Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 51 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by kvan99
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 7 years ago

This is pretty awesome news. Can't wait to see what Keith comes up with!

http://funwithbonus.com/keith-elwin-announces-he-will-be-working-for-stern-pinball/

#3 7 years ago

Mine was 1 second ahead of yours, if you check the timestamp

#4 7 years ago

It's a shame, because it doesn't mean much if Stern can't finish coding a machine. The best layout in the world won't save a game with bad or missing code.

#5 7 years ago

An Elwin/Lyman game could be pretty awesome

#7 7 years ago

Archer is coming

#8 7 years ago

Should I start a thread about this?

#9 7 years ago

If his version of Archer makes it to production, well, Stern might have a purchase, if it isn't more than a new Tesla!

#10 7 years ago

At least the code for Archer will have a healthy-ish start upon release to help quell some of Pinside's vocal patrons.

As long as they don't dink with the layout too much I'm in for a Lana LE.

#11 7 years ago

Interesting. Once worked for an op. Great player. Nice person. Neat step in his pinball history.

LTG : )

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

At least the code for Archer will have a healthy-ish start upon release to help quell some of Pinside's vocal patrons.

No it wouldn't. If he builds archer for Stern it'll use SPIKE and have to be re-coded. It's got a full plan for rules, but the code would have to start over. That is, if he can even make that game with Stern. He may have to start fresh on whatever they have in the hopper to work on for now.

#13 7 years ago

Archer or bust. I guess this explains why he opted to play in the Illinois state championship.

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from epthegeek:

If he builds archer for Stern it'll use SPIKE and have to be re-coded.

True, but that's still a far cry from where most games start out. Translating the old stuff over has to be faster than just dreaming up a whole new game on the fly.

#15 7 years ago

If Archer doesn't work out (due to licensing, or whatever), they could still use Keith's Archer layout and just re-theme it.

#16 7 years ago

If they did re-theme it I'd vote GOTG as the best layout fit.
    Could theoretically keep all the Elwin toys/mechs in place (e.g. Rocket's weapons testing area in the center) and it would obviously sell more games for Stern.

Personally would rather keep it KME's version of Archer though...

#17 7 years ago

Great news. Hopefully, it will result in lower machine prices.....

#18 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

LOL

#19 7 years ago

Awesome news! I hope they make Archer.

#20 7 years ago

Was really hoping someone would hire Keith. I hope they don't restrict his designs too much.

#21 7 years ago

Well that kind of sucks for Stern; all their showroom games will now be plagued with initials KME

Congrats to Keith!

#22 7 years ago

This is exactly what we need: new blood in the pinball design department!

The layout for Archer looks amazing to me based on the videos I've seen. Seems likely that this layout will now make it to production.

Congrats Keith!

#23 7 years ago

Dude is overrated!! Lol

#24 7 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

Interesting. Once worked for an op. Great player. Nice person. Neat step in his pinball history.
    LTG : )

I wonder if it has anything to do with JJP getting new blood in the design team. Stern sure could use it.

#25 7 years ago

Congratulations, sk8ball!

#26 7 years ago

Link to photos of Archer?

#27 7 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

True, but that's still a far cry from where most games start out. Translating the old stuff over has to be faster than just dreaming up a whole new game on the fly.

hmmmm... not if you've seen the code! I think my coding style is "technical debt"...
    A rewrite is in order.

#28 7 years ago

This could be something good.
    Just needs to replace that captive ball with a Dodge Challenger toy.

#29 7 years ago

He won't be allowed to play

Quoted from Eskaybee:Well that kind of sucks for Stern; all their showroom games will now be plagued with initials KME
    Congrats to Keith!

Part of the deal is he isn't allowed to play other machines on company time. Dude can eat up some time in a single game....

#30 7 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Link to photos of Archer?

Pinball news has some pix and video:
    http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/arcadeexpo2016/index.html

#31 7 years ago

So happy to hear of stern hiring anyone new. He'll be cutting his teeth while the Williams guys are still there. I'd like to hear stern hire at least one other new designer.

#32 7 years ago

Holy $h*t Snacks!!

#33 7 years ago

It would excite me far more if Keith was a coder than doing layouts / concepts for them.

But he's a fairly big guy, maybe he can pin Lyman, Dwight and Lonnie against a wall at some point and 'encourage' them to finish some code.

Seem to remember he was very pissed off about some of the Star Trek bugs, which Lyman went on to say that he and Dwight were aware of and working on fixing .... that was over 6 months ago? Isn't he also critical of AC/DC balance?

Can only hope he continues to make the case for better code from within, rather than staying quiet and getting paid.

#34 7 years ago
    Quoted from MrBally:

More employee's..... another 500 dollar price increase.

#35 7 years ago
    Quoted from L8vid:

I think my coding style is "technical debt"...

Pretty sure it's a shade better than that.
    I'm mean, there was no hamster+wheel running in the cab when we set up the game at AE 2.0...
    Unless Babou ate it?

It's got humor, jiggly boob bumpers, a kick-ass video mode and explosions. What more can a modern pinhead want?

More importantly,
    What wood Hank doo in this sitchewashun?

#36 7 years ago

Congrats to Keith on his new gig. Maybe pinball improves a bit as a result?

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Pretty sure it's a shade better than that.
    More importantly,
    What wood Hank doo in this sitchewashun?

Even more importantly, does it match the Spy Bar?

#38 7 years ago

This is great news!!! Congrats Keith!

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from NimblePin:

Archer isn't coded on stern's platform... so you start over. Concepts, rules, media, are known... but all game code and drivers would have to be replaced.

#40 7 years ago

This is really exciting. When you hear Keith talk about layouts, toys, and rules, its obvious he gets it and has some great ideas. Archer has a Lawlor feel but is still very unique. This is a great move by Stern. I would be very surprised if Stern didn't already have the license locked up for Archer now. Or could it be Pulp Fiction with the Archer layout??? Wow.

I am sure he will give the other programmers some great rules ideas also!

#41 7 years ago
    Quoted from rubberducks:

It would excite me far more if Keith was a coder than doing layouts / concepts for them.

100% agree - I love Stern machines more than most but it's really gotten to the point where it's Lyman or bust on code. If Lyman gets involved, the code will be spectacular, and if not, it may not even ever get finished. Add another really dedicated player (maybe the most dedicated?) to the coding team and Stern's stock goes way up for me.

#42 7 years ago

Keith who ?

#43 7 years ago

Nope, this is Keith Elwin

#44 7 years ago

Keith Elgin

#45 7 years ago

This is great news. I bet he has more than playfield design in store for his games. No reason he can't give innovative new rules to the programmers and just let them code it.

#46 7 years ago

#1 pinball player in the world working for the #1 pinball mfg in the world. One of two things will happen: Sterns' games get a hell of a lot better or Keith learns the harsh side of manufacturing and ends up leaving. Let's hope it's the first!

#47 7 years ago

Sweet news, pinball needs new blood and it's awesome that Keith has accepted the challenge!

Enjoy the Chicago winters KME!

rd

#48 7 years ago
    Quoted from hoby1:

More employee's..... another 500 dollar price increase.

Pull your wallet out.

Looking forward to a fresh perspective from one of the best pinball players out there besides myself.

Great addition to Stern pinball!

#49 7 years ago

Most pinside response ever!

You haven't heard of him? He designs under cab lighting and super cool pop bumper caps.

#50 7 years ago

You're all losing money with this announcement!

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keith-elwin-joins-stern-pinball?hl=hassanchop and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.