(Topic ID: 108582)

Keeping track of parts when disassembling playfield?

By shaub

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_13741.jpg
    IMG_0967.JPG
    IMG_0970.JPG
    DSC08991.JPG
    Taxi 179.jpg
    IMG_4904.JPG
    20141012_020238.jpg
    1453493_10152550451348710_5125721223996268881_n.jpg
    20141017_195907.jpg
    image-362.jpg
    DSC03723.JPG
    DSC03722.JPG
    20140730231403017.jpg
    20140730222356877.jpg
    20140730222450801.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider btw75.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 9 years ago

I usually start off with intensions like these.

Quoted from flashinstinct:

Rule#1 Don't be cocky and tell yourself....yeah I'll remember this goes there.
    Rule#2 Get the manual
    Rule#3 Pay Attention
    Rule#4 Take your time.

Quoted from Robotoes:

I disassemble in sections of the PF, and into ziplock bags. Every ziplock gets an inventory - quantity and part type (screw, washer, coil, etc). Photos, lots of photos.
    Then I dump as much into the tumbler as space will allow. When all shiny, open up the ziplocks, make the inventory match the bag - re-assemble from the bag(s). Reference photos as needed.

But then - I am who I am and end up going this way instead after a little bit. Luckily I'm usually good enough to take a few pics although never enough or the right angle...

Quoted from jrivelli:

Throw everything in a box next to you. When ready to reassemble shake the box well, dump out parts on the floor, assemble. It will make you a pro!

#20 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

good timing for this thread as I just started taking my BOP apart to restore it.
    I started with the backbox and at this point I took my label maker and made labels for every connector and zip tied them on. For all the parts I'm using zip-lock bags and took about 50 pics of the backbox alone so far. I'm sure I'll botch something anyways though.
    This reminds me, I need a tumbler
    Hopefully this helps the OP and is not a thread hijack. Is this good enough for cleaning small pinball parts? - http://www.harborfreight.com/5-lb-metal-vibrator-tumbler-67617.html

Mine broke after the 3rd day. Been using a Lyman since, but it is not without fault as the big bowl is vented which causes a huge mess. YMMV

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from 85vett:

Yeah, I saw a lot of negative comments in the past about restores that had writing on connectors. Took me a couple of hours to do all the connectors on the backpanel (boards and light panel) but once finished I can just cut them off.

Also, once you finish you'll realize that with only a couple exceptions there is only one way to hook those up anyway and you'll never waste time again.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider btw75.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keeping-track-of-parts-when-disassembling-playfield?tu=btw75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.