Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191213_192507[1] (resized).jpg
20191126_174028[1] (resized).jpg
20191125_201833[1] (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
Img1 (resized).png
dd8e059874c38a95abafd1020c611de5700d11fb (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pb456.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 4 years ago

There may be a light socket that is shorted, or a bulb.

Break out the continuity tester and spend some time going through each one.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

please excuse my ignorance but what exactly should I be looking for by doing a continuity test ? what symptom indicates a shorted bulb/ socket? having continuity?? or not having continuity ?

I've had a single bulb that was shorted - of course next to impossible to find - short the entire GI circuit before. I've also had an individual socket (or more) shorted, the 'bayonet' style, number 44 as you have in the 80B, that would also have the same effect.

Following your post I believed that it could be either a shorted socket or bulb.

I re-read (and corrected my thoughts on) your original post, and you say that the GI bulbs and flashers are good, but the computer controlled bulbs are not working. So ignore what I said about testing the GI lights, concentrate on the bulbs and sockets for the computer controlled lamps.

I do not have Haunted House, but found a manual for it. If I look at the Haunted House manual - it is listed as a Gottlieb System 80. F5 looks to be a 7-1/2A protecting the 8V AC line. Make sure that it is.

(see image 1)

Have you located the wires for the controlled lamps, tested those sockets, and the wires to make sure that they're not shorted across the sockets?

From your post "it blows the fuse even with the entire driver board disconnected" - leads me to believe that it's a socket that has gotten smashed or otherwise shorted, or wiring to one of those computer-controlled sockets that has gotten shorted across something conductive.

Img1 (resized).pngImg1 (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

Yes I have located the color wires from the f5 fuse holder back to a small square box (1 of 3) located next to the transformer & from there they branch off into groups of white/black & white ,red, green not all of the control lamps are these colors though ,only a few groups are & some of those same color wire groups are going to G.I lamps not control lamps?? & also Big house must be different from haunted house because on this game F5 is fuse designated as control lamps & it is a 10amp 32 volt fuse ////// what is still not clear to me is HOW DO I perform a Test on those sockets ???????

Oh boy. My reading comprehension is not good today I read Big House and read Haunted House. Been wanting one of those for a while!

Gottlieb may have re-used certain color wires, it's not always good to rely on the wire colors, rely on your meter.

To test lamp sockets:

http://homepinballrepair.com/index.php/repair-pinball-lamp-sockets/

"To test, remove the bulb, then put your DVM in the diode test mode and connect the leads across the diode. One direction will read high and the other direction will read low if it is good. If both directions read high, it is defective – replace it."

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 79.95
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 83.00
Electronics
PinballReplacementParts
Electronics
$ 15.00
Various Novelties
Duke Pinball
Various novelties
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pb456.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keeps-blowing-fuse-gottlieb-system-80b-?tu=pb456 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.