New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 104763)

Kia Soul owners, will it fit a pin and would you buy again?

By Dewey68

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pocketscience
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

My current car is a 2003 Hyundai Elantra with 175K miles on it that will go to my 15 year-old son to wreck, er, drive when he gets his license. It's been a great car. I wouldn't mind getting another Hyundai/Kia product but I'd like decent gas mileage and the ability to haul a pin in a pinch.

Does anyone out there have a Soul?

#2 6 years ago

I have a Soul. I do like my car quite a bit, but it will not fit most pins. According to pinwiki it will fit a Gottlieb System 1 or a Bally-17 with backbox removed. I've had to borrow vehicles in the past to move pins because of this and will be getting a slightly bigger vehicle next time. Most recently I've used a Forester and a CRV to move pins. So if it is important to have that option, I would look elsewhere.

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from spiralfry:

I do like my car quite a bit, but it will not fit most pins.

Wow, that is surprising. I see them in traffic everyday and they look like they should have plenty of room. Is it not enough depth, or opening height?

#4 6 years ago

I have 2012 Kia Soul exclaim and cannot fit a pin inside. I know the height is a problem. Not sure about the depth. Good Luck...

#5 6 years ago

Both height and depth are an issue.

#6 6 years ago

Well I guess I will continue to have no Soul.

#7 6 years ago

i have a soul (4u SX)
    what i do is remove the bolts from the hinge on each side and slide the backbox towards the front of the machine and slide the machine inside, just pull the passenger seat a little bit and fit perfectly.

if you remove the head, everything fits (cabinet and head on the side), even space invaders, haunted house.
    and slidding the backbox in the front of the machine, LOTR, 8ball deluxe, the get away, jurassic park, space shuttle... not a problem.

#8 6 years ago

honda fit, bro.

#9 6 years ago
    Quoted from davewtf:

honda fit, bro.

Good choice for many reasons.

Also, (Dewey68) - if you want to stick w/ a 'boxy' SUV and don't mind looking at a clean used, try a Honda Element - the original box mobile. (2003-2011) Boxy styling like a Kia Soul, Nissan Cube, Scion xB, etc. - but it's one of the few (if only model) that is plenty big enough to haul your pins around without having to remove anything from the machine. (That includes NIB - they fit right in w/out even having to unbox) The other brands look similar, but are actually much smaller both inside & out.

I snagged a new one in it's last year of production just for this & other utilitarian purposes as a spare vehicle. It really serves it purpose.

#10 6 years ago
    Quoted from KrustyBurger:

Also, (Dewey68) - if you want to stick w/ a 'boxy' SUV and don't mind looking at a clean used, try a Honda Element - the original box mobile

I wouldn't mind an Element, they seem to command a high price since they aren't being sold here any more.

davewth, the Fit is on my short list. I'm on the fence on getting a new one or buying the last generation. I've read some 2015's are having quality issues, but it is the first year of a new model, in a new plant, in a new country. I wish Honda would have given the Fit's with the MT a higher top gear instead of spreading the range over six gears instead of the old 5. I still like to row my own.

#11 6 years ago

My xB will hold a sys 3 game if I slide the head a few inches forward, and the mileage is pretty good too.

#12 6 years ago

Kia's suck

Once my sorento dies it will be my last vehicle from that company.

I had personal reasons to own kia's but now there's no reason so never again.

I could never understand why anyone would pick a kia over all the other interesting things out there

Impossible to look cool driving one. Much like its impossible for an adult male to look cool drinking a juice box

Pick something else

#13 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dewey68:

I wouldn't mind an Element, they seem to command a high price since they aren't being sold here any more.

You aren't kidding about this. I have a 2011 with around 4k miles on it currently. I went to CarMax to inquire about it's value not long ago as I was thinking of selling it as I rarely use mine. When they came back with their price they would purchase it for, it was approximately $350 more than what I paid for mine brand new almost 4 years ago! I was shocked. I ended up hanging on to it because the few times I need her, she really comes in handy. (but it's nice to know that these vehicles really have good resale value - especially w/ low miles)

The 2nd generation fit would be a good choice, plus I like the way they look just a bit better than the newest generation. Either way, good luck in your search!

#14 6 years ago

Pretty much any game will fit with the head off, WPC, sys11 etc with the head unbolted and slid forward. You do have to move the passenger seat forward. Lost count of the games I've moved in my Soul.
    Tip: Put the head in first as you need to angle it to get it through then stand it up, then body in, coin door to the front.

2 years later
    #15 3 years ago

Wow I just looked at a used Element online and there is what looks like a 5-6" drop inside. I'd want the pin to slide in smooth, not have a drop like that, yikes.

#16 3 years ago

No, it won't fit. And no, I wouldn't buy that pin again.

#17 3 years ago

Had a Soul as a rental last year. Most god-awful vehicle I've driven in a while. Looks like it was designed by Homer Simpson and the drive is almost as bad. You can do much better...

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 6.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Gameroom Mods
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 1.00
    Various Other Swag
    Pinside Shop
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 5.00
    Electronics
    Docent Electronics
    $ 9.00
    Cabinet Parts
    Third Coast Pinball
    € 8.10
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    $ 10.50
    Playfield - Decals
    The MOD Couple
    $ 79.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 19.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 64.00
    $ 16.00
    Tools
    PinballSolutions.eu
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 28.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Pinball Mod Co.
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 2.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 29.50
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    $ 45.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 209.99
    $ 135.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Pimp
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7.95
    Apparel - Unisex
    Pinball Wheezer

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside