(Topic ID: 50297)

Keeping your Machine from over-heating - is this an issue???

By ritewhereiwant2b

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by PinPlayer2
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

Hi All,

New Stern Spiderman pin owner as of last Sunday...

First a bit of background:
    - a buddy and I played Spidy last night for 3 hours straight - and into the last half hour I thought I smelt a hot/warm electronic smell, if you know what I mean - Im used to smelling it when I have pushed a receiver (home theatre unit) too far - and as a drummer, I am always pushing my receivers too hard, lol
    - to the above point, I now always have fans on my home electronics - this is a well document "best practice" to extend the life of your electronics.

For, those of you who have a 110v power plug inlet in the cabinet, do you put a fan in your machines to keep the unit nice and cool to extend the life of the machine/reduce maintenance issues? Expressed another way, is excessive heat in the cabinet a possible issue for pins?

Thanks...

#2 10 years ago

Pins are designed to run 24/7 without a fan.

But if you smell "burning transformer" smell, unplug and investigate.

#3 10 years ago

No need to be concerned about overheating anything, although, if you smelled something burning you may have a problem due to other reasons....so at least check that out.

These machines were made to be on location and ran all day long. I actually know of an Elvis on location that has been on for pretty much 8 years straight. I have no idea why they leave it on all night when they're closed, but they do. The display has been replaced at least once, but she's still going...

#4 10 years ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

I actually know of an Elvis on location that has been on for pretty much 8 years straight.....but she's still going...

He?

#5 10 years ago

LOL! Pins are like boats....you always use "she" when referring to them, right? I surely didn't mean to call the king a woman.

#6 10 years ago
    Quoted from MattElder:

LOL! Pins are like boats....you always use "she" when referring to them, right? I surely didn't mean to call the king a woman.

Just making sure

#7 10 years ago

I put 12 VDC fans in the top of my backboxes and it draws the heat out nicely and keeps the board alot cooler than normal. Electronics hate heat!

#8 10 years ago

Can you recommend a source for the 12 CDC fans? Thanks.

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from Chet:

Can you recommend a source for the 12 CDC fans? Thanks.

You can get them at newegg, but you don't want to draw in dust into the machine.

#10 10 years ago

Ok, so what I'm hearing is that its best to keep the back box cool, but don't worry about the cabinet...

love to hear more opinions on this and thanks for the responses expressed already...

#11 10 years ago

You can pick them up at Radio Shack or any electronic companies ie; DigiKey, Mouser, etc. They are very inexpensive.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from ritewhereiwant2b:

Ok, so what I'm hearing is that its best to keep the back box cool, but don't worry about the cabinet...

Pinball machines are designed to be run 24/7 with no fans needed.

Many people add LED lights that effectively cut the heat generation in half; so there is even LESS need for any active cooling.

If you add a fan to exhaust the air in the back box, you will draw dust into the machine.

Don't bother adding fans to pinball machines.

#13 10 years ago

thanks vid1900, you seem to know what your talking about owning 9 pins! ...and some older ones too!

#14 10 years ago

Fans are not needed and won't do much good for the resale value if you saw big holes in the pinball machines for them.

#15 10 years ago
    Quoted from ritewhereiwant2b:

love to hear more opinions on this and thanks for the responses expressed already...

+1 No fans, more bad than good from them. Yes LEDs can cut some of the heat down for longevity, burning smells though are bad and sign of a problem that needs to be addressed.

#16 10 years ago

Either way, I do not have any dust problems in the games I have fans on compared to my non fans one. It really helps keep the boards to run cooler than without.
    Just a suggestion that he ask for.

#17 10 years ago
    Quoted from PinPlayer2:

I put 12 VDC fans in the top of my backboxes and it draws the heat out nicely and keeps the board alot cooler than normal. Electronics hate heat!

Just out of interest, where do you plug a 12V fan into your machines? Solder to a connector? Is this just Stern or all machines?

Cheers!
    Adam.

#18 10 years ago

I do not alter the games when mounting the fan, I use existing screws in backbox and I use straight soldered on pins and connect into existing connectors off of the board.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keeping-your-machine-from-over-heating-is-this-an-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.