By monkeyboypaul

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Howdy,

I need to sell something reasonably valuable, so my nice LOTR and STLE are on the block.

Which would you sell?

I play ST quite a bit, although rarely get past KM, but it's fun watching all those pretty lights and hitting silky smooth ramps over and over. They're stills making premiums and I'm starting to lose patience waiting on a final code polish...

LOTR was an impulse buy and I've not played it much due to my current aversion to getting hooked on the "deep" rule set that many see as the epitome of pinball. I have a toddler and busy life, so I was kinda 'storing it for the winter' so to speak to see what all the fuss is about.

FYI; I love Tron - quick, easy to follow, good strategic opportunities, great lightshow, retro sci-if theme. I want TWD-Prem/LE for the gameplay, although I cannot abide the theme (not a gore/zombie fan).

Other games: mint IM-VE (incoming), Tron, SM, Congo, minty-mint rebuilt AFM.

Thanks.

#2 7 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

I play ST quite a bit, although rarely get past KM, but it's fun watching all those pretty lights and hitting silky smooth ramps over and over.

You answered your own question right there. You still like playing STLE. Whereas you don't even know LOTR. So sell LOTR. Never sell a game you enjoy playing (unless life gets in the way and you have to).

Maybe someday you get LOTR again and find out what all the fuss is about.

#3 7 years ago

I prefer LOTR over ST. The rules are just awesome in that game. It's a journey every time you hit the start button. That said, I don't play it as often as my other games. I usually prefer quick and brutal games. I play my IM and TRON the most.

In your case I would set up LOTR and give it a fair chance. You really need to play it enough to see what the hype is all about. I know that mine is here to stay.

#4 7 years ago

IMO, Star Trek LE happens to be one of those rare games that should never be sold.

#5 7 years ago

OH MY GOD!!!! KEEP THEM BOTH

#6 7 years ago

Tuff one. It is harder to find a LOTR than ST. I love them both and have never read the rules on any of my games. i have great games on LOTR and it is one of my favorites.

#7 7 years ago

ST has been in my collection the longest. Like you I picked up LOTR as an impulse and could never get into it. Games tended to be long and I had kids and a lot of distractions. My LOTR was gone within a year and I haven't missed it. I love Tron also and have a AFM so a lot of parallels between our collections.

#8 7 years ago

I would keep LOTR. I couldn't get rid of Star Trek quick enough. It's a great shooter, but the code just isn't my cup of tea. LOTR has a great rule set. I recommend you read the rule sheet and put a little more time on LOTR. Trek is easy to come by. You can pick another one up later much easier.

#9 7 years ago

Sell Tron-buy Metallica

#10 7 years ago

I have my lotr up as trade bait right now. Have space for a larger collection which is my reason.

The pros for lotr are the deep ruleset, the sound package, and the story it tells. If you know the books/movies it very much gives off the vibe of being in an epic story which is not something any other pin has really pulled off. The rules are not only deep, but they make great use of the playfield forcing you to shoot the entire thing in different ways based off the mode / multiball.

Flipside is, the game can be clunky. When you hit shots right the ball can move. When you fall in a rut it feels like the designer was drunk. The game times can also end up incredibly long. This isn't the game to fire up when you are waiting on your other half to get ready to leave. This is probably the biggest knock against it for me. I love the game dearly, but frankly there have been too many games where its ball two and have to turn it off so I can leave.

#11 7 years ago

Sell both and get a GOT prem/LE. You'll still have the middle-earth feel (with dragons!), an upper left playfield that actually does something, and the Steve Ritchie flow like ST. Best of both worlds, IMO.

#12 7 years ago

Sell LOTR, it's easier to replace than an STLE. Plus as said already, don't sell a game you enjoy playing.

#13 7 years ago

Met is not to be missed, I'd sell both and buy a Met pro.

#14 7 years ago
Quoted from beelzeboob:

Sell both and get a GOT prem/LE. You'll still have the middle-earth feel (with dragons!), an upper left playfield that actually does something, and the Steve Ritchie flow like ST. Best of both worlds, IMO.

This is kind of hilarious, but this is exactly what I did. I sold my LOTR (my only pin) to finance the purchase of a GOTPre. I was also thinking of getting a STPre, but in the end I just decided I liked to GOTPre more. I'd love to also get a STPremium--having these two games would be a great balance of straightforward shoot stuff and strategy/story-themed combo.

Much as I liked LOTR, I found that there was only so far I could go with it. Valinor was a total impossibility, I could only Destroy the Ring one out of every five times because of stupid drains and the oinly time I ever got to "And There and Back" was when I set it to a 9-ball game. Plus it's not a flow game and it's not designed for just shooting stuff to score.

#15 7 years ago

If ur not into deep games then sell them both, I found once I reached the final wizard modes on both games that I lost all interest in playing them anymore and both experiences were over an hour, I would say unload the 2 and grab some great fast playing simple rule set games that beg to played over and over. JMO If I had to choose then STLE

#16 7 years ago

I've even less interest in the Game of Thrones theme! Just don't watch much TV anymore. But haven't played the game yet to see if i'd like how it plays. ST-LE just looks so damn good, but I've had 2yrs with it. LOTR less pretty, but less time had on it.

Appreciate all the tips. I could sell Congo instead?

#17 7 years ago

Well, the two machines I've sold are Congo and LOTR. LOTR for the reasons cited by people above (ball times too long, impossible to finish), and Congo because it wasn't deep enough and I saw most of what the game had to offer in two days.

Nice thing about GOT is everybody talks with a British accent. Should be right up your alley.

Seriously...see if you can put some time on it. If you like LOTR and ST, I think you'll like it even if you're not familiar with the theme.

#18 7 years ago

I have STLE and used to own LOTR. I would sell LOTR. The warp ramp shot in ST is probably my favorite in pinball.

#19 7 years ago

I have both (stpro) st is good, but would be long gone before lotr left.

#20 7 years ago

I have STLE and picked up a LOTR a while back. It didn't last long, just wasn't my thing. ST is my favorite Stern. I think the 2x combo rules, along with the 2x playfield rules for ST make it more fun than the straightforward rules of LOTR. Vengeance is more fun then the ring, and Path of the Dead sucks. LOTR just feels clunky with the POTD, the brick shots to the scoop, and the missed ring shots that fall down. Plus the ball constantly falling into the Shire, yawn.

#21 7 years ago

It does appear to be chalk and cheese. All depending on personal taste.

#22 7 years ago

I have both and have had most of the games you discussed. STLE is special. It's nicer than most of the LEs out there. If you appreciate that sort of thing, keep it. I have STLE next to LOTR LE. I enjoy both and don't plan to move either anytime soon. I just added mirror blades and Zitts pop caps to bling it up a little. It's looking good!

#23 7 years ago

sell SM, pretty similar to ST in layout and shots but your LE is way sweeter than a SM imo.

STLE is like the nicest LE stern has put out imo

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from monkeyboypaul:

It does appear to be chalk and cheese. All depending on personal taste.

It is all about YOUR personal taste and you have already told us you play ST LE more than LOTR. Think of each time you hit the start button as a vote. Over the last few months, ST LE got more votes from you. Sell LOTR.

#25 7 years ago

It sounds to me that you want to sell your LOTR. I don't think you would even miss it.

#26 7 years ago

Keep LOTR , it is all class..

#27 7 years ago

Just to clarify, I think the LOTR would be the last to leave in *my* collection. But, from the OP, it is pretty clear to me that monkeyboypaul wouldn't miss the machine.

#28 7 years ago

I have LOTR-LE and my next door neighbor has STLE. Have played both many, many times. Both, in my opinion, are fantastic games and differ from each other significantly. I'd be happy to have either in my small collection long term. I don't plan to unload LOTR-LE unless life throws me a curve ball, or both my kids go Ivy League!!!

A good condition LOTR-LE is pretty difficult to come by and will probably cost you in the $6000-7000 range. An STLE seems to have gone up in price, or at least asking price compared to when my neighbor picked up his second hand in 2014. Many are posted for more than $7500, a few above $8000.

Good news is you can always get a standard ST or LOTR in the future with relative ease. STLE is significantly different from ST-pro and is a beautiful game. Definitely one of Stern's best LE's. LOTR-LE isn't significantly different from the standard LOTR.

Based on OP's posts, STLE is the one to keep.

#29 7 years ago

I've decided STLE will be going. It's good fun, beautiful and limited edition, however I've had it 2yrs and have seen most stuff, or at least understand how most stuff is achieved, but more importantly it's just too much cash in one game. I'm not wealthy enough to keep everything, so if I want IMVE and TWD, something's got to give. If stern do update the code I can't see any potential major changes that provide enough reason to regret this, or chase it back from the buyer. LOTR will now have its moment, maybe once I stop playing IMVE repeatedly! I'll also sell Congo too.

#30 7 years ago

Congrats on your decision. The IMVE and LOTR will compliment each other nicely. The STLE vs. LOTR decision would be a tough choice for me, because I love both games! I've owned LOTR for years, and I love playing STLE in league. I'm actually considering buying an ST Pre or LE in the next week or two.

#31 7 years ago
Quoted from Razorbak86:

Congrats on your decision. The IMVE and LOTR will compliment each other nicely. The STLE vs. LOTR decision would be a tough choice for me, because I love both games! I've owned LOTR for years, and I love playing STLE in league. I'm actually considering buying an ST Pre or LE in the next week or two.

Toughy, and I'm already regretting it, but you only live once.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
10,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 12.95
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
WilliPinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Little River, SC
€ 7.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Lighting - Backbox
Lermods
Backbox
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus
Led
$ 24.75
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com
Armor and blades
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RamMods
Toys/Add-ons
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Deer Park, NY
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keep-stle-or-lotr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.