Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Blake
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

I'm in the middle of an Evel Knievel restore/pf swap. I'll do the cabinet when it warms up. I completed a Bally Strikes and Spares pf/cabinet restore last year, and have a Bally KISS pf swap on deck, cabinet is already done. I've learned tons, it's been kinda fun, and looking at and playing them when they're done is a great feeling.

Between these 3 games, with 3 reproduction playfields (roughly $2700), 3 sets of cabinet stencils ($500), 3 plastics sets ($450), not to mention all of the associated parts to rebuild everything from the mechs to bulletproofing the boards, I easily have over $4k invested in these 3 classic Ballys.

I'm thinking to myself, damn I coulda bought a nice (insert game here) instead of just making these 3 games look and play better.

At what point do you say screw it, it plays fine, I'm saving this cash for a new (to me) game?

#2 3 years ago

I would rather have one project than 2 working games...
    I dont play, I just fix/restore

#3 3 years ago

I agree with Scott. I’d also add that new games are a dime a dozen... they all are becoming fairly similar in some way or another, many literally fall apart, and generally lack the wonderful detail a lot of older games have (specifically 90’s Bally Williams)

Also, there is something special about having a pristine classic example of a game, and furthermore being the one who brought it back to life.

I like cosmokramer probably work on pins more than I play them

#4 3 years ago

This is one of those instances where you can have your cake and eat it too. Save a lot of cash and still relatively restore a pin to its former glory. Is it going to look new, no. But it can look damn good.

Here are three EM's (still finishing up 'Big Deal') that I have relatively little $ investment in (though a lot of time). I get compliments on how they look and play. Several folks have made significant offers to purchase which I have declined. Mainly for two reasons. 1- I know how solid they are play and condition wise. 2 - As some folks have already pointed out, I get a lot of pride out of knowing I brought them back from the dead.

1973 Williams Gulfstream - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1973-williams-gulfstream-restoration
    1941 Genco Argentine - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1941-genco-argentine-restoration-video#post-6098823
    1977 Williams Big Deal - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1977-williams-big-deal-barn-find-#post-6153168

Also I have several SS pins that have been brought back to life for less then half the cost of a repro PF. Gottlieb Victory being the most recent example. I have yet to post this restore.

#5 3 years ago

Do you enjoy tinkering with and restoring machines? If you are having fun fixing them up, go for it! I personally have never done the full restore, but have done playfield swaps and all sorts of touch up. I personally take pride in leaving every pin I rotate through my basement nicer than I found it. If you are not having fun with it, stop. I would personally recommend sticking to one project at a time, but there is nothing wrong with fixing pins up, and future generations of nerds may thank you for it.

#6 3 years ago

I like working on EM pins cause it doesn't cost me hardly any monies to fix them. Board work sucks. Have my first NIB coming next month...can't wait! Playing pinball > fixing pinball.

#7 3 years ago

For me its restore. Enjoy the process and the way I've done it so far,
    not expensive. Just time consuming.

#8 3 years ago

You also have to remember that for some people, it's much easier to spend 4K-6K over the course of a year or 2 (and have 3 pristine games) than it is to drop that same money at one time on one game. Plus the restoration process can be as fun, if not more fun, than playing a new game. Given the choice of 3 restored early Bally SS games to one new Stern/JJP/etc, I'd take the 3 Ballys any day of the week (depending on which ones of course )

I've also had this same conversation with my wife about house improvements.

"Man, we have XXX dollars worth of games in our basement. We could use that money to remodel our kitchen, or redo our back patio." But then we both look at each other and know deep down inside, we would both rather have a basement full of games.

#9 3 years ago

I'm gradually getting further and further into the restores to the point where the last couple (and next couple) are full out pf swaps and cab restores, and board bulletproofing for games we plan on keeping. But it's starting to add up lol.

At first it was just get one, clean it up, play it, and it's just kinda gotten further and further with each one. So last night while I was prepping the EK playfield for the wiring harness I sent through the dishwasher, I started thinking about how much i've spent on these 3 Ballys. Almost a NIB Pro something.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinzrfun:

At what point do you say screw it, it plays fine, I'm saving this cash for a new (to me) game?

This was your question was it not?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/keep-restoring-or-buy-something-new-?hl=mrm_4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.