(357 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

0B59F285-7CEE-4D8D-B209-1666D711BDD7 (resized).jpeg
20210602_204047 (resized).jpg
MadMax (resized).jpg
6995CC15-8FD9-40FD-8235-9647C17B5D46 (resized).jpeg
0B5C5FFA-1099-4C7E-A1C8-27BADC7936BF-800x1237 (resized).jpeg
There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

As we leave 2020, Keith Elwin has no doubt become one of my favorite designers at Stern. He has already delivered 3 amazing games, but What’s your favorite Keith Elwin Stern Produced pin and why? Personally, I thought Jurassic Park would take the cake on this one for me, but after playing IMDN with the update; and reliving the speed, sounds, Adrenalin, intensity, etc...I can’t decide. I’ll probably play both a little today for this New Year’s Eve and post a vote, but what say you?

Happy New Year, lets keep it fun as all 3 are obvious hits.

#2 3 years ago

I choose surf and turf.

#3 3 years ago

Iron Maiden, great layout, great rules, great artwork. One of the best games Stern has ever made.

#4 3 years ago

JP was a great pin and I miss it but Maiden gets top prize for me. AIQ shoots great just not into the theme at all. I hope he gets a good theme for his next release, I'm thinking, I don't know...............The Road Warrior.

0B5C5FFA-1099-4C7E-A1C8-27BADC7936BF-800x1237 (resized).jpeg0B5C5FFA-1099-4C7E-A1C8-27BADC7936BF-800x1237 (resized).jpeg
#5 3 years ago

JP2 by a mile (and I've owned all of them)...and the custom A/V project takes it to the next level. Stunning.

#6 3 years ago

I prefer Maiden.

What was added to the new code?

#7 3 years ago

I have not played Infiniti Quest, but out of Maiden and JP, I pick my JP pro. Getting a Maiden premium someday may be cool, but the JP with movie assets is awesome. Already played two games on it today, so I voted with my wallet and time I guess.

Just for staring at... I vote IM Premium for sure.

#8 3 years ago

I have owned all three. I still own Maiden and Jurassic Park I traded Avengers. I would rank them 1 Maiden, 2 JP, and 3 AIQ.

#9 3 years ago

Had all three.

Maiden was a dream theme and lasted 2 years... will pick up a pro in the future and probably bolt it for a while.

JP was gone after a few months, couldn't connect with it.

Avengers theme does absolutely zero for me... music and call outs are whatever... but holy mackerel is the layout something special. Just a joy to shoot and I've been really enjoying figuring out the rules. My vote goes to Avengers.

#10 3 years ago

Owned jp & Maiden and would go Maiden prrtty easy there.
Looking to add avengers next so I can't say till then

#11 3 years ago

Coin toss between IMLe or AVIQLe, slightly leaning towards AVIQLe...maybe

#12 3 years ago

not a bad game in the list.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Looking to add avengers next so I can't say till then

You’ll dig for sure. Gotta get me a BK pro next!

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

You’ll dig for sure. Gotta get me a BK pro next!

Yeah buddy has one and put some hours on it and loving it.

#15 3 years ago

# 1 Avengers
# 2 Jurassic Park
# 3 Iron Maiden
If Iron Maiden had a theme that I enjoyed more it would change the rankings. It’s a fantastic game but I do contemplate selling it sometimes because of the theme.

6995CC15-8FD9-40FD-8235-9647C17B5D46 (resized).jpeg6995CC15-8FD9-40FD-8235-9647C17B5D46 (resized).jpeg
#16 3 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Yeah buddy has one and put some hours on it and loving it.

Got the space... just holding off for a properly priced one without the over-inflated topper or God-awful custom shooter rod within driving distance.

Speaking of which, I decided to move to Buffalo since the Bills are doing OK. Looks like 2.5 hours betwixt us now should we ever decide to meet in the middle someday! Also, I specifically used the word betwixt because I know you like it. Don't say I never did anything for you!

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

JP2 by a mile (and I've owned all of them)...and the custom A/V project takes it to the next level. Stunning.

Do you have any video. I just put a Premium on order.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

Speaking of which, I decided to move to Buffalo ....

Hey yeah I noticed the location before reading the post...ibhopebits everything you dreamed of!

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

JP was a great pin and I miss it but Maiden gets top prize for me. AIQ shoots great just not into the theme at all. I hope he gets a good theme for his next release, I'm thinking, I don't know...............The Road Warrior. [quoted image]

That i can agree on Hazoff!

I sold IMDN mostly because i think it was the low point of Stern's production quality and i spent most of my time fixing the Sarco POS mech, captive balls and other issues. Great layout.

JP is the best layout, ruleset combo of any game ever. The only thing missing is an A+++ theme versus an A for me.

AIQ is fantastic! I might end up liking it better than all of them, and it would be despite the theme, which is a B+ for me. The layout/rules combo are F ing awesome.

Here's the bottom line, it's not just Elwin, whoever else is on that team like Rick Neagle, they are just crushing it.

It's Elwin and Lyman for me, maybe Eddy now too because i really like STH.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

# 1 Avengers
# 2 Jurassic Park
# 3 Iron Maiden
If Iron Maiden had a theme that I enjoyed more it would change the rankings. It’s a fantastic game but I do contemplate selling it sometimes because of the theme.
[quoted image]

Agree with your assessment Gunny, wtf is behind those pins?

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Don’t post a video publicly. This is one reason for the new Stern EULA. They don’t have the rights to movie clips and the licensor sees the videos popping up.

#22 3 years ago

iron maiden with an actual good theme would be tough although that middle shot does nothing for me.

JP no question #1
AIQ
Maiden (great call outs and the pro is a great value)

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from TheGunnett:

# 1 Avengers
# 2 Jurassic Park
# 3 Iron Maiden
[quoted image]

Nice! This is the ultimate way to compare these three Elwin games - side by side LE's!

I only own an IMDN myself, but it is a great game!

#24 3 years ago

JP is solidly in first place followed by Maiden and AIQ trailing a ways behind. I love how AIQ shoots but the theme and rules fall flat with me.

JP I feel just has more ways to approach it than Maiden. In Maiden it started to feel like a lot of my games progressed in the same way. Cyborg MB would usually just come to me so it got a bit repetitive. With that being said I do regret selling my Pro and think its a great game.

On JP you can choose to focus on Paddocks or Trex modes and play it in more ways. You also have the Escape Nublar challenge. I think the Paddocks are brilliant because it allows you to take different paths to the Visitors Center. I just feel that there is a bit more depth and strategy with JP vs. Maiden. AIQ is probably more similar to JP in rules but I just don't find the theme or rule implementation as much fun as JP.

Lastly I think JP has the best toys of the 3 games. The moving T-Rex is implemented really well and is one of the best toys Stern has done. The Raptor Pit is also really well implemented. For Maiden I was content with owning the Pro.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

I don't, but I'd suggest picking up an SD card and getting the image by emailing [email protected].

#26 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I don't, but I'd suggest picking up an SD card and getting the image by emailing [email protected].

Thank you sir... I have Imdn and like I said ordered JP prem. IMO Elwin is the newest master of playfield layout. Though I dog G&R I had a chance to play an LE today. Very immersive but still had the tempo of a JJP game. It was gorgeous to look at and build was amazing. Nice stuff.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

AIQ is probably more similar to JP in rules but I just don't find the theme or rule implementation as much fun as JP.

I don't see any similarity. Just played a fairly long game of AIQ...the mini wizards do nothing for me. Soul Gem is cool the first dozen times, but then is like chopping wood. Surprised the shots are fixed...seems like changing the shots would at least mix it up. Don't get Black Order MB, but played it for awhile. All the gem modes are monotone (in terms of audio). No doubt it's a fun combo fest to bang the ball around, but it just doesn't have the cohesiveness and story telling that JP2 has. I'm also not an Avengers fan, so all the callouts sound goofy. JP2 is in a league of it's own...fires on all cylinders.

#28 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Agree with your assessment Gunny, wtf is behind those pins?

Every Marvel Funko Pop NIB in numerical order. I thought it would be fun to collect them and they went crazy on producing so many variants. If I ever give up and decide to sell them I can buy another machine.

#29 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

I sold IMDN mostly because i think it was the low point of Stern's production quality and i spent most of my time fixing the Sarco POS mech, captive balls and other issues. Great layout.

I know you are a LE guy, but that is why I prefer Pros. Every IMDN Premium/LE I've played had issues with those newton balls that caused issues in tournaments. The Mummy mech wasn't great either. I haven't played AIQ yet, but it looks great. If I had to choose, I'd go Maiden right now, but I own a JP Pro and it's staying for the foreseeable future.

#30 3 years ago

Pretty much neck and neck for top spot. I got in a couple games of each tonight (played too much GNR to decide haha) -Though, IMDN offers high energy Adrenalin, while JP offers the shooters-technical layout dream. JP can definitely be more frustrating as shots are harder, but when they click it’s amazing. I’ll to try to get some more games in tomorrow. Happy New Year!

#31 3 years ago

Played a JP pro last night .... what an amazing game.

#32 3 years ago

I'd go JP, then IM, then AIQ. JP is refreshing different game, incredible layout and shots.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from hoby1:

Played a JP pro last night .... what an amazing game.

Wait until your Premium arrives (with the moving TRex) and you install the sick A/V mod! I played a game this morning...having the John Williams music from the movie coordinated with the modes and video clips from the movie is insane.

#34 3 years ago

IronMaiden by far due to its full theme integration from artwork to sounds and video content. The music from the band fits pinball very well.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

I know you are a LE guy, but that is why I prefer Pros. Every IMDN Premium/LE I've played had issues with those newton balls that caused issues in tournaments. The Mummy mech wasn't great either. I haven't played AIQ yet, but it looks great. If I had to choose, I'd go Maiden right now, but I own a JP Pro and it's staying for the foreseeable future.

I sold my IMDN Premium for the same reason iceman did...spent so much time trying to get the game to play properly. The shooter in particular. After a couple months, had it playing perfectly, but was burnt out on it. Love music pins, and like some of Iron Maidens guitar riffs, but just couldn't connect with the vocals/band.

That's one of the reasons I think JP2 is so far ahead of IMDN...the Premium features all work great. The TRex choreography is amazing and it's great they have different behaviors for different modes.

#36 3 years ago
Quoted from snaroff:

I sold my IMDN Premium for the same reason iceman did...spent so much time trying to get the game to play properly. The shooter in particular. After a couple months, had it playing perfectly, but was burnt out on it. Love music pins, and like some of Iron Maidens guitar riffs, but just couldn't connect with the vocals/band.

That's one of the reasons I think JP2 is so far ahead of IMDN...the Premium features all work great. The TRex choreography is amazing and it's great they have different behaviors for different modes.

Very good points.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

JP was a great pin and I miss it but Maiden gets top prize for me. AIQ shoots great just not into the theme at all. I hope he gets a good theme for his next release, I'm thinking, I don't know...............The Road Warrior. [quoted image]

Did you see Kurt's homebrew on the TWIPY 2020 nominations? It's based on the first Mad Max movie

MadMax (resized).jpgMadMax (resized).jpg
#38 3 years ago

Keith has the power to create the greatest pinball machine of all time!
ELWIN x RUSH

#39 3 years ago

AIQ has great shots. While loving Avengers movies this game did not connect with me at all. The “dots” felt very not interactive, the callouts and music were meh. Early code seemed to be impossible to beat the characters and made me think Deadpool would be more fun. I bought a Deadpool and it was much more fun.

JP has great shots but I dont know what Im doing wrong, just nothing makes me feel connected to the game and Im trying to sell that now.

IM I played at an arcade several times. It feels like it has interesting bits to it. Not a fan of the music but there definitely feels like a solid game there.

I think his games are fun from a shot perspective doing combos and things but his games will hold little weight for me in the future. Im good at playing pinball but nothing seems to say hello this is fun. I havent owned IM, just location play.

#40 3 years ago

All three are great and have drawbacks for their own reasons.

Why they are each in their own right "the best".

- JP is the best because of the toy and the immersive ruleset
- AIQ is the best because the layout and combo shots are better than any other game out there
- IM is the best because of the flow and the modes are super fun to shoot.

Why you can choose one game over the other

- AIQ ruleset is already deep and very good, trying to get "trophies" is kinda silly.. they are Avengers, not participants in a bowling league. Also the Callouts and animation need to be improved. Code can fix these areas, so its not a big deal... yet.
-IM music with only 10 songs gets kinda old, especially if you don't love the music. Also the quality on the build and reliability of game is a little bit of an issue, not a big one because the things that have needed fixing are not a big deal.
-JP... well its hard to find too many flaws in this game. Combo shots are not as good as AIQ and the flow is not as good as IM, but the game is solid in every way.

#41 3 years ago

Looks like IMDN has the edge. I finally put in my vote after playing both extensively this weekend and IMDN gets it! Just barely. It’s overall just a more fun pin to me with a higher level of intensity. JP is the extreme of both sides, it can be extremely great or extremely frustrating. The T-REX is one of the coolest toys in pinball though, really enjoy those modes.

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Looks like IMDN has the edge. I finally put in my vote after playing both extensively this weekend and IMDN gets it! Just barely. It’s overall just a more fun pin to me with a higher level of intensity. JP is the extreme of both sides, it can be extremely great or extremely frustrating. The T-REX is one of the coolest toys in pinball though, really enjoy those modes.

Might be time for you to try out the custom audio/video package for JP2. The extra theme immersion and the cinematic score really add to the intensity of the game.

#43 3 years ago

so changing my order...forgot how good maiden shoots as I just bought the pro again.

Jurassic Park (still no doubt the best)
IMDN
Avengers

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

so changing my order...forgot how good maiden shoots as I just bought the pro again.
Jurassic Park (still no doubt the best)
IMDN
Avengers

I will shortly have all three of these once my AIQ Premium arrives and really looking forward to owning the Elwin collection and comparing each of them. For me right now JP has a a very slight edge over IMDN so I'll be excited to see where I put the new Avengers in this fantastic lineup of pins. Funny I used to go from my IMDN to Deadpool for a slight change of pace and less frantic game and now I go from Jurassic Park to Iron Maiden for that same effect. Elwin certainly knows how to create masteful layouts and integrate the themes around them.

#45 3 years ago

Iron Maiden pro is hands down the greatest pinball machine ever made.

Nothing comes close

1 month later
#46 3 years ago

Did recent code updates on Avengers and IMDN change opinions at all? Interesting topic

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Did recent code updates on Avengers and IMDN change opinions at all? Interesting topic

Curious to hear more from avengers fans regarding that.

For myself, I’m now leaning on the ‘I like JP more than IMDN’ side...this week

#48 3 years ago

I haven't had significant enough time on AIQ (Premium or LE only, thanks), but Iron Maiden (Pro) is far better, to me, than JP (any version) ever will be. Now between IM and AIQ, that might come down to software, but for now, IM gets my vote. Having said that, IM is a lifelong pinball project, and AIQ was far more under the gun.

#49 3 years ago

Man it’s such a tough call for me after getting much more time in on AIQ now.

I honesty never thought I’d like AIQ as much as I do and recent code updates solidify it further.

Is it more “fun” than JP? I’d have to give it the slight edge in that category due to the many different ways to play it.

JP gets the slight overall win for me because of the Trex toy, raptor pen and overall layout.

They are both awesome pins. Much better than IMDN imo, I sold that one due to the overall shitty LE build and garbage mechs. Not Elwin’s fault.

#50 3 years ago

I've owned 2 of the 3 in Jurassic Park and IMDN. Haven't played AIQ as yet. From the two I've played.... Jurassic Park is the better game to me. Both outstanding games, in fact probably my all time top 2. Can't wait to see Elwin's next game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 135.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Performance Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

4,999 (Firm)
$ 35.00
$ 74.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

Playfield - Protection
Gameroom Mods

$ 132.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 26.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 16.00
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Walton, KY
$ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

There are 72 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keith-vs-elwin?hl=hawks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.