(Topic ID: 245837)

Kick out saucer stopped working

By RonMexico

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Just bought PAC-Man and was playing great until both kickout saucers just stopped working. Doesn’t recognize the ball when sitting in it. No score. No kick. Nothing. Nothing works when touched by hand on and under the Playfield. Both kick upon tests. Cleaned and checked all connections under Playfield and back cabinet.
This is my 1st SS machine, and I’m not good with computers and I know jack about trying to pin point the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 4 years ago

Check the switch to see if it's out of adjustment. Make sure the the contacts are clean. If you have a multimeter, you can check for continuity on both blades of the switch when it is closed.

#3 4 years ago

Examine the saucer switch underneath. Could be as simple as a solder connection broke. A quick test for the switch is to momentarily short the two wires that go to that switch .. does the coil fire? If yes then the switch needs replaced. Marcospecialties is a great resource for parts.

#4 4 years ago

Thanks for the responses.

I restored my EM machine no problem. I see nothing wrong with the switches, solder points, etc. It’s computer guts that I know nothing about. New MPU.

Both also fire on the system check. Am I looking at transistor? Simple fuse? Diodes? I’m at a loss.

#5 4 years ago

Reseat the connectors on the MPU, then try again. You may have a bad connection.

#6 4 years ago

Fixed it. Don’t really know what I did. Just cleaned each switch thoroughly, adjusted each kick arm slightly and, ta da, everything back to normal.

Thanks for helping a Solid State newbie!

2 weeks later
#7 4 years ago

What did you clean it with???
I have an intermitant problem with one of my kickouts
It works most of the time.... then won't work for an extended period..... but usually if the ball sits in the hole for about 10 seconds the score will registar multiple times then kick...
I was going to replace the leaf switch with one from macro-specialties

#8 4 years ago

NEVERMIND.... I found some crc contact cleaner I will try. I orginally just tried simply green cleaner and just wiped the lead off. but I will try something a little stronger before replacing the switch

#9 4 years ago

Inspect the switch contacts closely - the gold flashing is probably gone/compromised. Replace if so. (Assuming you are working on a solid state)

#10 4 years ago

yeah i do not recall seeing any

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 199.95
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kick-out-saucer-stopped-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.