Kickback not kickin'

Started 1 year ago by LynxOne in forum Tech > Tech: Generic.

Forum » Tech » Tech: Generic » Topic

Kickback not kickin'

Nobody calls this topic a favorite. Click the star to add it to your favorites.

By LynxOne

1 year ago

Stats

• Started 1 year ago
  • 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by LynxOne

Posting activity (per day)

Oct 17th
3 posts
Oct 18th
No posts
Oct 19th
No posts
Oct 20th
No posts
Oct 21st
No posts
Oct 22nd
No posts
Oct 23rd
No posts
Oct 24th
No posts
Oct 25th
2 posts

Games linked to topic

Link this topic to the game(s) discussed in it.

Find in this topic

Show only posts in this topic that match certain words or are written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

1 year ago

I have an old Williams Laser Ball and the right kickback is not working. This being my first and only pinball machine, I'm fairly new at this. After examining the corresponding coil, I found it had melted somewhat and the coil sleeve was frozen. I replaced the coil and sleeve and I replaced the corresponding transistor (T8 I believe) that was clearly crispy.

Unfortunately, it still does not fire. It's not locked on and I don't see any blown fuses or other obvious damage to the board other than some cold solder joints which I touched up tonight. Still no kick though. What's my next step?

1 year ago

Pre-driver transistor. If your TIP1XX transistor was toasty, then you should inspect the pre-driver transistor as well. Highly likely it was shorted out as well. You can check this by testing for DC V on the collector pin of the pre-driver while the machine is on. Zero volts would indicate a short.

1 year ago

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll check it today and report back...

1 year ago

Ok sorry for delay but was busy at work for the last week. Finally have some time to devote to my poor pin. So, while waiting, I ordered a new pre-driver transistor from mouser and I'll swap that out tonight. Also got my new pop bumper parts in (yoke was broken on one so ill rebuild all 3) and I'm looking forward to that project too. I'll snap a few pics of the repair cause everyone loves pics.

I'll keep my fingers crossed that this fixes my kickback problem.

1 year ago

Here's a shot of the old burned up coil. image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

The non working kickback. image-673.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

Here's the driver board being repaired. image-630.jpg (Click image to enlarge)image-253.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

And success!

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or sign in if you already have one.