(Topic ID: 19531)

Keeps blowing Primary Power fuse when switching on........

By LRGy

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Edenecho
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Hi - my Gottlieb SF2 machine keeps blowing the Primary Power fuse (2.5amp s/b) when switching on when its been off for a while, once I replace the fuse it switches on fine and plays great until the next time I switch it off, leave it for a while and switch it back on, and then blows again. In the UK so I am running on 220v not 110v.

Any help would be great, as I have just got it all up and running fine and everything else works and plays fine.

Thanks

#2 11 years ago

First Look in the manual and see if its the correct fuse amp that's being put in there.

#3 11 years ago
Quoted from pinmike:

First Look in the manual and see if its the correct fuse amp that's being put in there.

Hi - Yes the correct fuse for the voltage (it does say 220v = 2.5a s/b fuse) and the UK runs at 240v..... do I need to increase the fuse...???

#4 11 years ago
Quoted from LRGy:

Hi - Yes the correct fuse for the voltage (it does say 220v = 2.5a s/b fuse) and the UK runs at 240v..... do I need to increase the fuse...?

No!! Never over fuse,That fuse holder could be bad or needs a to closer look at and see if it is faulty.

#5 11 years ago

You could connect an ammeter in line with the fuse to see what your current draw is. You may be on the borderline of 2.5 amps.
It's funny that when cold the fuse blows, replace works fine. Shut off let Pin get cold, repeat sequence...

Sounds like a power surge on turn on. Perhaps the power supply surges and blows the fuse. Now the caps are partially charged. You change the fuse , power on, less surge current, fuse holds. Just a theory. However slo-blos usually have a short amount of time to compensate for these start up current surges.

Also what is the fuse your using AC voltage rating? Make sure it is rated for 250VAC not 125 VAC.

The fuse is rated 2.5 amp for 220VAC. At 240 VAC there should be an additional 250milliamp draw. Now you should never really overfuse but you could try a 2.75 amp fuse(don't think this is even a standard value) or a 3 amp slo-blo 250VAC fuse.

#6 11 years ago
Quoted from LRGy:

Hi - Yes the correct fuse for the voltage (it does say 220v = 2.5a s/b fuse) and the UK runs at 240v..... do I need to increase the fuse...???

Look in the manual and see what's recommended for a machine that's wired for 220 / 240 VAC.
Generally line fuses used on a machine wired for 220 50Hz. are about HALF the value of the ones wired for 120V 60Hz. (also true for video games).
If the manual recommends a 2.5 amp fuse for the line power for a machine wired for 220, stay at that value. NEVER over-fuse the line.

#7 11 years ago

Thanks for the info, I don't know if this makes a difference but I have noticed that if I leave it plugged in at the mains for a while and then switch it on the fuse blows, but if I unplug it and leave it and then plug it back in then switch it on the fuse does not blow??

Could that mean a surge problem could be the fault???

#8 11 years ago
Quoted from LRGy:

Thanks for the info, I don't know if this makes a difference but I have noticed that if I leave it plugged in at the mains for a while and then switch it on the fuse blows, but if I unplug it and leave it and then plug it back in then switch it on the fuse does not blow??
Could that mean a surge problem could be the fault???

Do you know if this game was originally set up for use in the UK? ... or was it imported from somewhere else? You may have a wrong / bad Varistor.

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/5017-09044-00 ... for machines used in North America

If your is set up correctly it should have a 240VAC varistor (Bally # E-713-1).
If this is in the machine, it may be bad.

#9 11 years ago

If everything is ok as other posters have suggested, I would then disconnect all of the outputs from the transformer and see if the fuse blows. It could be a bad transformer or something further down the line. If the fuse doesn't blow after the above test add back one connector at a time (if that game has multiple connectors on the transformer) and then test again.

#10 11 years ago

LRGy, do you have a meter?
If so, measure the current at turn on. and see what happens.

Did you check your fuses to make sure they are rated for 250VAC?

I think it's a surge issue. the varistor could be defective but usually when they protect from a surge the varistor opens. You could disconnect the Varistor and see what happens.
Once the Pin starts up it runs fine, correct?
How long has this behavior been going on? Has the Pin always acted this way or just recently started doing this?

Quoted from LRGy:

I have noticed that if I leave it plugged in at the mains for a while and then switch it on the fuse blows, but if I unplug it and leave it and then plug it back in then switch it on the fuse does not blow??

Does it do this "every" time? or do you think it does this most of the time?
Have you measured your AC line voltage to see if it is at ~ 240VAC?

5 years later
#11 6 years ago

5 years, oh well, did you manage to fix this? I have the exact same issue

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
2,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Marietta, GA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keeps-blowing-primary-power-fuse-when-switching-on and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.