View topic image gallery

0Kick-Off-Work-01 (resized).jpg
IMG_9072 (resized).PNG
IMG_9073 (resized).JPG
IMG_9070 (resized).PNG
IMG_9071 (resized).PNG
#1 6 years ago

Hello there,

I just got my first 3 machines and an issue came up with the Kick Off machine. The Pop bumpers were working correctly until one the fuses blew. Ever since they are unresponsive. When you push down the skirt contact is made below the playfield but nothing else happens. If I pull down the body it will ring the bell and award the proper amount of points. Any advice or direction would be appreciated. Thank you!

Cheers
RZ

#2 6 years ago

I'm not sure if this machine has AC or DC solenoids for the pop bumpers. The project date for the machine was in May 1975 and the production date started in June 1977. Between these times, Bally switched to DC solenoids for the pop bumpers. Do the pop bumper solenoids on your machine have a diode between the wire lugs? If yes, these are DC solenoids.

If they are DC solenoids on the pop bumpers, you'll need to look at the 5 amp fuse, the solenoid diodes and the bridge rectifier in the DC circuit. And make sure all the switches on the pop bumper assembly are clean and adjusted properly.

If they are AC solenoids, check all the switches on the pop bumper assembly and check the pop bumper (thumper bumper) relay switches.

#3 6 years ago

Thanks for the response @fredsmythson! I am new into fixing machines but am enthusiastic about learning the craft. Like any new endeavour, my first task seems to be googling the lingo. I have tried my best to Google my way through your answer and this is what I believe I have found.

1. There does seem to be a diode between the wire lug (Photos of bumpers 1-3 attached)
2. The 5amp fuse was blown. I replaced it but still no movement on the bumpers
3. I believe I have attached a picture of the bridge rectifier. It seems to be intact as well.

The problem is the pop being activated. I can manually make the scoring switch fire correctly.

Any further guidance would be much appreciated.

IMG_9071 (resized).PNGIMG_9071 (resized).PNG

IMG_9070 (resized).PNGIMG_9070 (resized).PNG

IMG_9073 (resized).JPGIMG_9073 (resized).JPG

IMG_9072 (resized).PNGIMG_9072 (resized).PNG

#4 6 years ago

Yes, the pop bumpers on your Kick Off machine are DC powered... If all three pop bumpers are not energizing, then there's probably a problem with the DC circuit. Do you have a schematic for the machine? Either power is not getting to the rectifier, there's an issue with the 5 volt fuse and/or fuse holder, or there's dirty pop bumper assembly switches. If you have a multi-meter you can check if there is 50-60 volt AC power to one of the four connectors on the rectifier. If so, then check for DC voltage at the 5 amp fuse on both sides of the fuse block. Then check for DC voltage at one of the pop bumper solenoid switches...

#5 6 years ago

Hi RZ and Fred
To support the discussion I show a snippet of schematics. On my computer I have many files on different (many) pins --- to "Bally Kick Off" my remarks in 2016 simply are: "Got it from somewhere". Such stuff I do not donate to ipdb as it is not my stuff. I'd allow myself to send to an pinsider (You ?) an copy in PDF- or JPG-format (each is about 6.5 MB data) - send me an personal message with an EMail-Address - I will send You what I have. Greetings Rolf

0Kick-Off-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Kick-Off-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#6 6 years ago

Hi pinsiders
I found the place I made me an copy of "Bally Kick Off": https://archive.org/details/arcademanuals?and=pinball&sort=-downloads&and[]=Kick%20Off --- click on the schematics and You land here https://archive.org/details/kickoffschematics --- scroll down a bit, on the right hand side (Download Options) make an right-hand-side-mouse-click on "PDF" - choose download and You will get the PDF-Schematics (4 pages).
(((I refer to : https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aladdinss-castle-schematics-on-archiveorg-more ))) - greetings Rolf

#7 6 years ago

Thanks for the help everyone! We were able to solve the issue over the weekend after using all of your advice. After measuring the resistance on all of the diodes there was a significant difference on one of them. After we soldered a new one on it worked like a charm. Thanks again for all the help!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/kick-off-bally-pop-bumper-issue?hl=meanderingbrewer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.