Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 435 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 48 days ago by VisitorQ
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4161 (resized).jpeg
    2022-08-10 18.19.59 (resized).jpg
    2022-08-10 18.19.57 (resized).jpg
    2022-08-10 18.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2022-08-10 18.19.54 (resized).jpg
    BBF2019B-D156-44CE-95C7-14ACF5EBA296 (resized).jpeg
    05447AE0-DED5-4CA2-98F4-EE53F3649608 (resized).jpeg
    37C6CB9D-76B7-499B-A72D-AEC1D00828E0 (resized).jpeg
    EB6B6FCE-29C3-4452-AB14-E7D8E184C2A5 (resized).jpeg
    418437FD-CB32-4037-B973-7483CAB00B7A (resized).jpeg
    0B92A5A5-C9A9-4923-87A1-160401A5E685 (resized).jpeg
    3F4BEFD3-033E-4A91-B610-20D940FE19BC (resized).jpeg
    77D897F8-3130-4857-BE40-72A24F38E041 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210520-191240_Instagram (resized).jpg
    flip_meme (resized).jpg
    EAC4D3DE-DA53-44B5-A641-9E493E0E890F (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RGR.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Besides coming to the conclusion that this behavior is odd and unlike him, what else did you glean from the time you met him?
    Escher (the number 2 ranked player on earth) also conceded a game (after ball 1) today on f14, to eric stone.
    Will he also get a thread?

No as this was a calculated risk which did not work out. KME had nothing to lose.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You are tired and want to go home? You’ve just had enough?
    I’ve conceded a game in a tournament before. I didn’t know I was disrespecting the sport.

Was it the last game?

If Keith did win that game would he have conceded the semis?? Why play if you cant play to win the final? It would have taken maybe ten more minutes to attempt to win that game.... Why not concede at the start of the game???

I was rooting for Keith big time. If he conceded only due to the fact that he could not win (which we all know he could have) then this was not fair on Escher.

Anyone who says it aint a big deal... well maybe you were not aware that it was the World Champs. Maybe walk off the golf course after 9 holes if you cant win the Masters...?

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Perhaps age and fatigue finally became a factor?

I mean, it’s literally the same. Keith conceded a game. Escher conceded a game. That’s exactly the same thing.
    These Players do what they want and they’ve earned that privilege. If you guys find yourselves in the final 8 of a world championship tournament, you can lead by example!

Its not exactly the same thing at all. Like 0.

Escher conceding F14 was a risk due to him likely getting burnt out trying to get over 17M. Had this been the last game theres no way he would have

Keith conceding had nothing to do with saving time or energy. It was the last game. Plane to catch, long drive?? 0 chance as he would have played the semis and final. Anyone of any skill level would be in with a chance to get 800k on that last game.

I was rooting for Keith big time hoping that he would win his 1st. Super disappointing. Just never seen this from him in the past given how much of a grinder he is along with a ton of come back from behinds.

As has been said before, throwing a hole in golf is alot different than walking off the course.

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Perhaps age and fatigue finally became a factor?

I mean, it’s literally the same. Keith conceded a game. Escher conceded a game. That’s exactly the same thing.
    These Players do what they want and they’ve earned that privilege. If you guys find yourselves in the final 8 of a world championship tournament, you can lead by example!

Its not exactly the same thing at all. Like 0.

Escher conceding F14 was a risk due to him likely getting burnt out trying to get over 17M. Had this been the last game theres no way he would have

Keith conceding had nothing to do with saving time or energy. It was the last game. Plane to catch, long drive?? 0 chance as he would have played the semis and final. Anyone of any skill level would be in with a chance to get 800k on that last game.

I was rooting for Keith big time hoping that he would complete the grand slam. Super disappointing. Just never seen this from him in the past given how much of a grinder he is along with a ton of come back from behinds.

As has been said before, throwing a hole in golf is alot different than walking off the course.

#93 1 year ago

No ones diverting the attention from Eric. But as per those in the thread, its a worthy discussion. Infact your diversion of could be a way of saying u agree

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Keith conceded a game.
    Escher conceded a game.
    Those sentences are literally identical in every single way.

Nope one says Keith and the other says Escher

#101 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

It’s different !
    (I meant from a noun / verb / noun sentence structure)
    Do you want to talk about the actual tournament results at all? Any thoughts on the final 4 matches?

You’ve already posted the exact same thing twice and you’ll do it again. I think I’ve said my piece on it.

#106 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

SO you have zero interest in discussing anything else about the tournament?
    A lot of amazing stuff happened! Do you agree that Stone is the best in the world right now?
    Thanks for the support on the stream as well. Thousands of people are watching this stuff, it's an amazing response.

Yeah look happy to discuss. Just having a bit of fun. I am more than happy to discuss the event, just not sure that anyone else wants to hear it.

It was a memorable event for sure. Stone deserved this 100%. His local venue and in Norma's memory. Great to hear you on stream as well as usual and I hope you had fun with the Aussies that went over.Tim is great value. Maybe you could commentate remotely from the US for Brisbane.

#109 1 year ago

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yeah I saw some pics Jeff on Facebook. Priceless!!!! Even more of a reason for you to come out dammit

#111 1 year ago

Stone = McEnroe? Yeah the emotions, but Stone has a big heart... In his stream on GZ one of the best lines he said was "God Golly,I dont like this Miss Molly" I laughed for ages. I like his passion and determination. Pity he had to wear a mask. Hes going to be around for a while so I will look forward to watching him in future events. That game on F14 tho... hell.

Would have liked to have seen more of Jim but yeah there are only so many cameras etc.

#113 1 year ago

Yeah look everyone I am sure appreciated the effort as always. Streaming really has come along way and theres so much effort that goes into organising that side of it let alone running a comp! I could swear tho, some of the commentators had a bit of the old 420. Lol was great hearing them discuss the finer things in life.

#140 1 year ago
    Quoted from pookycade:

When I read the thread title I thought it was a metaphor and Keith had up and quit pinball. Phew ! Glad that was not what happened.
    Aren’t chess matches conceded all the time ? Just doesn’t seem so odd to me.

Yeah look if I play Escher in Brisbane l'll just concede before I even plunge a ball. Doesn't seem odd at all

#163 1 year ago
    Quoted from vikingerik:

The one downside to all this is from the point of view of Escher. He beat Keith Elwin, but he'll never know if he beat Elwin at his best or just because Elwin didn't want to play.

exxxxxxxactttlyyyy...

#166 1 year ago
    Quoted from Leeb18509:

When Keith had a chance to put initials in one the previous games against Escher and he put "ZZZ", I think he was already done at that point.

This is potentially a valid point. It could be that Keith for whatever reason (was exhausted) could not go on from the semis onwards so to prevent the chance that he could beat Escher on the last ball, he drained... rather than having to not play the semis giving a full bye to Eric.

Tbh playing this event is super exhausting so I certainly understand that. The games did look long playing as well. Why not concede at the start of the game then....

#211 1 year ago
    Quoted from Grandnational007:

You’ve never walked up to ball 3, being down, let’s say 600mil to 7mil in a game of TWD, or some other ridiculous amount?
    This past Monday, at a regular league session, I plunged and walked off after walking up to a 100k deficit on ball 3 of gtb hulk, and hitting the lit 2x skill shot, just to not slow the tournament down.
    I’ve been playing long enough to understand the odds, even when playing “perfect”. The BSD game from a couple of years ago at IFPA was not only an anomaly, it was basically “the perfect storm” between Danielle and Johaness (spelling). It was also the FINAL, deciding game. So there is certainly a difference there as well.

So Johannes Ostermeier should have walked off on Game 9 of the IFPA16 final then? Some 3+ billion behind with 1 ball to go....

Dont get me wrong I was behind KME all the way, but after playing for 4 hours and only having 1 ball left.... why? Why even start on DI. Concede before the game starts. Yes its not against the rules. Yes players have done it before. If it was a regular league night yeah ok... But its the timing along with the type of event that makes it shocking. Dont make it out like its a regular thing.

I am fine with players conceding at the start of a game, or if they have to be somewhere... There are plenty of reasons. And look if players were not passionate about pinball, then this thread probably would not have started.

#254 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

As a player, I like it. Say what you will about nuance, but some players may happen to get to play a game already in tournament that some of their opponents haven't, so it's good to make sure everybody has a feel for it.
    I certainly didn't think it slowed things down noticeably in FLorida. What slows things down is people playing 30 minute games of F14 but thats the price of doing business!

Just make it a 4 day event. I think given that its one of the majors and that the days are 13-15 hours stretching it out to 2 for qualifying and 2 for finals would be a lot more pleasant. Sure people might not be able to take the time off, but plenty of notice is given.

#271 1 year ago
    Quoted from RyanStl:

Why does it take 4 hrs to determine who is better that day at pinball? This blows my mind.
    Clarification: Not for whole tournament, but between two people.

Not taking anything away from the venue, but the games could have been set up harder, like that of PAPA back in the day. It certainly was a test of endurance.

#277 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Games were set up perfectly. There's a point where stuff becomes dumb (lightning flippers, ripping out posts, etc) and it becomes much less of a game of a skill.
    Some Matches ran long because players were good, not because games were too easy. In fact, if you look at the Dialed in scores all weekend, they were very low. I never played it but I'll assume that game was hard enough just based upon the scores of most 4 player games.

There is a clear difference between the game play at PAPA (and it was 4 players not 2) and at the pinball asylum on F-14. Thats only 1 game as well.

You would have noticed that Eric was taking advantage of a favourble feed everytime he locked a ball/ put it in the top right saucer. You can also clearly see the difference in ball speed around the flippers

https://www.twitch.tv/pinballasylum/video/1312226112 (4:48:00 onwards)

~37 mins for 3 balls, Eric's ball 2 was ~25 mins.

Papa: 12 balls in 7 mins.

#279 1 year ago

Obvs I am using it as an example. F-14 was not difficult enough. 2 million on the "Papa" machine would have been a monster score. Thanks for clarifying that PA aint PAPA and PAPA is no more... I had no idea.

I think that due to players being so good, machines unfortunately need to be set up extra hard due to games/days going far too long. It will also prevent walk offs

Either make the games harder or stretch it out to 4 days...

#353 1 year ago

Theres a bit of congo in the actions.... plunge plunge plunge for skill shots over and over. Maiden, GZ have some Congo influence... by not IFPA!?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider RGR.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keith-elwin-plunges-and-walks-off?tu=RGR and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.