Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 435 posts
  • 119 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 27 days ago by VisitorQ
  • Topic is favorited by 12 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4161 (resized).jpeg
    2022-08-10 18.19.59 (resized).jpg
    2022-08-10 18.19.57 (resized).jpg
    2022-08-10 18.19.51 (resized).jpg
    2022-08-10 18.19.54 (resized).jpg
    BBF2019B-D156-44CE-95C7-14ACF5EBA296 (resized).jpeg
    05447AE0-DED5-4CA2-98F4-EE53F3649608 (resized).jpeg
    37C6CB9D-76B7-499B-A72D-AEC1D00828E0 (resized).jpeg
    EB6B6FCE-29C3-4452-AB14-E7D8E184C2A5 (resized).jpeg
    418437FD-CB32-4037-B973-7483CAB00B7A (resized).jpeg
    0B92A5A5-C9A9-4923-87A1-160401A5E685 (resized).jpeg
    3F4BEFD3-033E-4A91-B610-20D940FE19BC (resized).jpeg
    77D897F8-3130-4857-BE40-72A24F38E041 (resized).jpeg
    Screenshot_20210520-191240_Instagram (resized).jpg
    flip_meme (resized).jpg
    EAC4D3DE-DA53-44B5-A641-9E493E0E890F (resized).jpeg

There are 435 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.
    #52 1 year ago

There goes the ESPN contract...

tenor_gif2847421276092369861_63245761431289.giftenor_gif2847421276092369861_63245761431289.giftenor_gif5966445420064594063_63250115163683.giftenor_gif5966445420064594063_63250115163683.gif
    #53 1 year ago

This is probably a dumb question but is there no ball save in tournaments?

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Besides coming to the conclusion that this behavior is odd and unlike him, what else did you glean from the time you met him?
    Escher (the number 2 ranked player on earth) also conceded a game (after ball 1) today on f14, to eric stone.
    Will he also get a thread?

No as this was a calculated risk which did not work out. KME had nothing to lose.

#55 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You are tired and want to go home? You’ve just had enough?
    I’ve conceded a game in a tournament before. I didn’t know I was disrespecting the sport.

Was it the last game?

If Keith did win that game would he have conceded the semis?? Why play if you cant play to win the final? It would have taken maybe ten more minutes to attempt to win that game.... Why not concede at the start of the game???

I was rooting for Keith big time. If he conceded only due to the fact that he could not win (which we all know he could have) then this was not fair on Escher.

Anyone who says it aint a big deal... well maybe you were not aware that it was the World Champs. Maybe walk off the golf course after 9 holes if you cant win the Masters...?

#56 1 year ago

Some incredible play throughout the finals by the best of the best. Congrats to Eric Stone for the win. He was unreal. This is what we should be talking about and not the nothingburger this thread was started for.

Fortunately the replay is available online. The match between Escher and Eric was one for the ages.

#57 1 year ago

I just plunged this thread.

#58 1 year ago

Let's see.. Boxing - throwing in the towel. Basketball - just dribbling out the clock. Football - taking a knee. MMA - tapping out. Golf - conceding the hole. And there's plenty more. There's no way to tell why it happened, but he walked. Dude is still awesome.

#59 1 year ago
    7C2A337F-A96B-4D24-8AE3-FB03904BBCD8.gif7C2A337F-A96B-4D24-8AE3-FB03904BBCD8.gif
    #60 1 year ago

I'm just relieved to see the thread title wasn't an analogy for KME quitting as a designer!

#61 1 year ago
    e2eba677084ed94375c7fd00d4d01514 (resized).jpge2eba677084ed94375c7fd00d4d01514 (resized).jpg
    #62 1 year ago
    Quoted from PismoArcade:

This is probably a dumb question but is there no ball save in tournaments?

Typically the newer games (DMD/LCD) have the ball saves turned off for these type of events

#63 1 year ago

My apologies to the OP for my original snarky response questioning which deep character insights he gleaned from a brief meeting with Keith Elwin; this thread has 60+ posts in it. Probably the best thing to happen to tournament pinball in years.

Probably a good time to point out again that Eric Stone won his second Major in as many tries, well on his way to his own type of insane tournament GOAThood himself. He was the favorite going in by virtue of his recent high-level play, and also his decided home field advantage at the pinball asylum. He delivered a powerful performance against some of the best players in the world to take his second world championship!

Stone may be a controversial figure in the world of pinball, but no denying the man’s talent and passion!

I wasn’t sure what to think when he only came in third at Allentown a few weeks ago, but clearly, he was just shaking off the rust!!!

#64 1 year ago

I dont know that I think of him any less. 800,000 is LOT of points in Dialed In. If he used up all his tilts and what not, it would be damn hard to recover.

#65 1 year ago

I watched and enjoyed a lot of the coverage. Got to hear a couple Levi BOOMs in there as well which was a highlight. When Elwin won a game on an EM vs Danielle in literally 15 seconds that was pretty crazy. Funny how confused Levi and the other announcer were too because everyone thought it was still practice.

Saw a lot of good games. Saw some classic Cayle grinding shit out which was just fun and on brand. Excellent job all around.

That format is intense. That's a lot of damn pinball. Definitely a lot too deal with mentally. Congrats to all the players! The stream had around 500 viewers all weekend, which I know isn't much of anything in the grand scheme, but still super legit for pinball.

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I watched and enjoyed a lot of the coverage. Got to hear a couple Levi BOOMs in there as well which was a highlight. When Elwin won a game on an EM vs Danielle in literally 15 seconds that was pretty crazy. Funny how confused Levi and the other announcer were too because everyone thought it was still practice.
    Saw a lot of good games. Saw some classic Cayle grinding shit out which was just fun and on brand. Excellent job all around.
    That format is intense. That's a lot of damn pinball. Definitely a lot too deal with mentally. Congrats to all the players! The stream had around 500 viewers all weekend, which I know isn't much of anything in the grand scheme, but still super legit for pinball.

It was more like 700 toward the end, and it’s a lot!

At Pinfest, we had 400 live views, and the stream had over 3000 views by Monday. I’m sure this will be much higher.

I think you meant Escher, getting like 150,000 on mars trek vs stone, which yes, I thought was practice.

#67 1 year ago

If anybody wants to see how I did in qualifying against the best players in the world, take a look!

Not too shabby I would say!

I was unceremoniously swept by Colin mcalpine in head to head. Still haven’t beaten him in a tournament. Maybe next time.

Best round was a 17, worst was 9. Most seemed to be 11 or 13. Thats the kind of consistency I was aiming for and I’m really proud of my performance. Most importantly, I had a clutch round 8 to seal it, taking a 15 on 3 games I was not eager to play (fish tales, funhouse, and 2001)

For me, the transition from going from 2 days of match play qualifying to head to head in finals was really jarring, and I wasn’t ready for it!!

https://www.ifpapinball.com/world_championships/results/player.php?p=14564

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think you meant Escher, getting like 150,000 on mars trek vs stone, which yes, I thought was practice.

Definitely Elwin vs Danielle. It was a hit the left saucer game. Danielle got 5 house balls. Elwin hit the saucer twice on ball one and the game was over. Pretty sure it was you in the booth at the time but maybe not.

#69 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Definitely Elwin vs Danielle. It was a hit the left saucer game. Danielle got 5 house balls. Elwin hit the saucer twice on ball one and the game was over. Pretty sure it was you in the booth at the time but maybe not.

Yeah that was the dynamic golden voiced team of bevins and macalpine in round of 8. I did the final 4 round.

#70 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Yeah that was the dynamic golden voiced team of bevins and macalpine in round of 8. I did the final 4 round.

Lol. It was you.

Found it. Bon Voyage.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1311654333
    Starts a 3:38, ends very shortly after.

#71 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

Lol. It was you.
    Found it. Bon Voyage.
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/1311654333
    Starts a 3:38, ends very shortly after.

Jesus.

It was a long weekend !!!! I don’t even remember that.

#72 1 year ago

None of this matters as my homie Eric Stone took the win!

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from TheLaw: NOW, if you'll excuse me I'm going to play some AIQ. Which is like SOOO awesome after dipping it under 8° (TWSS!)

Woah woah woah... how is this vulgarity not censored. I'm outraged.

#74 1 year ago
    Quoted from dos_reboot:

Woah woah woah... how is this vulgarity not censored. I'm outraged.

He's already ejected? Go mods!

#75 1 year ago

No one can compel you to play if you don't want to. This is the case for every game under the sun.

Nothing edifying will be said in this thread. It should be closed.

#76 1 year ago

Is any of this footage on YouTube/Twitch for us to rewatch?

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Stone may be a controversial figure in the world of pinball, but no denying the man’s talent and passion!

Im getting some strong Howard Cosell vibes from @crazylevi. You have a future in this sport!
    9C0C5976-682B-48DC-BF24-65326FBC8F69 (resized).jpeg9C0C5976-682B-48DC-BF24-65326FBC8F69 (resized).jpeg

#78 1 year ago
    Quoted from DK:

Is any of this footage on YouTube/Twitch for us to rewatch?

https://www.twitch.tv/pinballasylum

There's coverage from every day.

#79 1 year ago
    Quoted from Vino:

I’m getting some strong Howard Cosell from CrazyLevi. I think you have a future in this sport.[quoted image]

He is my favorite.

Will never be equaled!

#80 1 year ago
    Quoted from Kingjowjow:

Keith Elwin will always be a legend and GOAT of pinball to me, but today at the IFPA Worlds he made it all the way to the top 8 and had a match against Esher. Esher blew up ball 3 on Dialed In and Keith had about 800,000 points catch up to do if he wanted to stay in the Tournament. To my disbelief, he walked up to his ball 3 plunged it, and walked away without trying. Having meant Keith this is so odd and not like him to at least try, it is in a way disrespectful to all of the players he beat until that point for him to just give up. I dunno, was just curious on anyone elses thoughts as to why he did what he did. In the end, its his ball, his drive home, his choice. Have a great day everyone! Congrats Eric Stone on the Win!

This is the wrong take. Plunging and walking away is like a tip of the hat to the winner. The people that Elwin beat, he beat them. They don’t matter in this equation.

#81 1 year ago

I would plunge on Elwin and then brag about it.

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

I would plunge on Elwin and then brag about it.

With my luck, my opponent would do that, the ball would get caught up in the bumpers for 5 minutes, and they'd win. lol

#83 1 year ago
    Quoted from smokinhos:

Let's see.. Boxing - throwing in the towel. Basketball - just dribbling out the clock. Football - taking a knee. MMA - tapping out. Golf - conceding the hole. And there's plenty more. There's no way to tell why it happened, but he walked. Dude is still awesome.

This is not the right analogy. The majority of those situations have the winner ending the game to win. The other two are to avoid taking unnecessary physical damage that could become permanent. Levi was only throwing booms at people yesterday… not hooks.

I agree that it is his decision to plunge the ball. Was I disappointed that he did it… yes. I felt it took away from Escher great performance. You can chase down 800,000 on Dialed In with a couple of mode completes and SIM card collects. It was clear that Keith didn’t know the rules that well… particularly the Big Bang mode complete. His comeback against Alexander on Centaur at CLE PIN was more epic than chasing down 800,000 on DI.

Escher’s conceding against Eric was a different situation. He wanted to conserve his energy and focus for the next games. I don’t see Escher flipping the game off if that was the decider. He didn’t flip off Fathom after Keith dropped 2 mil on ball one either. I see Escher’s conceding a strategic move and sign of respect.

I really enjoyed listening to the broadcast over the last couple of days. It’s a shame if this tournament is remembered for Keith’s one decision. It is nice to see competitive pinball discussed on somewhere besides Tilt Forums though. Eric had home field advantage, but it is impressive for him to pull it out with the added pressure of everyone expecting you to do well. He played the best and deserved to win.

To close, Levi is by far the most entertaining commentator/personality in pinball. The highlight of the day was him telling Belsito to “approach the bench” to get a game update!

#84 1 year ago

I’m just bummed Jim Belsito couldn’t hang on to win after his stellar qualifying performance.

#85 1 year ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

I’m just bummed Jim Belsito couldn’t hang on to win after his stellar qualifying performance.

Perhaps age and fatigue finally became a factor?

I’ll note, I’ve heard a ton of variations on the “it’s different” argument.

I mean, it’s literally the same. Keith conceded a game. Escher conceded a game. That’s exactly the same thing.

These Players do what they want and they’ve earned that privilege. If you guys find yourselves in the final 8 of a world championship tournament, you can lead by example!

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from Beyndtstng:

This is not the right analogy. The majority of those situations have the winner ending the game to win. The other two are to avoid taking unnecessary physical damage that could become permanent. Levi was only throwing booms at people yesterday… not hooks.
    I agree that it is his decision to plunge the ball. Was I disappointed that he did it… yes. I felt it took away from Escher great performance. You can chase down 800,000 on Dialed In with a couple of mode completes and SIM card collects. It was clear that Keith didn’t know the rules that well… particularly the Big Bang mode complete. His comeback against Alexander on Centaur at CLE PIN was more epic than chasing down 800,000 on DI.
    Escher’s conceding against Eric was a different situation. He wanted to conserve his energy and focus for the next games. I don’t see Escher flipping the game off if that was the decider. He didn’t flip off Fathom after Keith dropped 2 mil on ball one either. I see Escher’s conceding a strategic move and sign of respect.
    I really enjoyed listening to the broadcast over the last couple of days. It’s a shame if this tournament is remembered for Keith’s one decision. It is nice to see competitive pinball discussed on somewhere besides Tilt Forums though. Eric had home field advantage, but it is impressive for him to pull it out with the added pressure of everyone expecting you to do well. He played the best and deserved to win.
    To close, Levi is by far the most entertaining commentator/personality in pinball. The highlight of the day was him telling Belsito to “approach the bench” to get a game update!

Stone was of course beating himself up all weekend. He knew everybody expected him to win and all his local cronies were desperate for it.

But as always, he responded with aplomb!

He really is my pick for current greatest in the world. Nobody comes in and dominates multiple
    Tournaments in a weekend like he does since he came on the scene. He’s a winning machine

And now, with 2 recent major world champs under his belt, I think he’s starting to get his proper due.

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I mean, it’s literally the same. Keith conceded a game. Escher conceded a game. That’s exactly the same thing.
    These Players do what they want and they’ve earned that privilege. If you guys find yourselves in the final 8 of a world championship tournament, you can lead by example!

Its not exactly the same thing at all. Like 0.

Escher conceding F14 was a risk due to him likely getting burnt out trying to get over 17M. Had this been the last game theres no way he would have

Keith conceding had nothing to do with saving time or energy. It was the last game. Plane to catch, long drive?? 0 chance as he would have played the semis and final. Anyone of any skill level would be in with a chance to get 800k on that last game.

I was rooting for Keith big time hoping that he would win his 1st. Super disappointing. Just never seen this from him in the past given how much of a grinder he is along with a ton of come back from behinds.

As has been said before, throwing a hole in golf is alot different than walking off the course.

#88 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Its not exactly the same thing at all. Like 0.

Escher conceding F14 was a risk due to him likely getting burnt out trying to get over 17M. Had this been the last game theres no way he would have

Keith conceding had nothing to do with saving time or energy. It was the last game. Plane to catch, long drive?? 0 chance as he would have played the semis and final. Anyone of any skill level would be in with a chance to get 800k on that last game.

I was rooting for Keith big time hoping that he would complete the grand slam. Super disappointing. Just never seen this from him in the past given how much of a grinder he is along with a ton of come back from behinds.

As has been said before, throwing a hole in golf is alot different than walking off the course.

#89 1 year ago

This is becoming a bigger scandal than when LFS declined playing in B at Pinburgh!

I'm outraged!

#90 1 year ago

Keith conceded a game.

Escher conceded a game.

Those sentences are literally identical in every single way.

“But it’s different.”

Nope.

You’ve already posted the exact same thing twice and you’ll do it again. I think I’ve said my piece on it.

Like I said before, I’m just happy people are talking about a pinball tournament for once, and that the pinball world finally needs to recognize the greatness of the immovable object that is Eric Stone.

I heard a lot of excuses as to why this wasn’t a thing before he won a major, but now it’s two straight.

Right now, he’s the best in the world. And I’m not just pushing that narrative because I beat him all weekend at Allentown a few weeks ago!

#91 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

This is becoming a bigger scandal than when LFS declined playing in B at Pinburgh!
    I'm outraged!

Lyman once left a big tournament early, forfeiting a final 4 match, because he had to catch a plane.

He didn’t disrespect the sport or his opponents. He just wanted to go home.

#92 1 year ago
    Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Eric's accuracy is phenomenal.

I can pull off live catch after live catch, make amazing saves and it all counts for nothing if I miss shot after shot, as a drain is going to be a sure thing!

Frustrating as accuracy is the hardest skill by a mile to improve.

Everything else can be practised and learnt.

Yeah this is kind of where I'm at right now.

One question I have is how the best players hit that level of accuracy and consistency. Do the good players only take the shot when they have it (ie they're being shot selective)? Or are they able to make the shot no matter how the ball approaches the flipper (ie they're just that damn good that they can adjust for approach speed and angle on the fly)?

Because I find I can make a specific shot 90% of the time, but only if the ball approaches the flipper from a certain approach. Like I can always hit a left orbit if the ball is slowly rolling down the flipper first, but if it has any speed or is coming at my by richochet I might miss teh same shot 4/5 times.

Almost makes me wonder if pinball is a bit like pool -- you need to setup the ball to give you the shot you want to take. Problem with that is I'm not sure I can think that fast any more... LOL

#93 1 year ago

No ones diverting the attention from Eric. But as per those in the thread, its a worthy discussion. Infact your diversion of could be a way of saying u agree

#94 1 year ago
    Quoted from RYE_:

Yeah this is kind of where I'm at right now.
    One question I have is how the best players hit that level of accuracy and consistency. Do the good players only take the shot when they have it (ie they're being shot selective)? Or are they able to make the shot no matter how the ball approaches the flipper (ie they're just that damn good that they can adjust for approach speed and angle on the fly)?
    Because I find I can make a specific shot 90% of the time, but only if the ball approaches the flipper from a certain approach. Like I can always hit a left orbit if the ball is slowly rolling down the flipper first, but if it has any speed or is coming at my by richochet I might miss teh same shot 4/5 times.
    Almost makes me wonder if pinball is a bit like pool -- you need to setup the ball to give you the shot you want to take. Problem with that is I'm not sure I can think that fast any more... LOL

Teolis said something interesting; he was talking to goat, and goat said something to the effect of “it’s not just making your shots, you need to be prepared to miss.” When he hits a shot early or late, he already has a plan in place as to where that missed shot is going to go and how to react to it.

Much better than my response which is “shit!!”

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Keith conceded a game.
    Escher conceded a game.

Nope one says Keith and the other says Escher

#96 1 year ago
    Quoted from RGR:

Nope one says Keith and the other says Escher

It’s different !

(I meant from a noun / verb / noun sentence structure)

Do you want to talk about the actual tournament results at all? Any thoughts on the final 4 matches?

#97 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Lyman once left a big tournament early, forfeiting a final 4 match, because he had to catch a plane.
    He didn’t disrespect the sport or his opponents. He just wanted to go home.

I forget about that, now I'm double outraged!

I'm kidding of course. Playing in all day multi day tournaments is taxing on your mind and body. It's a very different beast than your local monthly. I thought it was odd, but I can relate to just wanting to be done with it. Also, they owe us nothing.

#98 1 year ago
    Quoted from ectobar:

I forget about that, now I'm double outraged!
    I'm kidding of course. Playing in all day tournaments is taxing on your mind and body. It's a very different beast than your local monthly. I thought it was odd, but I can relate to just wanting to be done with it. Also, they owe us nothing.

Spot on!

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Keith conceded a game.
    Escher conceded a game.
    “But it’s different.”
    Nope.
    You’ve already posted the exact same thing twice and you’ll do it again. I think I’ve said my piece on it.
    Like I said before, I’m just happy people are talking about a pinball tournament for once, and that the pinball world finally needs to recognize the greatness of the immovable object that is Eric Stone.
    I heard a lot of excuses as to why this wasn’t a thing before he won a major, but now it’s two straight.
    Right now, he’s the best in the world. And I’m not just pushing that narrative because I beat him all weekend at Allentown a few weeks ago!

I thought he was pretty good when I saw him score over 100 billion on LZ and 25 billion on KISS

Again, his accuracy is phenomenal.

#100 1 year ago

Once my local tax dollars start subsidizing pinball arenas, then I'll start being butt hurt about players actions.

There are 435 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 9.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keith-elwin-plunges-and-walks-off/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.