(Topic ID: 108582)

Keeping track of parts when disassembling playfield?

By shaub

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_13741.jpg
    IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    DSC08991.JPG
    Taxi 179.jpg
    IMG_4904.JPG
    20141012_020238.jpg
    1453493_10152550451348710_5125721223996268881_n.jpg
    20141017_195907.jpg
    image-362.jpg
    DSC03723.JPG
    DSC03722.JPG
    20140730231403017.jpg
    20140730222356877.jpg
    20140730222450801.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superjackpot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#42 9 years ago

In addition to the take lots of pictures and label everything suggestions, when doing an upper PF teardown, I had a thick piece of cardboard placed securely on top of the game next to me and used it to (literally) hold most small parts - posts, screws, guides etc. in their relative positions as I disassembled them. I made notes on the cardboard itself including anything like, for example the location of bulb sockets that would help me position everything back in the right place. It was very useful when staring at the empty PF to have a 'copy' of the game next to me. And while I individually cleaned, polished or regrained metal parts as I put them back, reassembly was extremely easy, especially the top part of the playfield. I found I didn't need the photos nearly as much as on previous teardowns where I didn't take this approach.

Plastics, habitrails, ramps and other larger parts went onto another flatter surface that kept things from sliding around.

IMG_0970.JPGIMG_0970.JPGIMG_0967.JPGIMG_0967.JPG

#54 9 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Man you guys are so anal!! I just take everything apart, dump it in a rubber maid tub, then put it back together. Everything uses the same parts pretty much.

I took apart my TZ before I did my Congo. Its parts are spread out all over... some parts are grouped but everything is pretty much strewn across 5 shelves, and a few buckets and boxes. I wasn't worried cause the machine is so well documented online I figured I could recover from any confusion.

The cardboard (rigid foam>>cardboard), pool table techniques and the like are a good way to avoid possible confusion. A lot will depend on your experience, game complexity and how long you plan to wait before you reassemble (memory). I assumed the OP was new to this, so slow and easy is the way I'd recommend to go.

I'm doing SoF next. No laying out of parts is going to happen. Some photos, a few cups or containers perhaps, and that's it. This game isn't very complicated, and the more often you do this the less you need to worry.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider superjackpot.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keeping-track-of-parts-when-disassembling-playfield?tu=superjackpot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.