(Topic ID: 50873)

Key broken off in backbox lock (Solved!)

By mof

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by RetroRick
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Hammer-Breaking-Glass.jpg
key_broken_off.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Got my Cyclone shipped out safely by NAVL and it plays well. Unfortunately, the seller left a key in the backbox by accident and it was sheared off...

Wondering the best solution with the key still in there.

thanks!
-mof

(I look forward to solving this. I suppose the skill will come in handy some day when I pick up a total beater with no keys.)

key_broken_off.jpgkey_broken_off.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Try turning it with a screw driver, if you get in then replace the lock.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Aside from drilling it out, I'm wondering if any of these would work:

High power magnet?
Tweezers from a Swiss Army knife?

#4 10 years ago

Oh...I like LTG's idea more.

#5 10 years ago

Either get the key out using a lock pick and then pick the lock

or yes if it turns just disassemble

or

just get the drill out now and drill out the lock

--Jeff

#6 10 years ago

Hey Mof -
Seems like you have issues right now, but when you get this straightened out, be sure to post some pics of your new Cyclone.
Congrats and good luck!

#7 10 years ago

Looks like it broke in a good spot and all the tumblers should be depressed.

Should just turn if you can get a good bite with a srewdriver.

But try and turn it the correct way on the first try. Do you have other pins of the same manufacture so you can test which way to turn it.

Magnet won't work. Keys aren't magnetic. A pick will get it out, but leaves you wwith picking it which isn't incrdibly hard, but can be a pain.

If it doesn't turn I'd just drill it.

Good luck and keep us posted

#8 10 years ago

Thanks RCA1, I'll post some pics tonight -- the game is nice.

As for the key, I think LTG's right - see if it turns now, it just might !

I like how I can post a question on a lunch break, and then 6 hours later, go home and have several ideas to try. This community is the best.

I am sure hoping not to drill. Not looking forward to cleaning that up inside the backbox.

thanks!
-mof

#9 10 years ago

There is another Option...

Hammer-Breaking-Glass.jpgHammer-Breaking-Glass.jpg

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

I am sure hoping not to drill. Not looking forward to cleaning that up inside the backbox.

Drill with the ShopVac running along side of it.

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from mof:

Thanks RCA1, I'll post some pics tonight -- the game is nice.
As for the key, I think LTG's right - see if it turns now, it just might !
I like how I can post a question on a lunch break, and then 6 hours later, go home and have several ideas to try. This community is the best.
thanks!
-mof

Drilling is not as bad as it sounds. I would try a screw driver first since the key broke inside of it.

#12 10 years ago

Here's your answer,bro!

Good luck!

#13 10 years ago

Use care whatever....

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

Here's your answer,bro!
Good luck!
» YouTube video

@27dnast -- The videos did the trick. MUCH thanks !!!

1) touch of WD40 > cuticle nail cutters > removed key
2) shoved the key in all the way
3) took pliers reverse and wedged them in like a wide screw driver
4) practiced on my Taxi a few times until I was ready
5) Open SAYS-A-ME !!!
6) Removed key

VICTORYYYYYYY !!! Another great save from the Pinside community.

Man this machine looks nice in the backbox. Very clean. This is a good Cyclone. I'll eventually post pics in the thread where I bought the machine.

#15 10 years ago

Glad you got it! I felt like a jackass I miss it already though...

#16 10 years ago

Congrats look forward to pics.

9 years later
#17 1 year ago

mof - I have exactly the same issue, but I do not know whether the key that the previous owner broke off in the back box lock is the correct key! In my case, he provided two "keys" with the machine, one broken stub (which I later found the rest of inside the back box lock), and the other a full key that fits the coin box lock. The number printed on the key heads of both are the same. Personally, I have never seen a machine with the same lock on both the coin box and the back box, so I'm thinking someone THOUGHT the key should fit, but it didn't, and it got stuck, and the key broke. I am telling you this because in my case, the broken part of the key (with the teeth) may not come out as yours did. But I would like to try what you did. However I do not understand the steps you documented.
The video posted by 27dnast doesn't play for me either in his posting above nor if I go to the video in YouTube (video just "spins"; never starts playing). And the transcript of the video is just AWFUL... the guy starts and stops and never really explains well in words. So ALL I have to go with is what you documented above, in your post.

Here is what you posted, along with my questions:

1) touch of WD40 > cuticle nail cutters > removed key
(I think I understand this step... spray a bit of WD40 or silicone spray in the keyhole, and try to work the broken part of the key out with something like nail cutters, tweezers, etc. Not sure this will work for me if it is the wrong key and is jammed in there, but I will try.)

2) shoved the key in all the way
(Okay, at this point you have the broken key out. Are you taking that broken part and shoving it BACK into the keyhole?? Or do you have another (good) key and are shoving it into the keyhole?)

3) took pliers reverse and wedged them in like a wide screw driver
(I have no idea what you mean by "pliers reverse and wedged them in like a screwdriver". Pliers are quite wide. And if the broken key is already in the slot, how was there any room to "wedge pliers in like a screwdriver"? Are you using needle-nose pliers at this point? Even so, with the broken key taking up the only space in the keyhole, where are you wedging the pliers into... and what do you mean by "reverse"??)

4) practiced on my Taxi a few times until I was ready
5) Open SAYS-A-ME !!!
6) Removed key
(If this was the broken key that is back in the lock, how did you get it back out this time? Seems it may have been even further into the key slot than it was the first time?)

In my case, since it MAY not even be the correct key that has broken off inside the lock, I am not even sure I will be able to pull it out, even after using silicone spray. I will try tonight. If I can't, I may have to resort to drilling (into the broken key AND the lock cylinder). And even then, I am not sure of what may happen. (I just drilled a coin box lock on another machine this morning, and the lock STILL won't turn! I am debating about continuing to drill into the lock and into the screw in the back of the lock that holds the locking "bar".) In this case, drilling it could be catastrophic, because the lock is in the top of the back box, and I have no idea whether the back of the lock is attached to a rod or other mechanism that may fall apart, and then I will have a broken lock and still not be able to get into the back box... then what?? This is not like a coin box lock, where the lock simply secures the door from being opened. In this case, the lock is nowhere near "something" that may swing open. So, turning the lock MUST pull on a rod or something, and if that link between the lock and the rod is severed or drops off, I will be in real trouble!

(Thanks, if you can expand on your list of what you did!)

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from RetroRick:

if you can expand on your list of what you did

Bro if I had a wayback machine, I'd hop in and watch ME over my shoulder to help you out... 9 years ago -- I can't recall how this went down.

sorry!
-mof

#19 1 year ago

Ok by reverse pliers I think I meant these:
IRWIN VISE-GRIP Convertible Snap Ring Pliers, 6-1/2-Inch
https://www.amazon.com/VISE-GRIP-Convertible-Pliers-2-Inch-2078900/dp/B000JNRR0Y/ref=asc_df_B000JNRR0Y/

So I think what I was saying is that I removed the key, put it back in all the way, and then instead of just turning everything with a flathead -- I used reverse pliers. (Probably because my biggest flat-head isn't that big)

I practiced on the TAXI means I made sure what direction and what degree of motion I could make (without breaking something)

that's the best I can do to interpret my 9 year old instructions.
mof

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from RetroRick:

, I may have to resort to drilling...

For a backbox lock, use a sharp 1/8" drill bit and drill the lock tumblers, not all the way through. Drill, blow out shavings, try to turn with a standard screwdriver. If it doesn't turn, repeat until it does. Again, only drill the tumblers. A double sided lock will take a while, but eventually a screwdriver will turn the lock.

For coin door locks, use a 1/4" bit and drill all the way through. Hasp will fall off.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from phishrace:

For a backbox lock, use a sharp 1/8" drill bit and drill the lock tumblers, not all the way through.

Ah, excellent advice; makes a lot of sense. Thank you! I will try that after I pick up a 1/8" titanium bit (I only bought a 1/4" titanium bit on Monday because that's what someone else recommended for the coin box lock in another thread). I suppose I will also need to drill through that broken key that is jammed in the lock as well, since there is not enough of it to grip to ease it out.

mof - Thank you for trying to remember That helped too, as now I understand that your situation was a bit different than mine, since you were able to use what you had of the key.

RR

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 2.50
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 39.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Copley, OH
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

3,200 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Collegeville, PA
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/key-broken-off-in-backbox-lock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.