Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image-673.jpg
image-253.jpg
image-630.jpg
image.jpg

#1 10 years ago

I have an old Williams Laser Ball and the right kickback is not working. This being my first and only pinball machine, I'm fairly new at this. After examining the corresponding coil, I found it had melted somewhat and the coil sleeve was frozen. I replaced the coil and sleeve and I replaced the corresponding transistor (T8 I believe) that was clearly crispy.

Unfortunately, it still does not fire. It's not locked on and I don't see any blown fuses or other obvious damage to the board other than some cold solder joints which I touched up tonight. Still no kick though. What's my next step?

#2 10 years ago

Pre-driver transistor. If your TIP1XX transistor was toasty, then you should inspect the pre-driver transistor as well. Highly likely it was shorted out as well. You can check this by testing for DC V on the collector pin of the pre-driver while the machine is on. Zero volts would indicate a short.

#3 10 years ago

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll check it today and report back...

1 week later
#4 10 years ago

Ok sorry for delay but was busy at work for the last week. Finally have some time to devote to my poor pin. So, while waiting, I ordered a new pre-driver transistor from mouser and I'll swap that out tonight. Also got my new pop bumper parts in (yoke was broken on one so ill rebuild all 3) and I'm looking forward to that project too. I'll snap a few pics of the repair cause everyone loves pics.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this fixes my kickback problem.

#5 10 years ago

Here's a shot of the old burned up coil. image.jpgimage.jpg

The non working kickback. image-673.jpgimage-673.jpg

Here's the driver board being repaired. image-630.jpgimage-630.jpgimage-253.jpgimage-253.jpg

And success!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball
Led
Tools
Pincoder Store
Tools
$ 150.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop
Displays
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfields
Troxel Repair
Playfields
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kickback-not-kickin?responsive=0 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.