2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by flynnibus
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

paddle (resized).jpg
    brat1 (resized).jpg
    GirlsPinball (resized).jpeg
    quote-anyone-who-hates-children-and-animals-can-t-be-all-bad-w-c-fields-61729 (resized).jpg
    download (2) (resized).jpg

There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 2 years ago

Set the ground rules, demonstrate to them, have intermittent times of supervision, and have a very stern/clear talk with your children before they come over so that they will hopefully police when you are not around.

For me, it is really fun when kids come over and my pinball machine becomes the main attraction. I let them play, and every 15-30 minutes I'll pop in to see how things are going, gently remind them of the rules, and let them have their perceived privacy (i.e. I may not be in the room, but I'm listening!)

#52 2 years ago

kids smaller than the lock bar tend to run and need rules/supervision.
    One took their head square into the corner of our GB cab a few weeks ago.
    I can't blame Stern for any cab splitting now.

#53 2 years ago

My daughter had a sleep over once and they put there drinks on pool table felt so got lots of rings now after i just had it refelted so yes watch them and give them rules

#54 2 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I'm curious what others do regarding kids(not your own) being allowed in your game room without adult supervision? My wife thinks I'm far to over protective of my basement game room. I don't want kids like neighbors, nieces, nephews, cousins in the basement without adult supervision. Some of them are overly rambunctious, and I just don't think they need to be around the pinball machines or playing them unless an adult is supervising. Some of these kids are constantly wrestling near the machines, sword fighting, and running around. My kids know how to act and even play them, so my kids alone I'm fine with being down there. I know ultimately these are only material possessions, but I like to keep my stuff as nice as possible. Anybody else have this? Am I over protective? Thoughts?

Just turn them off freeplay and watch those games earn, allowance and school dinner money all adds up and will go towards the next new game in the lineup

#55 2 years ago

I just had a 4 year old, 6 year old,and two 10 year olds tearing around the basement today. They were playing Lagos and barbies and playing on the games occasionally while I was outside doing yard work. I had to run down stairs when I heard one of the girls screaming something about pinball (I thought something was broken for sure). Turns out my 10 year old daughter had just started the LITZ mode for her first time. Glad I heard the scream so I could run down and watch her...
    the neighbor kids hadn't played before but when I showed up all their drinks were in the PinGulps and nothing was being hurt. I thought my kids how to treat the machines and they, in turn, taught their friends. Just let them know what's expected and then let them have fun.

#56 2 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

Heck, my kids don't even play my pins anymore.

They'll come back in 10 or 15 years, remember all the great times had playing pinball as a kid and then will start their own collection. However, the price of entry will be much higher!

#57 2 years ago

I have 5 grandchildren. One is an asshole. He's only two, but he comes up to my machines and pulls the key fobs clean off and drops them on the floor. Thinks it's hysterical. It's only going to get worse when he gets older. Today, it's a key fob. Tomorrow, a sharpie or peeled decals. And the parents don't seem to care.

Hey asshole! Guess what? Now I'm locking the door to the side of the house with all the toys. I love hearing him jiggle the locked doorknob.

And that's how I deal with kids.

#58 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

he comes up to my machines and pulls the key fobs clean off and drops them on the floor. Thinks it's hysterical. It's only going to get worse when he gets older. Today, it's a key fob. Tomorrow, a sharpie or peeled decals

Maybe he'll put one of those key fobs in his mouth and it will get stuck in his throat and then all your troubles are over.

#59 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Maybe he'll put one of those key fobs in his mouth and it will get stuck in his throat and then all your troubles are over.

One can only hope. If one goes, we'll still have four.

#60 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I have 5 grandchildren. One is an asshole. He's only two, but he comes up to my machines and pulls the key fobs clean off and drops them on the floor. Thinks it's hysterical. It's only going to get worse when he gets older. Today, it's a key fob. Tomorrow, a sharpie or peeled decals. And the parents don't seem to care.
    Hey asshole! Guess what? Now I'm locking the door to the side of the house with all the toys. I love hearing him jiggle the locked doorknob.

Grandparent of the decade!

#61 2 years ago
    Quoted from pintechev:

Grandparent of the decade!

I think so. Thank you.

#62 2 years ago

Depends on the kids. Some I would trust in the house alone, and others can't be left alone in the room for a minute without the little a-holes breaking something. For the latter, there are other places to play in and around the house, stay out of my gameroom.

#63 2 years ago

I think you just have to let it go. We have kids over and I can hear the machine-gunning from across the house and I think, "Well, they're on the pinball machines, but it won't last long and I'll just have to wipe the snot off those in the morning..."

But in truth, the games get played much harder by adults and there tend to be more breakdowns during those events...

#64 2 years ago

I don't think you are being overprotective at all. I want kids to play my games because they love them and I want to help keep the hobby alive by creating future pinheads. They aren't going to hurt the machine by playing it at all, I worry about things like the cab decals getting scratched or torn off etc. Had one kid come over and was just running aroun like mad putting four player games on every machine and running to every game and damn near ripping the plunger out of every game, then he took the keys out of every machine and thought it was funny and it took me awhile to convince him to tell me where all the keys were, goes over and puts his sticky fingers all over my TV screen, starts pulling all the tools out of my tool box......not a fun night and it did in fact stress me out. He also goes to my bobble head collection and starts going nuts with those and several of those are worth 500-600 dollars each. Should I have just not said anything and let him break them?

I told his dad about the bobble heads, told him to explain to the kid that they aren't toys and that they are worth a lot of money. I also understand that kids don't understand things like that too, so that's why they need to be supervised In my opinion. I couldn't believe that his dad just let him run wild like that either, unbelievable. If it's older games with painted cabs I wouldn't worry about those as much but the new games with cab decals I do. Putting on new decals isn't easy. I work hard for my money and I have a lot of money in my games, so I want to keep them in tip top shape because I take a lot of pride in them. I guess if that makes me a bad person or a prick then that's what I am.

#65 2 years ago

I was a nice guy one year and left my stle & i500 on free play during my daughters bday...man they took a non stop beating...every kid would spam the start button and start a 4 player game then walk after ball 2...So the next year I had them on pay to play..all lit up pretty as could be and didn't get a single coin drop...stingy little fu*ks!

#66 2 years ago

When I bought my house 20 years ago we got a ping pong table. Once we were settled in the house we decided to invite our realtor and his family over for dinner to thank him for helping us find our home. While the adults were upstairs socializing the kids were alone in the basement "playing". They were one boy around 10 years old, a girl around 8 years old and a boy around 5 years old. When they left after dinner I went down to the basement and 3 out of the 4 paddles were destroyed, the table was beaten up a fair amount, and the net was damaged. Based on his behavior we suspected the youngest was not very well disciplined and the older two were not the types of older siblings to manage the younger one.

I learned my lesson. Now that I have expensive pinball machines in the basement there is no way I would let kids I don't know go down there unsupervised by me or my wife. I am happy to have children play the games but I will make sure they are not disrespectful to my property.

#67 2 years ago

Don't have kids, problem solved.

#68 2 years ago

I wish I could agree, but I can't. Luck came my way and I fathered a beautiful daughter that is now holding her own. And one of her top priorities is to come up and hang out as often as possible. I must have done something right.

And she can whoop ass on pinball.

#69 2 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

And she can whoop ass on pinball.

Both my daughters are in their mid 20s and self-sufficient. They also can whoop my ass at pinball. We'll see how it goes when they start having my grandkids!

#70 2 years ago

Want that true arcade experience??
    Buy the kids a pile of pizza and turn em loose on the machines.
    Nothing more arcade-like than pressing those greasy flipper buttons.

#71 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

How did they deal with you, when you were a kid ?

LTG : )
    Disclaimer : Sorry. I saw the "one" and for some reason thought poor beelzeeboob, he must have got locked out a lot when he was two.

#72 2 years ago
    Quoted from GLSP3022:

Want that true arcade experience??
    Buy the kids a pile of pizza and turn em loose on the machines.
    Nothing more arcade-like than pressing those greasy flipper buttons.

"accelerated flipper button wear"

#73 2 years ago

One of these nephews on my wife's side was in the the basement a few years back along with all the other wild kids from the same Family. I found the next day when I went to check the basement that my fully restored defender side art was scratched all up from most likely the sword fighting I mentioned, and my centipede arcade side art was peeled off in tiny pieces 6" up from the floor. These are reasons I'm paranoid about unsupervised kids, especially ones I have recognized as wild. I'm not at all concerned about them actually playing the games while I'm around to make sure a game doesn't have an issue that may get worse while playing. I tell all kids every time about my rules, but it never fully sinks in. It also irritates me that the parents allow the rough housing in my house to.

#74 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Disclaimer : Sorry. I saw the "one" and for some reason thought poor beelzeeboob, he must have got locked out a lot when he was two.

I wasn't a dick.

#75 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I wasn't a dick.

Notice the past tense of this statement.

#76 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I wasn't a dick.

Heard you where abit of a boob though

Thank you ladies and gentleman I am here all week

#77 2 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

It also irritates me that the parents allow the rough housing in my house to.

Last year at my son's birthday party a couple of brothers were jumping on my couch in my basement. I tell them multiple times to stop jumping on my couch. So the father comes back to pick up his boys and he wants to go downstairs to play some pinball. The two brothers start jumping on my couch again, and I tell them to stop again. Dad looks at his boys, turns around, laughs and says "I'm glad this isn't my house", and walks back upstairs. I finally kicked the boys out of my basement and told dad that they have to leave because they weren't respecting my rules. We haven't heard from that family since.

#78 2 years ago

I looked over once and my 2 yr old daughter had pulled all of the Super Chexx rods out on one side of the game and was hanging on the rods like it was a jungle gym. I decided that even though Dad could, the machine "could not take it".

#79 2 years ago

I recently had a pool party, someone shoved my back door so hard it put a hole in my wall.

My kids have put dents on my main staircase that was refinished when I bought the house 3 years ago.

My 4 year old son threw the TV remote at the LCD tv, had to buy another $1000 tv.

Same child when he was 2 knocked a portable hard drive off the kitchen table, destroying the contents and the drive.

Point is, I could freak out about this stuff, lock my house down and as someone mentioned in this thread earlier, be Cameron's dad from Ferris Bueller and make my house a museum.

Or I can live my life, see everything as "stuff", do the best I can but accept that shit happens.

What's the worst-case-scenario? Some kid lights a pinball on fire, the pinball is destroyed along with a good part of my house. Any my thought at that time would be... glad no one was hurt. Everything else can be replaced.

#80 2 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Everything else can be replaced.

That's the way I feel...

...about my grandkids.

#81 2 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I'm curious what others do regarding kids(not your own) being allowed in your game room without adult supervision? My wife thinks I'm far to over protective of my basement game room. I don't want kids like neighbors, nieces, nephews, cousins in the basement without adult supervision. Some of them are overly rambunctious, and I just don't think they need to be around the pinball machines or playing them unless an adult is supervising. Some of these kids are constantly wrestling near the machines, sword fighting, and running around. My kids know how to act and even play them, so my kids alone I'm fine with being down there. I know ultimately these are only material possessions, but I like to keep my stuff as nice as possible. Anybody else have this? Am I over protective? Thoughts?

The best way to keep stuff nice is to keep others away from it, especially unsupervised children. A large dollar pristine collection is not a place for teachable moments for others children in my opinion. My friends all say you can't have anything nice with children running around and I'll take their advice. Kids are kids, some are very well behaved but many are not. This rule also applies to many adults. If you're not going to be okay with little nicks and scratches on your machine then I'd just keep them away from them or keep a close eye.

You could always buy machines that aren't perfect or players condition, then it just wouldn't matter. Some just don't care that much about the little nicks and scratches that a machine gets on the sides and legs. I bought my collection for my personal enjoyment so I don't put too much thought into how I can share them.

#82 2 years ago
    Quoted from sparechange1974:

The best way to keep stuff nice is to keep others away from it, especially unsupervised children. A large dollar pristine collection is not a place for teachable moments for others children in my opinion. My friends all say you can't have anything nice with children running around and I'll take their advice. Kids are kids, some are very well behaved but many are not. This rule also applies to many adults. If you're not going to be okay with little nicks and scratches on your machine then I'd just keep them away from them or keep a close eye.
    You could always buy machines that aren't perfect or players condition, then it just wouldn't matter. Some just don't care that much about the little nicks and scratches that a machine gets on the sides and legs. I bought my collection for my personal enjoyment so I don't put too much thought into how I can share them.

I bought mine for my own enjoyment, and a lot of that enjoyment comes from allowing others to enjoy them. Watching someone play who isnt a pinball afficionado is so much fun. They are actually letting their guard down and having pure fun (most of the time).

#83 2 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

I bought mine for my own enjoyment, and a lot of that enjoyment comes from allowing others to enjoy them. Watching someone play who isnt a pinball afficionado is so much fun. They are actually letting their guard down and having pure fun (most of the time).

Sharing my collection with Pinheads or like minded friends or family is different than children in my opinion. Once the initial thrill of the hobby settles down, the social aspect is what keeps it going.

#84 2 years ago

I am someone who wants my machines to not get scratched up and stuff. I just don't think it's necessary for little kids to be down there unsupervised. I'm all for going to the game room to allow them to play supervised and teaching them how to play. I have as much fun watching others enjoy my collection as I have playing myself. It just drives me nuts how some of the kids and their parents don't respect somebody's house and things inside the house. I guess I was raised to respect others property and not rough house inside. I don't want to always come off as the police around my collection, but I also don't want to simply allow possible scenerios to happen if I don't have to.

#85 2 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

I am someone who wants my machines to not get scratched up and stuff. I just don't think it's necessary for little kids to be down there unsupervised. I'm all for going to the game room to allow them to play supervised and teaching them how to play. I have as much fun watching others enjoy my collection as I have playing myself. It just drives me nuts how some of the kids and their parents don't respect somebody's house and things inside the house. I guess I was raised to respect others property and not rough house inside. I don't want to always come off as the police around my collection, but I also don't want to simply allow possible scenerios to happen if I don't have to.

#86 2 years ago

As a stay-at-home-school dad / soccer coach that spends most of my waking hours around a LOT 5-16 year olds, both home and public schooled, my answer might surprise you: I don't think you should feel the least bit bad about having that room off limits without you there. This generation of children have been raised by most of their parents to be rude, self absorbed assholes without a shread of empathy or resepct. Some of these poor little people barely seem to have formed a theory of mind.

Now, if you are a GOOD parent you actually owe it to THEM to let them play with your supervision because it seems most children have never had the experience of personal directive investment. This might be regional, but honest to God, the first time I tell a student, kid or player, "No" is often the first time they've ever heard the god damned word in their sad random life.

People are answering this question as if you're wondering if you should ever let them be touched (which would make you a dick head), you're not. It's perfectly reasonable, from what I've seen of the children being produced in this culture, to mandate your own supervision. Or yeah, wouldn't surprise me a bit to see them hanging off plungers like a monkey bar (or actively TRYING to break shit, you know, because), playing around underneath them yanking on cords, throwing shit at backglass, OR, Jesus Christ, these things are clad in metal armor... You do NOT want some hyper indulgent Disinfectant Mommy calling you in a panic because Connohr comes home with fat ass bumb and scrape on his forehead from getting rough housed into the corner of one of your pinball cabinet's by Aeideon.

#87 2 years ago

Well, for the people that think I'm an asshole for writing what I did, I should also add that the same kid knocked over my Fender Strat...which his father caught before it hit the floor, thank God. And now I have a custom made hammered dulcimer in the same room that could easily be destroyed and can't be replaced.

So I'll gladly be judged to be an asshole by those who don't know me. I'll still have a bunch of stuff in perfect condition and I'll explain to the little turd why I did it when he's old enough to understand. He'll still love me. And if he doesn't? Four others will. I still win, 4-1.

#88 2 years ago

I'm not even sure if there's a right or wrong answer to this question. Obviously in the end: your house, your rules.

But people are going to share their personal philosophies about it, since it's been asked .

#89 2 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Bingo!

#90 2 years ago

I've got 6 kids ages 14 to 2 years. My pinball machines are all out in the shop, so the younger ones don't have much unsupervised time with the machines. Besides, there are a lot more dangerous things out there besides the pinball machines. My older kids are pretty responsible, and I don't mind them going out there and playing unsupervised. When we have friends over, I will open up the large sliding door on the side of the shop, and since the shop makes up one side of our small back yard, it is pretty easy for me to keep an eye on things.

#91 2 years ago

And I should note, I mean you should feel comfortable requiring YOUR supervision, not just "adult" supervision. The people who created these children are in no way good stewards of them.

#92 2 years ago

And in the middle of this debate. I have a young girl ( maybe 6 ? ) playing Dialed In. I showed her how to start it, push the flipper buttons. And left her have fun. She said "it's hard".

Something magical about a child smiling and having fun.

#93 2 years ago
    Quoted from beelzeboob:

I wasn't a dick.</blockquote

When did that all change ? cause your clearly an asshole now !!! Haha

#94 2 years ago

That one was too easy...

#95 2 years ago

I am fairly meticulous about my collection. That said, I’m happy to supervise kids and teach them to enjoy the games. But I would never allow that to happen without supervision.

#96 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Hot wheels track across the ass and backhand across the face. That's what's missing today. Good old fashioned discipline.

#97 2 years ago

Lol hot wheels track!

#98 2 years ago

You were't loling at the time, I guarantee that.

#99 2 years ago

I've had things broken during my parties and it always irritates me. Not so much that it got broken (because it's probably bound to happen as there is a lot of glass here) but the fact that nobody owned up to it and came forward about it but instead kicked it under a game for me to find afterwards. We've had ALOT of kids here during the parties (we don't turn anyone away.....we'll almost anyone) and we've noticed the last few years things have gotten worse and the kids are left to just run ramped throughout the entire house and nobody knows who the parents are or where they are. It's getting to be a real problem for us which may be part of the reason we might have to take some drastic measures should things continue the way they have been. Yet sometimes there can be adults who are worse then there kids.... So how do we continue to have the parties while correcting the problems...?

John

#100 2 years ago
    Quoted from konghusker:

Lol, yep. I host a big party every year, and every time adults will set drinks on the glass.

What's wrong with people putting drinks on the glass? They're tables right?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 8,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Little Shop Of Games
    $ 36.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,299.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    £ 32.00
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 369.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Mircoplayfields
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 164.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 78.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    $ 39.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 62.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 249.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    € 159.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    FlipperLED
    $ 6.00
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 20.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    There are 114 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside