(Topic ID: 29741)

PinballMikeD - Khabbi's AFM Restoration (Finished Game Video)

By PinballMikeD

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 85 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by swinks
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4233.JPG
IMG_4269.JPG
IMG_4279.JPG
IMG_4236.JPG
IMG_4240.jpg
IMG_4214.JPG
IMG_4222.JPG
photo(5).JPG
IMG_4193.JPG
IMG_4190.JPG
IMG_4191.JPG
IMG_4192.JPG
IMG_4173.JPG
IMG_4174.JPG
IMG_4167.JPG
IMG_4158.JPG
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 11 years ago

Finished game video (on the next page)

Well, figured I'd start a thread to document the playfield swap I'm doing on Khabbi's AFM. Hopefully I'll have the playfield in the rotisserie by tomorrow evening. Anyway, should get more fun as the project progresses.

IMG_3776.JPGIMG_3776.JPG IMG_3775.JPGIMG_3775.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Can't wait to watch the resto process!!!

#3 11 years ago

This was a nice Afm before restoring. The new Mirco afm playfield really shines. Colors are brighter too. This will bring it over the top.

Can you make another video like MB?

#4 11 years ago

can't wait to see this! added to favorites!

#5 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Can you make another video like MB?

I'll make a finished game video for sure, but I'm not planning on documenting all the minutia on this one. I think the MB videos cover a ton of stuff. Plus, the videos took almost as much time as the restoration did. Anyway, I'm sure Eric wants his game back sooner than later as well

#6 11 years ago

Got the playfield out and in the rotisserie now. Starting teardown. Crap, forgot to wash my hands before typing this... Now the keyboard keys are all black.....

IMG_3822.JPGIMG_3822.JPG

2 weeks later
#7 11 years ago

Quick update:

Playfield is pretty much stripped down now. Tons of solenoid dust on this one (checkout the socket tool's handle, it was red when I started the teardown). I'll start scrubbing all the wires tomorrow. It's always nice to use your vacation time to work on pins

IMG_3894.JPGIMG_3894.JPG IMG_3895.JPGIMG_3895.JPG

#8 11 years ago

Thanks for the Pics Mike. keep them coming...

#9 11 years ago

Here are some pics of the clear coated playfield, just a few thin layers sprayed with some added hardener to strengthen the clear. Now it's time to get back to scrubbing more parts - ugh....

IMG_3954.jpgIMG_3954.jpg IMG_3955.JPGIMG_3955.JPG

#10 11 years ago

Looking good, Mike!

Im sure Eric wont mind if it makes a few stops on the way home!

#11 11 years ago
Quoted from OLDPINGUY:

Looking good, Mike!
Im sure Eric wont mind if it makes a few stops on the way home!

Maybe Eric will let us have a christening party? You gotta bring the cristal though

#12 11 years ago

Looks amazing Mike! Your attention to detail is incredible, and I feel lucky that you're the one doing this Resto for me!

Keep the pics coming!!

#13 11 years ago

Here is a sample of chrome powder coating with clear top coat. Sure beats buying new lift bars. I should have a ton of pieces back next week, then it will be time to start reassembling the coil mechanisms.

IMG_3996.JPGIMG_3996.JPG

#14 11 years ago

Is it chrome or is it powder coat?

#15 11 years ago

It’s powder coating. This is a metallic finish that is made to emulate chrome (not a perfect replication, but it beats the original zinc plating). The powder coat is then covered with a clear top coat.

1 week later
#16 11 years ago

Here are a few pics of the rebuilt coil assembles. The powder coating turned out nicely. Not as nice as chrome plating, but that would just be over the top crazy.

IMG_4051.JPGIMG_4051.JPG

#17 11 years ago

More

IMG_4048.JPGIMG_4048.JPG IMG_4050.JPGIMG_4050.JPG

#18 11 years ago
Quoted from PinballMikeD:

Here are a few pics of the rebuilt coil assembles. The powder coating turned out nicely. Not as nice as chrome plating, but that would just be over the top crazy.

Couldn't you just tumble those parts and have them coming out looking almost like chrome?

#19 11 years ago

Tumbling is great, but I've never had "chrome like" results when doing it. Nothing beats buffing if you want to make a piece of metal shine. I guess if you tumbled each coil bracket for 24 hours you could get them close, but not the same as buffing (maybe is you had an industrial tumbler). The drawback to buffing is that you end up stripping the zinc chromate coating (if you buff hard enough) off of the metal and then need to clear coat the metal pieces to prevent oxidation. I figured that powder coating would be more durable than rattle can clear, as it's .002 to .003 inches thick. Plus, it only cost me about $70 to do all the pieces on the bottom of the playfield because I prepped all the pieces myself (sand blasted, applied heat tape on coil stops, and plugged the threaded holes). It's a different look to be sure, but very clean and sleek. The pictures really don't show the true shine.

It would have cost more money to buy new playfield lift bars and a new ball through assembly from mantis.

#20 11 years ago

It's an interesting look for sure. I like that you're trying new things, and it does look very nice.

I applaud reusing original parts when possible. Too many people throw a bunch of new parts at a game that has perfectly serviceable parts on it and call it a 'restoration'.

The one thing I wonder about - how will powdercoat stand up in the locations like on the playfield stands - over time, will lifting and resting the playfield on the lockdown receiver wear/chip the finish?

Tumbling can produce a chrome-like shine, but you're going to need to leave it in the tumbler for awhile, use additive, and potentially tumble with walnut shells and later corn cob. I've had excellent luck using a red scotch brite pad on playfield brackets to knock down any built up corrosion and then polishing it by hand using mothers mag polish - but as you mentioned, some brackets will corrode if you don't use a wax or clear coat finish pretty quickly again.

I've been debating getting a home nickel plating setup.. but that chrome powder does look pretty close to original, which is something I like. Chrome is a little too over the top for my tastes. I tried it on a few pins, and it looks nice, but doesn't look 'original'.

So many choices when doing a restoration. On the bright side, it makes a bunch of great looking pins that don't all look *identical*

#21 11 years ago

John,

I was wondering the same thing about the lift bars in terms of scratching. That’s why I typically go with the new stainless ones. I must admit that I’m often guilty of replacing old parts in favor of new ones. For example, I don’t like using old micro switches or other parts that have a fixed life span. I don’t want to mess around with a flake switch six months after a restoration.

Anyway, I actually got the idea to powder coat the lift bars from Eric, the game’s owner. He had the lift bars powder coated on his IM - looks great. I suspect he lays a towel or something down when resting the playfield on the lockbar receiver. I think the coil brackets will hold up fine (I can’t see how they’ll wear any worse than the original zinc plating).

2 weeks later
#22 11 years ago

Here is a before and after of the cabinet. Decals had already been installed before I got the cab, but the inside needed some TLC (sanded, repainted, new ground braid installed, etc.). I still have some work to do, but much improved.

IMG_4108.jpgIMG_4108.jpg IMG_4131.JPGIMG_4131.JPG

#23 11 years ago

Guide rails re-grained and buffed to a mirror like finish. Pop bumpers completely rebuilt.

IMG_4133.JPGIMG_4133.JPG

#24 11 years ago

Here are some pics of the powder coated brackets installed.

IMG_4134.JPGIMG_4134.JPG IMG_4132.JPGIMG_4132.JPG

#25 11 years ago

very nice work, cant wait to see the finished product.

#26 11 years ago

Got all the wire harnesses back on, just a little more soldering to do.

IMG_4136.JPGIMG_4136.JPG

#27 11 years ago

This looks amazing! Someday I will own a crazy nice restored machine like this.. someday!

#28 11 years ago

looking great!

Jon

#29 11 years ago

Selling or trading ?

#30 11 years ago

I don't think Eric is going to sell this machine anytime soon. When it's done it will have: (1) Bill Ung saucer kit, (2) Ung expansion kit, (3) black mirror blades, (4) shaker motor, (5) color DMD, (6) pinball pro sound system, (7) custom air brushed ships, (8) LEDs, (9) a ton of custom chrome and powder coated parts, and (10) custom backbox lighting.

#31 11 years ago

Nice AFM or a sm and Xmen Le You never know : )

#32 11 years ago

Got the coin door back from Alex. Nice guy and quality work for sure.

IMG_4141.JPGIMG_4141.JPG

#33 11 years ago

Nice!

#34 11 years ago

New oak wood side rails installed, much better than the cheap laminated pines ones from the factory. Also, I have all of the buffed guide rails installed now. Flame polished the bumper caps and installed all new rubbers as well.

IMG_4144.JPGIMG_4144.JPG

#35 11 years ago

The decals were damaged around the legs when I received the machine, peeling and lifting in spots. Even with pincab protectors behind the legs you could still see decal damage at several of the legs. Without re-decaling the entire cabinet, this (see pictures) was the most economical fix to cover up the existing damage as well as helping to prevent any further damage.

So, here's what I did:

I scored the cabinet decals, going around the outside of the pincab protectors with a razor blade, to help prevent any future lifting or peeling. The score lines act as a pressure break point between the legs and the cabinet, so the decals shouldn't lift beyond the score lines. Then, using a pincab protector as a template, I cut some peel and stick felt in the shape of a pincab protector. I applied the felt pieces (2 per leg) to the cab, overlapping the scored lines by 1/4" and then put the pincab protectors on top of the felt. On a new cabinet I'd use the new Stern style leg protectors, but that wasn't an option is this case. FYI - The method described above is a variation on an HEP technique that Chris posted on YouTube awhile back.

IMG_4142.jpgIMG_4142.jpg IMG_4153.jpgIMG_4153.jpg

#36 11 years ago

The ships have been painted (2 tone fade from gun metal to metallic silver) and cleared. Here’s a pic showing a few of them placed in my machine.

IMG_4158.JPGIMG_4158.JPG

#37 11 years ago

Here's a close up, but the camera flash throws the color off a little. The ship in the back is original, so you can see the difference.

IMG_4167.JPGIMG_4167.JPG

#38 11 years ago

looking really nice Mike...

#39 11 years ago
Quoted from vcloverjr:

looking really nice Mike...

+1! Killer attention to detail!!

#40 11 years ago

Everything on the bottom of the playfield is complete. Now it's time to test all the lighting, coils, and switches before I put the playfield back in the cab. Also, I got all the chrome parts back from Mike (awesome work as always). Checkout the apron - bling bling.....

IMG_4174.JPGIMG_4174.JPG IMG_4173.JPGIMG_4173.JPG

#41 11 years ago

Really nice. If you are showing this on YouTube, post the link for us.

#42 11 years ago

I'll shoot a video once the game is complete.

2 weeks later
#43 11 years ago

Well, just a few minor details to finish up otherwise she's all done.

IMG_4192.JPGIMG_4192.JPG IMG_4191.JPGIMG_4191.JPG

#44 11 years ago

Few more pics:

IMG_4190.JPGIMG_4190.JPG IMG_4193.JPGIMG_4193.JPG

#45 11 years ago

Nice Mike! Look forward to the video. Looks great. I scored one of these AFM playfields. Impressive. Pic dont do it justice. How were the dimples?

Did you chrome the scoop?

photo(5).JPGphoto(5).JPG

#46 11 years ago

Damn that's looking good! Without a doubt, this will be the prize of my collection.

AV8, I got my playfield the same time you did, but upon further discussion with Mike I decided to have it sent off and gone through... and a mirror clearcoat added. The stock playfield was very nice, but I wanted perfect!

Mike had over 53 pieces on this chromed.. so it's going to shine!

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from Av8:

Nice Mike! Look forward to the video. Looks great. I scored one of these AFM playfields. Impressive. Pic dont do it justice. How were the dimples?
Did you chrome the scoop?

The stroke of luck scoop is the mantis upgrade made out of stainless steel. I buffed the scoop to emulate the chrome look. Eric went with a lot of chrome accents, so I wanted everything that wasn't chromed to look as close as possible. The upkicker that feeds the left wireform was done in black nickle.

Similar to MB, the dimples on the right side were off. The flipper, slingshot, and in/out lane switches were the worst.

Congrats on the playfield.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Khabbi:

Damn that's looking good! Without a doubt, this will be the prize of my collection.
AV8, I got my playfield the same time you did, but upon further discussion with Mike I decided to have it sent off and gone through... and a mirror clearcoat added. The stock playfield was very nice, but I wanted perfect!
Mike had over 53 pieces on this chromed.. so it's going to shine!

If it wasn't chromed it was either powder coated, clear coated, buffed to shine like chrome, or re-painted. Also, that 53 pieces didn't include the legs, BB hinges, side rails, or lock bar that were already plated where I got the game.

#49 11 years ago

Looks sweet! You do great work Mike!

Todd

#50 11 years ago

Ball park of what it costs to have a restoration like this done?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westwood, NJ
$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 21.50
$ 44.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinBoss Mods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 85 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/khabbis-afm-resto-begins-11612 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.