5600th or so in the world.

#17 8 years ago
    Quoted from Plumonium:

Do you feel there is minimum age (or understanding) to let kids to play pinball?
    When friends and kids come over there are fascinated and want to play but they do not care about the ball or the rules. All they do is hitting both flippers constantly as long as the ball is live.
    I feel it's just putting wear in the machine and they are just too young to play yet. They are like 3-4 years old.
    What you guys think?

WARNING: May be long, drawn out for some--but total truth below.
    This is an interesting question, and without reading any of the responses, and based on my own personal experience, I would let your kids play at the age of 4, the EXACT age I started.

Playing Pinball:
    Made me a human calculator - major math skills learned, early age, in the SS days of 2x 3x 4x 5x.
    Improved hand/eye coordination. No debate.
    Made my aim sharper, in everything. Kicking a soccer ball, shooting, baseball hitting.
    Anything involving aim, precision, goals reached, and just plain innocent fun, a good pinball fits the bill.

Harmed me, 0 ways.
    Certain pin titles certainly not for youngsters, but only very few.
    Addiction factor where I could not function without pinball: NONE.
    Reason: Pinballs stayed at the arcade and you left, and went on with life.
    Today's games and devices seem to dominate life.
    So, yes--I have 2 kids--both get to play whenever, once the usual homework and crap is done.

So, call me an avid pinball supporter. My daughter started at 3 1/2 - when I started adult collecting with Mata Hari. Put up a legit score of 381,000 as a 6 year old. Swept the bank twice (did it the hard way, not with 5x 5x 5x). I was impressed.

E-

#18 8 years ago

My son is 3 years old.
    He loves it so I don't care. I love to watch him play and I hope he keeps loving it even more so we have something we can do together when he's older.

look:

#19 8 years ago

No age limit for me as my machines were meant to be played and enjoyed by all. This is a personal decision and I respect others who are more protective of their machines.

Yesterday:

20150516_094301.jpg20150516_094301.jpg
    #20 8 years ago

Hey Rom, yeah your boy is pretty good for a 3 yo. It's a non issue, I'm really talking about dumb down mashing the flippers non-stop...

I mean, it's not about age but if you don't understand how it works, better leave it alone.

As well, I see some of you willing to have kids put a beating to your games. But some of you have 10+ machines. You can let them play with a less desirable game and if something goes wrong so be it...

#21 8 years ago

The new Sterns can definitely take abuse more than other pins can.

It's just simple age, and far less location activity (mileage) on most Sterns.

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Plumonium:

But some of you have 10+ machines. You can let them play with a less desirable game and if something goes wrong so be it...

WT?

All my games are desirable
    As long as they are working, any one can play them at any time

This kids want to play IM or SM before my classic Bally's or EMs

#23 8 years ago

My kid has been playing since he could reach the flippers. Start them young, hes only three now, but he knows not to mash the flippers, actually makes ramp shots, and on my WCS94 he usually starts a multiball one out of five games (of course just by sheer luck, but he does it.)

#24 8 years ago

Yeah, I guess I'll have to enforce the " hit the buttons only when the ball is around the flipper" rule, try to teach if they want to play. My way or the highway!

#25 8 years ago

I let my two play when ever I do... My son is now five and daughter is 2 1/2. My Son has the high score on our SS and his sister seems to like putting the quarters in best. Its up to you to decide who plays and if they don't do it right... Show them how. Never had any damage, or concerns.

Marcs phone pics 3 7 2013 054.jpgMarcs phone pics 3 7 2013 054.jpg
    #26 8 years ago

The pic is of my son playing when he was about two. And he's wearing his Portland hipster stocking hat to boot! Pinball is about fun!!!

#27 8 years ago

i dont understand the downvote patrol jumping on those who want to protect their machines. there are some things you just dont let children do unless they are at an age to understand how to properly use that thing. 1k+ machines fall into that category. i dont think you should ever stop a child from playing if they want, but you should certainly be allowed to tell them how to use that thing properly if youve put your time and money into it.

once i was playing with a three year old and obviously all she wanted to do was double smash, but she also didnt want to die, so once i pointed out that she wouldnt die as often if she tried to flip at the right time, she never did it again. point is, youre not doing the machine or the child any good by letting them be a coil burnin double flapper. they dont need to be grand champ, but even the youngest of the young understand that things are more fun when youre better at them.

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from stainedundies:

i dont understand the downvote patrol jumping on those who want to protect their machines.

I use the down vote when I disagree with someone's post. That's one of the main purposes for the down vote. What I don't understand is the sensitivity of some people when it happens. This is a forum for discussion. Not everyone is going to agree with you all the time, and that is okay.

Most of us have games for entertainment for all ages, others don't and that's okay. Op wanted feedback and he got it, I don't think he is surprised that some of us disagreed and others agreed.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from stainedundies:

i dont understand the downvote patrol jumping on those who want to protect their machines. there are some things you just dont let children do unless they are at an age to understand how to properly use that thing. 1k+ machines fall into that category. i dont think you should ever stop a child from playing if they want, but you should certainly be allowed to tell them how to use that thing properly if youve put your time and money into it.
    once i was playing with a three year old and obviously all she wanted to do was double smash, but she also didnt want to die, so once i pointed out that she wouldnt die as often if she tried to flip at the right time, she never did it again. point is, youre not doing the machine or the child any good by letting them be a coil burnin double flapper. they dont need to be grand champ, but even the youngest of the young understand that things are more fun when youre better at them.

Well said.

#30 8 years ago

Far out
    If I come to your place should Ibring a certificate of compedence that iI know how to play a pinball machine
    Will you supplywhite cotton gloves or should i bring my own?
    I realize that iIcannot shake your game, but am Iallowed to shift my stance from one foot to the other?
    I know i will not be allowed to swear, but can I cuss?

#31 8 years ago

I've seen adults treat machines on location way worse than my one or three year old. My three year old started when he was two and now beats many adults when he plays.

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Far out
    If I come to your place should Ibring a certificate of compedence that iI know how to play a pinball machine
    I realize that iIcannot shake your game, but am Iallowed to shift my stance from one foot to the other?

Yes, no, no, no.

#33 8 years ago

My niece turned 3 recently, last time she tried to play my pins (probably 2-3 months ago) she just hit the flippers afew times and wasn't even watching the play field or trying to follow the ball. Shes in to ipads though or will unlock her mums phone and just play games on that. I'd love it if she actually liked to play (she might when she's older) but right now she's more interested in the basketball key chain on the keys for my space jam.

#34 8 years ago

A pinball machine is a toy.

If they enjoy mine by machine gunning the flippers, that's OK by me. Even taught my 6 year old daughter how to get the bugs to murder the space marine on the DMD in Starship Troopers.

Some of you guys sound like Lord Business from the LEGO movie. Play my way or don't play at all.

#35 8 years ago

At the least you know that the 3 to 5 year old is not going to slam the game up against the wall, or lift the end and drop it.

#36 8 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

Far out

"competence." That one's on the house

#37 8 years ago

I've had young kids down to 3 yrs old play my machine. It's hard to listen to them pound on the flippers but I want everyone to enjoy them, especially kids. For most kids, it may be their only chance to play pinball and give them a lasting memory. One of the big reasons I like having pins is that others can enjoy them. I can't think of too many other hobbies that can be shared and enjoyed like pinball/arcade machines.

#38 8 years ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

This is what it is all about in my opinion.

Absolutely. My eight year old nephew mashed both flippers, of course this was after him saying "Whoa, what's the thing with the lights?", of course that made my day, as well as after draining the last ball getting all excited and saying "We made it to where no one has gone before!"... Star Trek.

#39 8 years ago

I have two nephews and an 8 year old step daughter that all like to play. They don't have a full on bug, but I really enjoy that they enjoy my games. Just got done playing a tournament with my wife and step daughter actually. My eight year old teaches all her friends how to play too when they are over.

#40 8 years ago

My kids are 7 and 9 and both pretty darn good. They show their friends, in a polite way, that the flipper only needs to be used when the ball is near it. If I hear machine gunning flippers, I will go down and explain some of the goals of each game and once they realize they are "aiming" they usually catch on. Even if they continue machine gunning, I grin and bear it- not worth being seen as "the asshole who told my kid what to do", and besides, it's just pinball and the kids that don't get it usually get bored before too long and walk away leaving four player games up
    IMG_20140713_121010_765.jpgIMG_20140713_121010_765.jpg

#41 8 years ago

no minimum age, my son started playing at one. I'd be more concerned about certain themes that aren't appropriate rather than the gameplay. And guys, quit being pansies about your precious flippers, the machine will be fine, and any minuscule wear is worth introducing a new generation to pinball.

#42 8 years ago

I started playing when I was 1 year old, my dad held me Up to the machine
    Won the Chicago tots division when I was 2
    There is no minimum age

#43 8 years ago

My son played just fine at 3. They all start out hitting both flippers over and over when they are new to it, but I've seen some adults do the same thing too when new to pinball. With a little patience and coaching on waiting until the ball gets to or close to the flippers before using them, they can get that down. They'll still use both flippers most likely. Here's my 3 years old at TPF 2013 and he even started getting a stance like daddy has sometimes. He was loving Viper Night Driving that year. My 2 year old is more interested in just seeing the ball and doesn't have hitting the flippers down yet. No problem with any kid playing any of my machines.
    IMG_1573.JPGIMG_1573.JPG

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from Sijcolo:

I've seen adults treat machines on location way worse than my one or three year old. My three year old started when he was two and now beats many adults when he plays.

Exactly, same reason you tell an adult to not shake your machine around like when they were teens at the arcade. If they can't understand that, old or young, leave it alone. I like the music instrument example, again, not a toys. I would want anybody mash on my piano if I had one...

#45 8 years ago

I honestly cannot think of a way a 3 year old could damage a pinball machine. Pressing the flipper buttons constantly can be annoying to others but doesn't hurt anything.

My 3 year old "plays" but doesn't really try / understand. My 5 year old on the other hand plays and is actually pretty good.

#46 8 years ago

Yeah, I guess the " being annoying to others" plays a big part of it as well. To me, it's it's the same as the piano example I gave earlier. There is a good way and a bad way. Be nice to the keyboard, let me show you an easy song, try to be gentle to the keys and it will sound better and will be easier for you.

I'm sure some people let kids mash on piano. That's OK, I'm just not one of them.

#47 8 years ago

Nothing makes me happier than seeing kids playing my machines. Obviously everyone has their own idea of what is appropriate behavior on their games, but I bought mine knowing that my kids and their younger cousins would be playing them a lot. My son will invite his friends over to play Call Of Duty or Madden and they'll end up playing pinball 3/4 of the time. I hear a lot of machine gun flippering going on but my kids will explain to them how to play. Although I play the most in our house, I bought the games for the whole family, including my brothers kids and my two year old niece/nephew twins. I just crack a beer and smile at seeing their eyes lighting up at these amazing machines. let em play!!!!

#48 8 years ago

Was playing a Metallica Pro on location today. 2 kids came over from their bowling, to watch. Brought back memories of my youth trying to see the playfield of a wood rail game in action at a Drug store lunch counter.

#49 8 years ago

My kid has been playing since he could get both hands on the buttons (with a step ladder to stand on). He is 5 now and loves to go play pinball with me. He only plays a few games and is done, unless we each grab a side. He is not as good as some of the kids I have seen play at his age. He cradles and no longer monkeys the buttons and tries to aim at the bell or other bash toy. He has been able to play any time he wants without supervision since he turned 4. I have had no issues yet.

As for as his little friends. I let them play. I try to teach them to wait until the ball is near the flipper before hitting the button. Some get it, some don't. I have steps of various sizes for them to stand on. I keep them supervised and finish out games they leave running and grit my teeth while they jackhammer away at the buttons. I do NOT let them hang on the shooter rod. That gets you a firm no and a 30 second timeout. They don't do it a second time.

All my games are available to play. My son's favorite is LTBR. He calls it Rock and Roll. He is now an ACDC fan and always selects Back In Black on the Jukebox. He also recognizes the band on the radio even if the song isn't on the game. Daddy, Its Rock an ROLL!

#50 8 years ago

my work mate is a huge button masher the couple of times he played, he's 50 years old I couldn't stop laughing it was hilarious , he kept hitting the plunger didn't realise you have to pull it back, then there was a while where he kept hitting the cabinet thinking that's how the flippers work , that's all before I showed him the flipper buttons which he went on to mash like a crazy man!! I doubt any 3 year old can do any worse than this guy!!!! They were made to make money for commercial use, pubs, arcades etc and some stand for years on end in the same establishment, so theres a heap of people out there not just children that will play the game heavy an not think twice about it, im sure they thought all this out when they made pinballs.. Your games will be fine..

There are 89 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kids-to-young-to-play-pinball?hl=ottawaflip and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.