(Topic ID: 48531)

Keeping a Pinball for Nostalgic Reasons?

By bintzknocker

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by jukehero1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

Has anyone kept a pinball because it held some nostalgic value even though you don't play it anymore? I have a Bally Playboy that my Dad bought when i was a kid. He gave it to me when they were cleaning out the house. I'm kind of bored with it, however would have a hard time selling it because of the nostalgic value.

Anyone else have this problem?

#2 11 years ago

Yes - Black Knight. I bought it when my son was born, and it was my first pin. He always reminds me that I can never sell it because it's his "brother".

Which is funny, because it's the exact opposite of your situation.

#3 11 years ago

I bought Cyclone because I used to play it in college. I still enjoy playing it though. Good simple fun. It would be the last pin I sell.

#4 11 years ago

I'll likely never get rid of space shuttle. There are only so many, and there are so many trashed ones out there. I would dread bringing another from the dead.

I grew up playing evel knievel, but I have no interest in buying one, it's just too slow.

#5 11 years ago

I kept my Taf for years because it was the one pin I played as a kid. No pin or game is truly a keeper, things change. Sell.

#6 11 years ago

I have a stern galaxy. Which me and my best friend played all the time growing up. It took me years to talk them into selling it to me. But the memories of me and my friend at 8 yrs old playing that exact machine make it priceless.

#7 11 years ago

From time to time but not usually after a while I will cycle out most titles. Only a couple stay for long term. Only because I enjoy those ones so much.

#8 11 years ago

FH is my first game, and the game that really got me hooked. It is never going anywhere.

Of course, it is also my favorite game

#9 11 years ago

i would have a helluva tough time getting rid of my Bobby Orr power play....Canadian hockey fan, what else comes close?

#10 11 years ago

Nitro Ground Shaker! It reminds me of when my brother and I were big into drag racing. I've had it since 96.

#11 11 years ago

I only buy pins that have some nostalgic quality for me that's what it's all about.

#12 11 years ago

Mata Hari....my first. It gets played when people are over.

#13 11 years ago

whirlwind..but I'm selling it..want to buy a nicer one someday

#14 11 years ago

I had kept my Millionaire for a long time, since it was my first game i bought. And more important that was the game that got me into pinball. I was 6 when it came to my camping on 1987 and i played it for the first time.

Kinda lost its magic for me over the years and i decided to sell it when i came to the conclusion i had not turned it on for more then half a year

so my advice. get over the sentiment and sell it

#15 11 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

FH is my first game, and the game that really got me hooked. It is never going anywhere.
Of course, it is also my favorite game

Ditto.

#16 11 years ago

The Six Million Dollar Man. My first machine and still the most played. Wife's favorite ever as well. Its staying put

#17 11 years ago

I still have my 1st, Gott. abracadabra. It's a fun game and I will keep it cause it's my first. Glad I didn't buy a dog for my first game : )

#18 11 years ago

It's funny how sometimes a game you buy with the intention of being a lifelong keeper ends up getting sold. I have struggled with this a few times on different pinball machines.

I'm a sucker for nostalgia. I still have two things that are a tie to my childhood. I'd hang out sometimes at my dad's motorcycle dealership on Saturdays when I was a kid. It was a lot of fun hanging with him, riding mini-bikes on the test track and playing Grand Prix pinball. I have the 1960s Sun Drop soda machine that was in the dealership back then. I pulled a lot of sodas out of it and when I look at it, it's a trip back to those good times. I also have a US Marshal mechanical gun. Not the same machine but I used to play one at a place we'd go nearby for lunch.

If it were me I'd be inclined to hang on to the Playboy machine but everyone's level of nostalgia is different. You probably shouldn't hold onto it out of a feeling of obligation but if there is even a hint of nostalgic connection to it you may want to consider it. Once your father has passed and the machine is gone you may wish you still had it.
Alex

#19 11 years ago

Still got my first too, SpeakEasy-4

A gift in 1985 from my girlfriend, now my wife.

The SpeakEasy-4 is a keeper. (and my wife aswell )

#20 11 years ago

When my wife and I got married we used to play the NEW Haunted House pin at Salisbury Beach (Mass playground way back,,,,) all the time, I bought her one as a b'day present back in the early 90's.. Still have it.

#21 11 years ago

I am buying my Grandpas Kingpin that has been in their house since the early 80's. I like playing it and grew up playi g it so that one will stay a long time.

#22 11 years ago

FIREPOWER is the one from my teen years that I'll never sell - takes me back to the arcade every time I play it. I had a '79 Flash that was my 1st pin.....kinda regret selling it now.

#23 11 years ago
Quoted from swampfire:

Yes - Black Knight. I bought it when my son was born, and it was my first pin. He always reminds me that I can never sell it because it's his "brother".
Which is funny, because it's the exact opposite of your situation.

Mine is also Black Knight.

First game I ever bought. And sold. And bought again. And sold again. And then 2 more times.

I vowed to my wife this one would not be sold. And I have almost sold it 3 times.

Chris

#24 11 years ago
Quoted from tbanthony:

I bought Cyclone because I used to play it in college. I still enjoy playing it though. Good simple fun. It would be the last pin I sell.

I recently bought the exact same pin as my first pin for the exact same reason. I've had a blast working on and playing it so far!

I can't imagine letting it go anytime soon because playing it brings back such good memories.

#25 11 years ago

No, it's just a game, if it's not getting played, boot it out for something new

I wish I had my first game still (Addam's Family), but I could always buy another one if I wanted too...it's one of my fave pins, but it got old too...so I sold it and got something fresh...

#26 11 years ago
Quoted from bintzknocker:

Has anyone kept a pinball because it held some nostalgic value even though you don't play it anymore? I have a Bally Playboy that my Dad bought when i was a kid. He gave it to me when they were cleaning out the house. I'm kind of bored with it, however would have a hard time selling it because of the nostalgic value.
Anyone else have this problem?

I have quite a few that I won't part with... My Space Shuttle, Hubby and I played SS when we were dating, fast forward to when we got a house with a game room and it was the first pin we bought, first pin I restored = it ain't going anywhere! Then there are my EM's... I have 1 from each of the Godfathers of pinball...I have a Williams 1966 8-Ball I call it my birthday game, designed by Norm Clark, it was released Jan. 17th 1966 and I was born Jan. 14th 1966. Norm was a great guy and I searched for 2 years to find one of these, then Norm passed away 1 month after I found it, so I never got to have him see it or sign it for me. My Space Mission, designed by Steve Kordek, Steve was an awesome person and a good friend and I miss him. My Spirit of '76 is my Wayne Neyens game. Wayne is a great guy and a good friend. These 3 games will not be leaving anytime soon. Then there are my faves...Bad Cats besides the fact that Python is a good friend of mine, this game was my fave before I met him, because of the theme...then there is Star Light, Barracora...I could keep going There are a few games in my collection that if the need came I would sell them, but I don't sell games often, because once I put the blood sweat and tears into them to bring them back, I generally have separation issues if I think about getting rid of them.
So I guess back to the original question...YES I have lots in this category!

Phoebe

#27 11 years ago

yup have a bally fireball home model. been in the family since the 70's I cant sell it. nor would I be able to sell my Dr dude as its my first commercial pin.

#28 11 years ago

My wife bought my first pin as a birthday present, so that one has nostalgic value. The others are just fun.

#29 11 years ago

bintz,

Have you already cleaned it up really good?
If not, this is a great way to fire up your appreciation for it.
Replacing worn out parts, dis-assemble/clean/re-assemble playfield parts,
clean/polish the legs & coin-door, make sure every light working, replace leg levelers, install a shiny new pinball(s), get the slope and level set as best you can for good gameplay, etc.
If the legs are in really bad shape, then you may want to replace them and the leg bolts.

Nothing wrong with keeping it, if you can't part with it, especially if it is not really in the way.
Do you feel like posting a few pics of it?

Another idea is to really try talking yourself into selling it.
Let someone else enjoy it if your not feeling it anymore.

Have a good weekend.
MLV

#30 11 years ago
Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Have you already cleaned it up really good?
If not, this is a great way to fire up your appreciation for it.
Replacing worn out parts, dis-assemble/clean/re-assemble playfield parts,
clean/polish the legs & coin-door, make sure every light working, replace leg levelers, install a shiny new pinball(s), get the slope and level set as best you can for good gameplay, etc.
If the legs are in really bad shape, then you may want to replace them and the leg bolts.

Nothing wrong with keeping it, if you can't part with it, especially if it is not really in the way.
Do you feel like posting a few pics of it?

Another idea is to really try talking yourself into selling it.
Let someone else enjoy it if your feeling it anymore.

Yah I've stripped the playfield. Cleaned with magic eraser (the ladies looked like they had varicose veins), waxed, new rubbers, new pop bumper caps, new ball, cleaned the coindoor. Plays great. When my dad got it I don't think he put more than 1000 plays on it.

#31 11 years ago

White Water-Bought it because of my high school days sitting up at the bowling ally. I can't seem to part with it-but it gets neglected.

#32 11 years ago

I've still got the Gottlieb Totem that showed up for Christmas when I was 7 years old; my dad got the game at an auction for $75. It's not my favorite game, but I still enjoy it, and since I have room for about a 7-pin lineup without changing my downstairs layout, I don't think I'll ever sell it. In fact, I just threw a NOS backglass on it, with some LEDs, and plan to do a playfield restoration within the next year or two.

#33 10 years ago

My first pinball machine was a Bally "Time Zone" I sold it long ago and I have been kicking myself in the rear every day since. A great machine and not an easy one to find these days. Make sure you listen to your inner voice about machines you really don't want to sell.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Pinball Z

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

8,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bakersfield, CA
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

3,950 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Centerport, NY
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 159.00
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Jamestown, NC
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keeping-a-pinball-for-nostalgic-reasons and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.